Author Topic: Sage (3.5 NPC class)  (Read 4583 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Sage (3.5 NPC class)
« on: March 10, 2011, 09:36:10 AM »
SAGE

Like wizards and bards, sages are devoted to the pursuit of knowledge. Unlike members of these classes, they have little practical experience.

HD: d4
BAB: Poor
Saves: Fort poor, Ref poor, Will good

Class Skills (2+Int): Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Forgery, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Martial Lore, Perform, Profession, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Truespeech.
If you are not using magic/psionics transparency, add Psicraft to the sage's skill list.

1    Knowledge power (0th), Lore
2    Skill bonus +1
3    Knowledge power (1st)
4    Skill bonus +2, Spell power +1
5    Knowledge power (2nd)
6    Skill bonus +3
7    Knowledge power (3rd)
8    Skill bonus +4, Spell power +2
9    Knowledge power (4th)
10   Skill bonus +5
11   Knowledge power (5th)
12   Skill bonus +6, Spell power +3
13   Knowledge power (6th)
14   Skill bonus +7
15   Knowledge power (7th)
16   Skill bonus +8, Spell power +4
17   Knowledge power (8th)
18   Skill bonus +9
19   Knowledge power (9th)
20   Skill bonus +10, Spell power +5

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The sage is proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield.

Lore (Ex): Thanks to long hours of study, a sage has a wide range of stray knowledge. This ability is identical to the bard's bardic knowledge class feature, using the sage's class level in place of the bard level.

Knowledge Power (Sp): At 1st level a sage learns one 0th-level divination spell which he can use as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to his class level. Unlike most spell-like abilities, he must pay any XP and/or GP costs as normal. At every odd level thereafter the sage learns another spell of one level higher. A sage has a number of "insight points" per day equal to his class level; using a Knowledge Power expends IP equal to the level of the spell +1.

Spell Power: At every 4th level, the caster level of the sage's Knowledge Powers increases by 1 (eg. a 20th-level sage would have CL25).

Skill Bonus (Ex): The sage chooses one skill and receives an insight bonus on checks made with that skill equal to half his class level.

New Feats

Extra Knowledge [General]
Prerequisite: Knowledge Power
Benefit: You gain 1 additional Knowledge Power of any level you can cast.
Special: You may select this feat multiple times; its effects stack. Each time you select another knowledge power of a level you can cast.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 08:26:23 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Sage (3.5 NPC class)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:54:26 PM »
At first glance this class seems exceptionally weak. Is this supposed to be an NPC class?
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:43:18 PM »
It is indeed an NPC class, at least according to the subject line.

Go Prime! More NPC classes are a welcome addition. I notice you did one for ToB. Are you planning on doing some for the other alternative magic systems as well? Say, one for binding, one for Incarnum, one for psionics, etcetera.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:42:17 AM »
I notice you did one for ToB. Are you planning on doing some for the other alternative magic systems as well? Say, one for binding, one for Incarnum, one for psionics, etcetera.
Well, the latter two have the soulborn and the soulknife. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:27:15 PM »
I know, but those classes feel more like poorly made classes with incarnum/psionics tacked on rather than an actual NPC class that uses the system properly, but isn't as powerful as the PC classes. Like the Adept, that would mean actually getting powers/soulmelds starting at 1st level and slowly improving that. Something like Dreamscarred Press's Augur (although I personally dislike the dead levels in the PP progression and the lack of a proper power known at 1st level).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]