Author Topic: [3.5 Book] ToB-Style Casters - The Spellshapers (Criticism Wanted)  (Read 22499 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Re: [3.5 Book] ToB-Style Casters - The Spellshapers (Criticism Wanted)
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2011, 12:16:30 AM »
Hm, the Elemental Aura in there seems a bit on the awesome side. I should look more closely at what the actual combat statistics of elementals are at those levels, but I'm currently too tired. Tomorrow!
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

DonQuixote

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »
Hmm, how do replacing a lost companion work?
Just reconstitute from the element in the morning or more involved?

You're right, that's rather strangely vague.  I more or less lifted that text from the druid, so I'll write up something more specific later this week (possibly tonight?).  Edit: This has been done.

Hm, the Elemental Aura in there seems a bit on the awesome side. I should look more closely at what the actual combat statistics of elementals are at those levels, but I'm currently too tired. Tomorrow!

A Small elemental is CR 1, a Medium elemental is CR 3, a Large elemental is CR 5, a Huge elemental is CR 7, and a Greater elemental is CR 9.  Once you get Elemental Aura, your elemental companion is pretty much CR 1/2 your class level.  I figured that putting a slightly improved Dark Companion effect on something of that power wouldn't be woefully unbalanced.  Maybe the extra damage dealt by your formulae and spellshape attacks should be moved to the Greater Elemental Aura and never increased beyond 1 damage/die, but I don't think that the penalty to AC and saves is truly drastic.

The idea was that, instead of falling victim to the usual companion flaw of "either this thing is too weak or you have a second character," an elemental companion would be a slightly weak creature that has value for its class feature effects, rather than for the ability to outclass the party Fighter.  Even when you get to a Greater elemental, it's still only doing two dice of damage with each successful slam attack (except for fire elementals, but the extra dice are fire damage).  Given only two attacks per full attack, it doesn't seem all that overwhelming to me.

Edit: What if, instead of nerfing the elemental aura, we actually weakened the elemental itself?  What if it never advanced past Medium, but all of its stats continued to increase?  This means that it will never get a second slam attack, but its ability to hit things will not be impeded.  As such, your earth elemental would be doing something like 1d8+10 damage at level twenty.  However, you'd want it out there for the Elemental Aura and for the Elemental Strike.  It'd still be able to hit just as well, so not getting Elemental Strike up wouldn't be a problem.  Realistically, the only thing that gets nerfed is the elemental's actual damage output--which we wouldn't really care about being nerfed, since we'd still have a little bonus damage on Elemental Aura.

Update: Elemental companion updated to the model posted in the edit above.  I'll try and get an updated PDF cranked out later tonight.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:02:24 AM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2011, 04:24:57 AM »
The PDF has been updated.

Campaign Notes: So, yesterday was a fairly combat-intensive session that didn't hinge on gimmicks or the villains getting away.  We were just killing a thing, and killing it dead.

I was actually surprised by how important I was for support.  Brilliant Radiance and Inspire Hope are both pretty valuable things to have up, and I had to be aware of remaining durations.  I didn't feel rushed, but having to maintain them was a very real consideration--and this felt good.  It prevented me from getting into a "nuke it 'till it glows" sort of rut, but wasn't so much of a deal that it made me feel like I wasn't contributing to damage.

Damage felt pretty good.  Since I'm a fire-based elemental adept/lavamancer, I don't have unusual effects or penalties to apply, but I make up for it by tearing open creatures with Firestorm.  Felt like a decent trade, and I felt about on par with others in terms of power.

For in-game reasons, I didn't have access to my elemental companion this week, but I should be able to test it next time.

Overall, feels good.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:49:50 PM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2011, 07:42:54 PM »
Two points of order today.

Campaign Notes: With comparison to previous sessions, this week was highly combat-heavy.  We fought two elder demons, one of fire and one of air.  The fire beast was predictably immune to fire.  Devoted Adept would normally allow me to just deal 1/2 damage to him, but the cad also has Absorb Fire on a 1:1 ratio, meaning that I just cancelled out.  However, between the various buffs that I had available and my ability to rebuke his fire elemental minions, I was able to contribute tactically, if not offensively.

The air beast was another matter.  We managed to get a surprise round, which allowed me to get up Inflaming Blast.  A few action points on my next turn allowed me to shape Brilliant Radiance, Scorching Blast, and Firestorm in one round.  With a critical strike from one of my volcanic blasts, I managed to deal a silly amount of damage, with a little burn on the next round.  Given that I needed a surprise round and an extra standard action to pull it off as quickly as I did, I don't think it was woefully overpowered, but we'll see how I perform in the final session.

We did discover a small snag, which I hope to correct soon.  Spellshape attacks don't have descriptors.  Technically, rockslam is therefore not an [Earth] effect.  This is silly, so it shall be corrected.  Update: Descriptors have been added to spellshape attacks.  Updated PDF to come soon.

Codex II: I had for a while toyed with ideas of how to get metamagic-like feats for spellshaping.  The problem is that, without spell slots, how do you control it?  After stumbling on a prestige class, I think I have a system that I can use.  Shaper level checks.  DC 10 + X + (2 x formula level).  If you fail the check, you lose the formula as though you had failed a Concentration check.  Additional penalties may also accompany failure, depending on the effect you are trying to apply, and applying multiple effects to the same formula increases the shaper level check's DC.  Since shaper level is distinct from caster level, precious little cheese exists to abuse this system, and shaper level higher than 22 will probably be unrealistic.  Meaning that the DC of 28 + x to apply something to a 9th-level formula is probably reasonable.

Thoughts?

Edit, 8/2/11: After looking at things I'm going to be putting into Codex II, I think I'm going to revise the "Spellshape Focus" and "Greater Spellshape Focus" feats.  As it is now, they are really only worth taking if you only ever use one spellshape attack.  In keeping with the general trend towards less enforced specialization, these will be uncoupled from Circle Focus and made to apply to all spellshape attacks.  While this does mean that Darkened Ones and Lavamancers will no longer be able to feat-chain to spellshape attacks that deal 9d6 points of damage, I'm pretty sure that it's no real loss.

Update: Spellshape Focus and Greater Spellshape focus have been updated.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:34:20 AM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2011, 12:26:56 AM »
Well, today was the last session of the campaign.  All in all, things went well.  With a scroll of Assay Spell Resistance, I was actually able to get through the god-dragon-emperor's spell resistance, which allowed me to apply my formulae with extreme prejudice.

Also, big news.  Before starting work on Codex II, I will be rewriting roughly thirty formula, including half of the Searing Flame Circle.  The decision to rewrite came from observations during the campaign, some issues that cropped up during planning for metashaping feats, and reflection on the older formulae versus the new.  I have no idea how long the rewriting will take, but I'll hazard a guess at no more than a week.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2011, 12:33:08 AM »
Congratulations on the successful campaign. Are there any changes in particular you're making, or is it mostly general changes to adapt to the metashaping subsystem and balance tweaks?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

DonQuixote

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2011, 04:29:42 AM »
Well, it started as just an attempt to adapt to metashaping--for instance, Firestorm (Searing Flame, 2nd level) was just completely incomprehensible in terms of metashaping.  So were several others, relics of when I had first started writing this stuff and was basically lifting entire abilities from the Book of Nine Swords.

This was exacerbated by the fact that I almost single-handedly killed an air god-beast-demon thing last week.  It failed its save against Inflaming Blast, and I had Brilliant Radiance up.  I landed a critical strike with volcanic blast in a round in which I shaped Scorching Blast and Firestorm.  Ridiculous sums of damage occurred.  At the same time, none of the Crushing Stone formulae had appealed to me enough for me to take them, and I was a lavamancer.  Crushing Stone was one of the two circles that defined my prestige class...yet I had no desire to take its formulae.

So, I decided to start tweaking.  This meant that I read over all the formula descriptions for the original seven circles.  At this point, I paused.  You see, one of my friends had used a Darkened One as the big bad in a one-shot earlier in the week.  And she had been using all sorts of interesting effects.  I had just read through Crushing Stone and Searing Flame, which currently do little other than damage.  So, I went over all seven of the original circles again and started writing down ANYTHING that I didn't think I would actually use.  I arrived at a list of 28, later increased to 38 when I realized that some circles were woefully low on minor formulae--and I was really enjoying having minor formulae in the campaign.

Currently, the numbers on formulae to be changed are as follows:
[spoiler]
1st level
Crushing Stone - 3
Devouring Shadow - 1
Perfect Freeze - 1
Searing Flame - 1
Shocking Current - 1
Unseen Impetus - 1

2nd level
Blustering Gale - 1
Crushing Stone - 1
Deteriorating Corrosion - 2
Devouring Shadow - 1
Roaring Tide - 2
Searing Flame - 3
Unseen Impetus - 1

3rd level
Crushing Stone - 2
Deteriorating Corrosion - 1
Devouring Shadow - 1
Perfect Freeze - 1
Searing Flame - 2
Shocking Current - 1
Unseen Impetus - 1

4th level
Blustering Gale - 1
Crushing Stone - 1
Deteriorating Corrosion - 2
Devouring Shadow - 1
Perfect Freeze - 1
Searing Flame - 2
Shocking Current - 1
Unseen Impetus - 1

5th level
Blustering Gale - 2
Brilliant Dawn - 1
Crushing Stone - 2
Devouring Shadow - 2
Perfect Freeze - 1
Roaring Tide - 2
Searing Flame - 2
Unseen Impetus - 1

6th level
Blustering Gale - 1
Perfect Freeze - 1
Searing Flame - 2
Shocking Current - 1
Unseen Impetus - 1

7th level
Blustering Gale - 1
Crushing Stone - 2
Devouring Shadow - 1
Perfect Freeze - 1
Roaring Tide - 1
Shocking Current - 2
Unseen Impetus - 1

8th level
Blustering Gale - 1
Brilliant Dawn - 1
Crushing Stone - 1
Glimmering Moon - 1
Perfect Freeze - 1
Searing Flame - 1
Shocking Current - 1
Unseen Impetus - 1

9th level
Blustering Gale - 1
Brilliant Dawn - 1
Glimmering Moon - 1
Roaring Tide - 1
Searing Flame - 1
Shocking Current - 1
Unseen Impetus - 1

Totals:
Blustering Gale - 8
Brilliant Dawn - 3
Crushing Stone - 12
Deteriorating Corrosion - 8
Devouring Shadow - 7
Glimmering Moon - 2
Perfect Freeze - 7
Roaring Tide - 6
Searing Flame - 14
Shocking Current - 8
Unseen Impetus - 9
[/spoiler]

Some are small changes--a handful of formulae, for instance, are being changed to minor formulae.  Others are simple replacements of clumsy Tome of Battle theft--Focused Blast and Greater Focused Blast are both gone, for instance.

However, Crushing Stone and Searing Flame are getting pretty heavily changed.  Notable changes to Crushing Stone include being able to force flying creatures downwards, lock creatures in the ground, and turn creatures to stone (and believe me, that last one is hard to justify when the circle is somewhat based on avoiding spell resistance).  Searing Flame is also getting goodies, such as a formula that deals Constitution damage over time, as well as a series of debuff formulae of 2nd, 4th, and 6th level that impose a -2/3/4 penalty on attacks, saves, and checks and deal 1d6/2d6/3d6 points of fire damage to the target whenever it fails an attack or saving throw (this will probably be capped at a certain number of times per round).

I might not be done revising formulae after this pass--it's very possible I'll be taking a look at 8th- and 9th-level formulae at some point in the future--but I figured that it was more important to get the lower levels reworked first.  Many games do not go to level 20, but it is a rare game that starts you at level 15.

Edit: Well, I've actually figured out the stats for everything I'm going to be changing and replacing for now.  Now, I just have to write it all up--fortunately, there's a several-hour plane flight coming up again, so progress may well occur!  Then, I suspect I'll go over all formulae released thus far to seek out the remaining uninteresting ones.  THEN, 8th- and 9th-level formulae will be getting attention.  Some are good (Hello, Vampiric Feast), while others aren't really worth their high-level status (Hello, Cataclysmic Blast).

I really hope to get this done before the end of the summer, for two reasons.  First off, one of my players in my fall campaign will be playing a Spellshape Champion, so I want everything ready for him.  Secondly, I really, really want to get Codex II seriously underway.  I've figured out both of the new base classes I intend to include--though, admittedly, only the anchorite is anywhere near presentable, as the savant isn't actually written up yet--as well as alternative class features for the four base classes of Codex I.  The alternative class features are pretty interesting without being strictly better (I hope), and let you fill interesting character concepts that are currently less-than-perfectly buildable.  For instance, a spellshape champion that restricts herself to only a single circle of formulae gets some nice paladin-like abilities, and an elemental adept who gives up the ability to turn and rebuke elementals--as well as all the later abilities that build off of that--gets an aura related to her chosen element and a dragon shaman's touch of vitality.

Edit Again: Having had figured out what I was going to do with all the formulae I was going to revise, I decided to damn the plan and went ahead and fished out all the uninteresting ones now.  This brings the total up to 84 formulae (the equivalent of four circles) that I'm going to be rewriting.  Fortunately, I've figured out what all but 25 are going to do, so I just have to get around to figuring out those last few, then formally writing them up.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:49:48 AM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2011, 01:35:51 AM »
Had to be moved due to the character limit on posts.

Crushing Stone
[spoiler]

Spellshape Attack: Rockslam
The spellshape attack associated with the Crushing Stone circle is rockslam.  A rockslam is a conjured boulder with a range of 60 feet and the [Earth] descriptor.  It is a ranged attack that affects a single target, dealing 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage.  For every four shaper levels beyond 1st, you deal an additional 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage to the subject, to a maximum of 5d8 at 17th level.
   Unlike the other spellshape attacks, rockslamrockslam (but not when determining how many attacks you can make).  In addition, rockslam is not subject to spell resistance, as it in the force of the boulder, not the magic that forms it, that damages your opponent.  Finally, rockslam counts as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Animated Stone
Crushing Stone (Minor) [Earth]
Level: Elemental adept 1, impulse mage 1, spellsage 1, spellshape champion 1
Shaping Action: 1 swift action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One conjured stone that attacks
Duration: 3 rounds
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You bring into being a tiny animated stone.  The stone flies at a speed of 40 feet (perfect) and attacks any target within its range, as you desire, starting in the round when you shape the formula.  The stone attacks on your turn once each round, striking with an attack bonus equal to your shaper level + your spellshaping ability modifier, and deals 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage, with a critical threat range of 19-20.  If an ally also attacks the creature, the stone moves on your turn to flank the target.  The stone cannot be attacked.
   Each round after the first, you can use a free action to switch the stone to a new target; otherwise, it continues to attack the same target.

Crashing Blow
Level: Elemental adept 7, impulse mage 7, spellsage 7, spellshape champion 7
Prerequisite: Three Crushing Stone formulae
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: End of turn, see text

You shape your earth magic in such a way that you can force flying creatures to fall to the ground.  Until the end of your turn, any flying creature that takes damage from your rockslam attack is forced 120 feet downwards, taking the appropriate damage for the distance fallen if it hits the ground.  A successful Fortitude save reduces this distance to 60 feet.  In addition, a creature with a fly speed that is forced to ground by this effect cannot take to the air again for 5 rounds.
   If you make your rockslam attack as part of a major formula that adds an additional effect to your attack, you may decide whether the effect of Crashing Blow resolves before or after the major formula does.

Crushing Slam
Crushing Stone (Major)
Level: Elemental adept 5, impulse mage 5, spellsage 5, spellshape champion 5
Prerequisite: Two Crushing Stone formulae
Shaping Action: 1 standard action
Range: Rockslam attack
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Spell Resistance: As spellshape

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 7d8 points of damage.  If it hits, your target is knocked prone and immobilized for 1 round.
   If your target is in the air when affected by this formula, it is not knocked prone, though it still takes the extra damage from the rockslam attack and it is still immobilized for 1 round.

Demolishing Blow
Crushing Stone (Minor)
Level: Elemental adept 3, impulse mage 3, spellsage 3, spellshape champion 3
Prerequisite: One Crushing Stone formula
Duration: End of turn

Your connection to stone and earth allows you to spot flaws in objects with uncanny precision.  Until the end of your turn, your rockslam attack deals an extra 4d8 points of damage to objects and constructs.

Earthbreaker
Crushing Stone (Major) [Earth]
Level: Elemental adept 2, impulse mage 2, spellsage 2, spellshape champion 2
Area: 10-foot-radius spread, centered on target
Saving Throw: Reflex negates

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a rockslam attack that deals an extra 2d8 points of damage.  If it hits, the ground fractures and cracks in a 10-foot-radius spread centered on your target, becoming difficult terrain.  In addition, your target must make a Fortitude save or be immobilized for 1 round.  Though the immobilization ends after 1 round, the difficult terrain is permanent and does not move with the target.
   If your target is in the air when affected by this formula, no difficult terrain is created.  However, you still deal extra damage, and your target must still make a Fortitude save or be immobilized.

Earth Tremor
Area: 15-ft.-radius spread, centered on target
Saving Throw: See text

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 3d8 points of damage.  If it hits, your attack causes a minor tremor to course through the ground around your target.
   This minor quake is not enough to damage structures, but each creature in the area must make a Reflex save each round or be knocked prone; moreover, even on a successful save, a creature can only move at half speed unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Balance check.  Any spellcaster on the ground in the area must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose any spell she is casting.  A creature attempting to use a skill that would provoke attacks of opportunity (such as Disable Device, Heal, Open Lock, and Use Rope, among others) must similarly succeed on a DC 15 Concentration check, or the action automatically fails and is wasted.
   If your target is in the air when affected by this formula, no difficult terrain is created.  However, you still deal extra damage with your attack, and the seismic force of the blow causes your target's maneuverability to worsen by two steps for 3 rounds.

Fist of the Mountain
Crushing Stone (Major)
Level: Elemental adept 6, impulse mage 6, spellsage 6, spellshape champion 6
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text

As a part of shaping this maneuver, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 8d8 points of damage.  If your attack hits, your target is overwhelmed by the force of the blow and is stunned for 1d4+1 rounds.  If the subject makes a successful Fortitude save, it is stunned for only 1 round.

Flesh of Stone
Crushing Stone (Minor)
Duration: 5 rounds
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)

This formula causes you or one of your allies to gain the stability and endurance of stone, making you more difficult to harm.  An affected creature gains DR 5/-, a natural armor bonus equal to your spellshaping ability modifier, and a +8 bonus on grapple checks and ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

Grasp of Earth
Effect: Animated earthen arm

You create an arm made of dense, compacted earth or soil that can grapple your foes.  Treat the arm as a Medium creature, with a base attack bonus equal to your shaper level and a Strength of 14 +2 per three shaper levels (16 at 3rd level, 18 at 6th level, and so on).  The arm can drag itself along the ground at a speed of 10 feet if you take a move action to command it, and can make one grapple attempt per round against any creature in its square or in any adjacent square (pulling the grappled creature into its space).  Doing so does not provoke attacks of opportunity.  If the arm can target multiple creatures, you choose one.  If you are unable to choose a target, the arm attacks a random creature within reach (possibly including your allies).  Each round when it successfully pins a target, the hand deals lethal damage equal to 1d8 points + its Strength modifier.
   The earthen arm has AC 15, hardness 4, and 3 hit points per shaper level.  If reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, it crumbles to dust.

Grasp of Stone
Level: Elemental adept 4, impulse mage 4, spellsage 4, spellshape champion 4
Effect: Animated stone arm
Duration: 4 rounds

This formula functions like Grasp of Earth, except as noted here.  The stone arm is treated as a Large creature with a Strength of 16 +1 per shaper level (17 at 1st level, 18 at 2nd level, and so on) and a movement speed of 20 feet. Each round that it successfully pins a target, a stone arm deals lethal damage equal to 2d8 points + its Strength modifier.  Finally, the stone arm has AC 20, hardness 8, and 4 hit points per shaper level.

Grounding Blow

You shape your earth magic in such a way that you can force flying creatures to the ground.  Until the end of your turn, any flying creature that takes damage from your rockslam attack is forced 20 feet downwards, taking the appropriate damage for the distance fallen if it hits the ground.  A successful Fortitude save reduces this distance to 10 feet.  In addition, a creature with a fly speed that is forced to ground by this effect cannot take to the air again for 3 rounds.
   If you make your rockslam attack as part of a major formula that adds an additional effect to your attack, you may decide whether the effect of Grounding Blow resolves before or after the major formula does.

Metamorphic Petrification
Level: Elemental adept 8, impulse mage 8, spellsage 8, spellshape champion 8
Prerequisite: Four Crushing Stone formulae
Duration: 8 rounds
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 7d8 points of damage.  If it hits, the rockslam attack fragments and forms a thin layer of stone around the creature, which exerts massive heat and pressure upon the creature within it, incorporating it into a formation of metamorphic rock.  An affected creature must make a Fortitude save each round for the duration of the formula or take a cumulative 10-foot penalty to all its speeds and a -2 penalty to Strength.  If the target's speed drops to 0 feet, it cannot move.  If the target fails four or more saves, it permanently transforms into a stone statue as if affected by flesh to stone.  Any effect or spell that reverses flesh to stone also cures this condition.  If the target does not fail four or more saves, the stacking penalties fade when the formula's duration ends.
   If your target is in the air when affected by this formula, it is affected normally.  However, if the creature turns to stone while in the air, it will lose the ability to fly and may shatter upon crashing to the ground.

Overwhelming Slam
Crushing Stone (Minor)
Duration: End of turn

You wield your earthen creations with terrifying prowess.  Until the end of your turn, any creature that takes damage from your rockslam attack must make a Will save or become shaken for 1d4+1 rounds.

Plummeting Blow

You shape your earth magic in such a way that you can force flying creatures to fall to the ground.  Until the end of your turn, any flying creature that takes damage from your rockslam attack is forced 60 feet downwards, taking the appropriate damage for the distance fallen if it hits the ground.  A successful Fortitude save reduces this distance to 30 feet.  In addition, a creature with a fly speed that is forced to ground by this effect cannot take to the air again for 4 rounds.
   If you make your rockslam attack as part of a major formula that adds an additional effect to your attack, you may decide whether the effect of Plummeting Blow resolves before or after the major formula does.

Rock Tomb
Level: Elemental adept 6, impulse mage 6, spellsage 6, spellshape champion 6

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 6d8 points of damage.  If it hits, your target must make a Reflex save or be trapped in an airtight mass of stone that forms around it.  The stone is 2 inches thick, has hardness 8, and requires 30 points of damage to break through.  Decreasing its size does not change the thickness of the walls; the tomb is always just large enough to hold the subject.  This stone is sealed upon formation and completely impervious to air and gas.  A creature trapped within a rock tomb immediately begins to suffocate per the drowning rules (DMG 304).  A creature that has no need to breathe (such as a construct, elemental, or undead) needs not fear suffocation, but remains trapped within the tomb until it breaks free or is freed.
   A creature within the tomb can attack the stone with a natural weapon or light melee weapon.  A creature can attempt a DC 26 Strength check to break free of the stone, and allies can also help to break the trapped creature free.
   If your target is in the air when affected by this formula, it is affected normally.  However, the creature can no longer fly under its own power and begins to fall.  The rock tomb, not the creature inside it, takes any falling damage that thereby occurs, and may break as a result.

Seismic Surge
Level: Elemental adept 7, impulse mage 7, spellsage 7, spellshape champion 7
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread, centered on target

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 10d8 points of damage.  If it hits, your attack causes a major tremor to course through the ground around your target.  The force of this tremor rips up the ground in the area, causing it to become difficult terrain.  Once generated, this difficult terrain is permanent and does not move.  In addition, each creature in the area must make a Reflex save or be knocked prone and dazed for 2 rounds.  Even on a successful save, a creature is shaken for 2d4 rounds.
   If your target is in the air when affected by this formula, the tremor does not take effect and the difficult terrain is not created.  However, you still deal extra damage with your attack, and the force of the seismic surge overwhelms the creature's senses, causing it to become confused for 2 rounds unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save.  Even on a successful save, a flying creature targeted by this formula is shaken for 2d4 rounds.

Staggering Slam
Crushing Stone (Major)
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

As part of shaping this formula, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 6d8 points of damage.  In addition, your attack also causes the target to lose its ability to take a move action or full attack for 1 round.  It can otherwise act normally.  A successful Fortitude save by the creature struck negates the loss of its move action, but not the extra damage.

Stonefall

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 1d8 points of damage.  If it hits, your target must make a Reflex save or fall prone.

Swallowing Earth
Crushing Stone (Major)
Area: 15-ft.-radius spread, centered on target
Saving Throw: Reflex negates, see text

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 6d8 points of damage.  If it hits, the ground in a 15-foot-radius spread centered on your target softens, causing creatures standing on the ground to sink into it, imposing a -2 penalty on attack rolls and Armor Class.  The ground then hardens to stone, trapping creatures in place.  Creatures in the area are allowed Reflex saves to escape before the area hardens back to stone.  If a creature fails its save, it is entangled and can't move.  It is not considered helpless, however, and it can break out by damaging the stone or making a Strength check to break free.  The stone has hardness 8 and 120 hit points, and has a break DC of 26.  The area of swallowing earth does not move, even if the creature on which it was originally centered does.  After 5 rounds, the ground looses slightly, allowing creatures trapped within it to extricate themselves with a move action, as if standing up from prone.
   If your target is in the air when affected by this formula, the ground beneath it does not soften and harden.  It still takes the extra damage from your rockslam attack, however, and it must instead make a Fortitude save or become entangled for 5 rounds.

Tooth of the Earth
Prerequisite: One Crushing Stone formulae
Saving Throw: Reflex half

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 2d8 points of damage.  If it hits, a stalagmite bursts through the earth and impales your foe, reaching 10 feet into the air.  An airborne creature within 10 feet of the ground gains a +4 bonus on its saving throw against this effect, and an airborne creature more than 10 feet above the ground cannot be harmed by the stalagmite (though it still takes the extra damage from the rockslam attack).
   The stalagmite deals 1d8 points of piercing damage per shaper level (maximum 10d8).  In addition, a target that fails to make its saving throw against the formula and takes full damage from the stalagmite is impaled upon it and cannot move from its current location until it makes a DC 15 Escape Artist check.  The stalagmite can be removed in other ways as well, such as with a stone shape spell.  The victim can also break free with a DC 25 Strength check, although doing so deals 3d8 points of slashing damage to it.

Wrath of Stone
Level: Elemental adept 9, impulse mage 9, spellsage 9, spellshape champion 9
Prerequisite: Five Crushing Stone formulae

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a single rockslam attack that deals an extra 17d8 points of damage and automatically overcomes damage reduction and hardness.  In addition, if it hits, your attack shatters the ground beneath your foe.  The ground within 20 ft. of your target becomes difficult terrain that requires 2 squares of movement to enter.  In addition, the force of this attack causes the ground within 40 feet of the impact to shake uncontrollably.  All creatures in the area, including your target, must make Reflex saves or be knocked prone and stunned for 1d4 rounds.  A successful save prevents a creature from being knocked prone, but it is still stunned for 1 round.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:30:41 PM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2011, 01:38:18 AM »
Well, I finished the rewrites on Crushing Stone and Searing Flame.  Just sixty-three more formulae to rewrite!

I was going to keep track of exactly which formulae were changed, but then I realized that it would be somewhat silly.  I changed or rewrote about three quarters of each circle.  Both circles are pretty much entirely redone, so just look at them as new right now.  I will be keeping track of what changes I make in other circles, so when there are only three or four changes in a circle, I'll tell you what they are.

After finishing this last pass on the Codex I formulae, I'm planning to give feats a look-over, then prestige classes, and then base classes.  After satisfying myself that everything is pretty much in place (barring feedback from playtesting that tells me that I'm wrong), I will begin work on Codex II.

Typo Patrol: Fixed the double listing of Demolishing Blow.  Curse my laziness in deciding to copy and paste the pre-formatted structures so that I would not have to forum tag everything all over again!

Edits: Made some changes to Crushing Stone based on Bauglir's feedback, though I haven't yet decided exactly how to handle rockslam's attack bonus.

Progress Updates, 8/11/11: Well, it's taking a little longer to revamp the other circles.  I have fourteen more formulae to come up with--nine of which are 8th or 9th level--and then I have to write up the actual text for the sixty-three formulae I'm changing.  The actual writing shouldn't take too long, though, and then it's the final material pass!  Probable changes:

Classes: Elemental adept "Devoted Adept" and "Devoted Master" class features changed to help with overcoming damage reduction and hardness.  Spellshape champion recovery mechanic changed so that they cannot spam the same formulae every round.

Feats: The "Elemental Command" line of feats to be cleaned up.  Some feats intended for Codex II may be added, depending on space.

System: Rules regarding formulae tweaked such that you can only have one instance of a given formula active at one time.  Formulae and spellshape attacks definitively stated to benefit from feats and effects as weaponlike spells.  Shaper level clarified to benefit from caster level increases ONLY for the purpose of overcoming spell resistance.

Prestige Classes: Archmage of the Tower Conclave, Chaos Shaper, and Elemental Channeler possibly revamped in order to match recent changes to other prestige classes.  Available circles for all prestige classes brought in line with recent changes to available circles.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:06:17 PM by DonQuixote »

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2011, 02:30:38 AM »
You've got Demolishing Blow listed twice. The second time is between Fist of the Mountain and Grasp of Earth and is definitely misnamed. Looks like its supposed to be Flesh of Stone, and the table has it at 5th level instead of 3rd.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2011, 11:07:10 PM »
Couple of thoughts on Crushing Stone.

First of all, I think +Shaper Level to rockslam is rather on the high side. I'd recommend finding a more elegant way of getting them to be competitive than a free bonus that gives them a better attack bonus than the people whose class features are dedicated to getting a high attack bonus.

Animated Stone is way too good for a 1st level formula. It comes to 5d8+5xmodifier damage with an expanded threat range, and it can flank (later on, this becomes the most attractive part of it). As a Swift action, this is too good, although being spread out does help a lot and requiring an attack for each die of damage also helps.

Formulae such as Earthbreaker, that have an area of effect and a non-Instantaneous duration, technically move along with a moving target. This may be intentional, but it seems weird, so I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

I think Swallowing Surge was meant to have a break DC of 26, rather than 36 (which is so unimaginably high that it might not even be written in; for reference, the Tarrasque has +17, meaning it would still need a 19 to make that).
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

DonQuixote

« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2011, 09:26:58 PM »
All righty, it looks like I've plotted out the changes for the remaining circles.  I basically went through and found formulae that didn't quite fit or felt awkward--as well as formulae that would be blatantly incompatible with metashaping and other things--and either tweaked or replaced them.  I haven't had time yet to formally write up the changes, but I do have a summary.  (Note: The listed changes are tentative and may well be changed during the actual process of writing.  If something sounds silly, it's probably something that I'll catch.)

Edit: Devouring Shadow has been updated.  I have also discovered my first stupid mistake: My idea for the new 8th-level Glimmering Moon formula is almost identical to Mindrot, which I had--for some reason--not looked at recently. So, either I'll come up with a new 8th-level Glimmering Moon, or Mindrot will be changed.  Haven't yet decided.  I went ahead and changed Mindrot to 2d4 Intelligence damage and a -4 penalty on saves.  Feels more like a rotting mind, anyway.

Update: Glimmering Moon updated.

7:15 PM, 8/12/11: Brilliant Dawn updated.  A few things changed in its updates, especially Scintillating Mirage (which changed completely).

11:32 PM, 8/13/11: Perfect Freeze updated.  Only forty-three more formulae left to change!

1:40 AM, 8/14/11: Blustering Gale updated.  I'm beginning to think I'm going to change lashing zephyr, rockslam, thornspike, and surging jet to just use your shaper level in place of your base attack bonus.  Given that Dexterity is your secondary stat, it should make a +30 attack bonus almost a given at level 20, without spellshapers being able to simply laugh at full base attack bonus classes.  Also, only thirty-three formula revisions left to write!

10:33 PM, 8/14/11: Deteriorating Corrosion updated.  I can only hope that someone will look over the changes at some point in order to ensure that my inability to distinguish balance points doesn't taint the material too much.

11:48 PM, 8/14/11: Roaring Tide updated.  Nineteen more formulae--from the two last circles--left to update.

10:34 PM, 8/15/11: Shocking Current updated.  I've been working a little slower today, as I've been toying with a completely unrelated base class.  However, that's not important!  Only one circle left to revise!

11:56 PM, 8/15/11: Unseen Impetus updated.  Tomorrow (hopefully), I clean up the physical-damage spellshape attacks and fix up Elemental Adept and Spellshape Champion.

Blustering Gale
[spoiler]
2nd Level
Gustwall changed to:
Minor - duration decreased

4th Level
Windstorm replaced with:
Jetstream
Minor - You and all allies within 60 feet can move up to 10 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity

5th Level
Heart of the Storm replaced with:
Touch of the Winds
Minor - You or an ally surrounded by winds that provide 50% miss chance, +20-foot enhancement bonus to all speeds

Tornado Blast changed to:
Deal +5d8 damage, target is caught in whirlwind (see air elemental)

6th Level
Lashing Squall changed to:
Corrected to read "lashing zephyr," rather than "rockslam"

Windform Ally changed to:
Minor - Cannot have it attack immediately

7th Level
Denying Wind changed to:
Deal +8d8 damage, target cannot breathe

Winds of Change changed to:
Minor - You and all allies within 60 feet can move up to 20 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity

8th Level
Blessing of the Sky changed to:
Minor formula

9th Level
Call Tempest changed to:
10-foot radius tornado, "Near the Tornado" is within 30 feet of the center, all variables in terms of feet reduced to half as many dice (minimum 1d4)
[/spoiler]

Brilliant Dawn
[spoiler]
5th Level
Light of the Sun changed to:
Deal +5d6, effect centered on attack

8th Level
Scintillating Mirage changed to:
Deal +8d6, effect centered on target.

9th Level
Solar Blast changed to:
Deal +15d6, target must save or take effect of Greater Bestow Curse (8 rounds)
[/spoiler]

Deteriorating Corrosion
[spoiler]
2nd Level
Corrosive Mantle changed to:
Deal +1d6 damage, target is coated in acid that damages it

Acrid Pool changed to:
Deal +2d6 damage, pool centered on target.

3rd Level
Venomous Air changed to:
Minor - Your caustic spray creates a 10-foot-radius emanation, centered on target.  Creatures in area must Fort save or be sickened for 1 round and take -2 to AC.

4th Level
Caustic Blood changed to:
Attach to caustic spray.  Deals +4d6 damage and applies effect.  Each round allows a save.

Corrosive Sludge changed to:
Deal +3d6, sludge centered on target.

5th Level
Debilitating Spatter changed to:
-3 penalty on attacks and AC

6th Level
Penetrating Vitriol changed to:
Corrosive Magic
Applies to all spellshape attacks

7th Level
Gush of Venom replaced by:
Caustic Venom
Deal +10d6, target is stunned for 1d4 rounds and takes 2d6 damage per round for 4 rounds

8th Level
Cloud of Corrosion replaced by:
Corrode Defenses
Deal +12d6, target loses damage reduction, energy resistance, energy immunities, regeneration, spell resistance for 3 rounds
[/spoiler]

Devouring Shadow
[spoiler]
1st Level
Terrorize changed to:
Minor - Targets of your withering hand flee for 1 round

2nd Level
Degenerative Necrosis changed to:
Deal +1d6 damage, effect applied

3rd Level
Crippling Plague changed to:
Deal +3d6 damage with withering hand, effect applied

4th Level
Horrify changed to:
Deal +5d6 damage, target flees for 4 rounds

5th Level
Gangrenous Touch changed to:
Damage increase dropped to +7d6

Rotting Stench replaced by:
Wracking Pain
Deal +6d6 damage, target helpless for 1d4 rounds, then takes -2 penalty on [Hexblade Curse stuff] for 1 round.

7th Level
Petrifying Gaze changed to:
Minor - Only one target
[/spoiler]

Glimmering Moon
[spoiler]
8th Level
Lycanthropic Surge replaced by:
Surge of Madness
Deal +12d6, target must make Will save or go mad.  Can take a move action to spread the madness to any creature within 15 feet of subject or to change the type of madness.  Lasts 8 rounds.  Choose which of the following conditions to inflict upon a creature:
   Hysteria: The subject falls into fits of uncontrollable laughing or crying (equal chance for either).  This hysteria affects a creature as though it were nauseated; it is unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention.  The only action a subject can take is a single move action per turn.
   Panic: The subject becomes panicked.  If cornered, a panicked creature cowers.
   Violent Hallucinations: The subject perceives any nearby creatures as dangerous enemies, attacking the nearest ones and fighting until the subjects are slain or until no more creatures are in sight.
   Stupor: The subject curls up on the floor and remains oblivious to events around it.  A creature in a stupor is effectively stunned and prone.

9th Level
Eclipse Flare changed to:
Deal +10d6, target is maddened and its mind and body decay over time, can spread
[/spoiler]

Perfect Freeze
[spoiler]
1st Level
Ice Glaze changed to:
Deal +1d6 damage, ice forms around them.

3rd Level
Breath of Frost replaced by:
Crystal Frost
Deal +2d6 damage, target takes 1d6 damage per round and has a 20% miss chance on attacks

4th Level
Icicle Fall replaced by:
Mindfreeze
Deal +4d6 damage, target takes 1d4 points of Intelligence damage and delays until next round.

5th Level
Whiteout Fog replaced by:
Forced Hibernation
Deal +7d6, target must save or go into hibernation

6th Level
Avalanche Wave replaced by:
Embrace of the Blizzard
Deal +8d6, target takes -4 Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution.

7th Level
Winter's Chill changed to:
Minor - Targets of your frostray must make a Fortitude save or become exhausted

8th Level
Ice Spikes replaced by:
Frozen Haze
Deal +10d6 damage, target surrounded by aura of frost that slows creatures, deals damage, and fatigues/exhausts creatures.

9th Level
Icy Manipulation changed to:
Specify that penalties lift at end of formula's duration
[/spoiler]

Roaring Tide
[spoiler]
2nd Level
Rainstorm changed to:
Minor - Reduced to Medium range, 40-foot radius, 5 rounds

Surging Deluge replaced by:
Billowing Fog
Deal +2d8 damage, target surrounded by a fogbank

3rd Level
Jet of Steam replaced with:
Cleansing Water
Minor - Functions as Iron Heart Surge (only better defined and clarified)

5th Level
Breaking Swell replaced by:
Tidal Currents
Minor - Targets of your surging jet become nauseated and fatigued

7th Level
Cyclone of Waters replaced by:
Cleansing Stream
Minor - As Cleansing Waters, but affects all allies within 20 feet
[/spoiler]

Shocking Current
[spoiler]
1st Level
Forked Lightning replaced with:
Jolting Lightning
Deal +1d6 damage, target is confused for 1 round

3rd Level
Chains of Lightning changed to:
Deal +2d6 damage, burst centered on target

Conductivity Surge replaced with:
Minor - For 5 rounds, your spellshape attacks are not subject to miss chance from spells, supernatural abilities, or concealment

4th Level
Electrostatic Discharge changed to:
Deal +4d6 damage, line of electricity arcs from target to another target

6th Level
Sudden Storm replaced by:
Storm Leap
Minor - Teleport up to 50 ft. as a swift action

Voltaic Chain replaced by:
Voltaic Surge
Deal +8d6, target paralyzed, then dazed, then shaken

7th Level
Electrostatic Field changed to:
Minor - Adjust area, duration

Thunderstorm replaced with:
Crackling Charge
Deal +10d6 damage, target takes 2d6 per round, can take move action to cause arc to hit them or other creature within 30 feet

8th Level
Sparkstorm changed to:
Deal +10d6 damage, attack spawns 5 balls of electricity that you control.

9th Level
Surging Fulmination changed to:
Deal +10d6, target paralyzed, then stunned, then dazed, then dazzled.  Target must also save or be blinded.  Attack creates thunder that deals 10d6 sonic, creatures in area must save or be deafened and take -4 penalty to AC, attack rolls.
[/spoiler]

Unseen Impetus
[spoiler]
1st Level
Manipulate Weapon changed to:
Deal +1d4 damage, weapon strikes wielder

2nd Level
Shove changed to:
Minor - Attached to kinetic blast

3rd Level
Focused Blast replaced with:
Counterforce
Deal +4d4 damage, target must save or take -3 penalty on attack rolls, AC, Reflex saves

4th Level
Forcesling replaced with:
Impeding Impetus
Minor - Targets of your kinetic blast move at half speed for 3 rounds

5th Level
Forceshield changed to:
Minor - Can be applied to others

6th Level
Greater Focused Blast replaced with:
Unseen Shackles
Deal +7d4 damage, target must save or be immobilized and take -5 on attack rolls, AC, Reflex saves.

7th Level
Dissipate changed to:
Minor - Adjust duration

8th Level
Imprisoning Force changed to:
Deal +14d4, imprisonment effect centered on target, radius increased to 15 ft., damage removed

9th Level
Concussive Force changed to:
Extra damage changed to d4s, target must save or paralyzed (dazed for 1 round on successful save), creatures in line must save or dazed for 1 round.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:57:01 AM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2011, 12:27:39 AM »
All righty, all circles have been updated and Elemental Adept and Spellshape Champion have been slightly fine-tuned.  Now, time to tackle feats, the system, and prestige classes.

Update: The "____'s Command" feats were collapsed into a single feat that lets you spend rebuke attempts in order to cast spells with elemental descriptors.  The price is currently at twice the spell's level, which I'm hoping de-powers it enough.  If it's too easily exploited, the idea will be scrapped.

Meanwhile, a few of the feats I had sketched out for Codex II have been slipped in.  While spellshape attacks ARE weapon-like spells and therefore would be able to get similar benefits from existing feats, I felt that the minor effort required for slightly more specificity is probably worth it, from a playability standpoint.

Update Again: The system's been tidied up a bit.  It is now specified that increases to caster level apply for the purpose of overcoming spell resistance, but ONLY for the purpose of overcoming spell resistance.  Similarly, spellshape attacks have been explicitly defined as weaponlike spells.

The one actual change that was made was my decision to prevent horrible shenanigans with some of the more powerful formulae:

Unless noted otherwise in the formula’s description, you can have only one instance of a given major formula in effect at one time.  If you shape a formula a second time while an earlier instance of the same formula is still in effect, the older effect ends immediately when you finish shaping.  This restriction applies only to your own formulae, and multiple spellshapers can each have an instance of the same formula in effect at the same time.

I feel that this is necessary to prevent exploitation, as some of the longer-duration formulae could wreak havoc if you could put them up multiple times.  I'm picturing an elemental adept shaping Ashen Pyre every other turn, and I'm saying that such things should not happen.

With the system tidied away, the last thing I have to do before moving on to Codex II is to look at archmage of the Tower Conclave, chaos shaper, and elemental channeler.  I feel like the archmage of the Tower Conclave is probably going to be mostly fine--it advances spellcasting, after all--while the other two might be a little lacking.  I know that chaos shaper needs a little bit more chaos, but I'm not sure about elemental channeler.  We shall see!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:58:33 PM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2011, 04:14:09 AM »
Elemental Channeler
[spoiler]
Becoming an Elemental Channeler
Most spellshapers who follow the path of the elemental channeler begin as elemental adepts, already devoted to an element.  However, impulse mages, spellsages, and spellshape champions are just as able to advance in this class, though spellsages are unlikely to be willing to restrict themselves to just one circle.

Entry Requirements
   Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks
   Language: Must be able to speak the language associated with your chosen element (Auran, Aquan, Ignan, or Terran).
   Feats: Circle Focus in a circle associated with your chosen element*
   Arcane Formulae: Must know at least three formulae of your chosen circle.
   * New feat described in Chapter 2.

Class Features
All the following are class features of the elemental channeler.

Formulae: At each level, you gain a new formula known from either of your chosen circles (see below).  In addition to meeting the formula's prerequisite, your spellshaping ability score must be equal to at least 10 + the formula's level in order to learn it.  You add your full elemental channeler levels to your shaper level to determine your total shaper level and your highest-level formulae known.
   At each odd-numbered level, you gain an additional formula prepared per day.

Elemental Oath: Upon entering this class, you take an oath to one of the four elements: air, earth, fire, or water.  This oath determines the two circles from which you will learn formulae, the type of elemental beasts you can transform into using your elemental shape ability, and the powers that you gain as you advance.  Air is associated with the Blustering Gale and Shocking Current circles, earth is associated with the Crushing Stone and Deteriorating Corrosion circles, fire is associated with the Searing Flame and Brilliant Dawn circles, and water is associated with the Roaring Tide and Perfect Freeze circles.

Elemental Shape (Su): At 1st level, you gain the ability to transform into a Small or Medium animal made from your chosen element.  This ability functions like the druid's wild shape ability (see page 37 of the Player's HandbookMinor Manifestation (Su): Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to manifest your connection to your chosen element when you take upon an elemental shape.  While transformed, you gain one of the following abilities, depending on your chosen element.

Air: While in an air form, your body is semi-gaseous, making you more difficult to see and hit.  While you are in this state, all attacks made against you have a 20% miss chance.  This miss chance is not negated by effects that ignore concealment.

Earth: While in an earth form, your body is made of solid stone, improving your natural armor bonus to AC by 3.  Because this ability improves your natural armor, effects that provide an enhancement bonus to natural armor (such as a barkskin spell) stack with this ability.

Fire: While in a fire form, your body is composed of flames that sear your foes.  While you are transformed, any creature striking you with a natural weapon, unarmed strike, or metallic weapon takes 1d6 points of damage.  Creatures wielding reach weapons, such as longspears, do not take this damage.

Water: While you are in a water form, your body is composed of fluid water that grants you damage reduction 5/piercing.

Lesser Manifestation (Su): At 2nd level and higher, when you adopt an elemental shape, your new form gains the traits of an elemental of your chosen element.

Air: While in an air shape, your attacks are empowered with howling wind that can flatten your foes.  Whenever you hit with your form's primary natural attack, you can attempt to trip your target as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity.  If the attempt fails, your opponent cannot react to trip you.

Earth: While in an earth shape, your body carries the weight and force of stone, allowing you to push your enemies backwards.  Whenever you hit with your form's primary natural attack, you can start a bull rush maneuver without provoking an attack of opportunity.  You still must move into your opponent's square, and you still suffer the normal consequences if you fail the Strength check.

Fire: While in a fire shape, your attacks deal an extra 1d6 points of fire damage.  In addition, any creature hit by one of your natural attacks must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + your class level + your spellshaping ability modifier) or catch on fire.  The fire burns for 1d4 rounds, though a burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame.  Creatures hitting you with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by one of your natural attacks, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save.

Water: While in a water shape, your touch puts out torches, campfires, exposed lanterns, and other open flames of nonmagical origin if these are of Large size or smaller.  You can also attempt to dispel magical fire you touch as if by the dispel magic spell, with a caster level equal to your shaper level.
   In addition, any creature hit by one of your natural attacks must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your class level + your spellshaping ability modifier) or become sickened for 1d4 rounds.  Multiple applications of this ability do not stack; use only the longer duration.

Strengthening Oath (Su): Your increasing power allows you to strengthen your oath with your chosen element.  Starting at 3rd level, when you shape spellshape attacks and arcane formulae associated with your chosen element (including those channeled through an elemental shape's natural attack), they ignore the damage reduction and energy resistance of creatures affected by them, and they still deal half damage to creatures with immunity to their damage types.

Greater Manifestation (Su): When you reach 4th level, you learn to transform into forms that are shaped entirely from your chosen element.

Air: While in an air shape, you do not need to breathe and are immune to inhaled diseases and poisons.  In addition, you gain the ability to deflect ranged attacks as if you had the Deflect Arrows feat, except that you can deflect a number of attacks per round equal to your Dexterity modifier (minimum 1).

Earth: While in an earth shape, you gain tremorsense out to 60 feet.  In addition, whenever you fail a Reflex or Will saving throw against an effect that deals damage, you take half damage if you succeed on a Fortitude saving throw against the same DC.  This additional saving throw affects only damage, not any other conditions that might apply from failing the original save.

Fire: While in a fire shape, you illuminate the area around you like a torch.  This effect is treated as a light spell of a level equal to half your shaper level for the purpose of countering darkness spells, and you can suppress or resume it as a free action.  In addition, once per round as a free action, you can fix your fiery gaze upon a creature, causing it to take 1d6 points of fire damage.

Water: While in a water shape, you gain immunity to all effects that cause dehydration, including the horrid wilting spell, and can breathe water as though under the effect of water breathing.  In addition, your control over your watery form allows you to flow around attacks, flatten yourself against the ground to avoid a blast, and so forth.  Any spell or effect that allows a Reflex save for half damage has a 50% chance to have no effect on you.

Quickchange (Ex): As you grow more accustomed to changing shapes, you gain the ability to do so more readily.  At 4th level, you can change into an elemental form as a move action rather than as a standard action.  At 8th level, you can change shapes as a free action.

Elemental Movement (Su): When you reach 5th level, you gain a special movement property based on your chosen element when you take on an elemental shape.

Air: While in an air form, you can fly at a speed of 20 feet with perfect maneuverability.

Earth: While in an earth form, you gain the ability to glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water.  This functions like an earth elemental's earth glide ability (see page 98 of the Monster Manual).

Fire: While in a fire form, your form's base land speed increases by 30 feet.  This benefit stacks with all other speed increases.

Water: While in a water form, you gain the ability move through the earth, walls, and other obstacles.  You move at normal speed through terrain that slows movement and can move through permeable objects at half speed.  However, you cannot move through completely solid barriers.  For example, you could flow through a wooden or brick wall by squeezing into cracks and channels, but you could not move through a wall of solid iron or rock.  If you end your movement completely within an object, opponents do not have line of sight or line of effect to you and your reach drops to 0 feet.
   In addition, you gain a swim speed of 30 feet and can move about in water as if under the effect of a freedom of movement spell.

Attuned Shape (Ex): When you adopt an elemental body, you can draw on its power to strengthen your magical attacks.  Starting at 6th level, whenever you shape an arcane formula while in a corresponding elemental form, you gain a +2 competence bonus to your shaper level, and the save DC (if any) against that formula's effects is increased by 2.  This increase stacks with any other effects that increase the save DC of your formulae.  In addition, when channeling a spellshape attack through your form's natural weapons, you deal an extra die of damage of the size and type normally dealt by the spellshape attack in question.

Major Manifestation (Su): At 7th level, you master the ability to draw upon your elemental connection for power and can manifest a major aspect of your element when taking an elemental shape.

Air: While in an air form, you can take a standard action to release a tremendous surge of storm-strength winds in a 30-foot radius burst centered on you.  A creature within this area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 10 + class level + your spellshaping ability modifier) or be pushed up to 20 feet in a direction of your choice.  A creature can choose to fail this save voluntarily, and you can choose to affect some creatures within the area while ignoring others.  You can push a creature to a location outside the area of this effect, but the pushed creature can't end up in another creature's or object's space.
   A creature takes a -4 penalty on this save per size category below Medium.  Bigger creatures gain a +4 bonus per size category above Medium.

Earth: While in an earth form, you can shake the ground around you in a small earthquake.  Once every 5 rounds, you can take a standard action to create a tremor that lasts for 1d6 rounds.  Every creature touching the ground in a 30-foot-radius around you must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + class level + your spellshaping ability modifier) each round at the beginning of its turn or fall prone.  In addition, all creatures in the affected area are considered to be engaged in violent motion for the purpose of Concentration checks.
   The area of this tremor does not move with you, and you are immune to all its effects.  You may only use this ability while you are standing on the ground.

Fire: While in a fire form, you can take a swift action once every 3 rounds to infuse your burning essence into any two adjacent squares, causing them to explode into molten flame for 1 minute.  Molten squares cost 2 squares of movement to enter, and creatures can't run or charge across them.  Any creature passing through a molten square takes 2d6 points of fire damage.
   If 10 or more points of cold damage are directed at a molten square, it returns to normal.  Affected squares cool immediately when the effect ends, but they retain a blasted and burned appearance.

Water: While in a water form, you can engulf creatures in your body.  As a standard action, you can flow over creatures of your size category or smaller, entrapping them within your liquid form.  You simply move into your opponents' space; any creature whose space you completely cover is subject to the engulf attack, and you can engulf as many creatures as fit in your space.  You cannot make any other attacks during a round in which you engulf.
   Opponents can make attacks of opportunity when you attempt to engulf them, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw.  Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on Reflex saves (DC 10 + your class level + your spellshaping ability modifier) or be engulfed; on a success, a creature moves aside or back (opponent's choice) to move out of your path.
   Engulfed creatures are considered to be grappled within your body.  As a swift action, you can create might currents within your body that grind engulfed creatures, dealing 5d6 points of bludgeoning damage with a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your class level + your spellshaping ability modifier) for half damage.  Finally, engulfed creatures that breathe air might drown (see page 304 of the Dungeon Master's Guide).

Elemental Fortitude (Su): When you reach 8th level, your body becomes infused with the strength and endurance of an elemental.  You gain DR 5/- and immunity to stunning and paralysis.  You also gain immunity to any energy types associated with the formulae of your chosen element's associated circles.  You retain these traits in any form that you take through your elemental shape ability.

Servant of the Elements (Sp): Starting at 9th level, your bond with your chosen element allows you to ask favors of the powers to which you have pledged yourself.  You gain the ability to contact your element directly to ask questions of it.  This is the equivalent of casting a commune spell, except that it has no material component, focus, or XP cost and allows only one question per three class levels.  After using this ability, you cannot use it again for seven days.
   In addition, you gain the ability to use plane shift once per day to reach the Elemental Plane of your chosen element (or to return from that Elemental Plane to the Material Plane).

Elemental Apotheosis: When you reach 10th level, your devotion to your chosen element allows you transcend your mortal form.  Your type changes to elemental, and you permanently gain the elemental subtype of your chosen element.  This change to your type has no impact on the forms that you can take through your elemental shape ability, though you are now treated as being an elemental even when in those forms.
   As an elemental, you no longer need to eat, sleep, or breathe.  You permanently gain all the traits and immunities belonging to creatures of the elemental type, including those that you previously possessed only while in an elemental shape.
   Upon achieving this state, your appearance in your normal form undergoes a minor physical change, usually to the skin or eyes.  An earth elemental channeler, for example, might acquire gemlike eyes and hard, pebbly skin.  Anyone who possesses knowledge of your chosen element's plane immediately recognizes your transcendent nature.  You gain a +2 circumstance bonus on all Charisma-based skill and ability checks when interacting with creatures that share your elemental subtype (air, earth, fire, or water) and with other devotees of your chosen element.
   Unlike a normal elemental, you retain a soul separate from your body.  You can be raised from the dead as normal for a creature of your previous type.  However, your elemental body does not age in the same way that mortals do.  You no longer take ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged.  Any penalties you may have already incurred, however, remain in place.  Bonuses still accrue, and you still die of old age when your time is up.

Playing an Elemental Channeler
You might appear very similar to an average elemental adept or impulse mage, but underneath that veneer of normality exists an attunement to your chosen element that manifests itself in a unique way: the ability to transform into an elemental.  This ability demonstrates an understanding and mastery of your chosen element that none but another elemental channeler could hope to match.  Every formula of your chosen circle is another chance to enhance your effectiveness and expand your mastery.

Like elemental adepts, elemental channelers have no organization of their own, but they are common among more general arcanist guilds and are sometimes studied by members of the Conclave of the Tower who seek greater understanding of one of the elemental circles

CombatAdvancement
On rare occasions, someone with a strong affinity for one of the elements feels a call to its energy far beyond that experienced by other individuals.  You might be one of these; you feel somehow incomplete, hollow.  You discover in your studies the first hints of the elemental channelers, and seek out their secrets, either through in-depth research or actively finding one and petitioning her aid.  Only in this fashion can you learn the ancient rites that enable one to transform into an elemental.

As you progress, you become more and more comfortable with the act of transformation, until your elemental form feels more natural than your original body.  You continue your practice of spellshaping and can become quite a potent shaper.

You should keep your spellshaping-relevant ability score high.  This allows you to make the most effective use of your arcane formulae.  You should also consider taking feats that bolster your chosen circle, such as the Greater Circle Focus feat and any feat that augments your chosen spellshape attack.

ResourcesElemental Channelers in the World
Organization
Even though many elemental channelers belong to arcanist guilds, adventuring parties, and the like, no specific elemental channeler organization exists.

NPC ReactionsElemental Channeler Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (the planes) can research elemental channelers to learn more about them.  When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including the information from lower DCs.

DC 10: Elemental channelers are lone sages who use their magic to transform themselves.

DC 15: An elemental channeler is a spellshaper who wields elemental magic and can transform in much the same way that a druid does.

DC 20: Pledging herself to a single elemental circle, an elemental channeler gains augmented power with that circle in much the same way that an elemental adept does.  However, unlike an elemental adept, this augmented power is accessible only when she is transformed into her elemental form.

Elemental Channelers in the GameAdaptation
Although this prestige class is presented as essentially four classes in one, you could divide the elemental channeler into separate prestige classes for each circle.  Each could have its own entry requirements and an organization that provides access to its special techniques.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:33:42 AM by DonQuixote »

DonQuixote

« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2011, 04:18:36 AM »
Since the Archmage of the Tower Conclave advances spellcasting, I really don't think it needs to be updated like the others.  As such, this final pass is now complete.  Changes will only be made in reaction to feedback at this point, most of which will hopefully merely be fine-tuning.  The PDF should be up in a day or two, as soon as I have the chance to go through and format everything.

I plan to begin work on Codex II in a few days.  If you have any ideas or 'brew that you would like to contribute, please send me a personal message so we can get organized.

Edit: The PDF is up to date.  Work on Codex II should begin shortly.

Update 10/15/11: A new version of the PDF has been posted.  The only real changes are a correction of a small typo in Impulse Mage, as well as a change to Elemental Channeler's base attack bonus.

Update 10/15/11: An even newer version of the PDF has been posted, as I realized that the entry requirements of Archmage of the Tower Conclave were all but impossible for anyone except a spellsage.  While the class was designed with them in mind, it was actually impossible for most other spellshapers to enter the class, as it required all twelve spellshape attacks.  Quite apart from the whole "two more circles are being added in Codex II" problem, everyone except for the spellsage has to choose a limited number of circles...and only gets the relevant spellshape attacks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:33:01 AM by DonQuixote »