Author Topic: The Equivalent Bonuses list  (Read 11476 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: The Equivalent Bonuses list
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
Hang on a sec:

+1 enhancement bonus = +1d6 damage (or +2d6 situationally, +1d6 and extra damage to both parties, etc.)
+1 attack, +1 damage = +1d6 damage
+1 attack, +1 damage = 3.5 damage
+1 attack = 2.5 damage

Man, Power Attack sucks. :smirk Nah, this has the risk of a low roll (see the On Dice section), so it evens out.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 11:43:48 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 03:04:12 PM »
AC bonuses are as follows, based on Untyped bonuses:

Dodge: 4:1
Enhancement: 2:1
Sacred (or Profane): 3:1
Natural Armor: 2:1
Deflection: 3:1
Armor: 2:1
Shield: 3:1
Insight: 4:1

Am I missing something?
I don't get this. Shield, Natural and Armour don't go into touch AC, which degrades their value. But all three can be enhanced with individual enhancement bonuses. Deflection, Sacred/Profane and Insight always work against everything, unless they are "an xxxx bonus to Shield AC" for instance. They are clearly more valuable. Enhancement is the least valuable - it's only good because you can enhance so many things with it (AC, Armor, Shield, Natural).

So I think you've got all the ratios the wrong way around. One point of un-typed is worth two points of Insight or Sacred/Profane or four points of enhancement, etc.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 05:46:11 PM »
AC bonuses are as follows, based on Untyped bonuses:

Dodge: 4:1
Enhancement: 2:1
Sacred (or Profane): 3:1
Natural Armor: 2:1
Deflection: 3:1
Armor: 2:1
Shield: 3:1
Insight: 4:1

Am I missing something?
I don't get this. Shield, Natural and Armour don't go into touch AC, which degrades their value. But all three can be enhanced with individual enhancement bonuses. Deflection, Sacred/Profane and Insight always work against everything, unless they are "an xxxx bonus to Shield AC" for instance. They are clearly more valuable. Enhancement is the least valuable - it's only good because you can enhance so many things with it (AC, Armor, Shield, Natural).

So I think you've got all the ratios the wrong way around. One point of un-typed is worth two points of Insight or Sacred/Profane or four points of enhancement, etc.

Its that Shield, Armor, and Natural bonuses to AC are somewhat easier to come by, thus worth less when converted to another bonus type. Remember that my little guide is changing the bonus listed before the ratio into an untyped bonus. Thus, 2 points of natural armor are worth a +1 untyped bonus to AC, and vice versa.

As to the Sacred or Profane, those are somewhat easy to find (just look in CC for a list of decent choices). They usually have a reqirement attached, such as a code of conduct, which makes them worth a little less because it is easier to lose them. Whereas Armor and Shield bonuses can be taken outright, one wrong step and you are denied your Sacred or Profane bonus until you recieve an Attonement spell.

Basically, the chart is based on how common the bonuses show themselves. Dodge bonuses are in a number of sources. Enhancements are easily obtained, but there is a limit to them. Very little can boost a Deflection bonus, and because it is more potent than most bonuses it is harder to convert into an untyped bonus.

But if you go the other way (Untyped to typed) the chart doesn't actually reverse. I need time to work it out, but the process of going from untyped to typed should be more accurate.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 08:35:25 PM »

Its that Shield, Armor, and Natural bonuses to AC are somewhat easier to come by, thus worth less when converted to another bonus type. Remember that my little guide is changing the bonus listed before the ratio into an untyped bonus. Thus, 2 points of natural armor are worth a +1 untyped bonus to AC, and vice versa.

As to the Sacred or Profane, those are somewhat easy to find (just look in CC for a list of decent choices). They usually have a reqirement attached, such as a code of conduct, which makes them worth a little less because it is easier to lose them. Whereas Armor and Shield bonuses can be taken outright, one wrong step and you are denied your Sacred or Profane bonus until you recieve an Attonement spell.

Basically, the chart is based on how common the bonuses show themselves. Dodge bonuses are in a number of sources. Enhancements are easily obtained, but there is a limit to them. Very little can boost a Deflection bonus, and because it is more potent than most bonuses it is harder to convert into an untyped bonus.

But if you go the other way (Untyped to typed) the chart doesn't actually reverse. I need time to work it out, but the process of going from untyped to typed should be more accurate.
Ok maybe I made the mistake of comparing the bonuses when you enchant them to items. There nothing can take away your sacred or profane bonuses - and AFAIK you could even have both. The same with spell effects.
Class features are of course different.