Author Topic: War Weaver Transmuter - How can I make my party glorious?  (Read 7036 times)

Iskajir

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: War Weaver Transmuter - How can I make my party glorious?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 01:13:58 AM »
Persistent> Quicken. Your action economy will be uber without Quicken. Belt of Battle, Celerity abuse, and other items will likely be eating your swift actions. It's nice if you can fit it in, but hardly essential.

Persistent is particularly good here though, especially with Metamagic effect, and cooperative metamagic for your cleric buddy.

By 5th level or so with this build you should be in very good shape as written. I haven't addressed any of the controversial issues simply because either a) your DM already ok'ed it, so it's kosher, or b) your DM will be beating you with a DMG screaming cheese this and nerf that. In either case, my advice should be solid and practical if a bit conservative.

Any hints on starting level, or party composition?

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 02:27:06 AM »
Since you are going war weaver I don't know if you really need quicken, you already get four buffs for the cost of a move action.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »
Common advice is, "Take Quicken by 12 for full casters!"

The party composition is uncertain.  This is a character I hope to play.

How spiffy is spectral hand for a War Weaver?  I don't want to need Reach Spell/Ocular Spell, and I don't want to need to melee touch my companions for every buff I deliver.  I figure I can get an item of spectral hand at will and keep one hand per party member.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »
What if you cast Spectral Hand, and then use it to cast your spells on the weave? Then you have the range of Spectral Hand, rather than Touch.

That way it's 1 spell rather than 4 that you need to memorize at a time.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 06:32:54 PM »
Spectral Hand doesn't change the spell's range, it just lets you deliver it through the hand. If that was enough, you wouldn't even need the spell to weave touch spells as your familiar gets a similar ability.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 06:40:43 PM »
War Weaver also upgrades the range on your spells. Since you're going War Weaver 5, that problem will actually be dealt with for you.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Iskajir

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 06:41:13 PM »
The hummingbird familiar has great mobility, and so long as you don't send it into threatened squares, it's pretty safe to use for touch buffs.

Check out Dictum Motruum's awesome [url http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7508.0]Familiar Handbook[/url], and get more out of that thing than just the +4 Init.

Before getting the War Weaver capstone, having a solid way to deliver all those touch buffs without getting threatened is very handy. Cooperative party members will often be willing to use a 5' adjust to make sure the familiar can safely deliver their mage-roids.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
What happens before I'm War Weaver5?

Also, Deliver Touch Spells seems bad for this.

Deliver Touch Spells (Su)

If the master is 3rd level or higher, a familiar can deliver touch spells for him. If the master and the familiar are in contact at the time the master casts a touch spell, he can designate his familiar as the "toucher." The familiar can then deliver the touch spell just as the master could. As usual, if the master casts another spell before the touch is delivered, the touch spell dissipates.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Iskajir

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »
I used a raven boosted with Elemental Familiar spell. 100' (perfect) and Flyby Attack assured he could get "There and Back Again" in time to be useful. I never had a problem.

Any intervening rounds should be spent with de-buffs or BFC, or in your case Fiery Bursting the crud out of flammable enemies; it's supernatural, so doesn't count as "another spell." Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, or Ability-Enhanced Enlarge(or Reduce) Person will stay useful until mid-levels.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
Have your raven familiar dive-bomb foes with things like lamp oil, and use fiery burst for bonus damage.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]