Author Topic: He-Man, She-Ra, the Masters of the Universe, and More  (Read 3874 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
He-Man, She-Ra, the Masters of the Universe, and More
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:36:29 PM »
Because there's a 24 hour marathon of the original He-Man series on Teletoon Retro, I felt compelled to look up builds for He-Man, and to my surprise the only build that I could find was one for 4th Ed.

He-Man, level 22
Human, Ranger, Kensei, Demigod
Build: Beastmaster Ranger
Fighting Style: Beast Mastery
Student of the Sword: Student of One-Handed Weapons
Kensei Focus: Kensei Focus Longsword
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Strength
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Wisdom
Beast Companion Type: Cat

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 28, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 37 Fort: 38 Reflex: 38 Will: 36
HP: 129 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 35

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +20, Nature +20, Athletics +26, Perception +20, Endurance +16, Acrobatics +19, Intimidate +25

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +11, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +12, Dungeoneering +15, History +11, Insight +15, Religion +11, Stealth +14, Streetwise +12, Thievery +14

FEATS
Human: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 1: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 2: Shield Proficiency (Light)
Level 4: Student of the Sword
Level 6: Vengeful Beast (retrained to Epic Will at Level 22)
Level 8: Human Beast Mastery
Level 10: Lethal Hunter
Level 11: Paragon Defenses (retrained to Epic Reflexes at Level 21)
Level 12: Protective Beast
Level 14: Danger Sense
Level 16: Adept Power
Level 18: Novice Power
Level 20: Sturdy Beast
Level 21: Prime Hunter
Level 22: Quick Beast Command

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Circling Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Hit and Run
Ranger encounter 1: Enclose the Prey
Ranger daily 1: Hunt's End
Human: Predator Strike
Ranger utility 2: Unbalancing Parry
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger daily 5: Adaptive Assault
Ranger utility 6: Boundless Energy
Ranger encounter 7: Claws of the Griffon (retrained to Griffon's Wrath at Novice Power)
Ranger daily 9: Ranger's Recovery
Ranger utility 10: Quick Recovery
Ranger encounter 13: Knockdown Pounce (replaces Enclose the Prey)
Ranger daily 15: Scent of Fear (retrained to Quicksilver Stance at Adept Power) (replaces Hunt's End)
Ranger utility 16: Evade the Blow
Ranger encounter 17: Hounding Beast (replaces Disruptive Strike)
Ranger daily 19: Claim the Prize (replaces Adaptive Assault)
Ranger utility 22: Adamant Recovery

ITEMS
Ring of Regeneration (epic tier), Bone Ring of Better Fortune (paragon tier), Life Charm +6, Sandals of Avandra (epic tier), Elderhide Armor of Negation +6, Legendary Longsword +6, Shield of the Barrier Sentinels Light Shield (epic tier), Cincture of the Dragon Spirit (heroic tier)
RITUALS
Raise Beast Companion

For a variant, it was suggested that He-Man should be a goliath warden instead.

Here are more suggested builds. Even though they're 4th Ed, they could be converted to 3.5

He-Man: Goliath Warden. Longsword, Battleaxe, light shield. Harness functions as Hide armor. Magical bracers, belt and boots.
Man-at-Arms: Human Artificer/Warlord. Mace, hand crossbow (pistol), plate armor.
Teela: Human Ranger/Rogue. Short sword, light shield, leather armor.
The Sorceress: Deva Druid.
Skeletor: Revenant Wizard/Swordmage. Staff, sword, leather armor.
Evil-Lyn: Human Warlock (infernal). Rod, leather armor.
Mer-Man: Sahuagin Fighter/Barbarian.
Beastman: Half-Orc Barbarian.
Trap Jaw: Warforged Fighter.
She-Ra: Deva Avenger.
Hordak: Tiefling Warlock/Bard.
Ram-Man: Dwarf Fighter - battleaxe, plate armor, horned helm.

For a 3.5 version, I was thinking a demi-god human ranger 10/beast master 2/fighter 10 for He-Man. Cringer is a tiger, so that woks. It's just that his level is -7 for gaining animal companion stuff. For the Power Sword it's either be a Legacy Weapon, or a major artifact.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Re: He-Man, She-Ra, the Masters of the Universe, and More
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:28:20 AM »
He's a dude with a magic sword who hits hard and has an animal companion, right? I'd probably just say Warblade 5 or 6 with the Wild Cohort feat. My only exposure has been to a few episodes of the cartoon, though, so there may be feats he can accomplish that I'm not aware of.

Actually, he probably has levels in Burlew's Champion class, given the transformation. If we can use homebrew of uncertain balance.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:32:48 AM »
He-Man's basically Superman with a sword who can't fly. If you took Wild Cohort, you could gain the tiger a few levels earlier than if you'd taken ranger 10/beast master 2 (counts as druid 8). I'd probably still go beast master 2 though to negate 3 of the -7.

She can speak with animals so she'd be beast master 3, but in exchange she's less of a fighter.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:44:27 AM »
He-Man's basically Superman with a sword who can't fly.

Maybe so, but then Superman's power is more in his racial abilities than any class levels. Also, I don't really recall He-Man being invulnerable to (non-magical) harm, strong enough to lift 10,000,000 tons, or able to move faster than the speed of light.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 02:50:26 AM »
Maybe so, but then Superman's power is more in his racial abilities than any class levels. Also, I don't really recall He-Man being invulnerable to (non-magical) harm, strong enough to lift 10,000,000 tons, or able to move faster than the speed of light.
You must have missed those episodes then. BTW, Superman "moving faster than the speed of light" is based on his flying. If he could run that fast, he'd be more powerful than the Flash. He's not invulnerable, but you'd have one heck of a time trying to hit him.

He-Man can lift a planet, and run faster than most machines can drive. Basically He-Man's what Superman was when he was first created. Before he gained the powers of the gods from the yellow sun. Faster than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, etc. He-Man's abilities mostly come from his legendary sword. He and Battle Cat transform into the super-powered forms.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
BTW, Superman "moving faster than the speed of light" is based on his flying. If he could run that fast, he'd be more powerful than the Flash.
Yes, that's much better. :rollseyes

He-Man
Human Planar ranger 13/Stoneblessed (goliath) 3/Goliath barbarian 1/Cloistered cleric 1/Prestige paladin 2
Feats: Devoted Tracker, Divine Fervor, Divine Fury, God Touched, Holy Mount, Natural Bond, Power Attack, Shared Fury
Flaws: Pride of Arms, Weapon Bound
Equipment: Large Holy Avenger greatsword/Lesser schema of righteous might (Activation phrase: "By the power of Greyskull! I HAVE THE POWER!").

Cringer
Leopard Animal companion 6/Special mount 19

Cast righteous might from your sword then rage. With Share Spells and Shared Fury, your kitty gets both. Also activate Divine Fury while you're at it. You take a -8 penalty on attack rolls with weapons which aren't greatswords, and you can only wield your greatsword while raging.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:04:14 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »
BTW, Superman "moving faster than the speed of light" is based on his flying. If he could run that fast, he'd be more powerful than the Flash.

He IS more powerful than the Flash. By a lot. Also: THIS.

He-Man can lift a planet, and run faster than most machines can drive. Basically He-Man's what Superman was when he was first created. Before he gained the powers of the gods from the yellow sun. Faster than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, etc. He-Man's abilities mostly come from his legendary sword. He and Battle Cat transform into the super-powered forms.

I did not realize He-Man could lift a planet or run that fast. Interesting.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:03:29 PM by bkdubs123 »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »
@ Prime32 - I'd have to disagree with part of your build. He-Man's LG. When he thought someone died, he quit being He-Man. So he can't be a barbarian. The sword of power isn't large-sized. It's just your standard broadsword. Also, Cringer's a green tiger, not a leopard.

@ bkdubs123 - I know strength wise Superman's more powerful, but speed wise the Flash beats him. Maybe not in the old comics, but the new ones he does. Flash once ran so fast he erased his own existence because he trapped himself in time. Can't recall Superman doing that.

But yeah, He-Man can lift a planet, and run that fast. He got more powerful in the second season when another holy sword (an intelligent item that talked) merged with the sword of power, increasing his abilities. In the series finale, he could be scene running about as fast as the Flash when a bomb was about to go off, and Teela was going to be caught in the middle of the blast.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 02:58:39 PM »
But superman once turned back time by flying around the earth and his slipstream causing the earth to spin the other way, this causing time to go backwards.

Assuming he weighs around 100kgs his speed would be quite impressive, like around a billion of a billion times as fast as the speed of light.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
dorks

having said that, needs were-goliath
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »
But superman once turned back time by flying around the earth and his slipstream causing the earth to spin the other way, this causing time to go backwards.

Assuming he weighs around 100kgs his speed would be quite impressive, like around a billion of a billion times as fast as the speed of light.
Again, that's flying. But even then Superman reverses time. He doesn't move so fast he can travel through time. Big difference. Not to mention he never does it again. We can also bring up the fact that once he kissed Lois and erased her memory of him. Again, never happened more than once. Superman's powers are never consistent.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »
i believe in the Super Friends that they did an episode where the JL traveled back in time, each member doing their own transport. superman and flash both traveled back in time independently, as well as everyone else (i do think a couple people had to hitch a ride but i forget exactly)

Anim-manga sux.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »
No he didn't. Earth reversing direction was shown from his perspective. He just flew around the earth at FTL speeds.
@ Prime32 - I'd have to disagree with part of your build. He-Man's LG. When he thought someone died, he quit being He-Man. So he can't be a barbarian. The sword of power isn't large-sized. It's just your standard broadsword. Also, Cringer's a green tiger, not a leopard.
I know that. He's an ex-barbarian. The sword is just Large to stop Adam from swinging it around (and it could be heavy/oddly balanced). Leopard stats represent Cringer better, since they let him increase in size when he become Battle Cat.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »
The sword is just Large to stop Adam from swinging it around (and it could be heavy/oddly balanced).
Not heavy or oddly balanced. His allies and enemies have each used He-Man's sword many times without any issues. He-Man's just not much of a sword fighter. He relies more on his powerful swings to cut and break stuff than parry. He's better at hand-to-hand combat though.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 03:49:53 PM »
i dont recall He-man ever hitting anyone with his sword. no one ever got cut.

i barely remember any combat at all, other than untargeted gun fire on occasion.

Anim-manga sux.

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »
I never watched much He-Man, but I know my Flash.  Sorry, but Superman was super-fast when running, too, about as fast as Flash.  They've had several foot races, all of which ended up as ties (usually for some oddly arbitrary reason), where it was acknowledged that they both ran so fast it was hard to judge, and had to set arbitrary limitations on their speed or toss in obstacles to get in their way.

There were only two instances that I know of that let them seriously run at full speed, "Race to the End of the Universe" and the two-parter, "Race to Save the Universe"/"A Race to Save Time!".  In the first, they both more or less tied, where one judge (Green Lantern) said that Flash won and the other judge (Batman) said that Superman won (and ended with an uber-cheesy "What do YOU think, readers?" moment).  In the second, they both reached the final destination (a control room with a switch they had to throw to save the universe) at the same time, but Flash flipped the switch, meaning that he technically won the race.

Anyhow, what I'm getting at is that Superman doesn't just fly fast, he IS fast.  Almost exactly as fast as the Flash, as a matter of fact.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »
i dont recall He-man ever hitting anyone with his sword. no one ever got cut.

i barely remember any combat at all, other than untargeted gun fire on occasion.
That's true. No one ever got cut. Rocks fell on people though. He-Man's really good at sundering and breaking weapons.