Author Topic: How Create Steampunk?  (Read 918 times)

Bortasz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
How Create Steampunk?
« on: April 08, 2011, 03:51:03 PM »
(I Hope i put topic in right place. )

Question is simple.

What must have setting/world to be Steampunk?

Without what there can not be a good Steampunk World?

Thous gunpowder is necessary or only should be?

I'm wonder yours opinion.
Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: How Create Steampunk?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:29:13 AM »
Probably belongs in Talespinning.

It depends heavily on how you look at it.

Tone - The default expectation of the Age of Steam is that of discovery, breaking new ground and pushing back the darkness. People can do anything and theres a sense of excitement for whats about to happen.

Thematics - A mix of practicality and the overblown, this is at the age of transition between individual craftsmen(as the greatest wonders have to be handcrafted) and plain functionality(first factories starting up). Everything is elaborate.

Mad Science - Part of the overall 'anything is possible' theme, don't stick to gunpowder. Reliable firearms are far from present yet and the multitude of alternatives still present themselves. Electrical arc weapons,  clockwork guns, minature steam cannons, even liquid chemical/fuel reagents. This of course, presumes you're doing it in a semi fantasy environment where physics is sorta optional.

Science & Magic - Tricky to coexist, it can be argued that the advent of technology would be much delayed by the existence of magic, but then comes the question of magic and technology as opposing forces of collaborative. Collaborative can be insanely difficult to envision in the long term as well.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Re: How Create Steampunk?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »
Well there's four key points in SteamPunk:

1-Internal combustion engine was never discovered.
2-Thus Steam technology is developed to previously unmagined levels.
3-Insert giant robots/airships/landships/weapons all powered up by steam
4-All hits new invations create an overall feel of optimism/hope/progress on the seting as steam technology constantly churns out new amazing wonders that allow to do previously impossible stuff and change the world.

Neither magic or gunpoweder are necessary. Mixing in the magic is actually pretty problematic. Gunpowder is easier as it was discovered before the steam engine and everything and explosions are cool.