Author Topic: Clerical Prayers  (Read 1499 times)

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
Clerical Prayers
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:27:08 PM »
Lately, I've been working on a cleric for a pbp campaign, when I thought that it may be of use to everyone to have a resource of clerical prayers. I find that it helps to flesh out a character by being able to say what the character uses when they pray, not just "character X prayes to god Y for his/her daily prayers.

Here is one that I made for a cleric of Lathander by adapting Canticle of the Sun by St. Francis

[spoiler]Most high, all-powerful, all good, Lord! All praise is yours, all glory, all honour And all blessing.

To you, Bringer of Dawn, do they belong.

All praise be yours, my Lord, through all that you have made; and light you give to us through the Blessed Dawn.

How beautiful is he, how radiant in all his splendour! Of you, Lord of the Morning, he bears the likeness.

All praise be yours my Lord, through Brothers Vitality and Creation, And fair and bright, all of your moods, by which We cherish all that you have made.

All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Hope, So useful, lowly, precious and pure.

All praise be yours, my Lord, through Brother Dawn, Through whom you brighten up the night. How beautiful is he, how gay! Full of power and strength.

All praise be yours my Lord, through Sister Renewal, our mother Who feeds us in her sovereignty and produces Various fruits with colored flowers and herbs.

All praise be yours, my Lord, through those who grant pardon. For love of you; through those who endure Sickness and trial.

Happy those who endure in peace, By you, Most High, they will be crowned.

All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Death, From whose embrace no mortal can escape. Woe to those who die in mortal sin! Happy those She finds doing your will! Rue to those who try to escape. The second death can do no harm to them.

Praise and bless my Lord, and I give thanks, And serve him with great humility. With this Dawn, I reaffirm my loyalty, to up hold the clarity of light and the beauty of hope.[/spoiler]

If anyone wants me to, I'm willing to turn this post into a collection for everyone to do. I'm also willing to write or augment prayers for other gods and characters if anyone wants me to. I'd like to turn this into a community created resource that has prayers for clerics of every god and the more popular ideals that are worshiped, whether for mechanical benifits or what not.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:29:20 PM by geniussavant »
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Clerical Prayers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:46:07 AM »
Probably need more specific ones, so far the prayers fit a vaguely Good and Light sort.

Say for example Obai-Hai's prayers, Boccobs, or maybe one of the more smitey sort(Pelor?)
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:03:07 AM »
That was one prayer to Lathander, and over the next couple of days, I'll try and work up a few for the gods you mentioned. Any other gods that are pretty common?
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:28:58 AM »
Hmm the more archetypical ones...Malar the beastlord, Shar, the racial ones like Moradin, and at least one Dark Lord, maybe Asmodeus or Mephistopheles would be a good start.

Those would be trickier since theres not much contemporary references available. You'd need to dip into greek or roman rites or something.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 06:54:09 AM »
Hmm the more archetypical ones...Malar the beastlord, Shar, the racial ones like Moradin, and at least one Dark Lord, maybe Asmodeus or Mephistopheles would be a good start.

Those would be trickier since theres not much contemporary references available. You'd need to dip into greek or roman rites or something.
I'm sure you could get some great material out of Faust for devils.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »
It might also be good project to flesh out clerics' canons a little.  One of my favorite pieces of fluff is the holy text of the flaymaster from KoKPG.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.