Author Topic: Constructive Criticism Wanted: Custom PrC Equilibrium Monk  (Read 2552 times)

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
Constructive Criticism Wanted: Custom PrC Equilibrium Monk
« on: March 12, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »
This was just a little something I sporadically had the idea to flesh out. I would appreciate some constructive criticism, comments, ect on my custom PrC. I would love to discuss the mechanics and possible changed or adjustments that could be made. My knowledge of how to make a table is lacking so bear with me.

Equilibrium Monk

Level - Base Attack Bonus - Fort Save - Ref Save - Will Save - Special     
1st    +1   +2   +0   +2   Monk Abilities, Serenity     
2nd    +2   +3   +0   +3   Snatch Arrow, Uncanny Dodge     
3rd   +3   +3   +1   +3   Counter Blow     
4th   +4   +4   +1   +4   Imp Deflect Arrows, Disequilibrium     
5th   +5   +4   +1   +4   Divergence     
6th   +6   +5   +2   +5   Imp Uncanny Dodge, Imp Counter Blow     
7th   +7   +5   +2   +5   Greater Disequilibrium     
8th   +8   +6   +2   +6   Reverto     
9th   +9   +6   +3   +6   Lucid Body     
10th   +10   +7   +3   +7   Reverse Equilibrium   

Requirements
To qualify to become an equilibrium monk, a character must fullfill all the folowing criteria.
Alignment: Any neutral.
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Escape Artist 5 ranks, Knowledge: Arcana 5 ranks, Knowledge: Religion 5 ranks, Sense Motive 8 ranks
Special: The character must give up the ability to cast any arcane or divine spells. He may still use magic items that cast spells such as scrolls and wands, but any equilibrium monk who personally casts an arcane or divine spell immediately loses all class abilities until he has spent at least 1 month inside an antimagic field or similiar null-magic area and recieves the benefit of an atonement spell.

Class Skills
The equilibrium monk's class skills are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge: Arcana (Int), Knowledge: Religion (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class feature of the Equilibrium Monk.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An equilibirum monk gains no new weapon or armor proficiency.

Monk Abilities: If an equilibrium monk has levels in monk, those levels stack for the purpose of determining your AC bonus, monk unarmed damage progression, and monk speed bonus.

Serenity (Ex): An Equilibrium monk begins learn the basic fundamentals of the balance of the world. He learns to relax his body and mind and attain a state of fluid awareness. At 1st level an equilibrium monk may enter a stance as a free action. While in this stance the equilibrium monk gains a +4 dodge bonus to AC, but he may take no movement other than a 5ft step while in the stance. Moving further ends the stance and the equilibrium monk cannot regain the stance until the start of his next turn.
   An equilibrium monk knows that a slight shift in his stance or a smooth push of an opponents arm is all it will take to evade a potentially deadly blow. Whenever he is in Serenity stance, an equilibrium monk may forgo any number of his attacks for the round and instead use them to attempt to counter an incoming melee attack. If an opponent makes a melee attack against an equilibrium monk he may make an opposed attack role at his highest base attack bonus versus the opponents attack role. If his attack roll is higher than his opponents, an equilibrium monk has parried the blow using minimal effort and takes no damage as if the attack had missed him. If the equilibrium monks attack roll is less than his opponents calculate the attack roll normally for purposes of whether or not it strikes the equilibrium monk.

Snatch Arrow: An equilibrium monk gains Snatch Arrows (see page 100) as a bonus feat at 2nd level.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, an equilibrium monk gains the ability to react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisable attack. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Counter Blow (Ex): An equilibrium monk knows to not waste energy with flashy or over the top attacks. Instead he has begun to practice a formidable fighting method which uses his opponents own strength and dexterity against him. Starting at 3rd level, anytime an equilibrium monk successfully parries a blow while in Serenity stance, he may immediately make an unarmed melee attack against his opponent at his highest base attack bonus. The equilibrium monk adds half his opponent's strength or dexterity modifier (whichever is higher) to his damage roll. Each additional counter blow recieves a cumulative penalty to hit starting with a -2 for the second, -4 for the third,  -6 for the fourth ect.. These extra attacks do not count as attacks of opportunity.

Improved Deflect Arrows (Ex): An equilibrium monk learns to minimize his motions while deflecting arrows; thus, giving him more time to deflect further incoming arrows. At 4th level an equilibruim monk's limit to deflecting 1 arrow per turn is increased. He may now deflect a number of ranged attacks in a round equal to his dexterity modifier.

Disequilibrium (Ex): By this point an equilibrium monk has begun to be able to see the flow of an opponents movements. This insight to his foes center of gravity gives the equilibium monk a great advantage when being assaulted by his foes. Starting at 4th level an equilibrium monk may add half his opponents strength or dexterity modifier (whichever is higher) to his opposed bull rush, disarm, feint, grapple, overrun, sunder, and trip rolls. This bonus only applies when the equilibrium monk is the target of the combat action. The equilibrium monk gains no such bonus when he initiates such an action.

Divergence (Su): Magical forces are just as much a part of the world as anything else. An equilibrium monk knows that balance is strived for in all things, including magic. He begins to understand the basic workings of the energies of magic around him and learns to bend them ever so slightly. Starting at 5th level an equilibrium monk learns to deflect magical spells and spell-like abilities.
   For the purposes of this ability, spells and spell-like effects are broken down into three categories: Attack, Area, and Targeted. Attack effects are magical effects that require an attack roll to hit the target. (Example: Schorching Ray) Area effects are ones that have an area of effect such as a cone or radius. (Example: Lightning Bolt)   Targeted effects are those that require the specification of a target(s).  (Example: Dominate Person) If a spell or effect does not fall within one of these categories then it is not able to be effected by Divergence.

The DC to deflect a spell is 5 + Caster Level + (3 X Spell Level)

If an equilibrium monk is targeted by an attack effect and the effect hits he may make an attempt to deflect it . If he succeeds he may deflect the spell harmlessly away without suffering any ill effect or damage. (For example: A 4th level wizard casts a schorching ray, a 2nd level spell, at an equilibrium monk and hits with his only ray. The equilibrium monk makes a concentration check with an effective DC 15 (5 + 4 + (3 X 2)) and rolls a 18. He successfully deflects the schorching ray and takes no damage.
   If an equilibrium monk is subjected to an area effect at its creation or moves into one already in effect he may make an attempt to deflect it. If he succeeds he may deflect the spell energy from his space harmlessly away without suffering any ill effect or damage. The space is the squares the equilibrium monk would occupy on a grid. (Example: A 5ftx5ft square for a medium sized creature.) If the area of effect is continuous the remaining squares of the spell or spell-like ability are not affected. Only the space the equilibrium monk inhabits is subject to his Divergence ability. If an equilibrium monk moves out of a square he has successfully used Divergence in, the spell continues to function in that square as normal.
   If an equilibrium monk is subject to, or included in the target selection, a Targeted effect he may make an attempt to deflect it. If he succeeds he may deflect the spell energy harmlessly away without suffering any ill effect or damage.
   If an equilibrium monk fails his concentration check he fails to deflect the spell energies, although he may still make a save against spells or spell-like abilities that normally allow one with one exception. If an equilibrium monk fails his concentration check to deflect a spell that normally allows a Reflex save then he suffers a penalty to his reflex saving throw equal to the spell level he failed to deflect.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 6th level and higher, an equilibrium monk can no longer be flanked; he can react to opponents no opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the brawler by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has brawler levels.

Improved Counter Blow (Ex): Starting at 6th level an equilibrium monk's skills at redirecting his opponents momentum heightens. When using counter blow the equilibrium monk may now add his opponents full strength or dexterity modifier to his damage rolls.

Greater Disequilibrium (Ex): Reading the movements of his opponents has become second nature to an equilibrium monk. At 7th level an equilibrium monk may now add his opponents full strength or dexterity score (whichever is higher) as a bonus to his opposed bull rush, disarm, feint, grapple, overrun, sunder, and trip rolls. This bonus only applies when the equilibrium monk is the target of the combat action. The equilibrium monk gains no such bonus when he initiates such an action.

Reverto (Su): The balance of magical energies is a delicate one. Even the slightest abnormality in its flow can cause unimaginable effects. The equilibrium monk has learned to further his control over magical energies. By learning to deflect his foes own momentum and strength against them an equilibrium monk has come to an interesting realization. Magical energies are no different than physical might. Applying this concept to magical energies allows the equilibrium monk to not only deflect magical energies around him, but to redirect them as he sees fit.
   At 8th level whenever an equilibrium monk using his Divergence ability rolls exceptionally well on his Concentration check he may instead choose to redirect the spell as if he were the original caster for the purposes of determining the target or area.

The DC to redirect a spell is 5 + Caster Level + (4 X Spell Level)

If an equilibrium monk successfully redirects an attack spell he may make an immediate melee or ranged attack role at his highest base attack bonus to redirect the spell. (Whichever type of attack role the spell required.) If his attack role succeeds the target suffers the normal effect of the spell. If the equilibrium monk is unable to make the attack role, due to being paralyzed or grappled, the spell energy diffuses as if he had deflected it.
   To redirect an area effect an equilibrium monk must be within the area of effect at its initial creation. Continuous area of effects already in effect are unable to be redirected. If an equilibrium monk successfully redirects an area spell he may immediately change the target area to one within the spells range. For area effects emanating from the user, count the equilibrium monk as the emanation point.
   If an equilibrium monk successfully redirects a Targeted spell he may immediately change the target(s) of the spell or spell-like ability to any legal targets within the effects range. If no legal targets exist then the spell energy diffuses as if he had deflected it.

Lucid Body (Ex): An equilibrium monk has become even more at peace within his body, mind, and soul. His movement flow effortlessly and seem to be unpredictable. At 9th level an equilibrium monk may add his dexterity modifier to his AC twice. In addition he may choose to make no sound as he moves, such is the grace and fluidity of his movements. This effectively makes him immpossible to hear with Listen checks so long as he wills it and does not speak.

Reverse Equilibrium (Su): An equilibrium monk of this level has become perfectly balanced within his own body, mind, and soul. He senses the delicate ebbs and flows of the events in the world around him. Each event playing a part in the overall balance of all things. His revelations have imparted their findings into his combat style. This has two effects.
   First, an equilibrium monk may now add two times his oppoents strength or dexterity modifier (whichever is higher) to his damage when using Counter Blow.
   Second, when an equilibrium monk successfully uses Reverto to redirect a spell he may use the original casters own magical energies against him.
   If the reflected spell has a numeric damaging effect, the equilibrium monk may add 1/2 the original caster's caster level to the damage inflicted by the effect. (Example: A 10th level sorcerer casts a Fireball at an equilibrium monk. After using Reverto to reflect the fireball back at him the fireball would deal 10d6+5 points of fire damage.)
   If the spell does not deal a numeric damaging effect then the equilibrium monk may add 1/2 the original caster's caster level to the save DC of the effect. (Example: A 10th level sorcerer casts Dominate Person on an equilibrium monk. After successfully reflecting the spell with Reverto the new Will save DC is the original DC+5.)
   If the spell contains both a numeric damaging effect and a non-numeric damaging effect then the equilibrium monk may apply either effect but not both. If the spell contains neither than neither ability applies.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:31:28 PM by Eviltedzies »
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted: Custom PrC Equilibrium Monk
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »
Equilibrium monks need more ranged weapon abilities.

[spoiler]Yeah, yeah, it's a cleric.  Whatever.[/spoiler]
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »
Zen Archery as a prerequisite, possibly? Or you could give them something similar based off of Intelligence by handwaving it as the ability to memorize and calculate firing arcs or whatever.

As for the class abilities:

1) How does Serenity work? Are the attacks I give up from last round (so that I have to choose beforehand to use it) or from the next round (if I have four attacks and parry three, I only get one next turn)? Do I choose to use it before seeing their attack roll or after? It might work better if it used up attacks of opportunity instead of your own attacks.

2) Divergence seems pretty complex for the effects you want, which are basically Exceptional Deflection, Evasion, and Mettle. Reflect Arrows would also be nice somewhere.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:15:02 PM »

2) Divergence seems pretty complex for the effects you want, which are basically Exceptional Deflection, Evasion, and Mettle. Reflect Arrows would also be nice somewhere.

The skill check looks impossible to fail, so just make the Monk immune to magic and get it over with.
Attacks 16-24
Area 21-29
Target 26-34

Character Level 10 (13 ranks) + 2 Circumstance Item + 5 Competence Item + 3 Skill Focus + 2 Heroism = 25.  You are already immune to attack spells, and haven't even rolled, you are halfway through area attacks, and even to dodge a Targeted spell (arguably the weakest since it includes things that Mind Blank et al makes you immune to) you have to roll a 9.  At character level 10.  By 20th level this appears to be an check that cannot be failed, and even before that it's functionally already there.  Also, he bounces basically all spells for the same reason.

Also, I think there's a homebrew section of the forum somewhere, so this is technically misplaced.

Edit: Because of the BAB requirement, the fastest way in to this class also has nothing to do with Monk, and has more to do with Human Fighters with Able Learner or something to that effect.  Not that those are particularly good mind you, just sayin'.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:28:27 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Eviltedzies

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:37:25 AM »
Quote from: Bozwevial
1) How does Serenity work? Are the attacks I give up from last round (so that I have to choose beforehand to use it) or from the next round (if I have four attacks and parry three, I only get one next turn)? Do I choose to use it before seeing their attack roll or after? It might work better if it used up attacks of opportunity instead of your own attacks.

Serenity only lets you give up attacks you could use that round and instead use them to fuel your parry attempts. The drawback is you cannot use them to actively attack and if your foe does not attack you in melee then you have wasted your attacks. If you have 3 attacks in a round you may give up 1, 2, or 3. If you give up 1 attack you may make 2 normal attacks as normal during a full attack and a single parry attempt if your foe strikes at you in melee. 2 attacks given up means only a single attack as a standard action and up to 2 parry attempts. If you do not make the parry attempts then the attacks are wasted.

Honestly I knew the DC's for deflecting and redirecting spells was too low. But when I made the class I was in a writing frenzy and wanted something simple to begin with.

I was thinking of making the DC 10 + 3 times the spell level for deflecting spells and 15 + 3 times the spell level for redirecting spells.

10 + 3 x spell level = 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31, 34, 37

15 + 3 x spell level = 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, 39, 42

The problem is that I feel at odds with whether or not I should force the class to purchase items to increase their concentration checks in order to be able to make the highest spell DC's. It seems almost contradictory to a class if one of its class abilities REQUIRES items or outside aid in order to be used to its fullest extend. Then again I look at incantrix and see that with great power comes great gold and optimizing cost.

If anyone has any suggestions for appriopriate DC saves I am all ears as I do love the flavor of the abilities and I do intent to keep them.
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.

Eviltedzies

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »
Alright I did some math and came up with the following DC's for Deflecting and Redirecting Spells.

Deflecting Spells: DC 5 + Caster Level + (3 X Spell Level)

Redirecting Spells: DC 5 + Caster Level + (4 X Spell Level)

So what do you think? I took a page from the Incantrix book and made it actually an achievement to successfully deflect or redirect higher level spells.
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
DC 10 + 3x spell level and DC 15 + 3x spell level were better.

Eviltedzies

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »
DC 10 + 3x spell level = a Minimum DC of 13 and a maximum DC of 37.
DC 15 + 3x spell level = a Minimum DC of 18 and a maximum DC of 42.

Now normally these DC's are obtainable just by putting ranks in Concentration. Without feats, without spells, and without magic items a level 20 character can still make a DC 42 check although it requires the character rolling a 19 or a 20. Originally I liked this idea because it mean that without outside help a character could, with a little luck, still succeed at a deflecting/redirecting a high level spell.

However as some people pointed out, it is relatively easy to increase your concentration checks using feats, items, spells, ect.....
At level 20 I could spend 40,000g for a +20 to Concetration item. Thus, making my total concentration check without rolling a 43. Even on a roll of 1 I could make the highest DC to redirect spells. As Sobolev pointed out, I might as well have made the character immune to magic and called it a day.

So I went back and looked at the Incantrix class and thought about ways to scale the DC's to where you could still deflect/redirect lower level spells without help, but the higher level spells you would need help for. I am still gladly open to ideas or debates on how I can strike a balance between the DC's and the power. Thanks you
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.