Author Topic: Transcendant Spell (from Warcraft RPG: Magic and Mayhem 33)  (Read 3355 times)

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
Transcendant Spell (from Warcraft RPG: Magic and Mayhem 33)
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:38:38 PM »
Transcendent Spell [Metamagic]

Your spells can go beyond normal limits.

Benefit: A transcendent spell is has no maximum value based on caster level. A transcendent magic missile can create more than five missiles, a transcendent frost nova can inflict more than 10d6 points of damage and a transcendent healing light can heal more than 2d8+10 points of damage.

A transcendent spell takes up a spell slot seven levels higher than normal.

Previous Poll: Permanent Emanation epic feat + Replicate Casting spell + Permanency spell

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Transcendant Spell (from Warcraft RPG: Magic and Mayhem 33)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
It definitely ain't worth +7 slot levels.  It might be worth 2, assuming your CL is otherwise reasonable.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Zemyla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Rampant Changeling Fetishist
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:00:47 AM »
The only spell I'd put it on is Consumptive Field.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 01:13:12 AM »
+7 is laughably terribly retardedly stupid.

Especially when Reserves of Strength exists.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 01:36:24 AM »

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 01:36:40 AM »
+7 is laughably terribly retardedly stupid.

Especially when Reserves of Strength exists.

Reserves of Strength certainly make this feat look weak if you go with the unlimited cap interrupation (which is definately how it reads, probably not intended).

Now if you are stuck with campaign specific books, then it is different.  The only characters what will use the feat are ones that figured out how to reduce or negate the +7 level bump.  And obviously if they went to all that trouble they are going to use it for really powerful things (consumptive field is wrong, bad Zemyla).  I still don't think it could be as powerful as persistent spell since you cannot use it to buff all day, but you can work out some uses i am sure.

I would allow it just to see what happens.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 01:41:03 AM »
What's wrong with slapping this on Consumptive Field and then boiling an anthill? Or twelve?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:43:22 AM »
What's wrong with slapping this on Consumptive Field and then boiling an anthill? Or twelve?
Only awesome if you have more free metamagic up your sleeve to apply your newfound absurd CL something usable.  Like Divine Favor, Conviction, and Barkskin.  Who said AC was underpowered?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 01:46:18 AM »
Only awesome if you have more free metamagic up your sleeve to apply your newfound absurd CL something usable.  Like Divine Favor, Conviction, and Barkskin.  Who said AC was underpowered?
Or stuff that was uncapped in the first place.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 02:00:30 AM »
Of course it's powerful with metamagic reducers. It's a game winner with them for the same reason Reserves of Strength is. It's not weak, it's extremely strong and stupid.

It's similar to that +8 Metamagic in Kalamar that removes saves from spells. It sure is strong but it's fucking idiotic and the author should feel bad.

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 02:25:12 AM »
As far as the no save metamagic feat goes, I believe this site's metamagic handbook said it was +4 slots... but that the errata changed it so it adds a +10 bonus to the save DC.  It's still a feat I tend to ignore in my considerations.

So how would you change Transcendent Spell feat to make it suitable for consideration?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:30:09 AM by Andion Isurand »

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 02:27:15 AM »
Of course it's powerful with metamagic reducers. It's a game winner with them for the same reason Reserves of Strength is. It's not weak, it's extremely strong and stupid.

It's similar to that +8 Metamagic in Kalamar that removes saves from spells. It sure is strong but it's fucking idiotic and the author should feel bad.

Oddly enough, I kind of agree with this sentiment.

It's like there's no middle ground with this feat.  It's basically pointless without metamagic feat reducers (a 9th level spell slot for uncapped Burning Hands damage?  come on now...), and completely broken with them (Cold Snap... I'll let the physics majors explain what happens when ambient temperature drops immediately from 100 degrees to -20 degrees F).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:02:48 AM by Tonymitsu »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 02:43:48 AM »
I would reduce the adjustment considerably, and make it only double the cap.

Then I would allow it.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 03:03:10 AM »
Only allow it to function on damage caps. Uncapping buffs and the Polymorph line gets WAY out of hand. And limit CL to your HD when uncapping it. Sell it as a +1.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 12:40:46 AM »
I would reduce the adjustment considerably, and make it only double the cap.

Then I would allow it.

I agree 7 is alot, but Enhance spell is epic and a +4.  And Enhance spell does not even double high level spells.  It is stuck at that adjustment range where you can only use it if you figure out how to get it for free.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 04:45:27 AM »

+4, and it got errata'd to only add +10 to the DC.

(This has been a Corrective Service Announcement brought to you by the Metamagic Guide)
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 10:26:24 AM »
I know there was errata and it's not important to my point. This is a bad metamagic feat just like that one was, not because it's too strong or too weak, but because it's fucking retarded. And it's too strong, but that's tangential to it's terribleness.

If you want to make a CL limit breaker feat, make it only apply to damage and cap it higher, don't remove the cap. Even raising the cap of Alter Self or Polymorph by 3 using the liberal interpretation of Reserves of Strength is so strong there is no reason not to take it. And using it on certain buff spells lets you totally remove yourself from the RNG.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:28:37 AM by bearsarebrown »