Author Topic: Rich Burlew revisits his old work  (Read 8886 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Rich Burlew revisits his old work
« on: March 13, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »
http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#dvQHKid4TTvKKDRGMOK
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910

Rich "The Giant" Burlew is reorganising his site, and moving old articles into forum threads. At the same time, he's including fixes to bring them more up to date. The champion in particular gets a few more class features and a bunch of multiclassing feats, making it a lot more viable.

Comments?

Suggested build:
The Dragon Knight
Loredrake Venerable kobold Champion 1/Sorcerer 19
Feats: Dragonblooded Avatar, Dragonwrought, Extra Hero Form

Put all your avatar's ability score boosts into Cha.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:50:51 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Rich Burlew revisits his old work
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
While I like the homebrew in general, some of Rich's notes on the stuff make me facepalm.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »
While I like the homebrew in general, some of Rich's notes on the stuff make me facepalm.
Yeah, I have to agree... he has funny ideas about game balance.

A Champion dip is really good for spellcasters relying on save-or-suck spells.  Let's face it, your base casting stat in Hero Form will be pushing 40, and then your various magic items will bring that up to 50+ easily.  When every spell already has a saving throw of 30 + Spell Level, adding on the other stuff like Vow of Nonviolence + Planar Wizard + Spell Focus [Good] is just silly.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »
Hm... Near as I can tell, it's 1 level for a +4 bonus to your key casting stat for part of the day. Nice, but not absurd. You don't stack arcane spellcaster levels for your avatar's ability scores, so you start having to lose too many CLs for things to get really absurd. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem that unbalanced.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »
I love his talk of power creep. As if Core doesn't include 75% or more of the most game-breaking classes and effects.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »
Hm... Near as I can tell, it's 1 level for a +4 bonus to your key casting stat for part of the day. Nice, but not absurd. You don't stack arcane spellcaster levels for your avatar's ability scores, so you start having to lose too many CLs for things to get really absurd. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem that unbalanced.
Your avatar form has Outsider type, d12HD, good BAB, good Fort/Ref, poor Will. On top of the +4 to your casting stat.

Also, Rich answers some questions here.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:26:45 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
I love his talk of power creep. As if Core doesn't include 75% or more of the most game-breaking classes and effects.
I think it's because he's one of the few people who don't go all out and are enjoying simple games and are PAI (Playing As Intended).
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »
I think it's because he's one of the few people who don't go all out and are enjoying simple games and are PAI (Playing As Intended).

Hooray, baseless assumptions combined with blissful ignorance!

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »
I like the updates to The Champion. :)
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 08:39:09 PM »

Hooray, baseless assumptions combined with blissful ignorance!
Um... You're talking about me or Rich? ???
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 08:54:10 PM »
Loved this set of events:
-Need to make a 20th level transmuter.
-PoA clearly isn't powerfull enough, not to mention all the super self-buffs.
-Proceed to design new batch of transmutation spells, because transmutation totally needs to be able to do even more stuff!
-Present sugested changes to the DM.
-In the Giant's own words: "Fun fact, though: The character for which these spells were designed never actually saw play. The game folded before the first adventure."

Wonder if it had anything to do with wanting to give your 20th level transmuter wizard even more power than normal.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 09:17:02 PM »

One could argue that the power creep to which he is primarily referring is the creep of the really shitty classes into something mildly useful at the end of 3.5's published life. For example you can watch the maturation of gishes through different sources published at different times. It took wizards a really long time to figure out something that would do the trick. Earlier work, including homebrew, was a lot more modest. Only after trying the stuff out did a lot of people figure out that giving anyone but Tier 1s ANYTHING approaching useful was OK from a balance perspective.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »
Your avatar form has Outsider type, d12HD, good BAB, good Fort/Ref, poor Will. On top of the +4 to your casting stat.

Also, Rich answers some questions here.

Hm... I may have misinterpreted what the feat did, then. I assumed you added the modifiers from your casting class, not added that many hit dice with those attributes. With all that, it's a bit crazy, yeah.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »

Core is broken, noncore is also broken. Nearly every sourcebook published had something broken-powerful, but nobody cares because core was already broken. Adding more broken stuff onto a pile of broken stuff is still power creep, it's just power creep nobody cares aout.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 11:20:13 PM »
If you PAI then nothing is broken (except the new materials). :P

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
I also assumed that the ability score increases scaled with level, but I guess not.  It says "Champion Class Level" instead of hit die or level like I thought it did.

In that case, it'd still make a good 18th-level feat pick: once you get your 9th-level spells, grab a level of Champion and the appropriate feat for an easy, short-duration godmode 1/day.  You can even DCFS a previous feat to Extra Hero Form and do it another 2/day.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 12:06:31 AM »
In that case, it'd still make a good 18th-level feat pick: once you get your 9th-level spells, grab a level of Champion and the appropriate feat for an easy, short-duration godmode 1/day.  You can even DCFS a previous feat to Extra Hero Form and do it another 2/day.
Rich has now edited Extra Hero Form to require 2 uses/day already. :p
My work

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 01:20:12 AM »
In that case, it'd still make a good 18th-level feat pick: once you get your 9th-level spells, grab a level of Champion and the appropriate feat for an easy, short-duration godmode 1/day.  You can even DCFS a previous feat to Extra Hero Form and do it another 2/day.
Rich has now edited Extra Hero Form to require 2 uses/day already. :p
I was swordsage'd by RICH BURLEW!?  FML :banghead   :shakefist :fu :pout

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 02:15:05 AM »
Um... You're talking about me or Rich? ???

Talking about you.

If you PAI then nothing is broken (except the new materials). :P

Define "Playing as Intended." Because if it's anything like I imagine even more stuff is broken in that "mode" than whatever you are assuming we all play here.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 03:27:32 AM »
I'm very glad that Rich went back and added 20 new feats for the Champion - it was a class that I thought looked like fun, but the lack of an "Extra Hero Shape" feat option that wasn't homebrewed by myself really annoyed me =P

By the way, I think you guys don't give him enough credit for recognizing the flaws with 3.5 between casters and non-casters.  Take this statement, for example:

Quote from: The Giant;10550202
Totally different scenario; the very premise of the Green Lantern calls for it to be easily passed from one person to the next (or else Hal would never have gotten it in the first place) and for there to be 3600 of them at the same time.

Captain Marvel was chosen by a wizard. A wizard.

In order for the concept of the champion to work, the avatar has to be more powerful than not only the champion, but more powerful than an average warrior-type of the same level. That's what justifies him gaining his power in such small chunks.

For a spellcaster, there's little that I can think to do to make a spellcaster MORE powerful than a standard spellcaster that wouldn't further break them. If you kept the spellcasting half at the same power level as, say, a sorcerer, then there's little reason the player wouldn't just play a regular sorcerer all of the time. If you increased it to the power of a wizard, well, they'd play a wizard instead. And if you increased it beyond the power of a wizard, then you've sailed off into Crazyland.

So, while I could see some sort of more magical variant, I don't think true spellcasting would work. The champion is only balanced precisely because other existing warrior classes are not at the top of the power curve. At best, I think you would have to go with something more reminiscent of the warlock in avatar form (but better) rather than spells.

EDITED to add: Unless you were also nerfing the power of spellcasters in general in your campaign so that they weren't casting greater "I win" spells every day at high levels. Then, a spellcasting version of the champion could work quite well