Author Topic: Backgrounds  (Read 1695 times)

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
Backgrounds
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
Hello all.

I will try to make this short.  To all the DMs/STs/GMs/MCs out there I am curious which background you prefer.  Now I know most who run games enjoy a character with a background that is detailed and has plenty of story line hooks to use.  What I am curious about is which of these background is prefered?

A background where the character has nothing bad happen to him/her, little drama or just raised normally in a quiet village.

A background where the character has nothing but bad stuff happen to him.her, orphaned or so horribly abused that how they survived is a miracle

A background that is a mix of the two.

Thanks in advance.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:14:34 PM »
I'd say the order for me is the mix, followed by the detail filled character and then the blank. Each has its own merits, but moderation is best.

High detail makes it easy to hook the character into a plot, or create points intersecting with the character. Too much makes the character feel 'fake' but how negative THAT is varies. Works best if you're coming up with a plot on the fly.

Blanks fit well into predefined plots. Generic Hero rescues standard issue princess, etc. They rarely have the unique snowflake syndrome, and in larger groups, can be easier to work with than the half dozen characters each with their unique styles and plot hooks.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:35:17 PM »
To me I prefer a background that allows my PCs to flesh out the character to whatever depth they want it to have. In my most recent campaign I had a player who had a two sentence backstory. "I am Rothario! I smite demons!" He was a Ranger/Paladin/Knight of Chalice who had favored enemy demon. It worked very well for him. I had another player who had a 4 page typed backstory for his psion detailing all of his characters various neurosi, and it ended up being one of his favorite characters, and honestly that player's most useful (for the party) character and the one he enjoyed the most.
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Novea

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »
From what I've experienced, the more a player puts into the background, the better. You might not want them to detail how they stole a particular lily out of the princess' private garden, but if that caused them to fall in love with said princess, go for it.  As a player and a DM, I've always created at least a 1 page typed backstory with TONS of loopholes for the DM to play with.  Including not giving them the last name XXXXX (fill in here) so the DM has the option of adjusting the character to fit the story plot.

For instance, I put in a cute story for my current character saying that she the only daughter born into a noble family with 7 brothers.  She was forced into learning to be like a lady (She was CN in a LG/LN household).  She never saw her father, so she started going into the town and learning to party / drink / etc.  She was forced to get engaged to Derrick XXXX (insert name here) which she fled from and become a cleric of the Lazy Drunkard (think Bacchus). 

From a 1 page desc, the DM made me the only daughter of the Crassus family which was the richest family in the empire and directly under the emperor himself.  And Derrick?  Oh... he was a noble that was possessed by a Demon, killed my character's true love then tried to kill her himself.  It's fun to let the DM fill in some portions of your backstory.  If you set certain things into your story without any leeway, it doesn't allow your DM to be creative & insert you into the story.  You may create a drunken high priestess who happens to be a noble with connections :)

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »
I make it very clear that I reward backstory. If your cleric was the high priest of a temple of Obad-Hai, people respect you, and provisions shouldn't be a problem for you in encounters with anyone halfway respectful of religion.

I find that when I include characters that are only off-handedly mentioned in the PC's backstory, the player feels special, like he is contributing to the plot, and he is interested in seeing what I interpret the character to be like.

In aswer to the OP, I prefer something along the middle. That is only in regards to experiences, though! I love detailed backstories, even if the character lived an uneventful life. Name-drops are my one true love.

I've had PCs I DMed have absolutely tortured backstories, and sometimes is stretches things a little; like, "How have you not flipped out and murdered everyone if your father lit your bed on fire if you fell asleep to keep you vigilant?"
Of course, that character did have an extremely short fuse, and his resulting brashness made for a lot of fun.

I do not dislike relatively tame characters, either, but a mix of the two is ideal. Either way, I want my players to provide oodles of details about their past!
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:23:25 PM »
I typically don't care much.  As long as the backstory is enough to give a plausible explanation for their existence in the world and is a viable concept for the campaign I'm running, I'm generally happy.  If I say "pirate campaign", then as long as the characters like to be on boats, that's all that matters ... lumberjack characters are quickly booted.
The thing is, if I'm running a game, it generally starts off "... the Adventure Begins", not "... the Adventure Continues".  Sure, it's nice to be able to tie plot to background, but it's not necessary.  If kick off things with "goblins invade village", then all need to know is that somebody in the group is from the invaded village.  Done.
Now, once things get rolling, then of course the story is going to revolve around the characters; but nobody else cares what your character did before you joined the party -- they just want to know about now.  If you need more than a couple of paragraphs to tell me about your character, then you should probably just go and write some short-story fiction or something.

but that's just my 2cp.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.