Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 24: We Can Work It Night By Night  (Read 166166 times)

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Ask a Simple Question 24: We Can Work It Night By Night
« Reply #640 on: May 01, 2011, 04:21:21 AM »
Detect Thoughts only requires you to make Concentration checks if your concentration is disrupted, like any other spell or effect. The duration of Concentration just means that you need to spend a standard action to maintain it every round and that you can lose concentration on it from being damage (and similar conditions) at any time, rather than just when you are casting it. Here's the relevant information about Concentration durations.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #641 on: May 01, 2011, 04:34:32 AM »
I guess then the most obvious choice would be the Medallion of Thoughts, then.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Bortasz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #642 on: May 01, 2011, 05:12:40 AM »
Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #643 on: May 01, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
Q 210 How Defence Bonus and Armour as Reduction affect the game? (I whant use both)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm
I've run several games that used both variants, and depending on whether you do full stacking or partial, it greatly changes the game in some regards. People tend to either wear no armor, or the heaviest armor they can find early on, but later on the DR just doesn't do a whole lot of anything against most ECL appropriate foes unless you keep the PCs fighting medium-sized humanoids (aka, mooks). For casters, it doesn't change a thing. For "fighter types", it encourages them to take off armor later on for mobility purposes.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #644 on: May 01, 2011, 10:03:57 AM »
I was afraid that Wizard/Sorcerer/Psion will loose a lot because Touch spell are affected by Defense Bonus.
armour to Damage Reduction i plant to use in full. So Chain shirt will give only DR 4 and Full plate will give a DR 8 no bonus to AC.
A Low Lvl start of campaign witch lot of magic. (lvl 2-3 at the start)
Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #645 on: May 01, 2011, 10:08:26 AM »
I was afraid that Wizard/Sorcerer/Psion will loose a lot because Touch spell are affected by Defense Bonus.
armour to Damage Reduction i plant to use in full. So Chain shirt will give only DR 4 and Full plate will give a DR 8 no bonus to AC.
A Low Lvl start of campaign witch lot of magic. (lvl 2-3 at the start)
Keep in mind that makes most smaller weapons, and almost all light weapons, defeated by Chain shirt, and Full plate essentially makes the character immune to anything other than the heaviest damage from weapons at low levels before high strength bonuses and power attack really take off. You'll have to heavily tweak the encounters the PCs go up against to either include higher damage foes, lots of spells, or accept the fact that for any fight involving mooks they won't have any fear of their targets since they cannot be meaningfully damaged compared to normal.

edit: And casters could stand to lose a little bit with a hit to touch ACs. Just saying.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #646 on: May 01, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »
You correct but World thet I put them is something close to 15 century of our world in Technology. And Full plate of that time was exactly this powerful.
Short sword is d6 so it have chance to penetrate Chain Shirt DR 4 lower Chances to Penetrate Chain mail or BReastplate DR 5 And now chances witch Full plate DR 8
Two Handed Axe in the other hand have d12 so for him Brestplaite are not so dificult and Full plate will protect only to sertent point.

That is only Armour to Redection... Add to that Defence Bonus... 1 lvl Warrior witch Chainmail have DR 5/- and 16 AC at least. 18 if he have Big Shield. 20 if have tower Shield. And Touch AC is Equal to normal... Because Defense Bonus is Dodge bonus to AC... sor Shooting someone witch Acid Arrow of Melf get harder.
Radical Taoist

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #647 on: May 01, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »
something to consider is to allow a critical to ignore the dr of the armor, instead of bonus damage. chink in the armor idea.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #648 on: May 01, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »
something to consider is to allow a critical to ignore the dr of the armor, instead of bonus damage. chink in the armor idea.
I've also done that, made stealthy crit-happy characters rather effective with their smaller damage die weapons without having to sink all their levels into rogue for sneak attack pumpage.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

lorddarioush

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #649 on: May 01, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »
i was trying to get an idea for an chain tripper when i stumbled upon dancing chains in the book of vile darkness. i was wondering, can these 30 foot chains make attacks of oppertunity?

if so i was thinkin to make it a wizard/cleric with a few ranks of mystic thurge  think i can make this within the first 5 levels?

im takin human for the extra feat and easy multiclassin

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #650 on: May 01, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »
I whant use that Critics and Sneak attack Bouth bybass reduction and deal extra Damage ;]
Radical Taoist

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #651 on: May 01, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
Q 212 My character's getting into a lot of trouble by talking. Short of having this tongue ripped out and getting a lobotomy, what ways are there to make a low-level character a permanent mute (both in speech and in thought)? If it's homebrew, I'll have to put it passed my DM, which may or may not be a 50/50 shot.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Zoblefu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #652 on: May 01, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
Q195: Is an unconscious or sleeping person/creature considered willing for spells that specify willing targets?  (I'm almost sure I've read they cannot be unwilling, but does that equal willing?)

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #653 on: May 01, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
As a note about Armour as DR and Defense Bonus - I find they really enhanced the games I was using them in.  Players that wanted to play swashbucklers for a long time really could without having crappy AC (high AC is the most swashbucklerish trope in DnD) and guys in full plate totally ignoring little hits was a hell of a lot cooler than just having decent AC.

I've never really used basic shitty mooks as threats, instead as distractions, so it was perfect for my encounter style.  But.  There are things mooks can do to players that have nothing to do with damage that still screw them over.  Tripping them, Grappling them, Bullrushing them (especially into pits - hard to Climb in full plate if you're not heavily invested in it, at level 1-3, especially a surface designed to be hard to climb), smearing them with grease, trying to set them alight... etc.  I also ruled (dunno how this works normally) that if you have someone Pinned in a grapple, someone else can coup-de-grace them.  Nothing as terrifying for a player as having their full plate fighter held down by four commoners while a fifth advances on him with dagger and stabs it through the eye-slit, even if it doesn't kill them right away.

After I described that scene, he blew through all his action points and bennies against the grapple check from the commoner (other three were using Aid Another), got free, disarmed the commoner with the dagger and rammed it through his eye.  Later, he described to another character how terrifying it was being held down like that as they tried to kill him, and actively got better at grappling, to the point that he took Improved Grapple a bit later on.  That was a great game.

EDIT:  If you make sneak attacks bypass the DR, that makes sneak attacks a lot more powerful.  A lot more, at lower levels.  Might want to consider whether you want to do that, but mneh.

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #654 on: May 01, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »
Rejakor and this is exactly what I whant ;)
Radical Taoist

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #655 on: May 01, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »
Q213: Is it even possible to cast the Flesh Ripper spell from BoVD? It has both the Fiend and Undead components, so I guess you have to be both an Outsider and Undead at the same time to cast it?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #656 on: May 01, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »
Q213: Is it even possible to cast the Flesh Ripper spell from BoVD? It has both the Fiend and Undead components, so I guess you have to be both an Outsider and Undead at the same time to cast it?
Lichfiend template in Libris Mortis.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #657 on: May 01, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »
What page is that on? I can't seem to find it.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #658 on: May 01, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
What page is that on? I can't seem to find it.
Pg. 156-157 (yay for fully-searchable PDF's!).

I think, though, that in a case like that, you would have to meet just one of the racial requirements.  You have to be a fiend OR an Undead to cast the spell.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #659 on: May 01, 2011, 05:24:20 PM »
Q213: Isn't there a way to easily gain the fire or acid subtype without SS rituals? I thought I remember a way to swap the ice subtype for one, but I'm a bit hazy on it. Hopefully it will ring a bell with someone else.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r