Author Topic: epic spells  (Read 1804 times)

saethone

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
epic spells
« on: March 30, 2011, 03:05:08 AM »
so I have a wizard approaching epic levels and I was starting to think about epic spells. normally i come here and look up new ideas to get a frame of reference for when i start working on it, but i see nothing here.

is there a guide on them somewhere, or are they just so easy its impossible to screw up or what?

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: epic spells
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:42:19 AM »
so I have a wizard approaching epic levels and I was starting to think about epic spells. normally i come here and look up new ideas to get a frame of reference for when i start working on it, but i see nothing here.

is there a guide on them somewhere, or are they just so easy its impossible to screw up or what?

Lots of people screw them up. They are impossible to not do stupidly.

So what you do is, you make a spell that Summons, with a Permanent Duration, a Coutal, at no XP to develop or cast. Then you do that as many times as you want, until you get enough to use their mitigation to do that for Solars. Then, once you do that a few billion times, you use them to Mitigate absurd +one trillion to every stat spells, and ward against all spells. Then you win D&D.

Which is why you don't play at level 21 or higher.

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:50 PM »
Sure, epic spells are broken as hell, but then again, so is pre-epic spells. I read somewhere that it is possible to summon a solar riding the terrasque as a level 1 wizard, and we all know what kobolds can achieve by level 5.

My point is, that you can break D&D in half long before you can cast epic spells if only you intend to, so in my mind epic spells are no worse than regular spells.

There is a lot of golden epic spells scattered around this forum, but no guide. Do a search, it will come up with some good results.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »
The problem being that Epic Spells are useless compared to pre epic if you're not breaking them.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Aharon

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
I think they can be used in a non-broken way if you
a) dumpster dive through all the sourcebooks containing epic spells and pick those with the best cost-benefit-ratio, but disallow custom creation
or
b) allow custom creation with some mitigation, but keep things to reasonable levels. Nobody forces you to use 5 billion solars giving up spell slots for mitigation, some reasonable effects can already be created with your 3 group members each giving up 1 spell slot of each level.

A list containing some ok and some stupid epic spells can be found here.
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »
The thing with the existing spells though, is that practically all the non-broken ones are underpowered given the investment(money, experience) and the weaker casting times. Save for plot device effects anyway.

How often do you need to set a country on fire?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 05:46:11 PM »
How often do you need to set a country on fire?

"I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Come on, you can't tell me that you haven't always wanted an excuse to use that quote, followed by an insane laughter.

... I can't be the only one :-p

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »
Yep.
Mitigate to 1, so it's real cheap.
Mitigate to 0, so it's free.
Mitigate to -X, so you get infinitely rich.

Item of Psi Vigor with just standard things, takes care of the HD loss mitigate value.
Leadership(s) or Thrallherd chains, all the dude cast a level 1 spell to mitigate.
Epic item gives the EXP mitigate real easy.
Same with various spells that create duplicates of you.
etc ...

But yeah, setting up a buff loop or helper loop, gets you all the way up to A.H.
Need real CO trickery to get to a real infinity.