Author Topic: God-Touched Templates  (Read 24757 times)

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
God-Touched Templates
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
I'm working on making a template for each god in the theme of the Lolth-Touched template. I want them all to be of closely equivalent power and to fit their gods as much as possible (Lolth's is actually really good for spiders specifically).

Most of them are incomplete (It should be obvious which) and once I am firm in what they'll offer I'll rewrite them all in a template format. All will get you proficient with your god's weapons, but I'm not factoring the "power" of weapon proficiencies into the power of each template. If I do my job right all of these should be worth +1 LA and fit each deity's portfolio. All will also force your alignment in line with the deity responsible for blessing you.

If I can ever get these done to a satisfactory point I was considering doing God-Blooded templates too (MMV), but a lot of the abilities I was coming up with for these actually seem like they'd better fit God-Blooded, so maybe there's too much overlap already.

God-Touched Templates

[spoiler]Boccob

Neutral
+4 Intelligence
+4 Charisma
+4 to all Knowledge and Decipher Script checks
Uncaring (Ex): You are immune to compulsions and any spells or effects that would change your alignment.
You gain Weapon Focus with the quarterstaff. If you have Weapon Focus from another source you instead gain Weapon Specialization with the quarterstaff.

Poked by Corellon Larethian

Chaotic Good
+6 Dexterity
Augmented Critical (Ex): Your critical threat range with all weapons, including natural weapons, weapon-like spells,  and unarmed strikes, is doubled. You gain a +4 bonus to confirm critical threats.
+4 Ride and Tumble checks
Fast Healing: You gain Fast Healing equal to your constitution modifier. This stacks with other sources of fast healing.
You gain proficiency with long swords.

Ehlonna-loved

Neutral Good
+6 Wisdom
+6 Dexterity
+10 to all movement speeds, and you ignore difficult terrain of all kinds in any wooded area.
+4 Survival and Knowledge (nature) checks.
You gain proficiency with longbows, including composite longbows.

Spared by Erythnul

Chaotic Evil
Bloodthirsty (Ex): +2 bonus to attack and +2 damage at all times. Increases by +1 attack and damage any time you drop an enemy to 0 or fewer hit points, and an additional +1 attack and damage if you kill an enemy with a coup de gras. Bonuses accumulate, but disappear 1 minute after the last time you dropped a foe to 0 or fewer hit points. These bonuses do not apply to non-lethal damage, mercy gains you no favor with Erythnul.
Home in Slaughter (Ex): Creatures Erythnul favors have immunity to sickening and nausea.
You gain Weapon Focus with morningstars. If you already had Weapon Focus from another source, you instead gain Weapon Specialization with morningstars.

Companion of Fharlanghn

Neutral
+6 Constitution
+10 to all movement speeds for each 5 HD you possess.
+2 to Spot, Listen, and Survival
Immune to fatigue and exhaustion as long as you end each round at least 10 feet from where you began it.
You gain Weapon Focus with the quarterstaff. If you have Weapon Focus from another source you instead gain Weapon Specialization with the quarterstaff.

Glittering Fellow

Neutral Good
+6 Charisma
+4 Intelligence
+6 Craft, Perform, Search, and Spot checks
Immunity to Charisma damage.

Watched by Gruumsh

Chaotic Evil
+8 Strength
+4 attack and damage + Greater Cleave against enemies with fewer Hit Dice than you or of a smaller size category
Gain Uncanny Dodge. Gaining Uncanny Dodge when you already have it allows you to instead gain Improved Uncanny Dodge.
Half-way there I turned back (Ex): You are immune to blindness.  
You gain Weapon Focus with the spear. If you have Weapon Focus from another source you instead gain Weapon Specialization with the spear.

Vanguard of Heironeous

Lawful Good
+6 Strength
+6 Charisma
Unyielding Valor (Ex): You are immune to profane damage and fear effects.
You gain proficiency with longswords.

Hextor's Chosen

Lawful Evil
+4 Str
+4 Int
Your base AC is 12 instead of 10.
Dominant (Ex): +10 on all opposed checks
You gain proficiency with flails.

Kord-Touched

Chaotic Good
+6 Strength
You gain the Powerful Build extraordinary ability.
You also gain Fast Healing equal to your Constitution modifier.
Fearless (Ex): Kord-Touched creatures have immunity to all fear effects.
You gain proficiency with great swords.

Lolth-Touched (Monster Manual IV, page 93) - I have this in here so I can keep looking at it for balance/power. Every template should be roughly as good/bad as this.

Chaotic Evil
+6 Strength
+6 Constitution
+4 on Hide and Move Silently checks
Fearless (Ex): Lolth-Touched creatures have immunity to all fear effects.

Moradin-Forged

Lawful Good
+8 Constitution
Your 5-foot steps become 10-foot steps. This never interferes with any of your abilities or prohibits you from benefiting from them. These new 10-foot steps are counted as 5-foot steps any time you would suffer for moving more than 5 feet.
+4 Craft and Knowledge (architecture and engineering) checks
You gain proficiency with the warhammer.

Claimed by Nerull

Neutral Evil
+4 Charisma
You gain the undead type, losing your Constitution score as usual.
Strength in Death (Ex): You gain bonus hit points from HD equal to your Charisma modifier or your Strength modifier, whichever is higher.
Reaper (Ex): You can perform a coup de gras as a free action.
You gain proficiency with the scythe.

Obad-Hai

Neutral
+2 Strength
+2 Dexterity
+2 Constitution
+2 Intelligence
+2 Wisdom
+2 Charisma
+1 to all saves
You may always take a 20 on Survival checks, even when distracted or threatened. This does not increase the time required to use the skill.

Olidammarra

Chaotic Neutral
+4 Dexterity
+2 Intelligence
+4 Charisma
+4 Bluff, Disguise, Sleight of Hand checks
Laugh it off (Ex): You are immune to spells and effects that automatically overcome disguises or compel you to tell the truth. You can still be identified by the spot and sense motive skills when they overcome your disguise or bluff checks.
You gain proficiency with the rapier.

Pelor

Neutral Good
+4 Strength
+2 to all Saves
Life Bloom (Ex): You gain fast healing equal to half your HD, which you can share with anyone by touching them. If you touch an undead with this ability, they will take damage equal to your fast healing value. Doing so requires a melee touch attack which does not provoke attacks of opportunity. This attack can be made in place of any normal melee attack, but only once per round.
You gain Weapon Focus with maces. If you have Weapon Focus from another source you instead gain Weapon Specialization with maces.

St. Cuthbert

Lawful Neutral
+4 Constitution
+4 Wisdom
Vengeful (Ex): You gain a +1 cumulative bonus to attack and damage every time you are damaged in combat. This fades 1 minute from the last occasion you took damage.
You gain Weapon Focus with maces. If you have Weapon Focus from another source you instead gain Weapon Specialization with maces.

Vecna

Neutral Evil
+6 Intelligence
You leave no trail, as the "Trackless Step" feature of the Druid class, only not restricted to any particular terrain.
+1 arcane caster level
+2 Disguise, Hide, and Move Silently checks. In addition all of these are now class skills for you. No ability or effect that would automatically detect you works as it should. Those who would notice your or divine your identity must always succeed on the appropriate spot or listen check to do so.
You gain Weapon Focus with daggers. If you have Weapon Focus from another source you instead gain Weapon Specialization with daggers.

Wee Jas

Lawful Neutral
+6 Charisma
+1 arcane and divine caster level
+1 save DCs to all of your spells
You gain Weapon Focus with daggers. If you have Weapon Focus from another source you instead gain Weapon Specialization with daggers.

Yondalla

Lawful Good
+6 Dexterity
+2 Dodge Bonus to AC
+2 Bonus on all saving throws
+6 Survival checks
You gain proficiency with the short sword.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:51:19 PM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: God-Touched Templates
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:20:09 AM »
I want you to know I'm watching this with interest. :flutter

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 02:47:06 AM »
Glad to have someone interested  :)

They are mostly done. There are a couple that I'm not 100% happy with, but those are the ones where I'm not sure where to go. Douchebags like Garl Glittergold are hard to represent in a template since they're such lame gods to begin with.

I just need to work on the names.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:50:48 AM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 03:33:04 AM »
These look pretty good. I just hope I can find a DM who will actually let me play them! The Corellon might actually make elves look decent.  :p

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:39:12 AM »
The ones I really disagree with are Erythnul, Grummsh, Hextor, and Obad-Hai. The rest of them are pretty excellent, especially Vecna. Erythnul and Grummsh are both pretty boring, just granting an overwhelming bonus to attacks and damage and little else. Hextor you seem to grossly overvalue the power of +10 to opposed checks, and Obad-Hai just doesn't make any sense to me. Why is the god of nature and balance super dexterous and a nimble performance artist?

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:42:09 PM »
The ones I really disagree with are Erythnul, Grummsh... Erythnul and Grummsh are both pretty boring, just granting an overwhelming bonus to attacks and damage and little else.

Well the original Lolth-touched Template wasn't jump-out-of-your seat exciting, it was just solid. That's the level of effectiveness I was going for with the others.

Erythnul and Gruumsh ARE both pretty boring. Most the gods are. Erythnul just likes killing shit (Always fun, but hardly original) and Gruumsh is one of the race-gods, loving on orcs whenever he gets a chance. Most of the race gods suck fluff-wise imo.

I will point out though that Erythnul's bonuses apply to all attacks and any time you do damage. That's 1 less than Lolth-Touched, applies to more than melee attacks, and increases when you kill people.

I'm not opposed to improving them, I just ran out of ideas. Although I think I'll make Gruumsh's followers immune to blindness.

Hextor you seem to grossly overvalue the power of +10 to opposed checks

While I confess not every build uses opposed checks and I should probably put more in there than that, I thought it would be a nice bonus to those that did. I was having difficulty figuring the value of it, which is why there is so little else. Grapple, Bull Rush, Hide, Move Silently, Bluff, Intimidate, all are opposed checks.

Any ideas? I thought of a + to save DCs of domination spells, but that was so specific I wasn't sure I should bother with it. There are also other such bonuses available in various directions.

Obad-Hai just doesn't make any sense to me. Why is the god of nature and balance super dexterous and a nimble performance artist?

There wasn't a lot I could think of for Obad-Hai. The dexterity came from seeing he was keen on freedom, so someone with his template will have an effective +10 on Escape Artist. There isn't a lot about him that translates into statistical benefits though.

The rest of them are pretty excellent, especially Vecna.

Glad you liked the rest of them. I think I'll improve Hextor's ability bonuses by 2 each, add immunity to blindness for Gruumsh's people, and I'll just have to keep thinking on Obad-Hai and Erythnul.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:46:53 PM by Bloody Initiate »

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
Personally I'm not big fan on Lolth-Touched to begin with since it only gives some static bonus. But if you're using it as base point, then those are pretty nice.

Except for Erythnul, wich suffers from the bag of rats effect. Get a bunch of squishy animals/vermins near you. Greater cleave. Proceed to one-shot everything you face for 1 minute.

The ones I really disagree with are Erythnul, Grummsh... Erythnul and Grummsh are both pretty boring, just granting an overwhelming bonus to attacks and damage and little else.

Well the original Lolth-touched Template wasn't jump-out-of-your seat exciting, it was just solid. That's the level of effectiveness I was going for with the others.

Erythnul and Gruumsh ARE both pretty boring. Most the gods are. Erythnul just likes killing shit (Always fun, but hardly original) and Gruumsh is one of the race-gods, loving on orcs whenever he gets a chance. Most of the race gods suck fluff-wise imo.

I will point out though that Erythnul's bonuses apply to all attacks and any time you do damage. That's 1 less than Lolth-Touched, applies to more than melee attacks, and increases when you kill people.

I'm not opposed to improving them, I just ran out of ideas. Although I think I'll make Gruumsh's followers immune to blindness.

If you're willing to bring them to the improved monster classes thread , we can work on that part. :p

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »
Obad Hai is the balance of nature isn't he?
So elemental powers(IIRC hes one of the few who have all four elemental domains)? Captain Planet?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:04:19 AM »
These look pretty good. I just hope I can find a DM who will actually let me play them! The Corellon might actually make elves look decent.  :p

I'm glad you like them! I originally considered giving the Corellon one a straight-up con boost, but I'm finding that my initial ideas that come to me easily feel underwhelming compared to what I get when I think about it a bit.

Personally I'm not big fan on Lolth-Touched to begin with since it only gives some static bonus. But if you're using it as base point, then those are pretty nice.

Static bonuses have a place. Especially if they're given in large quantities.

Sure that +6 Strength and Constitution may not seem that special at level 20 (Actually the Con gets better with every new HD), but it makes a difference at the levels that matter.

Except for Erythnul, wich suffers from the bag of rats effect. Get a bunch of squishy animals/vermins near you. Greater cleave. Proceed to one-shot everything you face for 1 minute.

I'm... not worried about that at all.

If you're willing to bring them to the improved monster classes thread , we can work on that part. :p

Once I have them solid here I had planned on making 1 level racial classes for them with your permission. The classes would grant smaller bonuses early on but would scale up to better total bonuses.

I'm not quite done with these though. I still have to rewrite them into template format and fluff them up a bit. I wanted to get the benefits of each template in stone before I started converting them though.

So elemental powers(IIRC hes one of the few who have all four elemental domains)? Captain Planet?

I've spread out the bonuses to be "balanced," not sure how much I like the result though. It's +2 to all attributes, which sounds nice, but bland. Another option I entertained was +2 to all saves and +4 to Str, Int, and Cha.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:10:00 AM by Bloody Initiate »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:56:12 AM »
Mastery of Elements, except it applies to everything? As in, you could hit someone with a lit torch and deal electric damage, or freeze people with flasks of acid.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »
Thats a great one, though acid might be a wee bit tricky to justify.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
Thats a great one, though acid might be a wee bit tricky to justify.
Eh, the D&D developers usually pick acid or physical as the damage type for earth, so it'd be consistent. Physical damage would work too (alchemist's earth grenades), although then you get the option to transform your melee attacks into elemental damage if you like.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 02:12:42 PM »
Bludgeoning/Fire/Electric/Cold seems a nice way to do it.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »
It's difficult to turn "elemental powers" into a worthy Ex or Su ability that you'd get from a template. You can make it so their level-dependent effects like caster level and initiator level are at +1 or so, but I've done that before and it doesn't feel as useful as some of the other options. I'll have to work on the wording to make it both encompassing enough and precise enough.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 01:43:58 AM »
Well, the universal energy substitution would be feat value, though probably not LA value on its own.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:06:34 AM »
Based on above suggestions:

Find a Way (Ex): Those chosen by Obad-Hai inherit his versatile command of the elements. Any time you would deal any type of damage, you may instead deal the same amount of damage in either Bludgeoning, Electricity, Fire, or Cold damage.

How's that look? The acid = earth thing wasn't working for me, especially since most natural acids are extremely weak and strong acids are generally very damaging to any ecosystem. Bludgeoning felt better.

Since the above strikes me as pretty powerful/useful, it would likely occupy most of the template for Obad-Hai. I thought about scaling it up so you could mix the energy types, but that was looking sloppy and lacked precedent in official material.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
I have to admit that while reading everything, Kord Touched has it bad compared to everyone else. Powerful build? Yay, I can use a larger weapon against the guy who's got CON mod fast healing and a really high Dex AC, or the other guy who's got +1/3 hp compared to me. He should have something else with that. Maybe DR 1/-, or gains a combat feat like Blind-Fight, or when you gain a critical hit you add your critical modifier of your weapon (eg. x2 on a longsword) to the damage dealt.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 04:33:42 PM »
Powerful Build makes you count as larger for purposes other than what weapons you can use. The +4 on trip, grapple, bull rush, etc. it gives is very helpful.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »
Powerful Build makes you count as larger for purposes other than what weapons you can use. The +4 on trip, grapple, bull rush, etc. it gives is very helpful.
Yeah, but when you compare it to fast healing CON mod, +4 to confirm crits, and improved critical for free, it's not all that great. If you never get tripped, grappled, bull rushed, etc, it's just padding that could have been something better.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 02:10:31 AM »
Well to get that fast-healing and good crit bonuses you've eaten a +1 level adjustment and you're probably an elf. You also have to write on your character sheet that you got poked by Corellon Larethian.

The +4 to confirm criticals isn't that big a deal (It never is, as often as they offer it), the doubled threat range is admittedly awesome. Fast Healing is also awesome, but I feel like it's an ability that feels a lot more awesome than it necessarily is. It will mostly just get you healed up between fights.

Perhaps Kord-Touched could use a shot in the arm, but I was already trying to give it as many bonuses to opposed checks as possible, since Kord loves competition. If you have an idea of how to boost it I'd be all ears. Obviously every template won't be ideal for every build (Although none of them should be useless, that's what I liked about Lolth-touched, ANYONE would be happy to have 6 more strength and con and an immunity), but +7 to the rolls that frequently trouble PCs seemed OK.

In all honesty, I jumped off these boards for awhile playing another game and I haven't caught up with everything I planned to work on before I left.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:36:26 AM by Bloody Initiate »