Author Topic: Can a Beguiler/Rogue Multiclass Work?  (Read 4527 times)

Amoren

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Can a Beguiler/Rogue Multiclass Work?
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
This is mostly idle pondering for me.  I have a character created under gestalt rules for a campaign I might run, who's a rogue/something (likely a dash of swordsage) gestalted with a Beguiler, which is fluffed as the innate magical power of his race brought out via a magical graft given to him by his father.  However, the character's origins are from a campaign my friend is running, which ended with him dying and his father sending a servant to retrieve his body to be resurrected.  Since then the party's wandered off into Ravenloft, which is where my current character is, but eventually we (well, they) will be returning to their prime plane, and since my character is a Bone Knight from a different plane he wouldn't return with them.  So, I had the fun thought of my resurrected character returning to help out once they returned!

The problem is trying to figure out how to mesh Beguiler and Rogue together without gestalt rules.  My initial thought was going something like Rogue 1/Beguiler 4/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster...  Basically the 'standard' arcane rogue with wizard levels swapped out for beguiler levels.  However, I took another look at the Beguiler Class and love its sixth level ability...  Which changes things a bit.

Basically, I want to create an arcane rogue which fights like a rogue (being sneaky, feinting, and using sneak attack thanks to Unseen Seer/Arcane Trickster and Hunter's Eye), supported with illusion and enchantment spells for buffs and control.  Which is why I thought about going six levels into Beguiler, since he'd now be able to swift action feint (and when potentially combined with surprising riposte, could lead to a lot of fun), then again, there is also Greater Invisibility which does just as well without three feats to cost.  It doesn't need to be Beguiler, but the class meshes extremely well with the concept and I'd much prefer a spontaneous spell caster who doesn't have to lug around a spell book. 

I'd figure I'd pump Int over Dex and grab the Fey Mystery Initiate feat (the character already had it, to boot!), which will make him surprisingly hardy for a rogue type with a d6/d4 hit die.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Can a Beguiler/Rogue Multiclass Work?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:44:10 AM »
Depending on what level you start at, you could probably do fine with Rogue/Beguiler/Unseen Seer, even if you do take six Beguiler levels.  You could use Unseen Seer to grab Hunter's Eye to make up for the lost Sneak Attack dice, or just put some ranks into UMD and use a Wand Chamber.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Can a Beguiler/Rogue Multiclass Work?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:12:11 AM »
Rogue 2/Beguiler 5/Unseen Seer 10/Uncanny Trickster 3

I seem to recall a feat or something that was like Power Attack, but was for Light weapons instead of One-handed/Two-handed weapons.  That combined with some feat from Dragon (don't remember it off-hand, lets you trade out 1d6 SA for a +2 attack bonus) will be a very useful combination with Hunter's Eye, since it would bypass SA immunity.