Author Topic: Strangest Black Tentacles I ever did see.  (Read 9392 times)

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Re: Strangest Black Tentacles I ever did see.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 01:47:26 AM »
And again it's not wild flailing. It's godlike precision of sublime kung-fu that never misses.
Stand outside in a thunderstorm, get wet no matter how hard you dodge, and observe the raindrops exhibiting "godlike precision of sublime kung-fu that never misses."

Only because I don't have super martial skills. Dodging raindrops is high kung fu level, but doable by fantasy characters.

Or even easier, get an umbrella+raincoat. Aka cover. Tentacles don't care about it.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
And again it's not wild flailing. It's godlike precision of sublime kung-fu that never misses.
Stand outside in a thunderstorm, get wet no matter how hard you dodge, and observe the raindrops exhibiting "godlike precision of sublime kung-fu that never misses."

Only because I don't have super martial skills. Dodging raindrops is high kung fu level, but doable by fantasy characters.

Or even easier, get an umbrella+raincoat. Aka cover. Tentacles don't care about it.

I think the rules failed to account for someone riding their tower shield like a snowboard from above.

(In my games that would totally work just because our only snowboarding character is the coolest arctic orc you'll ever meet, and he deserves it.)

As for the tentacle thing not repeating if you get free... yea, I think I noticed that at one point, wondered what the big deal was about the spell, and henceforth sort of ran with whatever interpretation I was thinking about at the moment (if I were DM, there are plenty of situations I forget to roll things, or roll things that don't actually exist), or how the DM thought it worked (if I were a bug-mutant goblin conjurer).

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 08:37:18 AM »
Quote from: Official D&D 3.5 FAQ

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 10:42:09 AM »
What's the weirdest interpretation of rules language you ever saw?
Had a guy who thought that Imp/Gr 2WF gave you additional attack in addition to iterative attacks.
i.e., thought that simply taking 2WF gave you all of your iterative attacks on your off-hand as well as your main-hand; and that Imp2WF gave 2 off-hand attacks per iterative attack, and Gr2WF gave 3 off-hand attacks per iterative attack (that's up to 4 main-hand attacks and 12 off-hand attacks).
:facepalm

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

genuine

• Email
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »
What's the weirdest interpretation of rules language you ever saw?
Had a guy who thought that Imp/Gr 2WF gave you additional attack in addition to iterative attacks.
i.e., thought that simply taking 2WF gave you all of your iterative attacks on your off-hand as well as your main-hand; and that Imp2WF gave 2 off-hand attacks per iterative attack, and Gr2WF gave 3 off-hand attacks per iterative attack (that's up to 4 main-hand attacks and 12 off-hand attacks).
:facepalm

That would make the twf feat tree a bit more optimal though.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
Though TWF isn't completely terrible if you can work out a way for a sneak attacker to get surprise full attacks off(throwing while invisible on a mount maybe?) I guess.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »
[quote author=veekie link=topic=11567.msg397052#msg397052 date=13025414
Though TWF isn't completely terrible if you can work out a way for a sneak attacker to get surprise full attacks off(throwing while invisible on a mount maybe?) I guess.
[/quote]

...I generally just flank.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »
Problems with flanking.

Opponent moves, your TWF becomes inapplicable.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »

[/quote]

You move, swing once for piddly shit, then get full attacked on your worst defenses in the game and die before getting another turn.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 12:42:40 PM »

You move, swing once for piddly shit, then get full attacked on your worst defenses in the game and die before getting another turn.
[/quote]

Actually, truthfully, I tended to quickdraw my blades on some poor unsuspecting sucker and stab the daylights out of him, (plus a bite if it hit,) win initiative, do it again, and they'd generally be down by then.

In other sorts of combat, I did indeed get eaten by a bear once, but once I dipped Warblade Sudden Leap tended to help out with the movement aspects. I definitely learned the dangers and benefits of full attack range on that character, and how to force my opponent to close with me, pouncinglike take them out before they could get many hits in, or be sure I was able to endure an attack. She was a highly-multiclassed Whisper Gnome with a Living Breastplate so her hitpoints and defenses honestly weren't too bad, for the experience I had then. Had a level or two in Barbarian and acted like it.

So actually, yea, it was a combination of flanking and surprise full attacks, in the end. I acknowledge the value of surprise full attacks. It's completely possible to pounce into a flanking position too, though.  :p

...hm, these quotes are messed up. Not quite sure how to fix them, though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:49:38 PM by Kajhera »

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 05:34:22 PM »
Except for the part where full attacks are not a standard action without houserules.

And good luck Pouncing into a flank. That means your ally is on the other side of them, which means they fucked up their own full attack, and set themselves up for a one round auto attacking.

How to auto attack as a Rogue: Blink, flask bomb the fuck out of it.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 12:23:50 AM »
Except for the part where full attacks are not a standard action without houserules.

And good luck Pouncing into a flank. That means your ally is on the other side of them, which means they fucked up their own full attack, and set themselves up for a one round auto attacking.

I didn't actually have Pounce, but movement as a swift action. Wasn't a problem.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »

I didn't actually have Pounce, but movement as a swift action. Wasn't a problem.

So an ability that for most practical purposes is Pounce, but Barb dips are a bit more common than Cleric dips.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 10:51:55 AM »
Well, hes using ToB for it, but same deal. Its either Swift Move, Pounce or (god forbid) Dervish to get movement and full attacks.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 10:57:02 AM »
Well, hes using ToB for it, but same deal. Its either Swift Move, Pounce or (god forbid) Dervish to get movement and full attacks.

In the vein of ToB, it's entirely possible to move, get a flanking position, attack once, then turn invisible. Helps a tad on the defensive side if you can't take them out quickly. If you're lucky, you'll have a tank who'll trip them if they try and move out of a flanking position.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »
Rather go invisible first. Cloak of Deception mimics Greater Invis, and negates any AoOs you might be taking going in.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Empirate

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »
The number one magic item for sneak attackers should be a Ring of (Greater) Blinking, so you get sneak attacks against everything that can't see invisible. Now you don't need a flank, and knowledge devotion or pounce are much more helpful in bringing you where the action is (don't need to be opposite your ally). Best part: that ring helps out a ton with the defense, too!