Author Topic: Character for ToDE, 15th leve gestalt with odd rules.  (Read 2292 times)

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Character for ToDE, 15th leve gestalt with odd rules.
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:19:12 AM »
Okay the Tower of Deadly Evil has been consumed by the Neverending dungeon, and I'm having trouble coming up with a build.
Rules here:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:26:02 PM by the_shadowmind »

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Character for ToDE
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
I sort of wonder what Totemist, Swordsage, and Binder bring to the build.  Like, what specific soulmelds, maneuvers, and vestige you expect to use.  They're likely to offer some versatility, but Factotum and Chameleon have plenty of that.  From the looks of things, you could probably use some raw power.  I'd consider trying for a full caster on at least one side.  I'm also a little hazy on exctly what you're asking for.  Feat suggestions?  Progression tweaks?

Are there any specific Neverending Dungeon rules that would mechanically impact characters at creation?  (I'm not familiar with the NED environment.)

the_shadowmind

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:44:51 AM »
For the Tower is a 15th level gestalt, with a feat every level. 4 person dungeon crawl. Very few points to rest, and no leadership(and variants)/gate. Diplomacy doesn't work as normal, and I think the new DC's haven been kept secret.

Not sure of which spells to prepare/persist, possible feat selects. Wings of Cover, Wings of Flurry, Greater Dispel Magic(trapsmith) will be a apart of spells prepared.
Which maneuvers to have learned outside of Action Before Though,Moment of Perfect Mind, and Mindover body.
Decent totemist soulmelds outside of manticore belt. It will be bound to the totem chakra, with knowledge devotion with a few minor + Competence bonus items to skills, and maybe a persisted Hunter's eye for 6d6 sneak attack damage to add in case of spells running low.
A which vestige to bind. Tenebrous gets flicker, and turn/rebuke undead but between extra turning(s) the turn undead might not be that useful and flicker might be better in a wand. Dahlver-nah is another possible one, but due to low binder level, shield self would likely need a willing partner to tank the damage, though a summon might work. Malphas for the bird's eye viewing might help.

the_shadowmind

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 11:28:24 PM »
Okay build changed to Binder 2/Draconic template/Phrenic template. The open least chakra spells will be used, and maybe a scroll or two of open lesser chakra for the Totemist. Likely will need a incarnum feat or two for the essentia.

Being a spell level behind the sorcerer/favored soul spell selection is going to be tricky.

[spoiler]
6th levels spells(D) Bite of the Werebear(Druid 6) Persist target.,
5th level spells(D) Healx2(Adept 5),Freedom of Movement, True Seeing (Cleric 5). Plant Body Persist Target
3rd level spells(D) Greater Magic Weapon(Paladin 3),
2nd level spells (D)
1st level spells(D)

6th level spells(A)
5th level spells(A)
4th level spells(A) Wings of Flurryx2(Sorcerer 4)
3rd level spells(A) greater dispel magicx2(Trapsmith 3)
2nd level spells(A)
1st level spells(A) Wings of Cover x3 (Sorcerer 1)

Equipment, Wand of Flicker,

Lesser Weapon of Legacy with cunning property.
[/spoiler]

I pretty much have a skeleton of a build and now trying to add the organs.

Weapon of legacy
[spoiler]
Artificer's monocle base item.
5th Magical Cipher
6th Resistance+1
7th Resistance +2
8th Metamagic, Lesser Extend
9th Skill Enhancement +5 Knowledge Arcane
10th Skill Enhancement +5 The planes

11th Cunning
12th Resistance +3
13th Metamagic Extend.
14th Resistance +4
15th Resistance +5
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:59:45 AM by the_shadowmind »

the_shadowmind

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:11:13 AM »
Okay current feats selected:

Flaw:Noncombatant. FoI +1
Flaw:Vulnerable. Foi +2
Human:Able Learner
1st FoI +3
2 Extra Turning,Extra Turning(Un-death Domain) Extened Spell(Planning Domain) Knowledge Devotion
3 FoI +4
4 Extra turning
5 Psionic Meditation
6 FoI +5
7 Persistant spell.
8 Psycarnum infusion
9 FoI +6 .
10 DMM:Persistent spell
11 Extra Turning
12 Extra Turning
13 Bonus essentia
14 Adaptive style.
15 Either extra readied maneuver or Marital study for Iron heart surge.

Build progression Facotutum 1/ Cloistered cleric 1/Factotum +7/Totemist 2/Witch Slayer 2/Sword Sage 2//Phrenic template LA 2/Draconic template LA 1/Binder 2/Chameleon 10.

Still having trouble with spell selection.

the_shadowmind

Re: Character for ToDE, 15th leve gestalt with odd rules.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »
Okay Int will be 33, (16 base, +3 levels, +6 item, +6 ability boon, +2 template) so spells will be 4/7/7/7/6/5/3 for the Arcane side. and with Wis of 24 the spells will be 4/6/6/6/5/4/2 for the divine side. With a ring of Enduring Arcana, spells with be at CL 24 against dispelling so most persisted spells should be safeish.

15th level feat with be Marital Study for Iron heart surge, using the Chameleon bonus feat for an Iron hear maneuver to qualify, then switching it out now that Iron heart surge is qualifying for itself. Then using the floating feat for something else, possible extra readied maneuver if I can think of a decent one outside of the 3 save replacements and Surge. Any good stances of third level of less from the Swordsage list that word for a jack of trades with bear claws?

Is there a decent Totemist soulmeld that work well with a least or lesser chakra? Preparing Open Least Chakra spell or a possible a scroll of Open Least Chakra? Psycarnum infusion+Psionic Meditation allows for one that need essentia as long as they aren't constant effects.

I can get a +15 concentration item for 22,500, and with not being flat-footed due to the Cunning ability of the Legacy item, and then not losing much from using a full round action to re-ready the maneuver due to Cunning surge letting me have extra standard actions, saves shouldn't be an issue.

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:43:21 PM »
I got permission in a NED to use DMG item cost restrictions based on class and skill a while back.
Grab craft wondrous item, craft arms and armor, the persistent spell chain, the DMM extend. Walk around with 2* your number of spell slots in buffs every day and ~20 times typical WBL. Put "Farm Level drains" in your back story.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0

But it might still be stupid. I know their level 1, 2, and 3 NED dungeons were like "We'll just have 20 encounters of save or dies on each floor. Eventually you'll roll a 1. Haha, look at us, we're awesome optimizers." Winning involved dumb luck (not rolling a 1) or a companion/summon build.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »
IIRC, NED allows for stupid stuff like persisting touch spells like lesser vigor, but nerfs other stuff pretty randomly.

I ended up coming up with a build that could pass the first three levels with low risk (combining heighten and reserve feats), they changed the rules so it wasn't allowed, I decided that there wasn't any real point making a new character.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:12:38 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:40:12 AM »
Am I the only one who wants to optimized playing as a brick of cheese, given these rules?

JaronK

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
Am I the only one who wants to optimized playing as a brick of cheese, given these rules?

JaronK
dang you beat me to it, I was thinking fop, binder,(unarmed) arcane swordsage, with bloodlines to mitigate loss of IL(CL)/EBL
The extra feats help, so take otherworldly, plus starting@ 15 let's you pay for ritual of alignment, 3.0 is even allowed...

EDIT:  so you go ethereal, spam summon monster via zercyl, possess a weapon adding +9 worth of enhancement, then Arcane swordsage let's you do crazy stuff like reverse gravity uppercuts all day ... ... FATALITY ... SHADOWMIND WINS ...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:08:51 AM by JohnnyMayHymn »
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »
Can we not do it as some sort of Druid base for Natural Spell access?  Spell slinging cheese would be cheesy goodness.
Placeholder - T'tosc

the_shadowmind

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 04:50:36 PM »
Sadly bloodlines are Arcane Swordsage are both banned. And a block of Swiss Psion probably works better than Druid Gouda, though not as strong.

It is a 4th player dungeon so some other focuses can be covered by other people.

I'm sticking with the Factomeleon build for now. I can swap one of the extra turning for spell Practiced spell caster to get CL 12 on the Factotum, allowing qualification for Craft staff and Forge Ring for crafting on the bonus feat. We have 7,500, but 1,600 is going to the weapon of legacy. The WoL is acting a Free identify, Lesser and Normal rods of extend, a +5 resistance item +5 to two knowledge skills, and no flatfoot, a 44,000+ value for the price of 15,500gp -2 to all skills and 12hp.

Rechecking if touch ranged count as fixed for the Tower. Since the Tower wasn't designed by NED guys, only taken over because the person running it no longer had to the time did it merge with NED, the ruling might be different.
If so, what are good touch range divine spells to persist?

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 05:42:06 PM »
i wish they'd allow Dragon mags... then i can play an awakened gelatinous cube monk/fist of the forest