Author Topic: Crafting Items in a World with No XP  (Read 983 times)

linklord231

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Crafting Items in a World with No XP
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »
I just started playing as an Artificer in a campaign where the DM doesn't give out XP.  That's not to say we don't level, it's just that rather than calculating XP he just gives us levels when he feels we've earned them (usually at the end of an adventure, or once every 3-4 sessions for longer adventures).  Obviously, while it saves him work by not having to mess with the XP tables and parties of characters with different levels, this creates a problem for things like crafting items and casting spells with an XP component.  He already has a system in place where spells with XP components instead require a material component worth 2.5 times the XP cost.  But we're having a hard time coming up with fair rules for item creation, especially for Artificers.  As any of you who are familiar with the class know, Artificers get a Craft Reserve that basically gives free XP that can only be used for crafting.  They also get the ability to suck the XP out of items they found and won't use, and add that to their Craft Reserve.  So basically, my question is: Has any of you had this problem before?  What would be a fair replacement for an Artificer's Craft Reserve in a world where XP doesn't exist?  My DM and I tooled around with the idea that I could sell stuff for an extra percentage of its market value, but felt that would be unfair to the other players.  What do you think of that idea?
I suppose artificers are a little overpowered as is, so giving them 2 class features that do literally nothing wouldn't be too unbalancing for them, but it does kind of take away from the flavor of the class. 

Thanks in advance!

Di Bastet

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Crafting Items in a World with No XP
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
The artificer should gain a craft reserve in form of GP, and suck gp of items. We do this in may games, 'cause we play Pathfinder, and there's no xp cost for nothing in pathfinder.