Author Topic: Creating Tombstone's Doc Holiday  (Read 4759 times)

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
Creating Tombstone's Doc Holiday
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »
I would like to create a character for http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/ that's inspired by Doc Holiday and the cast of Tombstone, the awesome western movie.

I have some ideas of my own, but wondered what people here could come up with. The setting I am in doesn't have guns, we don't have a huge list of races available but if there's an amazing one I could ask, and there is a limit of four multiclasses. Also, if we take a PRC we have to finish it. Any thoughts?

I'm your huckleberry : D

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Creating Tombstone's Doc Holiday
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »
Sounds like a job for the Mailman.  Delivering the mail in the form of Orb of Force bullets one instagib at a time since 2009 :)
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:49:34 PM »
Mailman? I'd like to see it, but would like to hear ideas that at least sound like they might work without books being thrown at people  :lmao

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Ranger5/Scorpion Heritor10?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:18:52 PM »
Pondering rogueish character with a flair for dispensing justice in a CN manner. Shame Paladins have been ruled LG territory only in the campaign ; -;

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 10:21:50 PM »
You can be a paladin without being a Paladin.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:26:26 PM »
Very true. Crusader for example, but does Doc Holiday really have any cause... maybe hedonism lol. A lot of what the character would be is in the character, but there are two things to aim for in terms of mechanics: Fast, and Deadly.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
So... Ranger5/Scorpion Heritor10, with Improved Initiative and Favored Enemy: Human? :p

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »
So... Ranger5/Scorpion Heritor10, with Improved Initiative and Favored Enemy: Human? :p

I'm not feeling the heat. I will have to sleep on it.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:01:04 PM »
What about something akin to this?

Revolver Ocelot
Male Human Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 2/Fighter 1/Exotic Weapon Master 3/Swashbuckler 10
Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Human)
Hit Dice: 3d6+3/17d10+17 (136 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+0 armor, +4 Dex, -1 Flaw, +3 Shield of Blades), 16 touch, 10 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +19/+19
Attack: Masterwork Hand Crossbow with a Gnome Crossbow Sight +25 ranged (1d4+9/19-20x2; 90ft.)
Full Attack: Masterwork Hand Crossbow with a Gnome Crossbow Sight +25/+20/+15/+10 ranged (1d4+9/19-20x2; 90ft.)
Full Attack (Two-Weapon Fighting & Sneak Attacking): Two Masterwork Hand Crossbows with Gnome Crossbow Sights +23/+23/+18/+13/+8 ranged (1d4+13+8d6+20/19-20x2; 90ft.)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +8d6
Special Qualities: Poison Use, Shield of Blades (+3), Insightful Strike, Feign Death, Penetrating Strike, Hit-and-Run Tactics, Exotic Weapon Stunt (Close-Quarters Ranged Combat, Ranged Disarm & Twin Exotic Weapon Fighting), Seduction, Grace (+2), Swift & Deadly, Improved Flanking, Lucky (1/day), and Acrobatic Skill Mastery.
Saves: Fort +15; Ref +14; Will +6
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: Bluff +24, Craft (Poisonmaking) +9, Craft (Weaponsmithing) +14, Gather Information +26, Hide +15, Intimidate +26, Knowledge (Local) +15, Move Silently +9, Perform (Weapon Drill) +21, Sense Motive +5, Sleight of Hand +29, Tumble +27 and Use Magical Device +22.
Skill TricksFeats: Point Blank Shot [1st], Able Learner [Human], Quick Draw [Flaw], Craven [Flaw], Weapon Finesse [Swash1st], Hand Crossbow Focus [3rd], Daring Outlaw [6th], Precise Shot [Fighter1st], Crossbow Sniper [9th], Woodland Archer [12th], Deadeye Shot [15th], and Improved Precise Shot [18th].
Flaws: Noncombatant and Vulnerable.
Languages: Common, Drow Sign Language, Goblin, and Undercommon.
Challenge Rating: 20
Variants Used: Feign Death, Hit-and-Run Tactics, Penetrating Strike, Poison Use, Shield of Blades and Swift & Deadly.
Books used

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »
Might be an excuse to use the crossbow sniper feat, the only question is light crossbows or hand crossbows.

rogue4/scout6/fighter4/ranger6

Key feats:
crossbow sniper (one bonus of this feat is that it extends your skirmish and sneak attack range to 60')
swift hunter
swift ambusher
rapid reload
weapon focus and specialization

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 11:14:26 PM »
Revolver Ocelot is the kind of build I was looking for, spiffy stuff :D

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 09:31:42 AM »
Where does all of Ocelots damage come from? Other than Craven which gives +20... where is the +13 coming from?

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 10:05:07 AM »
Hit And Run Tactics (Hit And Run Fighter 1) adds Dex to damage within 60' against flatfooted targets.  (Greater Blink spell or Ring of Blinking or Hide+Snipe+Darkstalker to get flatfooted targets).

Crossbow Sniper adds half your dex to damage with crossbows.

Deadeye Shot adds your dex to damage with ranged weapons.

Keep in mind that in a partially optimized group or better, Ocelot will need minor to large tweaking in order to be playable.  He's a proof of concept build, not designed for optimization or actual play.

He also tends to suck a bit at lower levels, if you posted the exact level you were going to start play at and what sources are open, I could probably put together a more specialized build for you.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »
Starting at 1, going to 20 unless I die. All sources open/requestable except Dragon Magazine/DragonLance.

Races/Templates are pretty restricted http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/races , and there is a four class limit. Could push it to five possibly if absolutely necessary. ToB is in, but the feats and PRCs arent.

Any ideas you have would be much appreciated. All I got so far was shuffling around a few levels in the Ocelot build to include a couple of levels for Swordsage(Assassin Stance/other goodies) maybe.

Extra feats aren't an issue, and it's 36pts 1:1 max18 preracials with stats starting at 8.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:17:19 AM by Takanaki »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »
2nding Dark Sam's Hand Crossbow idea.

Normally any Carnivore ranged X would work, but I don't remember a "hand" build.
'Course this is just the ranged part.
Doc can't be a Pixie can he ?
 ;)

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »
Pixie has too high LA for me, and yea... wouldn't feel as badass coming from a Pixie, or maybe it would be more badass... I dunno. Either way, LA+1 is as high as i'd go for a race and just picking plain ol' Human helps with a feat.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »
This is cross-thread polination (or pollution, depending ...), but what do you think about something like Carnivore's Soulbow build?  It's a hail of blasts every round ...

You might even be able to do it w/ TWF. 

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 10:25:52 PM »
I took a look at it, but honestly I prefer this one. Psionic stuff doesn't have the same feel to it as a cold mundane bolt to the face.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 10:15:23 PM »
Another victory for my Ocelot build! Yes!