Author Topic: [3.5] The Martial Factotum ACF  (Read 5911 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
[3.5] The Martial Factotum ACF
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
As the standard factotum, except you lose Arcane Dilettante. In its place you gain the following abilities:

Martial Dilettante (Ex or Su): At 2nd level, you receive bursts of insight regarding martial discipline. You know that with a steady hand and a steady mind, you can approximate something that looks like a martial maneuver. By spending 1 inspiration point, you can mimic a martial maneuver.

At the start of each day, choose a number of martial maneuvers from the crusader, warblade, and swordsage maneuver lists, based on your factotum level. You can choose one 1st level maneuver at 2nd level, and you gain additional maneuvers as shown on the table below. The maximum level of the maneuvers you can use, according to your class level, is also shown on the table. You can select any maneuver up to that level, but you can prepare only one maneuver of your maximum level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against your maneuvers is 10 + the maneuver level + your Int Modifier.

Once you have chosen your maneuvers for the day, you cannot change them out again until you have rested for 8 hours. You cannot prepare the same maneuver multiple times, though you may choose the same maneuvers multiple days in a row.

You may initiate maneuvers at will, and once expended cannot be used again until refreshed; these maneuvers are automatically refreshed on your initiative at the beginning of combat, or after 1 minute of non-strenuous activity (such as walking, resting, meditating, or riding a horse at less than a trot). You cannot use actions gained through additional means (such as from a belt of battle or your cunning surge ability) to initiate maneuvers during a combat round.

You also have access to stances, as shown on the table below, which you re-choose each day when you choose your maneuvers known. You may only choose stances at or below the level of maneuvers you have access to, according to your level, but they neither require inspiration points, nor are expended when used. You may only enter one stance at any given time.

Your factotum level is treated as a full-initiator class when calculating your initiator level for these stances and maneuvers.

Maneuvers and stances are considered Ex or Su abilities, depending on the ability mimicked, and require the same action to initiate them normally; see the maneuver entries for details

You do not need to meet the prerequisites for a maneuver or stance to select it as a maneuver or stance known.

Factotum   Maneuver   Maneuvers   Stances
Level      Level      Known       Known
1          -          -           -
2          1          1           1
3          1          1           1
4          1          2           1
5          2          2           1
6          2          2           1
7          2          3           1
8          3          3           1
9          3          4           1
10         4          4           1
11         4          4           2
12         4          5           2
13         5          5           2
14         5          6           2
15         6          6           2
16         6          6           2
17         7          7           2
18         7          7           2
19         7          7           2
20         8          8           3

Cunning Transposition (Ex): At 11th level you gain the ability to exchange your maneuvers for others you choose.

3/day you may utilize a swift action to exchange one factotum maneuver or stance you can access using your Martial Dilettante ability for another. If you exchange stances, you may immediately enter that stance as part of this ability. You gain an additional use of this ability at 15th level and every 4 class levels thereafter.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:31:27 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: [3.5] The Martial Factotum ACF
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
So, it's trading spells for maneuvers, but the maneuvers are only 1/day? It would be nice if there was a happier medium you could use between 1/encounter (like inspiration points that the Factotum already gets) and 1/day (like spells, but not that suitable for maneuvers).

Here's a better-aligned table, if you'd like.
[spoiler]

Factotum   Maneuver   Maneuvers   Stances
Level      Level      Known       Known
1          -          -           -
2          1          1           1
3          1          1           1
4          1          2           1
5          2          2           1
6          2          2           1
7          2          3           1
8          3          3           1
9          3          4           1
10         4          4           1
11         4          4           2
12         4          5           2
13         5          5           2
14         5          6           2
15         6          6           2
16         6          6           2
17         7          7           2
18         7          7           2
19         7          7           2
20         8          8           3

[/spoiler]
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:46:48 PM »
I figured the boost granted by the stances and unfettered access to every maneuver out there under level 9 to be a decent tradeoff.

I know spells are more powerful, but unless I want to drop the number of maneuvers down to a bit less, I'm not sure I want it 1/encounter every time. Though that'd be the equivalent of 11 pretty good bonus feats, I s'pose.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »
Maneuver Prereqs are already going to limit the higher end Maneuvers you can prepare.  Definitely try to work it into being 1/encounter.  Even a fighter would get his Martial Study based maneuvers 1/encounter. 

Also, Factotum can easily get Martial Study/stance via its floating Feat and Heroics already.  Depending on your game table perhaps even many castings of Heroics.

Having only 8 maneuver uses per day simply is not worth it for level 20 I think, even with Stances.

Though there certainly would be some builds which would prefer even this form over the original. 
Placeholder - T'tosc

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
Also, Factotum can easily get Martial Study/stance via its floating Feat

What floating feat?

Depending on your game table perhaps even many castings of Heroics.

The Factotum can't prep more than one of any given SLA per day.

Having only 8 maneuver uses per day simply is not worth it for level 20 I think, even with Stances.

I heartily agree.

I find it odd the Factotum has to jump through hoops to initiate his maneuvers but "just gets" his stances. Maybe this would be better if he was limited to just using one maneuver per round (including stances) and each one costs 1 Inspiration point. So in one round he can assume a stance for 1 point and a swift action, but he can't also use a Strike that round. In another round he can use a Strike, but he can't use a boost or counter that round (or assume a stance).

So he can still draw from all of the 9 disciplines, and he still uses the table you provided for maneuver level, maneuvers known, and stances known, but now he can use them once per encounter, but only one per round.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:28:11 AM by bkdubs123 »

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:41:54 AM »
What's the problem with just having them be 1/encounter in the first place? Effectively the Factotum trades SLAs for the Martial Study feat each time he'd gain an SLA, and since I'm pretty sure spells are more powerful, I fail to see how that would be imbalanced at all. As Hallack says, prereqs are already going to slow him down, I don't see any reason to apply additional shackles since last I checked everyone's favorite thing about the Factotum was SLAs.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:59:44 AM »
Also, Factotum can easily get Martial Study/stance via its floating Feat

What floating feat?

Depending on your game table perhaps even many castings of Heroics.

The Factotum can't prep more than one of any given SLA per day.

Oops, early and brain apparently hadn't switched gears from the Factotum/Chameleon I'm working on hehe.  Yeah, no floating feat.

On the Heroics, wands and scrolls can be used for that via UMD easily enough.
Placeholder - T'tosc

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:30:38 PM »
Okay, note that the factotum doesn't have to account for prereqs, other than what's given on his table.

I was concerned with the ability to spam maneuvers all over the place, but the consensus appears to be that 1 maneuver/round and each maneuver 1/encounter is relatively balanced, so I'll change it over. Though I don't think I'll limit swapping stances beyond the single swift action it already takes to switch them out.

Does anyone have any problems with the ability to switch all these maneuvers and stances out every day?

Also, how about an addendum ability to swap out a single maneuver or stance known X/day, to help with the whole 'maneuvers aren't as powerful as spells' thing? Make it a swift action (doesn't cost inspiration points), and if you're swapping out a stance you can immediately enter the new stance as part of the action used to swap it out?

[edit] Added:

Cunning Transposition (Ex): At 11th level you gain the ability to exchange your maneuvers for others you choose.

3/day you may utilize a swift action to exchange one factotum maneuver or stance you can access using your Martial Dilettante ability for another. If you exchange stances, you may immediately enter that stance as part of this ability. You gain an additional use of this ability at 15th level and every 4 class levels thereafter.

Also, thanks Garryl for that table. Much better.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:36:35 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
You're welcome. If you want the bolding to come through (showing the levels that the max level, maneuvers, and stances readied improve like in your original table) just take it out of the quote block. Pre tags are finicky about formatting.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »
I find it odd the Factotum has to jump through hoops to initiate his maneuvers but "just gets" his stances. Maybe this would be better if he was limited to just using one maneuver per round (including stances) and each one costs 1 Inspiration point. So in one round he can assume a stance for 1 point and a swift action, but he can't also use a Strike that round. In another round he can use a Strike, but he can't use a boost or counter that round (or assume a stance).
What do you mean by this, exactly?

You're welcome. If you want the bolding to come through (showing the levels that the max level, maneuvers, and stances readied improve like in your original table) just take it out of the quote block. Pre tags are finicky about formatting.
Thanks again. What a sweet guy...err...girl...err...whatever you are...you are.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 06:30:29 PM »

I mean that he's gotta spend inspiration points, deal with prerequisites, using them just once each day, and not being able even to get the highest level ones, but he just has a separate stance progression and can use those at-will without spending inspiration. I just find that odd is all.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 06:50:42 PM »

I mean that he's gotta spend inspiration points, deal with prerequisites, using them just once each day, and not being able even to get the highest level ones, but he just has a separate stance progression and can use those at-will without spending inspiration. I just find that odd is all.
Well, I took care of the 1/day thing; now it's 1/minute or 1/fight. And it ignores prerequisites, and has from the first. Maneuvers aren't really powerful enough to warrant the restriction, even on a weaker initiator class.

But otherwise, the only difference from a 'normal' initiator class is that he has no in-battle recovery mechanic and he spends IP on them. Oh, and he can't use additional actions with them and can change them every day.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:53:42 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »
Interesting...Makes level 8 an even better break point though. Now they would get cunning surge, wrt and ihs. Sounds like a good trade to me.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:23 PM »
Interesting...Makes level 8 an even better break point though. Now they would get cunning surge, wrt and ihs. Sounds like a good trade to me.
Good as in, 'this is an actual decision I need to make, which one do I want?' or 'OMG THIS IS THE BEST ACF EVER NOM NOM NOM'?

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »
I know I would take it instead of the spells 9 times out of 10.

The problem with the spells, you do get only one casting, so you aim for the long duration ones. Other than that you get a once a day bfc or some other spell that helps only once.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »
Spells are god at high level, especially with Cunning Surge.

But "I'd take it 9/10 times" is why I went conservative in the beginning. Now it's a lot more than it was.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »
I wasn't comparing high level spells to maneuvers, I am comparing what an 8th level facto can get regularly compared to what your acf is giving.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »
I wasn't comparing high level spells to maneuvers, I am comparing what an 8th level facto can get regularly compared to what your acf is giving.
Ah. Well, it would certainly make an excellent lead-in to chameleon. That way you get tasty maneuvers and tasty spells both.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]