Author Topic: [PF]Primary Damage Dealer  (Read 5967 times)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
[PF]Primary Damage Dealer
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »
So I'm in a party hiking through the jungle on a Paizo adventure path (Serpent's Skull iirc, no spoilers plox) and I just died.  The game is PF only, preferably Core and APG only.  I was playing a Two Handed Weapon Fighter, using a Glaive and Power Attack to do all of the party damage (~75%).  We are level 3 and the rest of the party is:

Inquisitor: He has a high AC, but does basically nothing else.  He sucks at attacking, is constantly trying to cast the useless Sift spell, etc.
Illusionist: He sometimes casts Color Spray and Grease, but generally doesn't do much either.  We fight a fair number of undead or vermin so he qq's during that time.
Cleric: Healbot hardcore.
Alchemist: Throws bombs, does the other 25% of the party damage.

I played a Fey Sorcerer in the last game with these players and destroyed most of the campaign with the rest of the party being my cheerleaders (though I was silly enough about it and did enough BFC that they seemed to take it well).  That being said, I really can't do that again, but this party is doomed if I don't optimize something because the party was relying on me this time too (and I was a stupid fighter).

I don't want to just remake my character exactly the same, so that puts Fighter out (or at least a Fighter using two handed reach weapons).  I also don't want to flat out steal someone else's thunder.  Important point of the campaign (hopefully without spoilers) is that we are in the jungle and are reasonably far from civilization (at least for a while longer), fight things immune to mind affecting with some regularity.  I need to fill the damage dealing role,  I need to be viable from level 3+ (since that's what level we are).
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: [PF]Primary Damage Dealer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:55:58 PM »
Hmm, Paladin is hideously effective(even ranged), but since its a jungle, I'm not sure how often smiting opportunities come up. Whats the usual opposition?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Hmm, Paladin is hideously effective(even ranged), but since its a jungle, I'm not sure how often smiting opportunities come up. Whats the usual opposition?

[spoiler]
Demon Worshipping Human Barbarians of low level, fought in mass. Cannibals in game so they are terribly armored (AC ~11)
Animals of various types, often poisonous ones.  Snakes and Spiders commonly.  Large Lizards less commonly.
Undead, often ghouls but more recently some weird undead who burst disease when you hit them in melee.
[/spoiler]

The Inquisitor spends a lot of his time rambling about how he should burn everything for the Inquisition (he reads 40k a lot) and is trying to be a goody-goody while not really actually being one.  That makes me somewhat less interested in Paladin, but it's not totally out.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 02:19:22 PM »
So smiting, while not ineffective, would be impractical, and you certainly could use some ranged damage dealing.
Archery Ranger with Deadly Aim + Rapid Shot?
Halfling favored class bonus for ranger would be pretty handy too(AC bonus vs favored foes), and Swift As Shadows can be pretty handy for snipery, though the size and str penalty does rather hurt raw damage, before you trade the bonus accuracy back into damage with Deadly Aim & Rapid Shot. Plus of course, smaller means easier mounted combat and the lower speed doesn't matter so much when your mount does the moving for you, though again raw damage does go down if you're using shortbows.
Favored Enemy & Terrain seems likely to come up fairly often too.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:21:47 PM by veekie »
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »
So smiting, while not ineffective, would be impractical, and you certainly could use some ranged damage dealing.
Archery Ranger with Deadly Aim + Rapid Shot?
Halfling favored class bonus for ranger would be pretty handy too(AC bonus vs favored foes), and Swift As Shadows can be pretty handy for snipery, though the size and str penalty does rather hurt raw damage, before you trade the bonus accuracy back into damage with Deadly Aim & Rapid Shot. Plus of course, smaller means easier mounted combat and the lower speed doesn't matter so much when your mount does the moving for you, though again raw damage does go down if you're using shortbows.
Favored Enemy & Terrain seems likely to come up fairly often too.

That doesn't sound too bad, though dunno if I can get Halfling.  DM is encouraging me to take over one of the NPCs (because it makes the most sense on how someone would join the party) and they only have vague classes.  Might be able to be a human or Tengu archery ranger though as there are human and tengu roguey types.  Also human fightery types.  Might go with Archery though, sounds like a decent idea and I'll stop taking hits for the stupid inquisitor.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

nightshade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
Play a savage bard archer(UA) with dragonfire inspiration,words of creation and song of the heart and buff your party. That way everyone will deal more damage and you won't overshadow them. ( If thats available in PF)

(Jeez, these days I always recommend bards  ;) )

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
How come no one has mentioned Druid? Unless PF really screwed them they should still be good enough for your animal to replace your old character for the most part. Once you get wild shape, turn into something big and angry then proceed to smash your enemy into the ground. Not to mention you are in a freaking jungle, use it as your weapon.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »

That doesn't sound too bad, though dunno if I can get Halfling.  DM is encouraging me to take over one of the NPCs (because it makes the most sense on how someone would join the party) and they only have vague classes.  Might be able to be a human or Tengu archery ranger though as there are human and tengu roguey types.  Also human fightery types.  Might go with Archery though, sounds like a decent idea and I'll stop taking hits for the stupid inquisitor.
Go with Human then(halfling is just nice mostly because they're really hard to kill at this level and the size bonus to stealth is pretty good in a cover rich environment), can't go wrong with that and the Tengu stats are rather underwhelming. Human would have 3 feats on top of the archery bonus, so you got that Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim covered with 2 feats to spare. Which'd be going to Point Blank Shot + Precise Shot if I'm not mistaken.
Assuming Dex 18 and Str 14, that'd be +5 to hit and 1d8+5 x2 for a human using a longbow(shortbow might be a good idea still if you want to be mounted and full attack while moving. Goes to +7 1d8+7 on favored foes. More if you can wrangle a str buff, but the whole composite bow business is problematic anyway(halflings do get the sling staff, which I think you can get the racial bonus to get effective rapid reload for, and can be fired one handed in a pinch).

For druid, its level 3, so you'd be smashy in terms of aggressive animal companion and swinging Produce Flame around. Not quite what he seems to want. Granted, Entangle > all that damage.

@nightshade
He mentioned Core + APG only though. Which negates everything but the Bard bit.

Any character traits in play, and are you allowed to upgrade weapons rather than replace them? Heirloom weapon is a nice, single weapon specific weapon focus if you can upgrade it without a lot of trouble.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

DMM4ever

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
How come no one has mentioned Druid? Unless PF really screwed them they should still be good enough for your animal to replace your old character for the most part. Once you get wild shape, turn into something big and angry then proceed to smash your enemy into the ground. Not to mention you are in a freaking jungle, use it as your weapon.

It's because PF nerfed Druid into tier 2 or 3.

Honestly though, if you are in a jungle I can't see you being an archery ranger unless the DM handwaives cover rules.

Paladin got surprisingly good (ability not alignment) in PF.  The only problem is that most often times unless you are small sized your mount won't be going with you into places. 

If you want to go DPS and are allowed to use feats from the bestiary, go summoner and make your eidolon a claw-beast.  Those things get freaking terrifying levels of damage output at later levels.  At lower levels summon 1d3 dogs until you win.  never underestimate two or three well placed flanking buddies.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 12:15:41 AM »

Go with Human then(halfling is just nice mostly because they're really hard to kill at this level and the size bonus to stealth is pretty good in a cover rich environment), can't go wrong with that and the Tengu stats are rather underwhelming. Human would have 3 feats on top of the archery bonus, so you got that Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim covered with 2 feats to spare. Which'd be going to Point Blank Shot + Precise Shot if I'm not mistaken.
Assuming Dex 18 and Str 14, that'd be +5 to hit and 1d8+5 x2 for a human using a longbow(shortbow might be a good idea still if you want to be mounted and full attack while moving. Goes to +7 1d8+7 on favored foes. More if you can wrangle a str buff, but the whole composite bow business is problematic anyway(halflings do get the sling staff, which I think you can get the racial bonus to get effective rapid reload for, and can be fired one handed in a pinch).

For druid, its level 3, so you'd be smashy in terms of aggressive animal companion and swinging Produce Flame around. Not quite what he seems to want. Granted, Entangle > all that damage.

@nightshade
He mentioned Core + APG only though. Which negates everything but the Bard bit.

Any character traits in play, and are you allowed to upgrade weapons rather than replace them? Heirloom weapon is a nice, single weapon specific weapon focus if you can upgrade it without a lot of trouble.

One trait but it has to come from the campaign setting.  I'm allowed to upgrade weapons, but it's somewhat tricky while on the island (once we get off it's been said I can upgrade).  Entangle would step on the wizards toes too much, he's trying to do the BFC I did last campaign (not as successfully, but he'll still take it hard if I steal his schtick)

Enough of the battles are in woods that only seem to give +1 or 2 cover and they have AC 11 so it doesn't seem like a huge deal to use shooty shooty.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:28:29 AM »
It's because PF nerfed Druid into tier 2 or 3.
Hardly, they went from high T1 to medium T1. The sole change is that wild shape no longer replaces your stats so you can't dump it all to hell AND be a melee monster

Have to agree on the summoner thing but eh, its not for everyone.

What traits specifically available?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:36:29 AM »
How'zbout Human Ranger/Barbarian?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:02:25 AM »
That'd cost the Favored Terrain's bonuses in exchange for rage, as well as a level worth of favored class benefit. Which in turn means composite bow would probably not do(since the strength bonus is fixed), and you'd need a sling(which'd take Rapid Reload or being a halfling with the warslinger option), sling staff(halfling warslinger only) or a thrown weapon(quick draw needed) in exchange for a +2 to damage a few times a day.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 02:38:54 AM »
I've always had a dream of a gnome on a war dog who uses a lance.  And the dog can generally maneuver underground and navigate narrow places.

You could try making a "better" cannibal, a local who joins the PC's side.  Perhaps a fighter with some different tricks like proficiency in blowguns, bolas, or nets?

I take it you also need to be the primary damage sponge?

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 02:45:51 AM »
I've always had a dream of a gnome on a war dog who uses a lance.  And the dog can generally maneuver underground and navigate narrow places.

You could try making a "better" cannibal, a local who joins the PC's side.  Perhaps a fighter with some different tricks like proficiency in blowguns, bolas, or nets?

I take it you also need to be the primary damage sponge?

The inquisitor can be the primary damage sponge.  Also the DM jokingly said I could be a CN Cannibal Barbarian or something that joins the party.  I'll post the traits tomorrow, though they're all from the campaign book.  The only one that I know offhand is simply renamed from the core book is the one that gives you 300gp.  The rest are new (and generally weaker).
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 12:29:58 AM »
Okay first, these are the NPCs that are near the party and make the most plot sense for me to take over.  They don't actually have class levels just a general feel of what type of class they are.

Human Fighter-y Guy
Human Fighter-y Chick
Human Rogue-y Type
Tengu Rogue-y Type
Gnome Arcane Guy
Human Cleric Guy
Jokingly a CN Barbarian Savage was offered to me as well, I think I could possibly get the DM to approve it if I really wanted it.  

In addition I think I could sneak something else in to the game if necessary, but the DM would be happiest if I rolled with one of these.

I'm leaning toward turning the human rogue-y in to a Human Ranger that would look like:

Human Ranger 3
    Str 14 Dex 17 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 11 (20 Point Buy)
    AC: 17
    Animal Companion: Bird (To be gained at 4th level)
    Favored Enemy: Human
    Favored Terrain: Jungle

Feats:
    Point Blank (Human)
    Precise Shot (1st)
    Rapid Shot (Archery Bonus)
    Deadly Aim (3rd)

Though I would not have the animal companion yet. Stats also subject to change, I just typed something out quickly. Putting Human +2 in to Dexterity.

Traits still to be added later I'm afraid, have some papers to write this evening.

Edit:
Allowed Traits.  I may select 1.

Boarded in Cheliax: You receive a Mwk Map for use with Knowledge (Geography) for the region we're in.  You receive 200gp in "Mundane equipment"
Boarded in Mediogalti: You get a +2 on saves vs Poison. You are immune to one of these poisons: Blue whinnis, giant wasp, medium spider venom, small centipede venom, spidervine poison
Boarded in Mwangi: You get Polyglot as a bonus language (Campaign specific language, DM didn't allow anyone to start with), +1 Knowledge (Nature) regarding the jungle.
Boarded in Shackles: You get +1 on the save of your choice.
Boarded in Varisia: You get either +2 on Bluff against Jungle people or +1 Caster level when casting mind affecting things on jungle people.
Colonial: +1 Knowledge (Local), +1 Saves on Disease
Get the Cargo Through: You get 300gp
Jenievere Crew: Choose one of the following: Acrobatics, Climb, Knowledge (Nature or Geography), Swim or Survival.  Get +1 and it is always a class skill for you.
Mwangi Scholar: You get Polyglot, you get +1 Knowledge (History)
Stowaway: +1 on stealth checks and survival checks to find food

My first character had the poison one, the bonus on saves came up a lot but the immunity never came up (I picked giant wasp as it has the highest DC and we never fought any).

If it matters I died from failing a save against Ghoul Paralysis and then getting Coup de Grace'd.

Double Edit: I only get to buy equipment with level 1 gold, as my character has been marooned that long.  I have level 3 gold but there's no where to buy things.  I expect the DM to sort this out with "random" loot, as he's been quite good about that thus far.

Triple Edit:
Gear:
Chain Shirt (100gp +4 +4 -2)
Shortbow (30gp 1d6x3)
Arrow(s), Common (60) (3gp)
Arrow(s), Blunt (20) (2gp)
Gauntlet (1d3x2, 2gp)
Backpack, common (2gp)
Bell (1gp)
Chalk (10) (1sp)
Crowbar (2gp)
Fishhook (10) (1gp)
Flint and Steel (1gp)
Holy Symbol, Wooden (1gp)
Mug, Clay (2cp)
Rope, hemp (50ft) (1gp)
Sack (1sp)
Sunrod (2) (4gp)
Torch (10) (1sp)
Whistle (5cp)
Waterskin (1gp)

151.37gp spent
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:20:19 AM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 03:48:51 AM »
The save bonus trait looks the most rewarding in the long run, though if you're not doing mounted combat(if you are, get a mount with your companion once you qualify), you should get a longbow, and with that strength, a composite one.
Also pack some daggers/throwing weapons for emergencies, you might need to attack with only one hand.

Favored enemy wise, if the human barbarians are mooks, you might be better off selecting animals or undead, since they'd die in more or less one hit anyway.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 11:34:19 AM »
The save bonus trait looks the most rewarding in the long run, though if you're not doing mounted combat(if you are, get a mount with your companion once you qualify), you should get a longbow, and with that strength, a composite one.
Also pack some daggers/throwing weapons for emergencies, you might need to attack with only one hand.

Favored enemy wise, if the human barbarians are mooks, you might be better off selecting animals or undead, since they'd die in more or less one hit anyway.

The strength was indeed to get a composite bow in the long run, I just don't have the starting gold to start with one.  Daggers/Throwing Weapons seems like a good plan.  The Barbs are mooks right now, but the animals are also reasonably weak and fought in mass and the DM has tipped off that humans will play a fair role in this adventure for a while.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
Complete Character (For NowTM):

Human Ranger 3
Str 14 // Dex 17 // Con 14 // Int 10 // Wis 13 // Cha 10 (20 Point Buy)

HP 25 (3d10 + 6 + 3 Favored Class)
AC 17 (10 + 4 Armor + 0 Shield + 3 Dex)
BAB +3 // CMB +5 // CMD 18
Init: +3
Fort +5 // Ref +6 // Will +3

Trait: Boarded in the Shackles (+1 Will Save)

Feats:
  Point Blank Shot (Human)
  Precise Shot (1st)
  Rapid Shot (Archery 2)
  Deadly Aim (3rd)
  Endurance (Ranger 3)

Features:
  Wild Empathy
  Track
  Favored Enemy: Human +2
  Favored Terrain: Jungle +2

Skills:
  Climb (Str): 6 (1 +2 +3)
  Handle Animal (Cha): 4 (1 +0 +3)
  Heal (Wis): 5 (1 +1 +3)
  Knowledge (Geography) (Int): 4 (1 +0 +3)
  Knowledge (Nature) (Int): 6 (3 +0 +3)
  Perception (Wis): 7 (3 +1 +3)
  Ride (Dex): 7 (1 +3 +3)
  Stealth (Dex): 9 (3 +3 +3)
  Survival (Wis): 7 (3 +1 +3)
  Swim (Str): 6 (1 +2 +3)

Gear:
  Chain Shirt (100gp)
  Shortbow (30gp)
  Arrows, Common (60) (3gp)
  Arrows, Blunt (20) (2gp)
  Bell (1gp)
  Chalk (10) (1sp)
  Crowbar (2gp)
  Fishhook (10) (1gp)
  Flint and Steel (1gp)
  Gauntlet (2gp)
  Holy Symbol, Wooden (1gp)
  Mug, Clay (2cp)
  Rope, Hemp (50) (1gp)
  Sack (1sp)
  Sunrod (2) (4gp)
  Torch (10) (1sp)
  Whistle (5cp)
  Waterskin (1gp)
  Dagger (3) (6gp)
  Club (2) (-)

GP Remaining: 17gp, 6sp, 3cp

Thoughts:
  I'm not sure having a riding animal would work out, we often have restricted mobility, and when I inquired about a pack animal or horse at the beginning of the adventure the GM seemed not too keen on the idea.  That said, I feel naked without Ride, and maybe it will work itself out, so I got the skill.

Plan:
  Hunter's Bond: I plan to make this a bird to do spotting for the party.  I considered making it a riding animal but see above.  I considered the other ability involving favored enemy, but since I will likely be the only person actually attacking competently (See the description of the party) I'm not sure there's any point.
  Archery 6: Manyshot?
  Archery 10: Improved Precise Shot?
  Archery 14: ???
  Archery 18: ???

Other non-Bonus Feats:
    Far Shot?  We spend enough time wandering around and ambushing (or at least being able to ambush, until now we haven't really made use of this and just charged in) that I think this could actually come up.
    Shot on the Run?  Meh?  This will probably be one of the two other Bonus feats.
   Improved Initiative?: I like going first. 

ACF:
  Skirmisher is the only one that jumped out at me, and non of the tricks seemed that exciting.  Worth considering I suppose and I'm open to advice on the matter.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:35:43 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 12:12:18 AM »
For ambush, I think I like Readyshot (Heroes of Battle?) more than Far Shot.