Author Topic: [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant: Pantheon, Spell Lists, Base Classes  (Read 8152 times)

unosarta

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant: Pantheon, Spell Lists, Base Classes
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »
Glad to see you got it up here too!

Ideas for more prestige classes: Demigod (or using this Demigod Bloodline), Acolyte of Medusa, etc.

HeadlessMermaid

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Lend me £10, I'll buy you a drink
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 03:41:09 AM »
Glad to see you got it up here too!

Ideas for more prestige classes: Demigod (or using this Demigod Bloodline), Acolyte of Medusa, etc.

Thanks! The Demigod Bloodlines are very nice (and I always hated the Bloodline mechanic), though they might need some tweaking with the Domain powers there. Feasible.

Acolyte of Medusa... I don't know. There are crunch options there, but flavor-wise, what would anyone have to do with a being like Medusa? You know, I'm hell-bent on avoiding anything that resembles "evil cult" or "demon worship" and the like. Basically, I'm avoiding a ton of D&D staples that aren't compatible with the mythology - as I understand it, at least.

Update log:
  • Added a slightly tweaked Brawler class, and now we have a wrestler base class. Yay!
  • Changed Athena's Brains Over Brawn granted power from "wisdom-based" to "may be wisdom-based". It dawned on me that the iconic Favored of Athena is Odysseus, whose Intelligence is pumped to the high heavens.
Listen, bud, if I had one Altairan dollar for every time I heard one bit of the Universe look at another bit of the Universe and say "That's terrible!", I wouldn't be sitting here like a LEMON, looking for a gin. But I haven't and I am.
---
Song of the Week: Meisce - When the guns have all been fired
Played on St Patrick's Day, after an overdose of the Wolfe Tones.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 04:36:25 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the Favored of the Deity mechanics. Are you effectively gestalting all such characters with full spellcasting and an awesome granted power? If so that's really depressing for characters that aren't Favored of the Deity. Such characters are often quite compelling, and yet they get NOTHING.

You're also going to have to really ramp up encounters and monsters, as the CR system wasn't designed for Wild Shaping Warblades with 9th level spells.

HeadlessMermaid

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 05:07:46 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the Favored of the Deity mechanics. Are you effectively gestalting all such characters with full spellcasting and an awesome granted power?
No no, spellcasting is available only to spellcasters. Favored characters who are NOT spellcasters get only one granted power, one bonus weapon/armor/shield proficiency and the Deity's class skills.

If so that's really depressing for characters that aren't Favored of the Deity. Such characters are often quite compelling, and yet they get NOTHING.
A very good point. My initial thought was to say that non-favored characters are gestalt characters, for the sake of balance. I didn't go for it in the end, for two reasons:
1) I want to encourage becoming Favored in game, at least at low levels. And this rule would make everything hopelessly complicated.
2) The whole point of being Favored is that you cheat, or rather that a god cheats for your sake.

That said, I want non-favored characters to be a valid option, too. When I finish this thing and start recruiting for a game, I'll certainly clarify the following:
1) Favored characters have enemies by default. If Zeus likes you, Hera hates you - good luck with that.
2) Non-favored characters won't be as gimped as it seems. There's a hidden mechanic that I'd prefer to keep, well, hidden. :)

You're also going to have to really ramp up encounters and monsters, as the CR system wasn't designed for Wild Shaping Warblades with 9th level spells.
Well, this is impossible - but wild shaping Warblades OR wild shaping full-casters are perfectly possible.
EDIT - Also, I ban Natural Spell in all my games. :-P

This system isn't for newbies DMs. The encounters will have to be eyeballed on a case by case basis, and not only because of Granted Powers. More crucially, even the most basic spells may or may NOT be available to the party, depending on what sort of Favored spellcasters are around. Simplest example: Fly is only available to Hermes and Zeus.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:16:24 AM by HeadlessMermaid »
Listen, bud, if I had one Altairan dollar for every time I heard one bit of the Universe look at another bit of the Universe and say "That's terrible!", I wouldn't be sitting here like a LEMON, looking for a gin. But I haven't and I am.
---

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 09:14:43 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the Favored of the Deity mechanics. Are you effectively gestalting all such characters with full spellcasting and an awesome granted power?
No no, spellcasting is available only to spellcasters. Favored characters who are NOT spellcasters get only one granted power, one bonus weapon/armor/shield proficiency and the Deity's class skills.

OH. Okay, well be sure to clarify that because as far as I could tell it just says that the Favored characters get all that stuff, with spell casting included in the list of stuff. So, let's say you're a Cleric, er, Spellcaster Favored of Artemis, you are only able to cast spells from the spell list granted to you by her? If so, I actually really like these rules.

EDIT: It appears that all of your links are broken.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:20:41 AM by bkdubs123 »

unosarta

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
The links are indeed broken. It seems that all of the classes you linked are currently archived, and the way you linked them is also weird. Just take out the quotation marks around the URL, and it might have worked, except that said threads have been archived. I dunno how to make it work now.

Except, in the GitP thread, it is working just fine, and the threads are not archived. That is weird.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 04:58:16 PM by unosarta »

HeadlessMermaid

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 05:13:53 PM »
So, let's say you're a Cleric, er, Spellcaster Favored of Artemis, you are only able to cast spells from the spell list granted to you by her? If so, I actually really like these rules.
Yeap, that's the idea. :)

I have no idea what happened with the links, but I'll fix it either tomorrow or very later today. Thanks for letting me know, people.
---

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 05:37:40 PM »
I did some homebrew hoiplite fighting feats if you are interested, in the link in my signature.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 06:29:12 AM »
Hmm, Disfavor mechanics might be interesting to see too.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."