Author Topic: Let's Play - Super Robot Wars K! Now up to ep 15!  (Read 87308 times)

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Let's Play - Super Robot Wars K!
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »
Mist didn't really have an opportunity to be a jerk yet.

Extra notes!

Yes, I am using Japanese honorifics here. Well, not all the time. Only when it makes the better joke. For reference, -chan is the "cute" honorific, and -chin is to -chan what -chan is to the official mr or ms equivalent -san. Now you know what Gou-chin means.

Dramatic backstory!

In case it wasn't clear enough. Five years ago, Gou and his lover/partner Mila were both Dannar Base pilots, and while fighting Mimetic Beasts, Mila seemingly died. And in the same event, Gou rescued and became friends with Anna, who was a middle school student at that time. Flash forward five years and Gou and Anna are getting married. Oh Japan...

Also, Core Gunner was stored inside G Gunner, but now it works as an independent unit. Oh Japan #2.

Tengusaur

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 01:24:12 PM »
Well, that was the fastest Start To Mazinger Z I've seen yet in SRW.

Combined Godannar is pretty cool. It's as if its component parts were Gurren Lagann (which wasn't made yet when Godannar went out) and Gao Gai Gar. I still like Kouji and Shizuru more, though.

Apparently Mist has the power of BROOKLYN RAGE! Revlius is pretty okay, though its theme is rather boring and tends to put me to sleep. Except for this part, which I like a lot. Pity it's so brief.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »
I thought Go's uncombined unit was Dannar? ???

Revlius is pretty okay
More like R3vlius, amirite?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »
No, it's Godannar and the upgraded form is Godannar Twin Drive. Or maybe I should say Gou Dannar. The pun, it burns.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
No, it's Godannar and the upgraded form is Godannar Twin Drive. Or maybe I should say Gou Dannar. The pun, it burns.
See, it calls his robot Dannar on screens for some reason.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 03:10:12 PM »
Yeah, that's because Go Dannar is its full name, Dannar for short. Okusaer's full name is technically Neo Okusaer. And yes, Go Okusaer exists as well. No Neo Dannar in sight, however.

In case anyone's curious, Dannar and Okusaer are named after Japanese words for husband and wife. Danna and okusan, respectively.

Nerd-o-rama

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »
I actually like Active Mind.  Revlius is pretty bland, though.

Anyway, that was a fun first mission.  Now prepare for like 11 straight Gaiking missions with no breaks and minimal other canon involvement.

Also, are you going to go for downing the battleship next level?  It's theoretically possible, just a pain in the ass.

Gundam Optimal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 03:55:57 PM »
Interesting setup, I'll admit to being curious where they're going with this.

As for upgrades and the like....Well, out of the current units I'd only much care about Godannar, Okaseur, Mazinger and maybe Core Gunner. So if people want to hold back on spending cash now, I'll understand until we get a bigger roster, but I won't complain if Cubey starts spending now either.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

kamikasei

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Bardiche/Raising Heart OTP.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »
Kami, you have a dirty mind! How dare you accuse Godannar, an ecchi fanservice show, of having dirty innuendo!

As for upgrades, I think Godannar and Okusaer share upgrades, so they're the best bet for now. But I don't plan to upgrade anything yet. We need that money. For the future.

EDIT, because I forgot to answer Nerdo.

[spoiler]I could set up the teams to down the battleship, but eh. Only after recording the mission footage did I realize how to do it. This is not necessary for any secret so I'll pass.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:35:22 PM by Cubey »

Neon Knight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 10:54:29 PM »
Now you know what Gou-chin means.
Raise your hand if you just thought of something naughty.

*raises hand*

___

Nice first update, looking forward to more. Almost wish I had voted for Godannar at the start, since so far it's the most entertaining mech on the field.

Steam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 11:30:46 AM »
It'll take a few more missions for us to get King Gainer and then Gun X Sword's right around the corner.  But there's some awesome units for both.  And Gun X Sword and Godannar were done by the same director, so you can expect some similarities with quirky machines.  Like El Dora V, which is also a send-up to GaoGaiGar.  And pretty much every 70s era mecha show.

... And then we'll get Fafner.
"While I'm away, will you please take care of yourself?  [Alcohol] is not good for your health."
"Alcohol is humanity's friend.  Can I abandon a friend?"
"Even if people think so, what about the alcohol?"
"It's always alcohol's real wish to be drunk."

Tengusaur

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »
Dude, spoilers much?

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 01:22:29 PM »
You thought there wouldn't be an update on Easter.

You thought wrong.

Episode 2!
The Gaiking plot starts (and never stops)!

Remember the kid, Daiya, from the last update? He's on a beach now.

Daiya: The monsters are coming, just like five years ago! Why doesn't anyone believe me? Drats.
Naoto: Because it's... kinda hard to believe, Daiya.

Naoto, ordinary schoolkid and (against his better judgement) Daiya's only friend

Daiya: What's so hard to believe about giant, armored beasts summoned by the black flame?! Besides, one of them was different. It was friendly, and five years ago I ended up on board! There were people there and they gave me this.
Naoto: This lens, I know. You said so already, but... ow! It's really warm!
Daiya: Hey, it really is! What's going on?

Boom! Explosion time! The best time to return back to Dannar Base.

Kiriko: Now you say you forgot your past, Mist... How awfully convenient... and suspicious.
Mist: Not as suspicious as Gou marrying your daughter. How young is she? Is that even legal?

Alert!

Mist: Good timing.
Momochi: Ma'am, an unidentified force is attacking! It's not the Mimetic Beasts!
Kiriko: Dannar Base crew, get going! Kouji and Sayaka - I'm sorry that you got dragged into this. You don't have to come and fight now. In fact, you shouldn't.
Kouji (Kabuto): What, Mazinger and not fighting? No way! See, Professor Yumi is okay with us tagging along.

Main screen turn on.

Professor Yumi: The enemy that just appeared is most likely the Darius Empire. It is a mysterious group that was off our radar until not too long ago. The one thing we know about them is that they want to conquer the world (OF COURSE). And yes, I give permission for Kouji and Sayaka to fight them.
Kouji (Kabuto): Thank you Professor Exposition!
Sayaka: Thanks, dad!
Kiriko: Sigh... I need a drink.

And so, everyone went to fight the monsters!

Suspage: Yes! Nobody can stand in the way of Darius Empire! Submit now, pitiful worms, or be crushed under these giant feet! Most fabulously.

Suspage, Kefka-wannabe

Suspage: Oho, the resistance arrives. I will be your villain of the day, so do me a favour and DIE!

Kouji (Kabuto): These things look like Mechabeasts! Is that bastard Doctor Hell, back!
Kouji (Tetsuya): Hey, look at that weird battleship!
Shizuru: Why are you out of your bed, Kouji?

Gou: Watch out, they're attacking!

The battle starts! Enemies aren't too tough (it's only the second stage), but that's enough to make an impression on a young mind.

Daiya's mom: Wait, where are you going? Daiya! Stay right here!
Daiya: No, mom! I'm sorry but I gotta go! These armored beasts are back! That means... that means we can find father! I know he didn't die five years ago!
Daiya's mom: It's dangerous outside! These monsters are out there!
Daiya: I know, which is why I gotta go! They're the key!
Naoto: A harpoon?! He's going to fight them?

Mist: There're two enemy types! This one's even uglier, I'll shoot it!
Shizuru: Engaging sniping mode. Supporting fire!

Okay, it wasn't an actual offensive support. Supports work slightly differently in K than in other SRW titles. We will see soon enough.

Boss: You didn't think I'd call it quits, right? Ha ha ha! Watch this, Boss Borot's real power!

I can't believe that worked. Boss's attacks are so hilariously weak, the game takes pity on us and summons mysterious stranger reinforcements.

See?

Kiriko: What is this now?
Kouji (Kabuto): A giant dinosaur ship!
Kagemaru: New vessel, identify yourself!

Captain Garis, the masked commander

Garis: My name is Garis and this is the Daiku-Maryu. It is the mission of my men to battle Darius. We will lend you our assistance!

Suspage: The rebels are here! Lucky day - helmsman, change your direction so we can fire at them!

Kouji (Tetsuya): Friendly reinforcements! Excellent opportunity to show everyone what G Gunner is capable of. Okay! Strong Buster - FIRE!
Gou: Let's go, Anna! Godannar Twin Drive, combine!
Anna: Alright, Gou-chin!
Kouji (Tetsuya): Please don't steal my spotlight, Gou-chin...

Gou: Ahh, don't call me Gou-chin!
Anna: Gou-chin!
Gou-chin: Groan... what is it, Anna?
Anna: We're under attack!

Suspage: Damn! Damnation! How could that miss? And what's with the triple take attack!?

Daiya: Okay. I have a harpoon and the big beasts are really... big. But I have the height advantage! I'll jump on them!
Mysterious voice: Can you hear me? Please leave this place. We're fighting and it's really dangerous.
Daiya: A girl? A girl's voice... coming from my lens! Wait. A girl gave me that lens five years ago! It was you, wasn't it?
Voice: Umm... well, you have to go now or you will get killed!
Daiya: I can't do that! Okay, time to pretend this is One Piece. Jump!

Voice: Captain! That boy just jumped off a high tower! He will get killed!
Garis: We must rescue him. Daiku-Maryu, move out immediately!

The giant dinosaur-like machine saves Daiya in the only way possible. That is, by eating him. Wait, what?

Daiya: Woah! Woah! I was eaten! Wait, a giant robot? What's going on!

Daiya: Why did I turn Super Saiyan?
Voice: That wasn't supposed to happen... but it seems you are the chosen one! You are the only one capable of piloting this machine - Gaiking. It woke up because of your Flame.
Daiya: I don't get it...
Voice: In short, we want you to get out and use Gaiking to fight the enemy.
Daiya: Woah, that was fast! Can I really do that?

Shizuru: Sniper Shot!
Suspage: Not so fast! Engage the Monty Python cannon!

Suspage: Hey, where did all the beasts go?
Kouji (Tetsuya): Hehe... I was the hero for a day after all.
Suspage: This doesn't look good...

???: Don't forget your original mission, Suspage. This was only a diversion.
Suspage: You!
???: Why don't you retreat for now? Here, I brought a few friends to cover your escape.
Suspage: Grr... withdraw!
???: Smart boy.

Anna: Gou-chin, look! Mimetic Beasts!
Kouji (Kabuto): What, we're going mimetic now? That doesn't make any sense!

Suspage's battleship withdraws in this stage if you either shoot down all his mooks or the ship's HP drops under 6000 HP. You can drop him and get some extra items and money for your trouble, but that requires careful preparation. Preparation I do not have the patience for! Ha ha ha!

Ahem, please disregard that last sentence.

Garis: More enemies appear! All units, scramble and cover Gaiking. Serpent, Stinger, Bunker Crab - go!

Gaiking support pilots role call!

Puria, hot-headed ace dogfighter

Lee, laidback martial artist

Yanma, Hacho and Bubi - bums

Lee: Here we go... alright, Gaiking. We've got your back.
Yanma: We're totally trustworthy. Believe us.
Bubi: Yup, yup.
Puria: Hey, less chatter, more support fire! Despair Sight!

The enemy is kinda out of their league. Even if they cheat by stacking two units on one tile! But wait, what's this!

Single units whose pilots have the Combo Attack ability can hit both enemies in a group. Or if the ability's rank is high, several groups at once. This only works with certain attacks, and there's a drop in damage drop.
Unfortunately, so far the list of our people with Combo Attack includes Mist, and Mist alone.

Garis: Daiku-Maryu, engage the opposition. Mr Rongo, prepare the Dragon Cutter!

Rongo, the unfortunately-named helmsman

Rongo: Aye aye! Dragon Cutter!
Lee: Puria went on ahead as usual...
Yanma: We gotta help Big Sis, or she'll yell at us for being useless!
Lee: Then, let's do just that. Serpent Cannon! Laying cover fire!

Daiya: Everyone's fighting, I gotta help them!
Voice: Quick, use the Despair Sight!
Daiya: How! Ah, this button? Okay! Despair Sight!
Mimetic Beast: Gao...

Insert your own "if looks could kill" joke here.

The rest of the mission is pretty much a roundup of remaining enemy forces. It's almost like they were brought here only to buy time, not to destroy anything. But what are the odds of that?

For now, enjoy these dynamic kills.

Mist: Steard, beam gun mode on. I won't miss!
Shizuru: Spiral Stinger, engage!
Kouji (Tetsuya): Oh, I wish I was that Mimetic Beast for once!
Shizuru: Idiot.
Daiya: Let's try another attack! Counter Cross!
Boss: No, my screentime!

Daiya: I knew it. Everything was real, all along.
Garis: We must depart immediately.
Daiya: Wait! I must know about my father! We got separated five years ago, when you rescued me! Tell me!

Voice: Do you want to know? If you learn about Daiku-Maryu and Darius, you cannot go back.
Daiya: Yes! I need to know!
Voice: Then, please come aboard.

Kouji (Kabuto): So it wasn't Dr Hell after all.
Garis: No. The Darius Empire exists in a different world, under the Earth's surface. There are portals between that world and Earth, and one is not far from here. The Empire seeks to expand itself at Earth's nations' expense. And we are here to stop that from happening.
Mist: Conquer, destroy... and here I expected some peace for a change. Conflict follows me whenever I go.
Kiriko: Ooooh?
Mist: Umm, I mean. My head. Ow, can't remember a thing!
Garis: I should return to Daiku-Maryu. I have a guest to attend to.

Daiya: Hello, voice! Where are you?

Ruru: Welcome on board of Daiku-Maryu, Daiya.

Ruru, operations officer

Daiya: I remember! I really met you five years ago! You saved me from drowning! And then you gave me that lens!
Ruru: Yes. Because I believed you were the one chosen to pilot Gaiking. That one day you would help us.
Daiya: So, is this something special? Like a chosen one's ring or something?
Ruru: Actually, it's just a communicator.
Daiya: Oh... so, tell me! About that Darius thing!

Shizuka, Daiku-Maryu's chief engineer

Shizuka: Let's do that offscreen. Hello, Daiya. Nice to meet you. My name's Shizuka, and I'm the boss of the belowdecks.
Daiya: Offscreen? Talk about convenient!

Ow, the fourth wall. Jump cut!

???: Don't forget your original mission, Suspage. Head for Kyuushu. If we wake up that... it'll help everyone in our little group of friends.
Suspage: Tch. Who does this guy thinks he is? Some outsider thinks he can boss me around...

Daiya: So, you don't know about my father...
Shizuka: I'm sorry. Maybe the captain will know more! In the meantime, meet the rest of the crew.

Puria: So, this shrimp is Gaiking's pilot? I expected someone stronger-looking...
Daiya: Hey!
Puria: Well, whatever. Nice to meet you kid. Name's Puria Richardson.
Daiya: Urgh... tough to pronounce name... Nice to meet you, Puria Retardo-san.
Puria: HEY! You want me to break your arm?!
Daiya: Ow! What did I do now!

Gou: Anna... I'm sorry for earlier. I doubted your ability to fight. Or maybe I wasn't sure I could protect you.
Anna: Oh? So serious, no shanenigans? What's going on this time, Gou-chin?
Gou: But it changed. When we combined, all my doubts were dispelled! I... never told you "I do". Well, this is why we are here now. I do.
Anna: Gou-chin...
Gou: Anna...
Priest cameo: I'm still here, you know. Get a room you two.

Daiya's mom: What happened now, Daiya? Where are you going this time? Your hand! Is it broken?
Daiya: No, it's okay! Mom... I'm really glad that you raised me alone when dad went missing. And now, I gotta repay for that! I know he's alive. I'm off to find him! With Gaiking and Daiku-Maryu!
Daiya's mom: What are you talking about!
Daiya: Anyway... I'm off! Don't worry about me! Damn... I really should've said that in a cooler way...

Intermission time! And now we have something to play with.

A servomotor will upgrade Revlius's mobility. Hopefully Mist will get hit less now. What, you didn't know? He scored a hit for 50% of his HP this stage. This totally happened.

New units in our roster!
[spoiler]Daiku-Maryu: It's a battleship. That means it has lots of HP, an ability to dock and release units, and only average weapons. Well, the latter improves if Gaiking is not around on the map, but we don't want that, because...

Gaiking: In one word, powerhouse. It has really strong attacks and only keeps getting better as the game progresses. On the other hand, it runs out of juice really fast.

Stinger: Support unit. Can repair, can dodge quite well, fast too. Average weapons.

Serpent: Support unit. Can resupply, a decent attacker. I would be unwise to totally ignore Lee, because he gets a huge upgrade later.

Kani Tank Crab Bunker: Support unit. Do we see a pattern yet? Tankiest of the three, worst dodging. Can resupply. Has three pilots - just like Boss Borot![/spoiler]

Steam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2011, 01:36:28 PM »
And so the string of Gaiking filler missions commences.

But damn, fond times.  I watched Gaiking like... two years ago.  Maybe three.  First experience with Riku Sanjo's writing, Psycho Lover's singing, and the conniving villain who will go unmentioned so as to not spoil anyone.

Anyways, this was a good installment.  Plus, now I can actually understand the SRW K plot!
"While I'm away, will you please take care of yourself?  [Alcohol] is not good for your health."

Tengusaur

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 01:51:54 PM »
Kouji (Tetsuya): Friendly reinforcements! Excellent opportunity to show everyone what G Gunner is capable of. Okay! Strong Buster - FIRE!

"Yatta!" This is one of the best dynamic kill animations out there. Or most amusing at least.

Also, compare the beginning of this theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTaSW-ursG0
And this theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1TfkO0Nbbk

[spoiler]Gaiking is Macross![/spoiler]

Steam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »

"Yatta!" This is one of the best dynamic kill animations out there. Or most amusing at least.

Also, compare the beginning of this theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTaSW-ursG0
And this theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1TfkO0Nbbk

[spoiler]Gaiking is Macross![/spoiler]

Scarily enough, the Gaiking show does have Real Robot mentalities at points.  Monsters of the week, or at least solo monsters they fight, are insanely rare and usually they're up against hordes coming at them all at once.

Nerd-o-rama

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 11:20:49 PM »
Scarily enough, the Gaiking show does have Real Robot mentalities at points.  Monsters of the week, or at least solo monsters they fight, are insanely rare and usually they're up against hordes coming at them all at once.

Man I better go tell Gunbuster they're a Real Robot.

Also I played all the way through Alpha 2 without being about to tell was "Despa Sight" was supposed to mean.  I GUESS it could be Despair...

Steam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »

Man I better go tell Gunbuster they're a Real Robot.

Also I played all the way through Alpha 2 without being about to tell was "Despa Sight" was supposed to mean.  I GUESS it could be Despair...

Quiet you.  I didn't say Gaiking was a Real Robot, it just had some Real Robot sensibilities.

Though it gets weird when we get "Despair Sight" attacks coming out of people's [spoiler]arms[/spoiler].
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:52:19 PM by Steam »

Tengusaur

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »
[spoiler]I thought it's gonna be "butts".[/spoiler]