Author Topic: My DM Just Banned Psychic Reformation  (Read 45740 times)

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: My DM Just Banned Psychic Reformation
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2011, 12:22:04 AM »
 :jumping :dogpile : Definitely the best news that I have read today  :clap :clap

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
Who wants cake?

Cheesecake or beefcake, your choice!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

zioth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
The more I read from you, the more reasonable and open you seem. I'd welcome you to any campaign I ran, if you were in my area. It's too bad communication was so poor in this campaign. Some people just aren't good at that. They don't want to tell you what to do, but they assume that what they consider "reasonable" and "common sense" is universal, and are surprised when others don't act in accordance with their views. I hope you find a good game to join in the future.

Also, Ranger and Monk are my favorite classes. I've played more Rangers than anyone has a right to, and there is a soft spot in my heart for the Monk, which is my second-most-often-played class.

I'm a fan of them myself. I'm currently playing a Ranger/Monk type (with other classes thrown in).

I'm happy to hear about your neice. I hope everything goes well for her from now on.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
Happy happy joy joy
(repeat)

{ ... insert there is no Ren And Stimpy smiley face ... }

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
Happy happy joy joy
(repeat)

{ ... insert there is no Ren And Stimpy smiley face ... }

Okay, now I'm just horrified.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2011, 03:50:20 AM »
I really need to bookmark this entire thread...pretty much sums up my experiences in almost every campaign i've ever played in, and pretty much describes every DM I have ever had.

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2011, 12:05:57 AM »
Thought I'd take a moment to share a few pictures of my niece with all of you. I really can't tell you enough how much my family and I appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers.

These photos were all taken by my brother- and sister-in-law. I've captioned them to give a little background or explain the significance.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2011, 12:34:41 AM »
Thought I'd take a moment to share a few pictures of my niece with all of you. I really can't tell you enough how much my family and I appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers.

These photos were all taken by my brother- and sister-in-law. I've captioned them to give a little background or explain the significance.

That is awesome man :D  I showed my wife as well, and she instructed me to tell you to "give that baby a big ole hug from me!"
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2011, 01:43:04 AM »

Cute little tyke. Glad to see the kidlet well again  :)

P.S. I agree, the touque is adorable on her.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2011, 02:10:04 AM »
super cute. =D may things continue to improve. =D
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »
Here's a little update about the original topic of this thread.

I spoke with one of the other group members yesterday.

I was told the DM is still happy to have me at the table.

No direct re-invitation has been made, but the direct lines of communication between the DM and me are down by mutual assent.

I can see three options: (1) return to the game; (2) do nothing; (3) contact the DM and decline.

What ought I to do?

Are there any other viable options I've missed?

Remember, I'm trying to take the high road here. :)

Oh, and believe me, I wouldn't return without first resolving the underlying issue.

Heh...I'm not just gonna cave.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »
Start your own game. With beer, and hookers.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
I'd vote #2. If the DM really wants you back in the game he will contact you. If he is just trying to save face or be nice then he won't really have changed anything and you are back at square 1. Either way I don't see 1 or 3 improving the situation and either could potentially make it worse.

I can relate to having an individual say the DM has invited you to the game. I recently went through this with a former DM running a Wheel of Time game. They found out I had been reading the books and told a mutual acquittance I was welcome at the game. I contacted them a few time to discuss possible characters and get a feel for the game's dynamics. After weeks of me contacting them and trying to get them to give me a date for getting together to make my character I gave up on them. I told them I would wait to hear from them on making my character and haven't heard from them since. One of the other players agreed with my thoughts on the situation of the DM extending the invitation to try and be nice, but never expecting I would accept. Once I had accepted they just gave me the run around until I left them alone about it.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
Have the mutual friend that told you of the invitation tell the DM (preferably in front of the other players) that you would not feel comfortable returning without a direct invitation.

Or something to that effect putting the onus on the DM.

Of course, if you don't actually want to return then this is not a good idea as it could lead to you being the 'jerk' if he actually did contact you :)
Placeholder - T'tosc

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »

People have an urge to reconcile after mishaps, especially if theres no social 'cost' to bear, like pride or admitting he over-reacted. Usually the original issues resurface after the gloss of reconciliation fades.

Yes, I'm bitter  :rollseyes, but I'm also a Psych major  :smirk We have stats.

I'm not saying he needs to apologise or admit, or what have you, but certainly this appears to be a sugar glossing of a gesture. If he wants you back in the game he'll contact you.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2011, 03:31:36 PM »
Start your own game. With beer, and hookers.
... and coke.   you can't have hookers without the coke.

on a serious note, I'd have to concur with the following 3 responses.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2011, 01:57:02 AM »
hmmm. i might suggest different accouterments, but i'd lean towards starting your own game, or at least finding another group. penandpapergames is a very good place to search.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Lifat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2011, 07:35:08 PM »
If the DM really wanted/wants you back then at the very least he should e-mail said wish to you directly. And before agreeing you should both have a talk about how things needs to be run from the return.
If you simply return without having a good talk on how he and you want things to be then you will likely end up pissing each other of again.

I think that the people suggesting that he was burnedout was dead on. It makes sense of all the things you've written about. If he's burned out of course he is going to see every little talk between you and him about rules and power as you trying yet another trick that will further skew the powerbalance.

Someone wrote that you shouldn't have made a character as powerful as you did... It might have been a way to go. But to be honest creating a rogue/cleric 3/3 is simply without hope and you wouldn't be able to create a character that was as useless. At least not without being in a grave risk of dying.

And just for everyone out there. Remember to do big talks on what you want and expect from the game BEFORE starting the campaign/game. This way you avoid situations like this.
Find out what tier the DM feels comfortable with creating encounters for. Make sure that the group is within 1 tier of each other. Offer assistance to people not able to create chars within 1 tier.
Follow those simple steps and you'll have a DM that is able and willing to create appropriate challenges for you and you'll have a group that should be reasonably balanced.
On a side note. Belated congratulations with your niece. May you and your family be blessed with much happiness from here on out.

Janthkin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2011, 03:22:27 PM »
What ought I to do?

Are there any other viable options I've missed?
4) Thank the group member, explain that you're too busy in the immediate term, but when they reach the end of the campaign, you'd like to get back in touch and see if you can [be involved in|run] the next one.