Author Topic: Dead Earth: Side Board  (Read 27234 times)

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
  • I think I'm getting pretty good.
    • Email
Dead Earth: Side Board
« on: March 26, 2011, 04:05:05 AM »
Playing Pingo, in The Artifact Prologue.

Running Dead Earth for my old table top group.

Pimpforged

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Dead Earth: Side Board
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »
"Hmmmm..." Brock said, clicking the toothpick in his mouth against his teeth. "I don't know about you but I'm ready to abandon ship. This city is fucked. No sense hangin around to be fucked with it." Brock stood still for a moment, obviously deep in thought. They would need a vehicle, preferably something like an SUV that would hold plenty of supplies and could go off road if that became necessary. Also, in the current market it should be easy enough to "borrow" one, Brock thought with a smirk.

After that they would need to do a bit of scavenging for the necessities. He listed off what they would need in his mind. Food, water, fuel, bullets... toothpicks. He was almost out and casually shifted them to the top of his list. He turned back to Builder and quietly added air freshener and deodorant to his list as he noticed the stench coming from the man. Then again, he doubted he smelled any better.

"Well, I say we get out of this place, find some wheels, fill it up with supplies and GTFO. What do you think?" Brock asked Builder.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:52:17 PM by Pimpforged »

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 02:12:51 AM »
Sounds better than staying here. I'm sure no one will care if we 'borrow' a ride. Fuckin' cops can bite my ass. He scowls. On second thought, one of them tries to bite me I'll not take kindly to it.

He gathers up his tools. Seeing his contractor bag, he remembers his small computer. Want to check the news to see where they're letting folks leave?

Pimpforged

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »
Brock lets out an involuntary snort of laughter at Builder's remark. He was beginning to like Builder despite their unusual "introduction" he thought with a smirk, thinking of his sore ribs. The man knew how to handle himself in a fight, and he had his priorities straight. Survival first, everything else second.

"Good idea." said Brock, "You think this place has Wi-Fi?"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:50:18 PM by Pimpforged »

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »
That's what this is for. He says, as he pulls out a cellular modem. As long as the towers aren't down we should be able to find the latest news.

[spoiler]Do I need to roll anything just to look at the local new sites, Google, and CNN? If so, I'll just take 10. Not trying to do anything fancy, just see if there's an evac site or if the gubmint is doing a cover up.[/spoiler]

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »
Bob "the Builder" uses his cell phone and logs onto the web service. He easily finds the information he is looking for, and much more. The entire world's eyes were on the state of Colorado and America's government, wanting to know what they would do. Meanwhile on forums across the web theories and information were popping up from conspiracy theorists, claiming it was a government experiment gone wrong, to survivors in Colorado posting information on how to survive the "Infected" as they were now dubbed on the internet. Whatever was happening it was obvious that the media attempted to cover it up and were now failing due to the online videos being posted showing the flesh eating creatures men and women had become. The media was lying, said the conspiracy theorists, because of secret societies that were behind the experiments.

Bob shook his head. Wow, there was a lot going on apparently. Countries around the world were closing their borders to America until the situation was sorted out, he also found the info he set out to find. He closed his phone and nodded to Brock. "North of here. There is a check point into Wyoming. They are letting people who haven't been in contact with...those people through".

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 05:09:45 AM »
I think we should head that way, but it's probably going to be crowded. Bob continues. What do you think, Brock?.

Pimpforged

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »
Brock thought quietly for a moment. Crowded seemed... Bad. He thought of large number of people trying to get out through the checkpoint. If even one of them was infected with whatever the fuck this was...

He remembered how quickly it spread during the initial outbreak. He doubted that he and Builder would be able to survive in such a situation. He was good, but not that good. Even if they did, the national guard or whoever was manning the checkpoint would probably just start gunning everyone down anyway.

His mind quickly turned to other options.

South? Hell no, Denver was one of the largest cities in the US.

West? Out west there was a whole lotta nothing.

East? More nothing, but they could follow 76 up into Nebraska if the border was open.

"I dunno" replied Brock "I say we gather our supplies first, then check the news again before we decide where to go."

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »
Well, I don't care to bust down people's doors. They might think we're one of those things. Let's head outside and maybe try to find a market or diner that's still in decent shape. I haven't eaten in a while. He winks at that last remark.

I'd feel better on the move anyway.

[spoiler]Stealing this from Gnomeo. I like it.
HP: 41
AC: 17
AP: 10[/spoiler]

Pimpforged

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:45:14 PM »
"Works for me. I could go for some food, and maybe a Red Bull, the wings could come in handy." Brock says with a smirk.

Brock makes sure his brass knuckles are gripped tightly with his left hand, while he draws his Glock with his right. He then begins to descend the stairs, moving surprisingly quietly for a man of his size. He pauses every few steps to listen intently for any sounds of trouble.

[spoiler]
Move Silently (1d20+2=21)
Listen (1d20+7=19)
Spot (1d20+6=15)

Brock is also only taking a single move action per round, and is constantly making a ready action to kill the shit out of any zombies that try to eat him.

I'm also gonna activate Combat Expertise for +1 AC / -1 Attack Rolls

Status
[Spoiler]
Gonna copy this too cause it makes it easy on the DM
HP: 42
AC: 18
Action Points: 10
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:55:38 PM by Pimpforged »

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:12:09 AM »
Brock moves like a cat down the stairs, seeing nothing so far. He listens for trouble but hears nothing but the pandemonium of the surrounding city. Suddenly as he rounds another flight of stairs he sees this lying in the corner below.

[spoiler]

and never mind the random shit around him, your inside a building damn it![/spoiler]

"Shit"! Brock yelps in surprise and shock, holding bag an initial gag reflex at the sight of the mutilated corpse. He hefts the glock and takes a couple steps down the stairs, looking for a threat. He immediately sees another corpse on this floor, lying the corner opposite of the first one before you take the stairs down again. A metal steel door is behind this new corpse but the door is closed, and impossible to open from this side...he thinks. Brock looks at the new corpse. It was obviously one of those monster fucks, the corpse's hand was twisted and mutated into talons. <The better to tear your flesh with>, he thought. The creature also had meat in it's teeth as it laid back against the wall, it's mouth hanging wide open.

Without taking his eye's off the corpses, you never knew when one would get up and come after you again, Brock yelled back behind him to Builder. "We got some bodies here. Look dead. I mean, dead dead". How old was this? For fuck's sake this could have happened in the night while one of them was sleeping upstairs. Maybe both since they had both passed out for a couple hours near the end of the morning. Brock took another look at the carnage. There was something odd about it.

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:44:28 AM »
[spoiler]I could have done without that. :twitch :fu :P[/spoiler]

Hanging back, because he has none of the other man's trained stealth, Builder nearly falls down the stairs running when he hears Brock exclaim. By the time Brock yells back, he is almost in the room. <Poor bastard. Better him than me.> He thinks, trying to ignore the obviously dead... man?

Builder hangs back in the doorway, as Brock seems to be intent on one of the bodies.

Checks:[spoiler]
Move Silently: 12 (taking 10) until he hears Brock yell.
Spot: (1d20=15) Keeping watch while Brock investigates[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:40:36 AM »
As Builder takes a look around he notices a gun in the corner near the disembodied corpse. He also notices that the Infected has a gunshot wound in the chest, looks to be in the creature's heart. Near one corpse is a steel door. Builder immediately knew it was a fire exit door to the fire escape outside. He looked at the other door nearby that went into the hotel. Floor 3. They were pretty close to the ground and could most likely exit from the bottom inside too. He looks back up the stairs, nothing following them. He looks down the stairs but can only see the opposite wall. Since it seems safe for the moment he takes the time to point out the gun and gunshot wound to Brock.

Pimpforged

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »
"Fuck." Brock hisses under his breath as he realizes there must be at least one more of those things nearby. He thumps the heel of his left hand against his forehead as he realizes his dumb ass has been yelling like a retard with more of those whateverthefucktheyare's nearby. <Think you big stupid lug, think! Use that thing between your ears for something more than gathering cobwebs!>

His eyes dart back and forth as he forces his tired mind into action.

Where could it have gone?

Up? No, if it had they would have noticed and he highly doubted the thing would sneak by the two of them while they were sleeping without stopping for a snack.
Down? Definitely possible.
[spoiler]
Spot check to look for some kind of a blood trail leading down.
Spot (1d20+6=20)
[/spoiler]
Through one of the doors? Are these things smart enough open doors?
[spoiler]
Spot check on the doors. Looking for blood or something to indicate if one of them has been opened. Also on the fire door, I check for a sign to see if an alarm will go off if it's opened. That seems like it would be...
Bad
Spot (1d20+6=16)
[/spoiler]

"I think there's at least one more of those things nearby." Brock quietly mutters to his companion "I'll watch your back; see if you can't find some more ammo on that body, and take the gun too, it may come in handy."

[spoiler]
Spot check for zombies coming at us, also keeping an eye on the re-dead zombie.
Spot (1d20+6=17)

Listen check for the same
Spot (1d20+7=15) (forgot to change the description to listen, sorry)

Same actions as before:
Combat Expertise for 1
Ready action to attack anything that tries to kill us.

Status
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:46:34 PM by Pimpforged »

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »
Builder slides the wrench into his toolbelt and starts to pick through the... remains. <I don't get paid enough for this shit.> He thinks, almost like a mantra to himself. It keeps his mind off what it is he is searching through. After taking anything useful, including money and/or credit cards, he stands up.

He whispers, Down or out, buddy? I don't feel like meeting those things in the stairwell, with only one of us to fight it at a time, but that might be better than being caught in the open.

Search: (1d20+1=13) the remains.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Unarmed, Distracted
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 07:18:19 PM by Mystic Lemur »

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »
Brock scans the area for danger once more before kneeling down and examining the floor. There are indeed spots of blood and they lead forward to the fire door. Brock stands up and examines the door. There is a bloody hand stain on the part that you push in to open the door. He sees a fire alarm next to the door.

Brock turns and looks at the stairs again, watching for danger as Builder checks the bodies. For the moment he sees no danger and hears nothing either. It's unusually quiet he thinks to himself, too quiet.

Builder stands up and turns to Brock. "Found some things".

[spoiler]Builder has recovered the mutilated man's wallet, his money and ID, showing him once to be a dark haired man with glasses. Another ID shows him as a scientist working for the Parasol Corporation. He also finds the man's passport and a tape recorder. On the former Infected he finds only a wallet and an ID, from his clothes Builder thinks he was a blue collar man too. The gun he recovered: [spoiler]Bernardelli P6. Italian 9mm Double-Action Autoloader Pistol. The P6 is a compact pistol designed for concealed carry. It is similar in design and operation to the Walther PP, which Bernardelli once produced under license. It uses a locked breech, permitting the use of full-powered 9mm Parabellum ammunition. Variants: The P6 is produced in a variety of other calibers, including .32 ACP and .380 ACP. The P8 is a slightly modified variant, with additional redundant safety devices, that is intended for sale on the U.S. market.

d20 Modern Rules: This weapon grants a +2 circumstance bonus
on Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal the weapon.
Bernardelli P6 (9mm Autoloader)
Damage: 2d6 Magazine: 7 box
Critical: 20 Size: Small
Damage Type: Ballistic Weight: 2 lb.
Range Increment: 30 ft. Purchase DC: 16
Rate of Fire: S Restriction: Lic (+1)[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Pimpforged

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 12:05:04 AM »
"Just take everything." Whispers Brock, "We can look at it more closely when we get somewhere safer."

"I think the thing that got this poor bastard went out through the fire exit, I say we keep going down, at least if we get jumped on the stairs they should only be able to come at us one or two at a time.

[Spoiler]

How wide are the stairs?

Status
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:06:39 AM by Pimpforged »

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 12:27:51 AM »
Putting the 'loot' in a pocket of his contractor bag and pulling out the wrench again, Builder motions for Brock to lead the way. <I don't see how he moves so quiet. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two from him, but for now> I'll hang back, just like last time. I'll come running if you yell.

Move Silently: 12 (Taking 10)
Listen: (1d20=11)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

Pimpforged

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 12:46:15 AM »
"All right, I'll lead." replies Brock "But I'd feel better if you stayed just a few feet back from me. That way if we get attacked from behind, I can help you, and vice versa."

[spoiler]Don't split the party![/spoiler]

Brock begins moving down the stairs, hugging the wall so that he cannot be flanked from the sides. Once again, he moves cautiously, pistol in one hand, brass knuckles in the other, stopping every few feet to listen for danger.

[spoiler]

Same deal as before, taking only partial actions, ready action to attack anything that tries to murder me, combat expertise for 1.
Move Silently (1d20+2=17)
Listen (1d20+7=20)
Spot (1d20+6=7)  :shakefist (at least it wasn't on my move silently)

Status
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 01:54:07 AM »
Brock turns to the stairs, they are industrial, at least ten feet wide. As Builder does his best to be quiet he listens out for trouble, but hears nothing for the moment. As Builder looks around his knowledge of architect tells him that this the most durable part of the building, could survive a bomb exploding inside the hotel and is built to protect people from fire as well. He thinks that he may not be able to hear much due to the thickness of the concrete walls.

Brock descends the stairs, looking for trouble but sees none. It isn't long before he reaches the bottom of the stairs. Here the room opens up a little. The room is empty. There are two doors. A fire escape, and a hotel key card door. You didn't need a card key to open it from this side however.

Looking outside the hotel door he sees the street out front. There are parked cars and buildings on the other side of the street. Before he makes out more something catches his eye. Men in black leather walk down the street, they look like burly, hairy bikers. There are at least ten of them. From one of the buildings across the street a man runs out to meet them. He looks not to be affiliated with them. Brock sees the man looks obviously relieved and quite happy to see the men.  The men look at each other and look to be smiling. Suddenly, without warning, one of them lifts a sawed off shotgun and blows the fellow nearly in half. The men burst out laughing as if someone had just told a hilarious joke. But from inside at this distance the only thing Brock could really hear was the blast of the loud weapon. The men stop and circle around the man and at this point Brock can see several of them are holding large liquor bottles and drinking from them. Two of the men undo their pants and pull them down as they look to be pissing on the corpse. Then, with jovial looks on their faces they begin walking off. He notes most of them appear to  be armed.