Author Topic: Need help on a solo build  (Read 3144 times)

shandiris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Need help on a solo build
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »
I recently got invited to a solo campaign, in which a good friend of mine is going to DM.
Update with rule changes:

ECL 12 with 1 free LA
166k gp
2 flaws
40pt buy

Further houserules:
[spoiler]No leadership but i can hire lvl 1 employees/mercenaries for 2gp/day
Only 1 Nightstick
No polymorph line/shapechange
No XP tricks
No Dark Chaos Shuffle
Dragon Magazine on case by case
Any other blatant cheese[/spoiler]

Current Build:

Whisper Gnome, Necropolitan, Evolved Undead
Cleric 1/Targeteer 1/Mystic Ranger 10

Sword of the Arcane Order
Rapid Reload**
Darkstalker**
Persist Spell
Extra Turning
Divine Metamagic (Persist Spell)
Craven
Extend Spell*
Track *
Rapid Shot*
Endurance*
EWP Great CrossbowRules:
ECL 11 with 1 free LA
122k gp
2 Flaws
40 point buy

Further houserules:My personal requirements:
Using a Crossbow
Whisper Gnome base
Able to shoot from 10.000 feet away while doing good damage
Survivability/Escape ability
Sneaky

OK, so I'm doubting whether to go full caster here since I think i need alot of feats to pull this off. These are probaly my base, which doesnt leave a lot of room for shenanigans like DMM.

EWP Great Crossbow
Weapon Focus
Crossbow Sniper
Rapid Reload
Darkstalker

Considered Classes

Cragtop Archer 3 (Spot bonus, +2 dmg, 15 range increments)
Ranger 2 (Track and Rapid Shot, skills)
Assassin 1 (poison use, sneak attack, skills)
Fighter 4 (feats)
Psychic Warrior 2 (Feats + Extend Range on spell list)
Cleric 1 (for Baator domain: perfect vision)
Targeteer 1 (Dex to dmg)
Full Cleric (DMM crazyness)
Full Archivist (Ranger + Cleric Spells)

Considered Templates:
Necropolitan -> evolved Undead (Fast healing)
Dark (Hide in plain sight)

Spells/Powers I want to cast or get as a wand/dorje:
[spoiler]Extend Range (psionic power) CL 9
Call Item
Guided Shot
Hawkeye
Silent Image
Lesser Vigor
Summon Monster I
Lay of the Land[/spoiler]

So basicly my questions are these:
1.   Any feats you can suggest?
2.   What classes should i go for?
3.4.   Any spells/powers i missed?[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:28:58 AM by shandiris »

fdu

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: Need help on a solo build
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
RL snipers have a spotter..
What's yours going to be? I mean the glass of distance is nice and all, but finding somebody when you don't know where to look can be quite hard..
Maybe Malphas (for the raven) is an idea? Full caster does give you more divination/survivability btw so I would go that route.

shandiris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:05:57 AM »
Hmm not a lot of response so far..

But thanks for the suggestion fdu, some way of getting Malphas would be really nice (It's either 2 feats for one of its powers or binder 1 + 1 feat for all of it's powers right?)

Something like archivist would give me way more options, but I really want cleric 1 for the Baator domain (sniping at night) and Targeteer 1. So build would then be Target 1/cleric 1/archvist 9. (Any way I can squeeze more turning attempts in there?)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:40:03 AM »
Might also consider going Mystic Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order and the Shooting Star sub levels, as this will get you 0th through 5th level spells off both the Sor/Wiz list and the Ranger list.  You can combine your "scope" with Far Shot, sniper's shot, hunter's eye, and hunter's mercy, using a kaorti resin bolt (x4 crit multiplier) and the feat Telling Blow to add sneak attack to any crits.  Also, consider Scout 3/Mystic Ranger 8, which while only netting 0th-4th level spells, also gives 11 levels of Skirmish, and IIRC either Evasion or Uncanny Dodge (hopefully the former, as you can nab the latter, and Improved even, with the full Primal line of spells, which are good all day buffs anyhow).

Assuming a modest CL of 12, that's 3d6 Skirmish, 4d6 Sneak Attack, 4x weapon damage, 4(dex mod x 1.5), one one shot, at triple the usual range (two doublings is a tripling, one from the scope, one from Far Shot, possibly a quadruple range shot if Horizon Goggles also stack with all this), out to ten range increments, with no penalty at all for range.  Sound good?

EDIT : And this only uses two feats, meaning you can also have nice stuff like Darkstalker, Swift and Silent, and Mounted Shot if you're properly using phantasmal steed.  You're basically capable of being the ultimate Hun.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:41:43 AM by KellKheraptis »
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:57:55 AM »
Most turn attempts I've seen on a build (without burning feats on Extra Turning and such) was Azurin Cleric/Master of Radiance/Dread Necromancer.  You'd have to be LN, TN, or CN (MoR needs nonevil, DN needs nongood).  Azurin Cleric racial sub level gets Channel Incarnum, which is distinct from Turn/Rebuke Undead but can be used to power Divine feats.  MoR gets (but does not require) Turn Undead and DN gets Rebuke Undead.  I'm guessing that with the Baatorian domain, you expect to be LE, so that probably eliminates MoR from the equation.

I'd like to help more, but I'm not really familiar with the Targeteer or with optimizing crossbows.

shandiris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »
Might also consider going Mystic Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order and the Shooting Star sub levels, as this will get you 0th through 5th level spells off both the Sor/Wiz list and the Ranger list.  You can combine your "scope" with Far Shot, sniper's shot, hunter's eye, and hunter's mercy, using a kaorti resin bolt (x4 crit multiplier) and the feat Telling Blow to add sneak attack to any crits.  Also, consider Scout 3/Mystic Ranger 8, which while only netting 0th-4th level spells, also gives 11 levels of Skirmish, and IIRC either Evasion or Uncanny Dodge (hopefully the former, as you can nab the latter, and Improved even, with the full Primal line of spells, which are good all day buffs anyhow).

Assuming a modest CL of 12, that's 3d6 Skirmish, 4d6 Sneak Attack, 4x weapon damage, 4(dex mod x 1.5), one one shot, at triple the usual range (two doublings is a tripling, one from the scope, one from Far Shot, possibly a quadruple range shot if Horizon Goggles also stack with all this), out to ten range increments, with no penalty at all for range.  Sound good?

EDIT : And this only uses two feats, meaning you can also have nice stuff like Darkstalker, Swift and Silent, and Mounted Shot if you're properly using phantasmal steed.  You're basically capable of being the ultimate Hun.

That's a really good idea, thanks! Couple of questions though: How are you getting dmg: (dex mod x1.5)? I know I can get it with Crossbow Sniper and Targetteer. But you don't have any levels in Targetteer, so is there any bonus dmg I missed?
Furthermore I think that the range is even better than you say because range is a real world number, so normal math rules apply.

@ Crimson Death:
Hmm, the Alignment restrictions are killing me there.
This is the the Targetteer btw (or atleast the ability I'm interested in.

Vital Aim : The targetteer may add his Dexterity modifier to his damage rolls with a ranged-weapon attack instead of his Strength bonus. The targetteer cannot replace a Strength penalty to damage rolls with his Dexterity modifier unless his Dexterity modifier is also a penalty. The targetteer cannot use his Dexterity modifier to replace his Strength modifier when attacking creatures immune to critical hits.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
My bad, Str + .5 Dex.  Tis ok though, since a Swift Hunter wants both at roughly the same amount, and since Dragon is in, you can get 20's in each with a single spell (animal affinity) and feat (Ability Enhancer) for +6 to each physical stat.  You can even nab +8 to Strength from fist of stone which also lets you threaten squares around you, even while using a bow, as it is a free action to remove a hand from a two handed weapon.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

shandiris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »

Wait...he's banning animal affinity (which is +2 Str, Dex, and Con) but allowing Persistent Spell?   :twitch
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

shandiris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 06:01:43 AM »
Wait...he's banning animal affinity (which is +2 Str, Dex, and Con) but allowing Persistent Spell?   :twitch

Yep, can't say I follow that one either, probaly due to him playing a DMM cleric in the last game. I'm not saying it's a good ruling but animal affinity isn't that essential that I want to make a fuss about it.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 07:20:31 AM »

Yep, can't say I follow that one either, probaly due to him playing a DMM cleric in the last game. I'm not saying it's a good ruling but animal affinity isn't that essential that I want to make a fuss about it.

Educate him.  Polymorph first into a legendary ape, then enjoy that native 30 Str.  Matter of fact, follow that with Fist of Stone w/ Ability Enhancer for 38 Str :)
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

shandiris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 08:25:09 AM »

Educate him.  Polymorph first into a legendary ape, then enjoy that native 30 Str.  Matter of fact, follow that with Fist of Stone w/ Ability Enhancer for 38 Str :)

Polymorph line is banned, mostly thanks to me banning it when I was DM. Updating main post now, any advice on arcane spells or equipment?

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
Bite of the Were*whatever*?

shandiris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »
Bite of the Were*whatever*?

I don't really rely on Strength, and the dex bonuses aren't that good (Maximum is +6 enhancement)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
You're an archer. OF COURSE you rely on Strength.

All you need is a dragonbone bow, Hank's bow, or a bow of the wintermoon. Auto-adjusts to your Strength score.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30:14 PM »

All you need is a dragonbone bow, Hank's bow, or a bow of the wintermoon. Auto-adjusts to your Strength score.
He's doing a crossbow build.

Maybe you could research a version of Arrow Mind that works with crossbows?

shandiris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 10:25:28 AM »

He's doing a crossbow build.

Maybe you could research a version of Arrow Mind that works with crossbows?

Thanks for actually reading :)

Got permission to use crossbow versions of both Arrow Mind and Hunter's Mercy.
Should I get a couple of Bloodseeking Bolts or is there a spell that duplicates that?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »
Wait, you're doing a crossbow archer? Those are inferior in every possible way to a bow-archer, aside from the ability to duel-wield and aptitude crossbow abuse.

I refuse to believe it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:02:23 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]