Author Topic: Maximize skill points  (Read 12010 times)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Maximize skill points
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 10:27:13 AM »
Bardic Knack doesn't stack with Jack of All Trades, though that could partially be a function of Jack of All Trades being written incorrectly. Still, even if it did grant one virtual rank in a skill, it wouldn't fulfill the actual prerequisite for Bardic Knack, which is to have on actual rank in trained skills.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »
Bardic Knack doesn't stack with Jack of All Trades, though that could partially be a function of Jack of All Trades being written incorrectly. Still, even if it did grant one virtual rank in a skill, it wouldn't fulfill the actual prerequisite for Bardic Knack, which is to have on actual rank in trained skills.
Oh it works.

Exact wording is "If the skill doesn't allow untrained checks you must have at least 1 actual rank to attempt the check."

Bardic Knack isn't a check: "When making any skill check you can use 1/2 your bard level (rounded down) in place of the number of ranks you have in the skill (even if that number is 0)." therefor it is talking about skill checks, it is a reminder of skill rules nothing else. Jack Of All Trades override the 1 rank for trained only skills and Bardic Knack doesn't require 1 rank in a skill for it's bonus to apply.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

TheAbyssDragon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 11:10:28 AM »
Can any of those feats be taken as fighter bonus feats? If so, a Changeling Feat Rogue might be an easy route to take.