Author Topic: Don't multiclass the druid, newb!  (Read 18552 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Don't multiclass the druid, newb!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
Ok, yes, I know that it's near impossible to even add a PrC to a druid without it loosing power, let alone dipping into other base classes.

Question: is it worth dipping cleric 1 to get Turn/Rebuke Undead, so that one can get DMM Persistent Spell, and walk around with Undermaster running all day?

Because I haven't crunched the numbers, but at first impression that strikes me as pretty awesome.
There's a druid variant somewhere (wild reaper) that gets turn undead, along with some other stuff like fast healing and disease immunity. I think it only picks it up at 12th level, though.

12th level for Turn Undead, yeah.  Along with native Fast Healing and Fast Ability Damage Healing :D  DMM now with enhanced fleshraker form!
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Whisper

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »
Ok, yes, I know that it's near impossible to even add a PrC to a druid without it loosing power, let alone dipping into other base classes.

Question: is it worth dipping cleric 1 to get Turn/Rebuke Undead, so that one can get DMM Persistent Spell, and walk around with Undermaster running all day?

Because I haven't crunched the numbers, but at first impression that strikes me as pretty awesome.
There's a druid variant somewhere (wild reaper) that gets turn undead, along with some other stuff like fast healing and disease immunity. I think it only picks it up at 12th level, though.

12th level for Turn Undead, yeah.  Along with native Fast Healing and Fast Ability Damage Healing :D  DMM now with enhanced fleshraker form!

Shiny. Imagine that with persistent Undermaster... you'd barely need to use your spells.

What book is it in?

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:16 PM »
not a book, dragon magazine
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 01:28:58 AM »
Do NOT underestimate MoMF.  That class is an absolute BEAST. You don't actually lose anything in the end, because you can just Wild Shape into something with casting if you need spells!

So you're saying the spellcasting is EX? Or are you using some other method?
(An honest question, last time I brought up the fact that planar shepherds get EX, SU, and SP abilities and thus, the Spellcasting of the forms, there was a huge argument that spilled into multiple threads and no consensus in the end  :rollseyes)

EDIT: nm I'm pretty sure the innate spellcasting is EX
Let's not open that bag of worms here.

MoMF is really tough without relying on an arguable rules interpretation to get spellcasting.  Very high Tier 3 even if you're just turning into random stuff from the PHB, and possibly Tier 2 depending on the exact build and what the DM is allowing in terms of monster source books.  If you can grab Su abilities then you've got some serious potential for abuse.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 01:46:30 AM »
Do NOT underestimate MoMF.  That class is an absolute BEAST. You don't actually lose anything in the end, because you can just Wild Shape into something with casting if you need spells!

(An honest question, last time I brought up the fact that planar shepherds get EX, SU, and SP abilities and thus, the Spellcasting of the forms, there was a huge argument that spilled into multiple threads and no consensus in the end  :rollseyes)

MoMF is really tough without relying on an arguable rules interpretation to get spellcasting.  Very high Tier 3 even if you're just turning into random stuff from the PHB, and possibly Tier 2 depending on the exact build and what the DM is allowing in terms of monster source books.  If you can grab Su abilities then you've got some serious potential for abuse.

... Dare I ask what random stuff in the PHB grants these useful abilities?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 04:52:19 AM »

... Dare I ask what random stuff in the PHB grants these useful abilities?
Depends on what you're looking for.  Trolls are available at ECL 7 and do quite a bit of damage.  Higher-level giants can do well with rock throwing.  At ECL 12 you can benefit from regeneration if your chosen form has it.

Honestly, I thought the MM had a wider variety of stuff for the MoMF to change into...  I guess in a core game, however, he's really not much better off than a Druid in terms of how well their wild shape performs.  I guess you need more splats to find interesting Ex abilities to pick up with him.  That said, I'd say he still maintains T3 status by simple virtue that you can transform into something with massive Strength and Regeneration and do very well in melee.

Ras F

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 07:05:11 AM »
X-Codes, perhaps you would like to roll your spot check again?  :blush
I think the implication was: Did you really mean to say PHB earlier, and not "Core"?
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 07:13:03 AM »
X-Codes, perhaps you would like to roll your spot check again?  :blush
I think the implication was: Did you really mean to say PHB earlier, and not "Core"?
I see. I think the implication was that Kajhera's an ass.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »
X-Codes, perhaps you would like to roll your spot check again?  :blush
I see. I think the implication was that Kajhera's an ass.
Hey, if you can get useful abilities from sharpening your ears, I want to know.  :p

(Trolls are good to think about though.  :))
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:00:49 AM by Kajhera »

Zemyla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Rampant Changeling Fetishist
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »
Fochlucan Lyrist is also kinda nice
Bard 2/ Druid 3/ Green Whisperer 3/ Spelldancer 2/ Sublime Chord 1/ Fochlucan Lyrist 9
Bard 1/ Druid 4/ Green Whisperer 3/ Spelldancer 2/ Fochlucan Lyrist 10

Why spelldancer?  You can get evasion with Shape Soulmeld (impulse boots) and Open Least Chakra (feet).  It doesn't require a class, and is a lot more kosher than using a ring of evasion to qualify.

This leads us to Bard 2/Druid 3/Green Whisperer 5/Sublime Chord 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »
Fochlucan Lyrist is also kinda nice
Bard 2/ Druid 3/ Green Whisperer 3/ Spelldancer 2/ Sublime Chord 1/ Fochlucan Lyrist 9
Bard 1/ Druid 4/ Green Whisperer 3/ Spelldancer 2/ Fochlucan Lyrist 10

Why spelldancer?  You can get evasion with Shape Soulmeld (impulse boots) and Open Least Chakra (feet).  It doesn't require a class, and is a lot more kosher than using a ring of evasion to qualify.

This leads us to Bard 2/Druid 3/Green Whisperer 5/Sublime Chord 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9.

Spelldancer also nets unlimited use metamagic :)
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 08:00:02 PM »
Now, if you ignore "Don't multiclass the druid, newb!"
you can make a rather decent core Monk via
Monk 1 / Druid 19 and Natural Spell feat.
Can take that Monk level at 2nd, 4th, or 6th.

Druids make better Monks than Monk.
 :D

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 08:57:48 PM »
Now, if you ignore "Don't multiclass the druid, newb!"
you can make a rather decent core Monk via
Monk 1 / Druid 19 and Natural Spell feat.
Can take that Monk level at 2nd, 4th, or 6th.

Druids make better Monks than Monk.
Commoners make better monks than monks.

See: flurry of chickens.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 08:01:35 PM »
 :lol ... right.

Commoner 1 with the chicken thingy / Divine Mind 14 or more
... could have a whole army of regenerating chickens.
And might be buildable to a Monk+.