Author Topic: Sode #11- Grit in your Game  (Read 10231 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Sode #11- Grit in your Game
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »
In this show, we explore the concept of Grit-- first, we define it through examples.  Then we talk about tropes of grit.  Finally, we give specifics on how to do it and the importance of a social contract with your gaming group.

The audio on this one is different and I'd love feedback. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:47:18 AM by Meg »
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
Re: Episode 11- Grit in your Game
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 12:06:53 AM »
Sounds very good.  Well done!

Listen to Heroic Cthulhu podcasts
http://heroiccthulhu.mypodcast.com/index.html
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 12:15:33 AM »
There are a few new elements in this episode.  The levelator is one.  I played 12 in my car today and the levelated version sounded far too quiet to me, but I want other perspectives. 

We also have "commercial breaks" in the middle now-- I think it's easier on the ear to break it up a little.  Want to have a sense of how that goes over.

The ending on this one is my favorite out of all of our episodes.  I laugh every time. 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 12:22:10 AM »
There are a few new elements in this episode.  The levelator is one.  I played 12 in my car today and the levelated version sounded far too quiet to me, but I want other perspectives. 

It's a lot less painful on the ears.  You can always amplify the sound (either through turning it up or through your editor) but it has nicely smoothed out the voices.  Prior, one of the guys was too soft, you came in about right and the other one made me wince whenever he talked.  (Not sure on the guys which was which though, sorry.)  Now, it is very easy to listen to, very clear.
Listen to Heroic Cthulhu podcasts
http://heroiccthulhu.mypodcast.com/index.html
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Weathertop

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:33:11 PM »
The sound mix was very good for me, surprisingly clean.  After running it through the clarifier, I was able to detect the heavy breathing of the zombie you had restrained under the table.  It added a faintly menacing air to the first half of the cast.

I take my hat off to you for mentioning Brimstone.  One of the best shows I have ever seen on television. John Glover's performance as the Devil was divinely inspired.  And when the main character's name is Ezekiel, that just puts it over the top.  (Of course it was too good to last.)

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:03:06 PM »
That zombie under the table only weighs 19 pounds but sounds like he's a bear in the room with us. 

Matchstickman

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:27:02 AM »
Just to let you know, my sister and I were the other 2 watching Brimstone.
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »
Josh and I were all about that show. I actually met John Glover once at work while he was filming a documentary on Kerouac.   

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 01:24:51 AM »
Like 12 year old girls Zeke and I would talk about that show after each episode.

If podcasting had existed we would have had an extremely lame fanboy one about Brimstone. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Weathertop

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 12:09:18 PM »
You still can.

I would be all over a Brimstone revisitation episode.   Brimstone is like a good book you keep on your shelf.  You know the author's probably not going to write another one, but that doesn't diminish the excellence of the book you've got.

It would be interesting to hear a comparison of Brimstone with Dresden or Supernatural.  Where does one succeed and the other fail?

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »
Or a comparison between Brimstone and Reaper?

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »
My D&D game is pretty gritty.  Lots of PC death and "wins" that don't mean much.  I didn't really intend for it to be that way, but it has.  I've said it before, but I think my group would have more fun playing Savage Worlds.  I think there would be far less character deaths...

We never really had a stated social contract though, it just evolved that way.  I actually don't think I would enjoy playing in my game that much.
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 10:15:48 PM »
My D&D game is pretty gritty.  Lots of PC death and "wins" that don't mean much.  I didn't really intend for it to be that way, but it has.  I've said it before, but I think my group would have more fun playing Savage Worlds.  I think there would be far less character deaths...

We never really had a stated social contract though, it just evolved that way.  I actually don't think I would enjoy playing in my game that much.

I have definitely run games that my players loved and I realize I would hate playing in. 

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:37:54 AM »
I think that's why I've had a horrible time in games that my players have run (save one, who won't DM anymore)...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »
I was pleased that I knew exactly what you were talking about w/ both Cyberpunk and Steampunk (even living in the desolate gaming area of small town south Texas during its release time).  Talsorian games sure knew how to get a mood going.

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
I enjoyed the podcast. My question: What's the difference between Grit and Noir?

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »
Noir is a specific flavor of Grit. Fight Club is gritty, but it's not noir. Technically anything outside of period is not Noir, although the term is often stretched.

Milo

• Monkey bussiness
    • Noctum
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 06:21:05 PM »
Noir is a specific flavor of Grit. Fight Club is gritty, but it's not noir. Technically anything outside of period is not Noir, although the term is often stretched.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 11:10:10 PM »

When people talk about noir in a game they are refering to a game with elements that call to mind "film noir." 

Grit is a more general term, like heroic. 

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 11:40:50 PM »
I've only played a little of Max Payne 2 and I think that it is gritty.

I think of Noir as either gritty or not... well, obviously, but it's pretty divided.  So, like May Payne is pretty noir and gritty.  So is SinCity or Chinatown or 12 Monkeys but whereas Citizen Kane probably isn't.

I think of the two as very similar, but Noir as more of the style of the movie and Grit as more of a theme.