Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 24: We Can Work It Night By Night  (Read 165877 times)

Slz the Resolute

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Ask a Simple Question 24: We Can Work It Night By Night
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »
Q14: Is there a way a PC can get Rend(Ex), without polymorph, or something like Soul Radiance(Su)?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
Q14: Is there a way a PC can get Rend(Ex), without polymorph, or something like Soul Radiance(Su)?
Other than taking a monster race, there's the +1 LA of Feral Creature that'll give it to you. There's also a TWF tree feat called Two-Weapon Rend that can be taken.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Slz the Resolute

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
Other than taking a monster race, there's the +1 LA of Feral Creature that'll give it to you. There's also a TWF tree feat called Two-Weapon Rend that can be taken.

Is that creature from 3.0 or 3.5?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »

Feral Creature is a template from Savage Species. Technically that would make it 3.25.

Slz the Resolute

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:48 PM »

Feral Creature is a template from Savage Species. Technically that would make it 3.25.

Thanks, I'll see if my DM will allow this ;)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
Thanks, I'll see if my DM will allow this ;)
One thing you may have to argue with your DM, as do a lot of players now, is that the Feral Creature template is a LOT for just a +1. It's not. It seems like it does because there's two sections. The first one is what everyone gets, and is the main part of the +1. The other half of it requires racial levels (paragon levels thankfully count) for the other half. Just be sure to read over it carefully so you know how to properly argue it to your favor.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »
Q 15

Does the Cleric spell list have any decent, hard blast spells in the level 3-4 range? the best I've seen are Holy Smite and Sound Lance and those aren't that hot.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
Q 16 Has someone come up with a spreadsheet list of all the spells for each spellcasting class? Something along these lines would be preferable.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »
Q 15

Does the Cleric spell list have any decent, hard blast spells in the level 3-4 range? the best I've seen are Holy Smite and Sound Lance and those aren't that hot.
the storms (holy storm, etc), inflict spells, poison, shivering touch, sound lance, venomfire.

And sound lance is amazing.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »
Q 16 Has someone come up with a spreadsheet list of all the spells for each spellcasting class? Something along these lines would be preferable.
import a .csv of the imarvintpa database to excel and filter it?
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 04:58:43 PM »
Q 17

There is a spell called Manifestation of Deity, or something like that, that transposes a giant glaring image of your deity over your body that demoralizaes everyone within 30 ft or ssomething. I am very unsure of what it does, or what level it is.

Anyways, does anyone know what book that is from? I am furious that I can't find it again in my collection!
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »
import a .csv of the imarvintpa database to excel and filter it?
That partially works, but not all of the spells are explained for their saving throws, etc, and not all of the spells exist on that site.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 05:11:12 PM »
Q 15

the storms (holy storm, etc), inflict spells, poison, shivering touch, sound lance, venomfire.

The Storms are indeed nice, thanks for reminding me of those. Inflict spells are kinda shitty as blasting goes, Poison suffers heavily from poison immunity and being Fort negates, Shivering Touch is neat and worth noting (so it's on the cleric list... interesting), but more of a dodge or lose, not exactly what I'm looking for. Venomfire is cool, true, but relies on party members for a Cleric who doesn't have a Fleshraker companion. Sound Lance deals decent damage and has an awesome damage type, but single target and Fort half kinda turns me off. Are my standards for blast spells just too high? :p
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
Quote from: McPoyo link=topic=11583.msg396482#msg396482 dateo=1302374838
Q 15

The storms are indeed nice, thanks for ereminding me of those. Inflict spells are kinda shitty as blasting goes, Poison suffers heavily from poison immunity and being Fort negates, Shivering Touch is neat and worth noting (so it's on the cleric list... interesting), but more of a dodge or lose, not exactly what I'm looking for. Venomfire is cool, true, but relies on party members for a Cleric who doesn't have a Fleshraker companion. Sound Lance deals decent damage and has an awesome damage type, but single target and Fort half kinda turns me off. Are my standards for blast spells just too high? :p
For a cleric, yes.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 05:25:05 PM »
Q18: What's the feat that requires Spell Mastery and allows you to cast the spells you have with it spontaneously...or something?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
Q18: What's the feat that requires Spell Mastery and allows you to cast the spells you have with it spontaneously...or something?
Signature Spell

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
Signature Spell

I was actually thinking of Uncanny Forethought from Exemplars of Evil.  But that's a good one too. 
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2011, 05:57:30 PM »
Are my standards for blast spells just too high? :p

Build a mailman sorcerer/wu jen and use all those crazy damage spells no-one ever does, like Freezing Breath or Rain of Needles or Unicorn Arrow.

It's like playing a double scythe animal companion barbarian.  No-one expects it.

Ras F

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
It's like playing a double scythe animal companion barbarian.  No-one expects it.

There's probably a reason for that.  ;)
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2011, 06:45:31 PM »
Q 15

The Storms are indeed nice, thanks for reminding me of those. Inflict spells are kinda shitty as blasting goes, Poison suffers heavily from poison immunity and being Fort negates, Shivering Touch is neat and worth noting (so it's on the cleric list... interesting), but more of a dodge or lose, not exactly what I'm looking for. Venomfire is cool, true, but relies on party members for a Cleric who doesn't have a Fleshraker companion. Sound Lance deals decent damage and has an awesome damage type, but single target and Fort half kinda turns me off. Are my standards for blast spells just too high? :p

Alternatively: Spontaneous Domain ACF and a domain with a lot of blasting spells in it. 

Personally fond of Cold domain and levels of Winterhaunt of Iborignu if you want a blasty cleric.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:48:34 PM by Littha »