Author Topic: Elminster and Epic Level Fighters  (Read 5647 times)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Elminster and Epic Level Fighters
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:01:59 AM »

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
Re: Elminster and Epic Level Fighters
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
I'm glad you're joining in the spirit of the day.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:45:26 PM »
I think he is serious.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:58:52 PM »
I think he is serious.
Eldariel, it's April First here in America. I don't know how you do things in Finland, but we have a cultural idiosyncrasy here that manifests itself in pulling practical jokes on people on this very special day.

You don't seriously think a man as wise and intelligent as Oscalemo would seriously believe in the crap proposed in the first post, do you? It would mean that if a first level Fighter fought two CR 1/2 orcs and hit one, killed it, then cleaved into the other (entirely possible if you've got high strength and weapon focus) he'd receive less XP for the victory than a less well build fighter who nearly dies in the attempt. Or, a wizard who casts Sleep and disables a small raiding party of bandits gets less XP than a mage who takes a dagger and starts stabbing the enemy left and right.

You'd be rewarding mediocrity and punishing competence with such a system, as well as penalizing the players for the failings of the DM.

Only a complete and utter tool would think that way, and we know Oscalemo is far from that.

For the Emperor.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »
Or, a wizard who casts Sleep and disables a small raiding party of bandits gets less XP than a mage who takes a dagger and starts stabbing the enemy left and right.
Oh, definitely you would.  As a GM I'm fully in favor of giving you more XP towards your next level of fighter.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:52:37 PM »
Only a complete and utter tool would think that way, and we know Oscalemo is far from that.
I'm a tool then, because I would give the weaker PC (that who nearly died) some bonus for overcoming the challenge despite weakness.
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:56:38 PM »
Do you draw the line at nearly dying because of being in combat and fighting well and nearly dying because of sheer stupidity?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 12:28:18 AM »
Do you draw the line at nearly dying because of being in combat and fighting well and nearly dying because of sheer stupidity?
Draw the line at a weak build. Decisions made in play stay in play.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 12:29:13 AM »
Of course I would not reward outright stupidity, although if the "stupid" decision/action would be a remification of RPing and not just dicking around, then I would give a reward.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:31:07 AM by AleksanderTheGreat »
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 12:45:13 AM »
Of course if one reads the books on Elminster there are reasons those levels of fighter exist  :o Very dumb for optimizing purposes, but he wasn't always the most powerful wizard that ever existed.
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:47:20 AM »
Whenever I DM I tend to hold off on rewarding exp right away and assign it at certain points each session, so that each player has multiple opportunities to do something that advances their character, as half my current party is of the complete non optimizer crowd.
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 12:47:56 AM »
Of course if one reads the books on Elminster there are reasons those levels of fighter exist  :o Very dumb for optimizing purposes, but he wasn't always the most powerful wizard that ever existed.
And it's not like dudes in-character really know exactly how they're doing a character build, either.
Planetouched Handbook

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 12:50:51 AM »
And I've managed to get plenty of exp from what were initially thought of as stupid decisions. Like when my level 3 ranger mouthed off to the gestalt fighter/sorcerer NPC general and got telekinesised out of the bar via the room. Surviving at 3 I escaped while the remainder of the party was thrown in the brig. A daring prison break in which only one of the captured fools did anything netted me around 1.5x the exp as everyone else.

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 12:51:46 AM »
And it's not like dudes in-character really know exactly how they're doing a character build, either.

Very true, taken as actual characters most of them are just trying to survive in a time of fantastical warfare. And a much better question then ELminster having levels of fighter is why does Cyric the deity have 3 levels of fighter

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 12:54:36 AM »
Please stop double posting and learn to use the edit button for your subsequent bright ideas.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 01:50:13 AM »
Yeah, it does make some kind of sense to award XP based on how the character is built.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 02:01:56 AM »
In all honesty, I've been toying around with XP rewards, and I've come up with a rather unusual idea of rewarding the PCs based on the party's ECL, not the encounter's CR.

Haven't exactly figured out how to calculate that though (aside from the standard 13.33 Encounters=1 Level).

But you're right about the NPCs having horrible stats. The Spell lists of the dragons in the Draconomicon are just plain terrible.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 03:50:35 AM »
Yeah, it does make some kind of sense to award XP based on how the character is built.
IIRC, there's already precedent with a few of the variable-LA templates.  If your ability scores suck too much to use the granted SLAs, you pay a lower LA for them.
Planetouched Handbook