Author Topic: A question about Warchanter's double bardic music ability.  (Read 1617 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
A question about Warchanter's double bardic music ability.
« on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:13 AM »
Namely, can two different groups of people be designated as allies for the purpose of the effects?

In other words, can I pull of the Icy Heart Bard (my name for the combo that puts Explosive Spell on Inspire Courage) on one group of people, while affecting a different group with Dragonfire Inspiration?

Because if so, I will feel the necessity to build this character. Possibly with a Pact Primordial to get the slots for an Innate Spell (Explosive Born of the 3 Thunders Sonic Substituted Flash Frost Snowcasted Inspirational Boost).

Thanks to the Pact Primordial netting you a single slot of any level you want...

Would require a shitload of feats. Ah well, I can retrain all of that metamagic to useful stuff after I Innate the spell.

Hmm...

A Silverbrow Human Eberron Bard with 2 flaws (and no morals), could nab all of the above at 6th level, including the Innate Spell, and still have Dragonfire Inspiration (replace countersong with it, seriously); with the right instrument, that is up at +3d6 cold? damage for my allies. and with feat retraining, I can knock that up to 4d6 at 7th, nab a Helm of Opposite Alignment, and grab Words of Creation at 8th (retraining again), so that I can finally get it up to a respectable +7d6 cold? damage.

And anyone who annoys me gets pasted against a wall somewhere out of earshot. And I'll yell that part of the song.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: A question about Warchanter's double bardic music ability.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:24:34 AM »
There are... SO many problems here...

1) Inspirational Boost can't be Sonic Substituted because you can't use the Energy Substitution feat to change something to sonic damage.  Fire, Cold, Lightning, and Acid only.

2) Explosive Spell can't be applied to Inspirational Boost because Inspirational Boost doesn't affect an area, it's a personal spell.

3) Explosive Spell can't be applied directly to Inspire Courage, because Inspire Courage is a Supernatural ability that targets allies.  Earshot is the range of the ability, not the area of effect.  If you want a spell analogue, think Haste, not Fireball.

4) You can't apply metamagic to a spell prior to making it into an Innate Spell (with the possible exception of Wu-Jen or Spirit Shamans, but even then it's only arguable), nevermind Snowcasting.

5) RAW, Innate Spell turns Inspirational Boost to a standard action, which means you'll also need to pre-cast Harmonize or you can't do any of this at all.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
I got this from looking through the Dirty Tricks thread. So any problems (except the Substitution one and the Innate Spell ones) are my own blunder.

But my question is still legitimate; can two different groups be designated? Fascinate one group, while using Inspire Awe (let's say) on another group?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:12:12 AM »
I see nothing wrong with targeting different groups with concurrent songs.  Ask for another's opinion too.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 05:50:03 AM »
Yeah, I'd probably have to agree on that point (and just that point).  If you couldn't target two separate groups with separate bardic music uses, then it would state that in the Combine Songs ability.

That said, the fundamental idea has fundamental problems.