Author Topic: need help advice building an odd sor.  (Read 2135 times)

borsniel

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
need help advice building an odd sor.
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »
i just joined a game and need to build the charter by Sunday.
LV7
stats
CN
human
hp:46
str:11
dex:15
con:15
cha:18
wis:12
int:12

house rules:
he game me a d6 HD and i get to choose 3 spells of any level i can cast to add to my spell list every level so at lv 7 i have 21 spells over levels 0 to 3. sadly im restricted to the phb, dmg, and MM1. sucks but not impossible. i was thinking of picking up improved familiar with an imp or something similar and wanted to hear some input, thanks in advance.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: need help advice building an odd sor.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »
Interesting House rule.  On the bright side, starting at 3rd level, you'll always know more spells than the Sorcerer as written.  It's kind of a drag that to learn a cantrip you have to give up the chance to learn an extra spell of a higher level.  You'll probably want Read Magic and Detect Magic.  Others are nice to have but can be done without.

This post discusses the relative merits of core metamagic feats and core sorcerer spells up to 5th level.  (Once you get a feel for those, you can probably judge higher-level spells on your own.)  It also has links to some other threads on sorcery and wizardry, and the thread as a whole is intended to help design an effective sorcerer.

Unfortunately, the only core prestige class that fits the Sorcerer is the Archmage.  Fortunately, it fits him like a glove, so I'd plan my first 14 levels around qualifying if I thought the game would go to level 15.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
Improved familiar is an excellent feat choice, imps are good as are earth elementals (earth glide for scouting) and air elementals. Improved initative is another good core feat. Beyond that I'd pick up spell focus in whatever school(s) with spells you know that have save DCs (conjuration in my case).

Not knowing what the rest of your party looks like makes it a bit difficult to pick spell but going in blind I'd choose:

1-silent image, charm person, grease, enlarge person, protection from evil
2-alter self, glitterdust, web, scorching ray*
3-haste, dispel magic (pick something else if another caster has this one), summon monster III*, stinking cloud*

*bonus spell via house rule

You have a flexible group of spells here and spells that target all three saves. You can do a little bit of everything so you're never in a situation where you're useless.

borsniel

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 06:46:20 PM »
not bad and just to clarify were lv7 but i can cast up too 3rd level spells. also the DM gave me a ring of wizardry 1 and bracers of Armour +6, im gonna check out that post so thanks for the link  :)

Edit: any one know where i can find TLN's spell analysis guide ive tried searching for it to no avail.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:23:16 PM by borsniel »

saethone

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:33:21 AM »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 03:40:12 AM »
I'm about to cover three of the S's of life, but once out of the throne room, I'll work on a build for you.  Is the entire game strictly Core with house rules?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

borsniel

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 04:07:48 AM »
thanks for the advice every one, ive decided to go with a tanking sor just for shits and giggles. turned out pretty well with a 31 in ac and good battle field control with things like ghoul touch and grease, should be a blast to play. once again thanks for all the advice.