Author Topic: CR Appropriate encounters Arena.  (Read 36266 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: CR Appropriate encounters Arena.
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Divine prankster sounds gnomish, so I'm guessing races of stone.

I was under the impression you hadn't decided what level range to look at.  I've been ill and buried in research, so I haven't really had time to stat up a party.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
How is magic/psionics transparency? Can I use metamagic rods as a psion, orange ioun stones, and so on?

Orange Ioun Stone yes. Metamagic rods, no, because Psionic Meta is different.

Divine prankster sounds gnomish, so I'm guessing races of stone.

I was under the impression you hadn't decided what level range to look at.  I've been ill and buried in research, so I haven't really had time to stat up a party.

I said whatever level you submit, but made clear that I am much less accommodating to level 15 or especially 17 and up parties, than I am of levels people actually play (5-13). (In the sense that I am much less well prepared with encounters, and such).

You can have Archmages if you want, but you know.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:55:14 PM by Kaelik »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
That's why I wasn't so concerned about what to top off the Cleric build with (probably Earth Dreamer).  Honestly, I expect the last few levels of the FB and Swiftblade builds to get chopped off, too.

By the way, the Swiftblade build uses Precise Strike from Dragon #310.  By my reading, that feat is effective against targets immune to Sneak Attack damage.  It also uses the Illusion Mastery ACF from UA.

As for the Shadowcraft Mage, I don't anticipate it using DMM at all.  It has enough uses for it's turn attempts using feats like Domain Spontaneity and a Divine Trickster ability that boosts the Save Disbelief on Figments by 10.  That said, it will likely have Heighten Spell, and probably even Earth Spell, but there won't be any Shadow Miracle shenanigans until 17th level.

The Kobold sacrifices a level of Wizard progression in order to get more low level spells, a higher CL, and some free Metamagic.  As far as I can tell, Archmage is just the natural cap to that.

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2011, 03:07:09 AM »
I would be interested in making a party of 4 Wizard 5/Red Wizard 5. This has the benefit of being simple, core, and powerful. Since you prefer the 1-13 level range I will make them 10th level provided you are willing to let them take leadership for circle magic. If you are not willing to either let me do that (or have other minions contributing spell slots) then I will make them level 13 and use simulacrums.

I plan on using core, the completes, the spell compendium, the magic item compendium, and the stronghold builder's handbook.

One thing that I am specifically not going to do is manipulate my spell slots with circle magic and heighten magic so that I get more spells per day/a bunch of high level spells.

I do plan on using circle magic to give myself a huge CL boost and apply metamagic to some of my spells.

Provided that you have no objections I would be ready and available on Saturday to do this.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:08:49 AM by Daniel678 »

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
No, I hate you, go die in a fire.

What the hell is your people's problem? The solution is not to find every single thing that would be banned from a game, and then compare it against my list, and then only do things that are not on my ban list, but would definitely be banned.

Seriously, I make a ban list, and every single fucking post I have to add to it. First Tainted Scholar isn't on it, so someone wants to play that, then Beholder Mage, now Circle Magic.

No, you can't use Circle Magic.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2011, 12:26:14 PM »
Whiny bitchyness, your name is Kaelic.

Anyone remembre when these boards were cool? Before Treantmonk changed system, before Sunic decided to become arrogantinsolent and call everyone a fuckwit? Before Kaelic was whiny? Kuro is still ok, thank god.

Also I don't like Amechra or w/e his name is.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2011, 12:31:52 PM »

Anyone remembre when these boards were cool? Before Treantmonk changed system, before Sunic decided to become arrogantinsolent and call everyone a fuckwit? Before Kaelic was whiny? Kuro is still ok, thank god.

Um? Are you kidding? I have posted on these boards more time in the last month than in the two years preceding it. Also, learn to spell. Or hell, copy paste.

Daniel678

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
No, the solution is to either make a good ban list or give us a better idea of what would be allowed. Providing vague guidelines and unspoken boundaries and then going into a rage whenever anyone crosses the boundaries is very rude. If you want to continue this challenge I suggest banning all spellcasting PRCs rated +2, +1, +0  since a lot of the classes there are stronger than Red Wizards which are rated +0.

Even if you hate the tier system it should give you an idea of what is strong and that you might want to ban.

Here is the tier system for PrCs for your convenience.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5198.msg173089#msg173089

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:55:11 PM by Daniel678 »

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2011, 01:01:11 PM »
What did I spell incorrectly?

Anyhow, if you want I can make a party of un-optimised of 4 fighters, would you like that?What kind of stuff should I expect? Are they of CR= to level or did you make adjustments for stuff that really hard or easy for the CR? Is Half-Minotaur/Hlaf-Ogre template and Dungeon Crasher allowed? And the Knockback feat from Race of Stones? You see what I'm planning?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:04:56 PM by TheEndIsNear »

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
No, the solution is to either make a good ban list or give us a better idea of what would be allowed. Providing vague guidelines and unspoken boundaries and then going into a rage whenever anyone crosses the boundaries is very rude. If you want to continue this challenge I suggest banning all spellcasting PRCs rated +2, +1, +0  since a lot of the classes there are stronger than Red Wizards which are rated +0.

Even if you hate the tier system it should give you an idea of what is strong and that you might want to ban.

Here is the tier system for PrCs for your convenience.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5198.msg173089#msg173089

No, the Tier system would not give me an idea of what is strong, because the Tier system doesn't know what is strong. Literally nothing in Complete Arcane is a problem, but Circle Magic instantly negates any semblance of a game. I banned the things that need to be banned, and if someone wants to have an IotSFV or a Fatespinner, or a MotAO, that's fine.

But for starters, if Leadership is on the banned list, and someone says "Hey, I have this bullshit ability that allows me to turn a bunch of level 5 characters into a single level 20 character, can you unban leadership just so that I can do that?" Then yes, that's fucking retarded, and I get to get upset about it.

Phaenix

« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »

Kaelik may be a dickhole, but this is his thread, so coming in here and whining about how the boards aren't cool anymore is inappropriate. If you want to call out people you hate on the forum, use Bitch like you have to!

That's not to say I disagree with your assessment.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
I came here to ask him for help and maybe try out. I just saw this and commented as well as getting distracted...

WarlockLord

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
Hi all, lurker delurking for this one.

I figure I'll throw in a level 10 party, if that is alright with you.  

Deep Imaskari Wizard5/Anima Mage 5(using the Bind Vestige/Improved Bind Vestige), if this isn't bannable
Human Psion (telepath) 5/anarchic initiate 5
Human Psychic Warrior 10 (sure, I could do a goliath ubercharger, but thats boring).
Human Cleric 2/Warlock 1/Master of Shrouds 7.

These alright with you Kaelik?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:09 PM »
Yeah, I'm not touching this debacle. People are asking if these things are okay, Kaelic, and you're pitching a fit about it.

Screw the trolls rules. I've got self-respect money.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Bester

• Email
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2011, 07:31:59 PM »
He just needs to increase his ban list, no biggie.  I have at least 2 full pages of bans and house rules.  At least do the vanilla test with fighter, wizard, cleric, rogue as a baseline to see where this is going.  Leadership, which seems to be a contention is flat out always banned in my games (which are E6 pathfinder so you couldn't take it anyway).  Everybody would be STUPID not to take leadership + artificer cohort (I get to have my cake and eat it too! STFU DM!)

In actual, IRL play, I find that players lose interest in fighter/rogue/mundane fairly quickly.  That is the biggest failing of those classes.  That, and they tend to get in the way.  I still contend that in order to run a real test, you would need a second brain running the different classes.  How many times has your BSF run into the thick of things?

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
Hi all, lurker delurking for this one.

I figure I'll throw in a level 10 party, if that is alright with you.  

Deep Imaskari Wizard5/Anima Mage 5(using the Bind Vestige/Improved Bind Vestige), if this isn't bannable
Human Psion (telepath) 5/anarchic initiate 5
Human Psychic Warrior 10 (sure, I could do a goliath ubercharger, but thats boring).
Human Cleric 2/Warlock 1/Master of Shrouds 7.

These alright with you Kaelik?

Everything except Master of Shrouds. There is literally no way for me to prevent you from having an infinite army of incorporeal undead if you take that class, so it falls under ban 13.

No, the solution is to either make a good ban list or give us a better idea of what would be allowed.

I did do that, I have no idea why you guys can't extrapolate from "getting CL 200 is banned, so is getting tons of free metamagic" to "getting CL 200 and tons of free metamagic is banned."

Everything is fine except Master of Shrouds. There is literally no way for me to prevent you from having an infinite undead army if you take that class, so it falls under ban 13.

Leadership, which seems to be a contention is flat out always banned in my games

No, I specifically banned it, people just want me to specifically unban it so they can use Circle Magic to cast CL 200 spells with free metamagic.

Yeah, I'm not touching this debacle. People are asking if these things are okay, Kaelic, and you're pitching a fit about it.

Okay, now I'm genuinely curious, are you fourteen or illiterate?

I've started to notice that a very large portion of BG is either fourteen or illiterate, and it's very odd, like there is something I'm missing, where BG has been putting up fliers in high schools or something.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:58:27 AM by Kaelik »

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »
So which one are you?

And you haven't answered my questions:

Copy PASTA!

Anyhow, if you want I can make a party of un-optimised of 4 fighters, would you like that?What kind of stuff should I expect? Are they of CR= to level or did you make adjustments for stuff that really hard or easy for the CR? Is Half-Minotaur/Hlaf-Ogre template and Dungeon Crasher allowed? And the Knockback feat from Race of Stones? You see what I'm planning?

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2011, 10:29:39 AM »
So which one are you?

I'm not incompetently misspelling things and/or purposefully doing it because I think it makes me cool. So neither.

Which Half Ogre, pretty sure there are like three of those. Half Minotaur falls under 14. Which I assume means you are going to whine about how I'm banning everything.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2011, 10:30:13 AM »
My question is how you are planning not to optimize four fighters with the Half-Minotaur, Half-Ogre templates and Dungeoncrasher features... because that seems like it might be a bit tricky.  :p Though looking back it looks like you might have meant the party was unoptimized...

I don't exactly have anything to prove about CR-appropriate encounters, or know what exactly you guys or Kaelik are trying to prove, but if I were to make a party for my personal use right now it would probably be Shaper, Warblade, Beguiler, Cloistered Cleric.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »
So which one are you?

I'm not incompetently misspelling things and/or purposefully doing it because I think it makes me cool. So neither.
And to which misspellings on Lycanthromancer's part were you referring?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.