Author Topic: God-Touched Templates  (Read 24758 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: God-Touched Templates
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 02:16:43 AM »
That would what I had listed previously.
Maybe DR 1/-, or gains a combat feat like Blind-Fight, or when you gain a critical hit you add your critical modifier of your weapon (eg. x2 on a longsword) to the damage dealt.

Since I had a PC who wanted this, I let her have it, but I added in the last part. I got the idea from Pathfinder's trait Killer.

She's also got the Kord god-blooded LA that I let her buy off, and it does say in there that it was mostly for a PC to be more competitive by giving you bonuses to your Str and Dex checks for 1 minute, giving you +1 to your over all damage, and that you take only half Con damage from whatever.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 02:59:55 AM »
The minor bonus on crits isn't that appealing (Nothing Kord-like about it, especially since he's a fan of the Greatsword, which is a big-base-damage weapon but not as much on the crits), but minor DR is a little appealing. Although I might try for something that better advances the image of someone who just loves fighting.

How about:

Grin and Bear It (Ex): A Kord-Touched creature completely ignores the first attack that targets it in a combat, whether it is a melee, ranged, or magical attack. This ability can only activate once every hour.

That may be entirely too strong, but I've always loved playing characters who would take a hit, smile, and keep coming. It's one of the things I love most about Crusaders.

I also considered just giving Kord-Touched characters +8 strength instead of +6. It's not that big a deal, but it could make a difference of 2 damage if your strength modifier was odd before (Two-handed weapon). It will also accomplish the bonus damage on crits you were talking about without restricting them to crits.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 03:11:48 AM »
Instead of +8 Str, what about +6 Str and +2 Con? Kord's a barbarian so Con's important, but if you're all about competing, strength and dexterity are only going to take you so far if you don't have the endurance to last out the first couple of rounds.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 05:59:58 PM »
or

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »
Hextor's should get mentioned, I think. +10 on all opposed checks might be a mite too strong. It doesn't just apply to grapple, trip, disarm, etc. attempts. Many skills use it as well, such as Bluff (for lying), Sense Motive (to discover the same), Forgery, Hide/Move Silently/Spot/Listen (the scouting skills), Intimidate, Sleight of Hand (same check result is used against the flat DC and opposed against Spot), and Disguise. Charisma checks for Charm spells and Planar Binding can also take advantage of that massive boost. It makes the template surprisingly good for a sneaky skill monkey, of all things.

A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 05:32:09 AM »
The "+1 arcane caster level" ... this is only CL, not spells known/castable, correct?

Dominant (Ex): +10 on all opposed checks -> it is hard to value, but very cool.  Roughly speaking:  Interactions, Sneak/Detect, & Tactics.  Rather powerful.  Maybe +6 ?

Claimed by Nerull ->  Very cool, but undead ~ +1, and strength in death (with +4 Cha bonus ~ +4 con bonus) ~ +1.  A little too powerful.

Very cool templates.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 11:04:49 AM »
Dude this is awesome! Would you add one if I made it?  ;)
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 06:49:40 PM »
Sorry it took some time to respond.

I think I'd like some fast healing on Kord-Touched actually. I may have let my personal fondness for Powerful Build skew my sense of the template's balance. I really do love Powerful Build, I also love fast healing :)

Hextor's should get mentioned, I think. +10 on all opposed checks might be a mite too strong. It doesn't just apply to grapple, trip, disarm, etc. attempts. Many skills use it as well, such as Bluff (for lying), Sense Motive (to discover the same), Forgery, Hide/Move Silently/Spot/Listen (the scouting skills), Intimidate, Sleight of Hand (same check result is used against the flat DC and opposed against Spot), and Disguise. Charisma checks for Charm spells and Planar Binding can also take advantage of that massive boost. It makes the template surprisingly good for a sneaky skill monkey, of all things.

I was aware of this at the ability's inception. The idea was that Hextor's chosen would dominate when they were called to do so. You have to build around it to make it overwhelming, which is OK with me. If you don't focus on it, you've gained a solid feature on your character.

I could drop the amount of bonus it gives, not sure to what though.

The "+1 arcane caster level" ... this is only CL, not spells known/castable, correct?

Dominant (Ex): +10 on all opposed checks -> it is hard to value, but very cool.  Roughly speaking:  Interactions, Sneak/Detect, & Tactics.  Rather powerful.  Maybe +6 ?

Claimed by Nerull ->  Very cool, but undead ~ +1, and strength in death (with +4 Cha bonus ~ +4 con bonus) ~ +1.  A little too powerful.

Very cool templates.

Best,
David

Yes it's just to caster level, not an additional level of spellcasting. Caster level is a statistic, and this just gives you +1 to it.

As for Nerull's ability, I don't like undead, and I may have let my dislike of them color my sense of balance in this case. The thing is I couldn't imagine separating the bonuses. Throwing them the new way to determine hitpoints seems awkward if they don't have a need for it, and just making them undead without any back up isn't a +1 at all.

Dude this is awesome! Would you add one if I made it?  ;)

I don't have a problem with collaboration or outside assistance. Whether I add it or not would be determined by the merits of the template you made. Also if you made one for a god I'd already done I may or may not struggle to see the point (If yours is obviously better, I won't have a problem seeing the point. If it's just different or worse, I will). I might welcome the idea of someone else handling the gods I had trouble with, but it would be hard to judge quality on something that was vague the first time I reviewed it. Homebrew gods or gods from different settings will be listed as such.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:53:41 PM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
For the Kord-Touched, I removed the Powerful Build, and added that they get Ferocity (ie Diehard). The main difference is you don't bleed nor are you staggered. You act as normal until -10. Also, Kord's a barbarian with rage so I also gave it the +1 attack and +1 damage that you gave St. Cuthbert.