Author Topic: Fighter/Wizard gish, am I doing it right?  (Read 7194 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Fighter/Wizard gish, am I doing it right?
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »
With that many martial characters, a god-style wizard/war weaver would be perfect. Buff everyone in the group with 4 spells as a move action? Whoo!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 07:17:02 PM »
Also if you're dead set on melee pwnage, somewhere I have an incarnation of a full blown Hood-GOD hybrid.  Over 1k damage per hit, full metamagic support (complete with celerity chains, Persist, and Quicken tech), and the usual playing chess with the enemies while turning all the grunts into unstoppable killing machines (who you can ironically also one-shot without even bothering to drop the buffs you gave them, how's THAT for a power trip?).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 07:32:40 PM »
Also if you're dead set on melee pwnage, somewhere I have an incarnation of a full blown Hood-GOD hybrid.  Over 1k damage per hit, full metamagic support (complete with celerity chains, Persist, and Quicken tech), and the usual playing chess with the enemies while turning all the grunts into unstoppable killing machines (who you can ironically also one-shot without even bothering to drop the buffs you gave them, how's THAT for a power trip?).
If the OP doesn't want to see that, I do!

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »
You could build a Hood as such:

Dragonborn Fire Elf WhirlPounce Barbarian1/Martial Transmuter3/War Weaver5/Incantatrix4/Abjurant Champion5/Spellsword1/Dragonslayer1

1: {Aggressive}, {Quick}
1: {Murky-Eyed}, {Shaky}
1: [Literacy - Pay 2 skill points], [Pounce], [Whirling Frenzy]
1: Battle Jump, Enlarge Spell, Leap of the Heavens
2: [Improved Initiative OR Fighter Bonus Feat], [Hummingbird Familiar], [Oppose Enchantment and Necromancy]
3: [Iron Will from Otyugh Hole (Complete Scoundrel 151)], Sanctum Spell

Notes
From here, just meet feat prereqs.  I recommend Practiced Spellcaster.

Pre-Incantatrix, add to your repertoire all the Illusion spells you plan to use (simulacrum, project image, greater mirror image (Player's Handbook II 120), mirror image, displacement, major image, and silent image) then oppose Illusion.

Alternatively, go Transmuter5 and take Domain Granted Power: Travel (Complete Champion 52) for an automatic 5 rounds of freedom of movement each day.  Handy only if your DM uses lots of movement stoppers and battlefield control effects.

War Weaver Handbook - Black Tactica Edition
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:40:13 PM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
A limited form of Freedom of movement, to be precise.

Handy Links

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 10:47:33 PM »
How limited is "5 rounds of freedom of movement, automatically activated when you need it?"

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:51 PM »
Sorry, I was under the impression it was identical to the power Clerics get from Travel domain. My bad.

Handy Links

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »
Tshern: Domain Granted Power works exactly as if I were a Cleric of equal level.  The Travel Domain's freedom of movement is quite spiffy, but had you considered something else?

Speaking of which:

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 11:01:43 PM »
I meant it is limited in the sense that it only applies to magical effects that hinders your movement. That is excellent, there is no question about it, but it is not quite the same as Freedom of movement.

As a back-up plan, does Heart of water not give a Freedom of movement effect when discharged?

Handy Links

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 12:32:18 AM »
As a back-up plan, does Heart of water not give a Freedom of movement effect when discharged?
It does.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »
The DM has advised us to make characters that can exist in a vacuum, possibly because he plans to split the party at some point, so a dedicated support caster is probably risky business. Also, I have this irresistible urge to split skulls with heavy yet sharp objects.

Also, there is a few new restrictions in this campaign: No online stuff (IE no Swiftblade), no flaws, and all prereqs must be met with intristic abilities (IE feats and abilities gained from items does not count, so no Otygh Hole).

Updated build:
-1: Conjurer 1 Feat (Power Attack), bonus feat (Improved Initiative)
-2: Conjurer 2
-3: Conjurer 3 Feat (Knowledge Devotion)
-4: Conjurer 4
-5: Conjurer 5 Bonus feat (Improved Sunder)
-6: Warblade 1 Feat (Combat Brute),
-7: Jade Phoenix Mage 1
-8: Jade Phoenix Mage 2
-9: Jade Phoenix Mage 3 Feat (Combat Casting)
-10: Jade Phoenix Mage 4
-11: Jade Phoenix Mage 5
-12: Abjurant Champion 1 Feat (Leap Attack)
-13: Abjurant Champion 2
-14: Abjurant Champion 3
-15: Abjurant Champion 4 Feat (***Open***)
-16: Abjurant Champion 5
-17: Sacred Excorcist 1
-18: Sacred Excorcist 2 Feat (***Open***)
-19: Sacred Excorcist 3
-20: Sacred Excorcist 4

And as far as races go, this is what I have:

Minotaur:
Stats: 18/9/14/15/8/6 or 18/6/14/16/8/6 (+4 str, -2 dex, int, cha)
Noticable abilities: Gore attack, +2 natural armor, monsterous humanoid type.

And you recommend me to swap it for:

Human:
Stats: 14/14/14/16/8/8
Noticable abilities: Bonus feat at 1st level, +1 skill point/level?

nightshade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 09:56:50 AM »
I'd definately go with human. The hit to dex and Int is simply inferior as your main damage will come through spells. And take arcane strike as early as possible (swap something with the human extra feat).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:04:22 AM by nightshade »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
I'd definately go with human. The hit to dex and Int is simply inferior as your main damage will come through spells. And take arcane strike as early as possible (swap something with the human extra feat).
I'd take it as late as possible. Like around the time you get Time Stands Still (assuming you do).

Since you use strikes, thus one attack, you could at worst expend a 9th level spell for +9d4 damage. Arcane Strike in all regards is exactly like Sneak Attack, the more attacks you have the better. And if you don't have enough, forget it and use something better.

Like charging, which I see you already have in mind. There is some debate in whether or not you can use Leap Attack while riding a mounted, personally who cares. Simply using a +X Valorous Lance would add another multiplier to all the damage rather than just the power attack amount on top of not eating a feat slot. Of course, I bring this up because you have two open feat slots. Mounted Combat & Ride-By Attack come to mind. Spirited Charge is another total damage multiplier and can be further enhanced with Riding Boots(DMGII, 12,000gp) giving you an x5 to damage. Of course, charge damage can quickly out scale everything and does become overkill and I don't really think you need that much. Just presenting an option. My main line of thought isn't Arcane Strike ASAP given you are THF not TWF & charging / strikes not full attacking.

As for your other feat slot. Minor Shapeshift, reserve feat, comes to mind. As a swift action you can give your self +5 to speed or +2 to damage or +(your HD amount) in temp hp. Considering you charge (double speed) and probably plan to use a valorous weapon (double damage) thats +10 to your range & +4 damage gained in the first round of combat. Assuming you tell your DM you renew the speed boost every noncombat round. The additional damage soaker isn't something to laugh at either Mr d4er.

Edit - Your current build hits 8th level maneuvers by level 20. By a maneuver learning item and abuse Ruby Nightmare Strike which can deal over 200 damage as a standard action easy enough.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]