Author Topic: Innate Spell (Theller's Argaunaeu)  (Read 7234 times)

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
Innate Spell (Theller's Argaunaeu)
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:07:00 AM »
Feats Needed: Eschew Materials, Silent Spell, Still Spell, Quicken Spell
Epic Feats Needed: Improved Spell Capacity x2, Ignore Material Components

The Feat [and Spell] of Focus: Innate Spell [Theller's Argauneau]

===== http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030226a =====

Theller's Argauneau
    Necromancy
    Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 full round
    Range: Touch
    Target: One red dragon egg
    Duration: Instantaneous or 1 hour/level (see text)
    Saving Throw: See text
    Spell Resistance: No (object)

You drain the life energy from a red dragon egg and absorb it into yourself, which may be used for several purposes.

Healing: Heal 5d6 points of damage as if a cure spell were cast on you. This has an instantaneous duration.

Ability Boost: +2 enhancement bonus to Strength, Constitution, and Charisma, lasting 1 hour per caster level.

Refresh Spell: Regain one cast spell or used spell slot of any level you can cast, similar to a pearl of power except that bards, sorcerers, and similar casters can also benefit from it. This has an instantaneous duration.

A dragon egg is treated as an object, not a creature, and it does not get a saving throw against the spell unless it is in the possession of a creature (and therefore uses the normal saving throw rules for objects in the possession of a creature). If you are not a creature of the type "dragon," you must succeed at a Fortitude saving throw (DC 14) when you cast this spell; failure means you gain no benefit from the spell, take 3d6 points of damage, and are nauseated for 1 round from the sudden influx of incompatible life energy.

Material Component: A red dragon egg containing a living red dragon embryo, worth 2,000 gp.

=======================================================

Previous Poll: Transcendant Spell (from Warcraft RPG: Magic and Mayhem 33)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:34:36 AM by Andion Isurand »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Innate Spell (Theller's Argaunaeu)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »
You're already in Epic, who cares? There are much bigger fish to fry then at will spells.

But more importantly, it's not as easy as you make it out to be. Ignore Material Components may ignore the focus but the Target line is still One red dragon egg. You still need to find one and the only way I can find how to is DM fiat.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
Looks like a prime SCM pick to me :)
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »
You're already in Epic, who cares? There are much bigger fish to fry then at will spells.

But more importantly, it's not as easy as you make it out to be. Ignore Material Components may ignore the focus but the Target line is still One red dragon egg. You still need to find one and the only way I can find how to is DM fiat.
Considering the material component line gives a market price, you can simply buy one.

Andion Isurand

• An Anomaly of The Art
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
Maybe if one were to obtain a small immature red dragon egg and dehydrate... shrivel... it down and preserve it via some alchemical process into a nice little nugget they could touch to satisfy the target line?

Perhaps carry a few just in case.

Since you ignore the material component line, it wouldn't have to contain a living embryo or be worth 2k gp.

Kell... SCM?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:16:20 PM by Andion Isurand »

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:06:27 PM »
Since you ignore the material component line, it wouldn't have to contain a living embryo or be worth 2k gp.

Also important, it isn't used up in casting the spell either.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
Considering the material component line gives a market price, you can simply buy one.
... :banghead :blush I feel stupid.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »
Maybe if one were to obtain a small immature red dragon egg and dehydrate... shrivel... it down and preserve it via some alchemical process into a nice little nugget they could touch to satisfy the target line?

Perhaps carry a few just in case.

Kell... SCM?

Shadowcraft Mage.  Emulate Limited Wish.  Laugh as it ignores requirements.  Replenish with one of many methods.  Never run out of spell slots :)  Hell, Echo-Repeat it, then replenish it!
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Andion Isurand

• An Anomaly of The Art
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »
How do you emulate Limited Wish in this case?

Many methods..  What other replenish methods do you know of that cover all spell levels, aside from Thought Bottle?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:50:57 PM by Andion Isurand »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
How do you emulate Limited Wish in this case?

Many methods..  What other replenish methods do you know of that cover all spell levels, aside from Thought Bottle?

Bleh, still used to LW being Evocation.  Emulate Miracle instead :P

And as for replenishing, there's the Rary's Lube method, Miser with Magic, Chaotic Spell Recall (combined with making all spells carry the Chaotic descriptor with an ACF), plenty of ways.  Also, since an SCM can throw a miracle out of like a 4th level slot if they're build for it, you can use Rary's twinned to replenish itself and this spell, netting a slot of whatever level.  That's just using this one spell, and not counting the kind of chain you can create with GAF/AF.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »
Step 0 --- Erudite StP learns spell at local magic mart
Step 1 --- PAO into a dragon type
Step 2 --- ditches the whole M component for a mere +1 LA equivalent
Step 3 --- Custom Item of at-will Theller's Argauneau (did I spell it right?)

Hello Borkny Kitty

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
Step 0 --- Erudite StP learns spell at local magic mart
Step 1 --- PAO into a dragon type
Step 2 --- ditches the whole M component for a mere +1 LA equivalent
Step 3 --- Custom Item of at-will Theller's Argauneau (did I spell it right?)

Hello Borkny Kitty

Well I was avoiding my whipping boy go-to the StP Erudite, but that pwns face even harder (as everything Erudite does) :)
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Andion Isurand

• An Anomaly of The Art
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »
Man, too bad only gnomes can have all that fun emulating miracles with shadow illusions...

...if you added the Node Spellcasting and Metanode feats.... you could emulate Node Genesis when you are capable of getting a CL of 30 to create a class 6 earth node, and use those feats with Persistant Spell to persist all those emulated miracles emulating eligible spells when you start your day in the earth node... plus they'd be auto extended thanks to the SCM abilities... so they'd all last 48 hours.

Then of course Tenacious Magic (silent image) as an epic feat.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:21:42 PM by Andion Isurand »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 10:46:43 PM »
Man, too bad only gnomes can have all that fun emulating miracles with shadow illusions...

...if you added the Node Spellcasting and Metanode feats.... you could emulate Node Genesis when you are capable of getting a CL of 30 to create a class 6 earth node, and use those feats with Persistant Spell to persist all those emulated miracles emulating eligible spells when you start your day in the earth node... plus they'd be auto extended thanks to the SCM abilities... so they'd all last 48 hours.

Then of course Tenacious Magic (silent image) as an epic feat.

First off, SCM adaptation doesn't require Gnome for race, and secondly, Node Genesis means CL=arbitrary, as you can boost your CL, cast it, then cast it again with the higher CL, and repeat ad nauseum.  Given a long enough time frame, any CL you want and any number of simultaneous metamagicks you want can be brought to bear.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Andion Isurand

• An Anomaly of The Art
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 07:15:55 AM »
well, I'm glad I said something or else I would overlooked the adaptation part by habit... again... :bigeye thanks

so now...

CL 30 for class 6 node - each layer 50 ft thick - 600 ft diamater
CL 42 for class 7 node - each layer 60 ft thick - 840 ft diamater
CL 56 for class 8 node - each layer 70 ft thick - 1120 ft diamater
CL 72 for class 9 node - each layer 80 ft thick - 1440 ft diamater
CL 90 for class 10 node - each layer 90 ft thick - 1800 ft diamater
CL 110 for class 11 node - each layer 100 ft thick - 2200 ft diamater

with a base CL of 22 when casting heightened earth spell [silent image -> node genesis] for +8 CL (+8 slots) = 30 CL
then using the created class 6 earth node to add +6 CL = 36 CL

with a base CL of 40 (circle magic) when casting heightened earth spell [silent image -> node genesis] for +8 (+8 slots) = 48 CL
then using the created class 7 earth node to add +7 CL = 55 CL

now, depending on how you read earth spell, it may or may not lead to an infinite climb on its own

if you get the benefit for for slots costs waived by circle magic or (metanode spell +Improved Hieghten Spell) then yeah
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:11:41 PM by Andion Isurand »

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »
Get a bunch of kobolds, paint them red, give them some eggs. Those eggs are now a red dragon's egg. Use the spell on that.

Problem D&D?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »

Also important, it isn't used up in casting the spell either.

Also a good point.  Twin this thing all you want.  Also works for Cheaters of Mystra, who can make it a Mantle spell and cast it Twinned Spontaneously whenever they want to autoreplenish their slots.  Well worth 2k gold IMO, when it's reusable :P
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Andion Isurand

• An Anomaly of The Art
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 02:54:49 AM »
Is it possible for Miracle to emulate a twinned Theller's Argaunaeu as if it were a 7th level spell?

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 03:41:37 AM »
You have come this far, why not add in greater planar binding.  Greater Planar binding can allow you to control an outsider with up to 18 HD.  An outsider of choice would be a Tulani from the Book of Exalted deeds page 171.  Task him with the job of casting polymorph any object on chicken eggs.  Now you do not need a material component for your innate spell, so you don't have to worry about various spells descriptions that say you cannot use the results of the spell for components.  All you need is a target for the spell.  Well a chick egg should at least score a 5 on the polymorph any object scale, maybe 7, for the transformation into a dragon egg.  The spell works on living subjects, or can make living things from inanimate objects, so you should be able to make a red dragon egg no problem.  Then just target the dragon egg for your innate spell.  Chicken eggs have to be cheaper than dragon eggs, but you could even use pebbles or anything else on hand (dying enemies  :lmao ) if you are not worried about the duration.  Most likely your trick would not be the best in combat anyway, you probably have bigger problems.

Of course other sources of polymorph any object could also work, but this seemed the cheapest means to get access to unlimited uses of the spell.  Maybe other outsiders might also have this spell, or you could make a unlimited use custom item if you had sufficient epic funds.  A Tulani with a chef's hat making giant omlets is nothing to laugh at though.

Andion Isurand

• An Anomaly of The Art
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 04:02:37 AM »
Well, if you had a means of twinning it and ignoring the component, it could refresh its own slot plus one other without the need for Innate Spell.

So if you could miracle (or silent image -> miracle) a twinned version of the Theller's Argauneau, you could refresh the miracle itself and another spell of your choosing.

This would allow you to ignore the component and bypass the need for the Innate Spell feat.

==================================================

But yeah, whatever constitutes an eligible target for the target portion of the spell... of course a shrunken/treated/preserved version of the real thing would be more flavorful.

For some reason, despite all the other things being done here, PAO tricks don't feel right to me for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:44:55 AM by Andion Isurand »