Author Topic: Variant rules in compleate psi  (Read 2971 times)

mthor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Variant rules in compleate psi
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:07:28 PM »
So I'm going through the "Mind's Eye" archives on the dnd archives just minding my own business and i see this
"0-Level Powers: Arch psion levels count toward the level of psion for determining the number of free manifestations per day or 0-level powers."http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20021122b
I have XPH but not CPsi. So I was wondering if this was in there and if so, if you guys could fill me in.
I was also wondering if there was any feats that allowed you to expend psionic focus for a minor damaging spell, kind of a psionic equivalent of a reserve feat.
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Variant rules in compleate psi
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:15:44 PM »
The older Mind's Eye articles are for the 3.0 psionics system, which was... different. If you see any mentions of attack/defence modes, that's it.

I've never heard of any psionic reserve feats, but Psionics Unleashed (the new version of 3.5's psionics system by Dreamscarred Press, intended for use with Pathfinder) has some similar mechanics as class features for psions and maybe other classes.

And this is in the wrong section. Moved.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 03:04:45 AM »
the only expend focus for damage feats i'm aware of are the psionic (fist/weapon/shot) chains. basic for 2d6 and improved for 4d6. not bad as "psionic" damage is not a type things are resistant or immune to, plus it ignores dr same as energy damage.

yup, 0 levels are relics of a bygone 3.0 age.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:05:35 AM »
The older Mind's Eye articles are for the 3.0 psionics system, which was... different. If you see any mentions of attack/defence modes, that's it.

I've never heard of any psionic reserve feats, but Psionics Unleashed (the new version of 3.5's psionics system by Dreamscarred Press, intended for use with Pathfinder) has some similar mechanics as class features for psions and maybe other classes.
I toyed with the idea of psionic reserve feats a while back...it's hard to come up with an equivalent mechanic since any psion with 17pp could whip out a 9th level power. You'd need a bigger threshold if you wanted to work it that way (maybe power level squared or required power points squared, so you could only use the reserve feat at maximum efficiency if you had 81 or 289 power points, respectively).

Eldritch_Lord

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »
I toyed with the idea of psionic reserve feats a while back...it's hard to come up with an equivalent mechanic since any psion with 17pp could whip out a 9th level power. You'd need a bigger threshold if you wanted to work it that way (maybe power level squared or required power points squared, so you could only use the reserve feat at maximum efficiency if you had 81 or 289 power points, respectively).

Dreamscarred Press came out with pseudo-reserve feats for psionics a while back in High Psionics: Sequestral Feats (link).  A sequestral feat lets you "sequester" a power (temporarily lose access to it) to gain some benefit, like sequestering a [Force] power to treat your weapons as force effects.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:31:09 PM »
My psionic powers revision has Talents, which are 0-level powers that you expend your focus to manifest. Unless the power specifically states otherwise, you can sub 1pp for the focus, and the Talent is considered a 1st level power. That, and some of them augment.

Though in one case (Power Extraction), you must always expend your focus, even when augmenting. It grants +1pp in a separate power point pool that lasts for 1 round. If you augment it, you must still expend your focus, but it grants [augment cost + 1pp]. Any power with a manifesting time greater than 1 round fails, and powers with durations greater than 1 round are reduced to 1 round. Oh, and you can't use the separate pool to manifest Power Extraction, and it doesn't allow you to break your manifestation-cost cap.

Basically it trades your psionic focus for an additional limited-use power point.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

mthor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 06:41:56 PM »
Sweet that's what I thought but psionics are just plain awesome and I was seeing if CPsi had anything worth looking into. I happen to be a big fan of telekinetic wilders and I was looking to see if there was anything to increase either their effectiveness or their flexibility (psions are of course better especially with the slayer Prestige class but it's a flavor thing)
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
Sweet that's what I thought but psionics are just plain awesome and I was seeing if CPsi had anything worth looking into. I happen to be a big fan of telekinetic wilders and I was looking to see if there was anything to increase either their effectiveness or their flexibility (psions are of course better especially with the slayer Prestige class but it's a flavor thing)
Save your time and get Hyperconscious. It's the real Complete Psionic, basically. :p

Good stuff in CPsi: ardent + soulbow, the latter of which is online anyway.

Tangent: what size would the book be if they had three feats with the effects of "Choose one weapon. You can turn your mind blade into that weapon.", "You can use one of your racial SLAs +1 time per day." and "Choose two 1st-level powers. 1/day you can use one of them as a PLA"? Along with stripping the reprinted powers and the random nerfs which ignore other parts of the rules to work.

EDIT: You might be interested in the Educated Wilder.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:12:02 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
Tangent: what size would the book be if they had three feats with the effects of "Choose one weapon. You can turn your mind blade into that weapon.", "You can use one of your racial SLAs +1 time per day." and "Choose two 1st-level powers. 1/day you can use one of them as a PLA"? Along with stripping the reprinted powers and the random nerfs which ignore other parts of the rules to work.
About...two and a half pages? :P

It would have been a more valuable publication if it had just been titled, "You can't spend more points on a single power than your manifester level."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 05:07:47 AM »
Tangent: what size would the book be if they had three feats with the effects of "Choose one weapon. You can turn your mind blade into that weapon.",
That's no moon...
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
Some of the 3.0 Zero level powers, got turned into 3.5 first level powers.
No augment powers are a good place to start.
Use them as often as ... pick new rule X.

Metamind 1 can sorta do this.

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »
using metapower and linked power can net you "free" powers if they secondary power costs 2pp or less. still costs 1pp minimum for the initial power, however.
Never game alone again!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »
using metapower and linked power can net you "free" powers if they secondary power costs 2pp or less. still costs 1pp minimum for the initial power, however.
And your focus. But it's still nice.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
thank you, yes.
Never game alone again!