Author Topic: Exalted Psionist, Plz Help  (Read 8470 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Exalted Psionist, Plz Help
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »
DCFS doesn't give Vile feats, it gives Abyssal Heritor feats, which are, again, not evil.

Ghost may not be warranted.  Telekinesis may not be as reliable with VoP, since you may or may not be able to carry objects with you to fling at enemies.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 10:16:41 PM »
DCFS doesn't give Vile feats, it gives Abyssal Heritor feats, which are, again, not evil.

But dedicating yourself to an Elder Evil does, and I'm doubtful of my access to DCFS in the campaign.

Ghost may not be warranted.  Telekinesis may not be as reliable with VoP, since you may or may not be able to carry objects with you to fling at enemies.

Although I would be limited to (poisoned)spears(1d8), ghostly grasp(feat) solves any issues interacting with objects, including carrying them...
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 03:13:08 AM »
You can "carry" the objects you fling at enemies with Telekinesis, no problem.  The problem comes when you consider whether or not you're able to own 12-15 weapons without violating VoP.  RAW it probably works, but you're looking to use this in an actual game.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 03:58:25 AM »
You can "carry" the objects you fling at enemies with Telekinesis, no problem.  The problem comes when you consider whether or not you're able to own 12-15 weapons without violating VoP.  RAW it probably works, but you're looking to use this in an actual game.

I'm still waiting for my DM to clarify a few things about VoP(changing bonus feats, and maybe alignment) so I'll ask him about this after I hear back from him, but in my view of thinking, I don't see a problem with carrying 12 spears strapped to my character's back, as long as I still face encumbrance penalties(I would most likely be at a heavy load) as long as said spears fit the basic requirements of VoP. Obviously if the number got ridiculous, say in the 30's or higher, I could see a ruling would be needed. It's not like 15d8 damage with 12 separate attack(not touch) rolls that have to succeed is going to break a game. At least I hope it wouldn't. Although, I guess if enough bonuses were added it could become problematic.

For a bit of redundancy, I'll put this here too
Q181:What happens to a character that has vow of poverty and uses (psionic) minor creation to make something? I'm curious, because the feat says nothing about thing that are temporarily created by magic/psionics, and I might be running such a character soon.

Currently I'm waiting for my DM to get back to me on my queries about VoP, but until I here from him, I'm thinking using either ghost or warforged(w/P. repair damage) as my race, then focusing on metacreativity with smatterings of telepathy, psychokinesis, and psychometabolism on the side. I'd use metacreativity powers such as psionic minor creation, astral construct, and psionic fabricate for utility/toolbox-iness, telepathy for the "I screw you over with my mind feel," psychokinesis as staple damage dealers/movement, and psychometabolism for buffing. In combat, the telekinetic powers and astral construct would be staples for damage, using the telepathic powers only when they seem to be A: likely to work, and B: PP efficient. On top of all that, I also want to be able to remain extremely self-reliant(meaning NO ITEMS(exception to metacreativity of course) if I can get VoP changed to my likings.)
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.

[/spoiler]

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
If I go with a 2 level dip into totemist( to go Tot 2+Psi x+SoulMan10) would ardent be better for the psionic class, as opposed to say Erudite? I don't have my copy of CPsi in front of me, but I do remember it having better HD, BAB, and I know about its wonky mechanic for learning powers off of ML. I'm curious as to how it would affect the character overall. I'd rather have the Int based manifesting, but I'm willing to forgo it, if the benefits are there.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »
If I go with a 2 level dip into totemist( to go Tot 2+Psi x+SoulMan10) would ardent be better for the psionic class, as opposed to say Erudite? I don't have my copy of CPsi in front of me, but I do remember it having better HD, BAB, and I know about its wonky mechanic for learning powers off of ML. I'm curious as to how it would affect the character overall. I'd rather have the Int based manifesting, but I'm willing to forgo it, if the benefits are there.
Ardents don't get the Int manifesting or the bonus feats, and their mantles limit their powers known quite a lot.

But they have mantle abilities (some of which are quite powerful) and a few ACFs that are quite good. It also lets you learn powers according to your manifester level rather than your effective class level, granting you higher level powers.

However, I've found that most of the best powers are 4th level or below (with a few major exceptions), and that augmentation is the way to go for these. So Overchannel, Practiced Manifester, plus a few other bonuses (like the orange ioun stone, a metamagic rod bound to your hands chakra, and a pair of arcanist's gloves [altered slightly to benefit a manifester]) can do you a world of good.

I'm a much bigger fan of psions than ardents in general, aside from a couple of mantle abilities (like Magic) and the ACFs.

I suggest psion.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 07:19:25 PM »
Thanks for the information and advice. As the other players have started to give me their character roles, I think I'm going to end up needed to provide most of the utility, so with your suggestions, I'm thinking psion or maybe erudite. Erudite has more powers known, but is limited by their unique powers per day per level. Which do you think would be better? Erudite for the powers know? I'm not going to use the erudite spell to power ACF, but the favored discipline ACF has been approved by my DM. If I go erudite, I'd probably pick either metacreativity or psychometabolism as my favored discipline. Metacreativity for the utility, psychometabolism for the  combat/buffs.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 07:58:26 PM »
Favored discipline erudite is certainly reasonable, but which ruling is your DM going with on unique powers per day? 4 unique powers per day period, 4 unique powers per power level per day, 4 unique powers per class level per day, or 4 unique powers per manifester level per day? This means you could have anywhere from 4 UPPD to 28 UPPD. I'd say 4 unique powers per power level per day, meaning you get a total of 16 UPPD split evenly between your 4 available power levels known.

If he rules that it's 4 unique powers per power level, I suggest erudite/totemist 2/soul manifester.

If he rules you get 4 UPPD period, I'd skip erudite and either go shaper/totemist 2/soul manifester or shaper/3.5 constructor 9/astral zealot or anarchic initiate (using the Primary Contact feat from Cityscape to get into constructor at Shaper 5) or shaper/crystal master.

Either way grab Linked Power to cut down the speed of your manifesting times on powers like Psionic Minor Creation and Astral Construct.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 08:59:43 PM »
He's been pretty lenient so far, so I'm gonna guess that he'll rule that it's unique powers per power level per day.  I'm still waiting on his ruling for the modifications to vow of poverty, so I'll let you know if he says differently on erudite's powers limitations, but for now we'll work under my earlier assumption. So it looks like I'll do the totemist dip leading to soul maniferster. What would be by combat activities at level 7(when the game starts)? Would I use metamorphosis and  aggressive soulmelds then charge into combat? (honestly I'm not even completely sure if I keep my soulmelds' benefits once I change shape) or should I use poison(via psionic minor creation) on spears to be telekinetic thrust'ed? Or should I use astral construct? I'm assuming that you'll want to know what the party make up is...   So far there has been mention of a swift hunter, a spellthief(trickster)/conjurer(specializing in debuffing and BFC, a warblade/bloodstorm blade, a saint(subject to change, he's also waiting on a ruling), and a sixth player who I has said what he'll be( at least not to me) as near as I can tell, it'll be pretty heavily oriented towards combat. 

Thanks for everyone's help so far, especially lycanthromancer
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 10:04:45 PM »
Sounds like you'll have the most versatile of all the characters on the board (aside from the conjurer, depending on what he wants to do with his character), and as such, you'll need to tailor your activities to the situation, the foes you face, and what everyone else tends to do.

You'll also want to tailor your soulmelds with this in mind, as well (or use them to save you on powers known/UPPD used, such as for flight, or grab things psionics just can't give you readily, such as the shoulders bind of the phase cloak for defensive and utilitarian ethereality).

I doubt you'll want to enter combat directly most times, since you've got plenty of combat-fodder already, so use your combat powers as strategically as you can. Things like time hop on enemy mounts, and to change terrain to your advantage (knock out a chain link of that chandelier to drop it on foes, or on the supports of a bridge), and on fallen foes and allies to keep them out of combat to prevent them from dying when you want to keep them up and running. Astral construct is an incredibly diverse power; everything from mobile soft cover to battlefield control to a disposable grappler to a trapspringer to a flanking buddy and more.

Basically, enable the group's strategic mindset through clever use of your powers, and you'll be amazed at how easily you can turn the tide of battle on your own.

Outside of a fight, you have six basic powers you'll default to: psionic charm, psionic minor creation, astral construct, time hop, wall of ectoplasm, and energy wall. These powers should cover 99% of everything you'll want to do out of combat, especially since they can do virtually anything between them. Just use your imagination, and it's astounding what you can pull off.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 10:39:59 PM »
As you posted, damage should be covered, and the conjurer/trickster spell thief should have basic battle field control down, so, and correct me if I'm wrong, I should basically be the tide shifter of the group, playing chess with my powers? So time hopping a charges mount, dropping an astral construct behind an attacker, stopping any potential charges with a well placed energy wall(I won't have wall of ectoplasm when the game starts), and basically setting the group up to perform a checkmate with minimum losses to the group will be my combat activities And manifest a psioinic minor creation to poison the party's weapons before combat.

What feats should I take? Linked power is almost a must, as is psicrystal affinity, and overchannel and extend look nice, but I'm still getting by bearing for how the soulmelds will effect me, so I'm still not sure what I'll need to cover. Normally I'd make characters by using my feats to cover any weaknesses I can't ignore then use the remaining feats to enhance my abilities. What feats will I need for incarnum? (I'm reading through the incarnum handbook now, and then I'll read the totemist hand book, I've read them before, but it's been a while)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 11:18:11 PM »
As you posted, damage should be covered, and the conjurer/trickster spell thief should have basic battle field control down, so, and correct me if I'm wrong, I should basically be the tide shifter of the group, playing chess with my powers? So time hopping a charges mount, dropping an astral construct behind an attacker, stopping any potential charges with a well placed energy wall(I won't have wall of ectoplasm when the game starts), and basically setting the group up to perform a checkmate with minimum losses to the group will be my combat activities And manifest a psionic minor creation to poison the party's weapons before combat.
Oh, I almost forgot dimension swap. Take it off the nomad list and you can swap allies (including yourself, your psicrystal, and other pets, such as allied zombies, astral constructs, and so on).

What feats should I take? Linked power is almost a must, as is psicrystal affinity, and overchannel and extend look nice, but I'm still getting by bearing for how the soulmelds will effect me, so I'm still not sure what I'll need to cover. Normally I'd make characters by using my feats to cover any weaknesses I can't ignore then use the remaining feats to enhance my abilities. What feats will I need for incarnum? (I'm reading through the incarnum handbook now, and then I'll read the totemist hand book, I've read them before, but it's been a while)
You'll definitely want Linked Power and Psicrystal Affinity (and Psionic Meditation and Psicrystal Containment, for extra foci). Overchannel, Midnight Augmentation, and Psicarnum Infusion will be really handy for when you need a big boost to a power.

If you get to choose your feats for VoP, I suggest more psionic and incarnum feats, since both are pretty feat-starved. Some extra Shape Soulmeld feats would be nice (for things like Charming Veil and Astral Vambraces), and some other incarnum feats that grant essentia (and can be filled via Psicarnum Infusion) wouldn't be amiss either. Oh, and Practiced Manifester, since you'll be losing at least 2 manifester levels, if you've got a feat to spare. Since you're nabbing Metamorphosis at some point, choose some good forms with Su abilities (such as pixie) and go Metamorphic Transfer. Preferably on things you couldn't do with psionics otherwise. If you decide to play, say, a neraph, grab your Monster Manual and look up the nightmare and note its Su abilities.

As far as soulmelds go, Blink Shirt and Phase Cloak are awesome in a can, as are the shedu crown and airstep sandals. I've got a spreadsheet I made that allows you to look at all the official soulmelds out there, and lets you organize them according to functionality, source, and what classes give them to you. Check it out here.

And for easier astral construct production, there's this. I can't take credit for that one, though.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 11:48:04 PM »
You may also want to look here for a few really good Metamorphosis forms (and you keep your class levels and feats when you transform, so yes you do, indeed, keep your soulmelds, unless you lose your Con score or it goes down too far).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:50:06 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 12:20:17 AM »
Dimension swap look like the queen of the combat teleporting. When I PM'd my DM if I could choose my feats for VoP, I suggested that if he thought that choosing any feat was too much, to restrict it to only psionic feats.

Feats(If I don't use VoP):

flaws:Vulnerable(I don't plan on getting into the fray), Shaky(I think I can do with out the direct damage powers)
Flaw'd feats:Azure talent, Psycarnum Infusion
1: overchannel
3: linked power
erudite(at level 3): Psicrystal affinity, (Favored discipline:metacreativity or psychometabolism)
6: Psychic Meditation
Erudite(at level 7): Practised Manifester

Feats(If I'm allowed to choose my feats for VoP)

flaws:Vulnerable, Shaky
Flaw'd feats:Azure talent, Sacred Vow
1: Vow of Poverty
VoP(at level 1): Overchannel
VoP(at level 2):linked power
3: Psycarnum Infusion
VoP(at level 4): Psychic Meditation
erudite(at level 3): Psicrystal affinity, (Favored discipline:metacreativity or psychometabolism)
6: Shape Soulmeld(Airstep Sandals)
VoP(at level 6): Psicrystal Containment
Erudite(at level 7): Practised Manifester

What do you think?
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »
Pretty good overall, except for Azure Talent. I don't really think you need too many power points if you use shaper powers for your go-to powers (and I really do suggest Metacreativity).

Heck, I'd rather find ways to lower pp costs (see: Metapower + Linked Power + Synchronicity for a -1 pp cost to your Linked standard action powers) than using a feat to get more pp directly.

Too bad you need Azure Talent as a prereq.

Stupid useless-ass prereqs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:31:22 AM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 01:03:30 AM »
If I were to drop azure talent and its derivative, I could go something like:

Feats(If I don't use VoP):

Flaw'd feats:linked power, metapower(linked power->synchrocity)
1: overchannel
3: extend power
6: Psychic Meditation
Erudite(at level 7): Practiced Manifester

Feats(If I'm allowed to choose my feats for VoP)

Flaw'd feats: linked power, Sacred Vow
1: Vow of Poverty
VoP(at level 1): Overchannel
VoP(at level 2):metapower(linked power->synchrocity)
3: extend power
VoP(at level 4): Psychic Meditation
6: Shape Soulmeld(Airstep Sandals)
VoP(at level 6): Psicrystal Containment
Erudite(at level 7): Practiced Manifester

With this set-up, I'd be able to get free standard actions every time I manifester a standard action power, and my powers would last twice as long when I needed them too(buffs, time hop, P. Minor creation, etc)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 01:15:07 AM »
Unfortunately, Azure Talent is needed for soul manifester (as I said, stupid useless-ass prereqs; why do they feel the need to burn precious, precious feats for a few nifty abilities?).

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 02:17:13 AM »
I'm playing the spellthief/conjurer.  The character is planning to be spellthief1(trickster acf from dragon 353)/conjurer5(spontaneous divination acf and abrupt jaunt)/incantantrix3/nar demonbinder1/ultimate magus10.  I'm banning evocation and enchantment for conjuration and then necromancy for incantantrix after adding the spells from that school that I want.  If anyone has some suggestions about how I can make modifications that could help synergize with the psionicist since according to the game we have all known each other for years I'm definitely open to suggestions.

The character is posted here:  http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=279297

But for anyone that just wants a basic breakdown:
Human:  Spellthief1(Trickster ACF)/Conjurer5/Incantantrix1
Flaws:  Vulnerable, Noncombatant.
Feats:  Otherworldly
Spell Focus(Conjuration)
HBonus: Extend Spell
1st:  Quicken Spell
Wizard Swap:  Scribe Scroll for Improved Initiative
3rd:  Sculpt Spell
5th:  Spontaneous Divination ACF
6th:  Master Spellthief
Inc Bonus:  Persistent Spell
Iron Will from Otyugh Hole.

I kind of feel like I'm a bit metamagic heavy at this point and maybe should dump sculpt or quicken right now for cloudy conjuration or summon elemental.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Unfortunately, Azure Talent is needed for soul manifester (as I said, stupid useless-ass prereqs; why do they feel the need to burn precious, precious feats for a few nifty abilities?).

Whoops, guess that's what I get for not checking before I posted

@vilenatas: Thanks for letting me know what your character is. The only suggestion that I feel comfortable giving you to make your character have a bit more synergy with mine is to take this spell once you can cast level 4 spells. It wouldn't be something that would be necessary all the time, but it could be a fun combo every now and again, and it would reinforce our back story. Speaking of back story, should we right that together, or should we wait to hear from Stormcrow? If I'm reading your character like, it appears that your eventually going for persistent spell shenanigans, so, as I wrote, it could be a fun combo. I'll also make sure that my powers don't overlap yours a whole lot so that I'm not stepping on your feet all the time. I would agree though that you might want to put off quicken for a level or two and take something else, as a +4 increase is a hell of a bullet to swallow without more metamagic reducers. I should be able to abuse actions right as we start, so we won't be without it, but I'll leave the choice to you. Out of curiosity, why are you taking otherworldly, I know that the outsider type is nice, but I feel I'm missing something, because besides a handful of lower level immunities and martial weapon proficiency, it seems that your feat slot could be better used. 

Edit: never mind my question about otherworldly, I just found alterself on your spell list. Some how I missed that the first time.

Edit 2: Any suggestions for a non-standard race with +0 LA? Currently, I'm thinking either kobold or goblin, but I'm open to suggestions.

Edit 3: Here is a copy of what I have so far. I went with aleithian dwarves for now
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:23:03 PM by geniussavant »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »
Yeah, otherworldly is for the alter self hijinx.  I swapped out quicken spell for cloudy conjuration to help add more battlefield control options.

As to race, are you aiming for greenskin style or just something different?  Maybe see if you can get a "fire" goblin.  It appears fire adds int and subtracts charisma on all the other elemental races which wouldn't be too bad.