Author Topic: Should the DR system be scrapped?  (Read 5123 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Should the DR system be scrapped?
« on: March 14, 2011, 10:04:47 PM »
DR, like skill checks, matter most in early game but is often quickly outgrown.

DR/Magic matters most at levels 1 and 2.  Come level 3, people have Mountain Hammer and Foehammer.  Come level 5, people have greater magic weapon.

The current DR system assumes people are doing low damage on each hit.  The highest core DR I found was DR 20/Magic (True Dragons), DR 15/silver and good (Pit Fiends), and DR 15/epic and evil (Solars).

If DR is to matter, it must be a percentage, possibly with a minimum.  Sample:  DR 20%/Magic (Minimum 2).

But DR in general gimps non-casters while doing nothing directly to stop casters.  No amount of DR prevents fireball or web or fly (on himself) + invisibility + whatever.

What are your thoughts?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Re: Should the DR system be scrapped?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »
1-DR is a secondary defense. It softens up blows and helps protecting from mooks. If a dragon had enough DR to fully stop the ubercharger of same level, then something would be wrong. Specially because the ubercharger cannot afford to fully power attack already because of the dragon's insane natural armor.
2-DR is also aimed at protecting noncaster monsters from hordes of low level mooks. So altough the DR 10/magic is irrelevant against the PCs, it means a city of thousands of lv1 dudes can be menaced by a single monster that would otherwise suffer a death from a thousand cuts from natural 20s.

If you do it as a percentage, then we go back to death from a thousand cuts.

And really, you make it sound as if DR was the only defense from monsters. Again, it's a secondary defense. The Pit Fiend also has SLAs and nat armor and other stuff to back up his DR.

If monsters didn't have nat armor, you may have a point, but considering they have it, DR is more of level check to prevent deaths from a thousand cuts from dudes much lower level than you.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »
DR is more of level check to prevent deaths from a thousand cuts from dudes much lower level than you.
Full fucking Stop. :thumb

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:43:39 AM »
Actually though, if not for the ways to totally bypass DR, I'd advocate, design wise, making DR a PRIMARY defense for melee and leave AC as secondary. Much better for tanking over multiple rounds than AC.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:32:44 AM »
Actually though, if not for the ways to totally bypass DR, I'd advocate, design wise, making DR a PRIMARY defense for melee and leave AC as secondary. Much better for tanking over multiple rounds than AC.
Only if it scales with your level, but I'm assuming you meant that.

I don't think DR should be scrapped.  I think it should scale.  It's easy enough to build into monsters, but it's not that hard to revamp for PCs.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:58:49 AM »
Yeah, but as aspects of Rocket Tag go, Save or Die effects have a bigger role than it does.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:48:01 PM »
DR is great against multiattackers, like TWFs and Cat Pouncers. The TWFs aren't a big deal, but it drops the cat pouncers damage enough for it to not kill you.

DR/Magic is  useful for PCs if they get it early via incarnate. 10/Magic at level 7 and dealing 3d6 fire damage when ever it hits you, gives you a  huge shot against things like earth elementals, elephants, and hill giants that are GTFO when it comes to melee.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:51:51 PM by lans »
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

axenome1

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 03:03:43 AM »
O boy. Go go gadget wall-of-text!

Aright, damage reduction has its roots in the old days of advanced D&D where monsters were outright immune to weapons under a certain degree of enchantment. This in turn was based off of Lord of the Rings "Return of the King" where the Lich King of Angmar was hamstringed by a hobbit using ione of the old barrow blades that the party had acquired after their encounter with the wight just before they were rescued by Tom Bombadil (a series of events that were removed ostensibly to save movie running time but more likely to prevent moviegoers from being traumatized by the sight of four hobbits streaking through grassy fields under the supervision of a magical hermit. Too many things wrong with that scene).

Background aside, the blade was of exceeding quality, and "a lesser blade, even driven by a mightier arm, could not have dealt so vicious a blow." From this, the idea of damage reduction was drawn.

If you are worried about DR as a means by which to prevent the BBEG from being nibbled to death by a swarm of ducks wielding natural 20's consider one of the following options:
1) For each magical "plus" of the weapon, reduce the damage reduction provided by 20% (from DR x/magic), to where the magical DR is negated completely only by a +5 enhancement bonus weapon. I've found this house rule nips a lot of minmaxing of weapon fluff bonuses VERY quickly.
2) Armor provides DR as well as armor bonus. Apply some of the damage prevented this way to the armor. Gives a good reason for the fighter to want to wear scale mail instead of streaking with the wizard's Mage Armor, and gives the base Fighter a chance to survive ye olde Grand Master Fists of Flurry-San who is facing off against him with Bracers of Armor +8. (Another time I will get into my rant against the ludicrous damage dice afforded to unarmed monks, but not today)
3) natural 20's do not afford an automatic hit should your bonuses not add up t the AC, they just grant you another attack roll with a +19, cumulatively if necessary. This turns a flat 5% chance to hit into something far more realistic- it's feasible for a single peasant to get a lucky shot in, but not so often as 1 in 20. Especially not against something that's rocking a 35 AC.

Just some food for thought.

-Axenme1's wall of text crits you for OVER 9000!!!

"I would love to just run out the end of that building dressed as a sperm..."
-Internet comment regarding the Yas Hotel, constructed in Dubai

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 05:06:55 AM »
1 will be problematic, I suspect, all it does is penalize people who don't realize that Greater Magic Weapon is a winning strategy further, and at lower levels, monsters are significantly tougher.

2, the first part makes sense in implementing less rockety combat, but the bit about damage dice is hilariously laughable.

3, ah, ye old exploding dice. The more common one I see is +20 and reroll, vs -20 and reroll on nat 1s. 20 because it adds/subtracts faster than 19.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »
Yeah that monk damage dice bit really shook my faith.

I was just looking back through some old facebook messages between me and a buddy from when we were just "learning D&D" and he was looking at all this cool AC he had and stuff and "just wished I could do more than 1d10+6" at level 8 or so. If only we knew...
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »
Background aside, the blade was of exceeding quality, and "a lesser blade, even driven by a mightier arm, could not have dealt so vicious a blow." From this, the idea of damage reduction was drawn.
Which, in turn, was based off Beowulf.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

axenome1

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 11:41:28 PM »
I freely confess that I had completely forgotten Beowulf. My bad  :blush
"I would love to just run out the end of that building dressed as a sperm..."
-Internet comment regarding the Yas Hotel, constructed in Dubai

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 01:19:41 AM »

Angelina Jolie had pulverize, not DR.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 02:46:26 AM »

Angelina Jolie had pulverize, not DR.

Just making sure you understand that Beowulf the book is not the novelization of the movie, right?

nightshade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 07:05:38 AM »

But DR in general gimps non-casters while doing nothing directly to stop casters.  No amount of DR prevents fireball or web or fly (on himself) + invisibility + whatever.

Isn't that what SR is good for?  :p

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 08:26:31 AM »
Nope, SR doesn't work against 3/4 of those, and the one it does work on doesn't matter so much in the grand scheme of things.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

nightshade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 09:59:23 AM »
Nope, SR doesn't work against 3/4 of those, and the one it does work on doesn't matter so much in the grand scheme of things.
The Thread is about damage reduction and SR may prevent you from damaging spells. So it is something similar. Okay, there are spells that simply don't allow SR but there are also weapons that overcome DR. SR won't work vs invisibility etc. but thats something different and its well known that spells > weapons.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:06:15 AM by nightshade »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:12 AM »
At least DR does its job.

All SR does is mostly get in the way.
Of yourself.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

lianightdemon

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 08:09:04 AM »
And I honestly believe that as the monster/creature with SR should be able suppress their SR for a moment when casting on themselves.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 06:05:14 PM »
And I honestly believe that as the monster/creature with SR should be able suppress their SR for a moment when casting on themselves.

IT ALREADY DOES SO DAMNIT!

It's right there on the ability description! It even has its own paragraph! You can totally buff yourself whitout worrying about your own SR by RAW!

I really don't get all this hate SR gets. Either your caster allies suddenly want to shower you with buffs and in-combat healing (while in every other thread it's more like "in-combat healing is the suckorz!" and "casters are better off buffing their minions"), or you're plainly ignoring the ability rules so it works on the worst may imageanable.