Author Topic: I HAVE FURY!!! Lets Play Super Robot Wars Judgement!  (Read 124807 times)

Decessor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: I HAVE FURY!!! Lets Play Super Robot Wars Judgement!
« Reply #280 on: August 02, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
I'm not overly keen on spoilerblocks for the entire LP, if only because if I load this page it's with the full intention of loading pics. That said, it's not a massive issue for me.

Gundam Optimal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: August 18, 2011, 09:06:53 PM »
Part 15.1: Welcome to the lost land of the Not-Total-Dickholes.

First off, I'd like to apologise for the delay. Three things happened to make it harder to update:
1) I started co-GMing an online Exalted game and suddenly had a lot of reading and statting to do.
2) I started playing Fallout 3
3) I lost internet access last weekend.

In any case, I'm here now, and I'll try to get all of this update done today.

[spoiler]
Right, first, the Puzzle robo.

Simple matter of casting Accel and charging at the objective, right?

Er, no, Karla just flies in and takes the point. So we'll have to get rid of her.

Well that was simple enough. Now we just end our turn and fly to the objective next time, right?

...Ok, apparently Gale has an itchy trigger finger this time, and even defending his shots do too much hurt to the damaged Layzner. Lets rethink this...

The Lasered Rifle has the same attack power as the Knuckle Shot, and at this low level Eijis Melee stat isn't that much higher than his ranged, so the two attacks do similar damage. The difference is that the rifle gives us a little more room to back off from Karla and more importantly, Gale.

Gale is one space too far to shoot at us, so we can cast Accel again and speed to the finish line.

Upgrades for Nanga, Hime and Kira.

The Striker Packs get swapped around as requested.

Although the logical thing would be to give Eiji a new HE radar to replace the one I gave to David, Layzners not on the roster at the start of this level, so we'll have to wait.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Onto the story, and Eiji's trying to figure out what happened in the fight with Gale.

Its kinda a worry when someone not raised on the same planet as the rest of the cast is one of the nicest and most relatable of the main characters on display.

Mu seems a little...confused today. Maybe he finally got that still working for when Badgirl got too much?

Ok, theres not noticing she's run off with a boy or gotten hooked on drugs. Then theres not noticing she launched into space to infiltrate your secret weapons facility, then travelled back in time to raise a resistance movement in Africa. I realise theres a lot of shit going on, but there are limits to inattentiveness too.

Frankly, if I had enough power to force those idiots to listen to reason, I'd be sorely tempted to just take them over and fire everyone who was in charge.

Again with the magical 'combat data' being this big military secret that is the secret to how the entire mecha works. Wouldn't the maintenance data, the cruising flight data, and just the walking around for the hell of it data all be equally important from a technical standpoint? It might not seem as glamourous but if they can't even figure out how to make a Gundam stand up straight without a Coordinator compiling stuff as he flies, then it would seem valuable to me.

Any Civilisation players reading this are probably screaming at the screen about how trading all your tech for enough gold to last a few turns is a terrible move. But I gotta say, I like Izumi, he at least seems to have a competent streak, even if his parenting skills could use something.

"They might actually be able to use it! Giving them an incredible advantage over the UEFA!"

Wait, so ZAFT committed a war crime, and this lets them put more pressure on the victims? To the point where the victims aren't allowed to give things to the people empowered to prevent war crimes (theoretically)? Damn....I think ZAFT is kinda winning the political game. And given the UEFA don't seem to be doing well at the military game....which game are they playing anyway?

Say goodbye and wave as they leave?

Well, she should be, because she and Eiji are the reason your argument is bullshit. In your own series, sure, there was nothing but the Skygraspers on board, it was an actual moral dilemma. But you've got at least 4 other mecha in this story and the Novis Noahs Brain Powerds as backup, they can pick up the slack for the Strike without that much difficulty. And if I might be blunt, the Strike is not our best mech, the Bellzelute is just better than the Launcher Strike in every way except it lacks PS armor.

So in her own series, she's suicidally dedicated to being nice, and in this game, she's an idiot who can't see past one mech out of the whole team.

'Thats a sign of Alzhiemers sir.'
'Well you tell Mr. Zhiemer to take his signs somewhere else!'

So asspinching isn't sexual harrassment if you do it in front of the UN secretary general?

I dunno, maybe if we pile enough exhaustion, stimulant abuse, and sexual tension onto the commanders they'll max out the useless gauge and flip back around to competent again.
[/spoiler]
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

Sucrose

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2011, 01:59:10 AM »
Huzzah, you're back! :D

I dunno about trying to wrap the usefulness gauge around; I think that between 'useless' and 'competent,' you might end up with 'actively harmful.'

And on Puzzle Robo, it seems that I misunderstood Gale's range; blast.

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2011, 09:58:03 AM »
Part 15.2: And then everyone totally got a happy ending a quarter of the way into the game.

[spoiler]

The kids seek to escape the ship before it inevitably sinks in the the seas of angst.

They're living on a planet protected by the UEFA. If they wanted safety they'd have flown to Pluto.

"Exactly. Wait, who are you again?"

Wait, the Heliopolis survivors were sent to the Moon? Didn't we establish how much of a detour that was before?

...no offense, but if he is your 'dearest friend', shouldn't you guys have maybe discussed it with him at some point over the past few days crossing the Indian Ocean?

"I bet he's got the top score on Minesweeper on all their computers!"

Whats that? Tension in the air? I wonder who's fault that is.

Little things like Alien Technology, including stuff about Layzner that even Eiji hasn't a clue about and the semi-magical Orgone system on Bellzelute, are nothing to these guys. They can fieldstrip all of them in half an hour and overhaul them in a lunchbreak.

The teens get a call from OSDG:

She's not even 30, I should point out. The grey hair is just an anime thing.

'10-odd'? I thought Eiji was like 17. Are we looking at even more time travel or is Eijis dad so fertile his son had been born before he even met his wife?

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA You still have hope.

I guess the paychecks from Nergal really are that good.

...Wait, so even *Natarle*, who was desperate to keep as many crew around as possible, isn't happy about Flay staying? Damn, girl, you're lucky you found Sai and Kira because I don't think anyone else wants your shit anymore.

Thats a very nice sentiment, Sai, and I applaud the sense of it, it still kinda means being on the same boat as Natarle and Flay.

Before they were only mostly hopeless, I suppose.

Thats right, Kuzzey, you have not suffered enough to be released.

Because they're dumb enough for the UEFA, apparently.

"Flay! Coffee Table! Wall! Holy shit, I have *TWO* feet!!"

Such a meaningful and trusting relationship I see.

No, I'm sorry, thats fucking bullshit. This is supposed to be a friendship, right? Thats supposed to be a two-way street. If Sai and the others are willing to reach out to support Kira then Kira has to reciprocate to be a true friend to them. If Sai forgives him, Kira has to forgive Sai. And despite his friends being the reason he was guilted onto staying on this ship, we haven't seen one scene of Kira really bonding with anyone except Flay. It feels more like he was emotionally blackmailed into helping his classmates than being eager to help his friends. Maybe in the series this is all handled better, but this game has turned the SEED plot into a mire of fail, and really doesn't work as an advertisement for the series unless you really love the mecha.

See? Now it looks like Tolle is just trying to ditch the angstbag!

Gotta love that superior Radam tracking technology. Probably just some eyeballs on a stick.

His frustration brings out Mus inner Texan.

I'm beginning to think the answer to that is 'No, I don't actually do anything on this ship, I just keep the Vending Machines unjammed and eat out Natarle whenever she looks like she's about to mutiny."

And have you seriously not even tried calling Kira since he left the ship? Goddamn, Flay, you're not even fucking trying!

Our decisive young hero, ladies and gentlemen!!

Outside:

NPCs are never allowed to be competent in SRW. Even ones from Orb.

Wait, so he was just attacking random countries and hoping they knew who Blade was?

Apparently so.

We start with only a fraction of our forces available. Still, it should be enough to handle some Radam, with any luck.

"Yeah....You're all basically hostages to my angsty whims."

Natarle finally does something useful and marks out the zone we have to protect. If any bad guys get to this spot we auto-lose, so we'll have to be careful to prioritise the right targets and position ourselves to block their advance.
[/spoiler]
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
Part 15.3: Reforged from the shards of Narsil....

[spoiler]

...Who's not here.

And then he...leaves. Apparently he just wants to watch us murder his radam beasts first.

The Sword Strike makes its return after nearly ten levels of Mu using it. It seems to be doing well even though we neglected Kiras melee stats.

Yay for super-dodgy Ailegrasper.

This first wave isn't giving us much trouble.

I arrange our guys in a sort of 'funnel' to ensure the Radam will be in range of our guns as they charge in.

Team Brain Powerd works once more.

Silly Rei, Radam don't have cockpits.

We get to see Kira killing multiple Radam in one swing. A taste of things to come, no doubt.

Of course nothing Kira does can come out good, so he triggers Daggers return:

And in a shocking new transformation, D-Boy becomes Tekkaman Blade once more.

Awww, he learned the power of friendship. How heartwarming. Now we can all lay waste to armies together.

Apparently we need to keep Blade alive. Somehow I doubt that'll be too difficult.

Blade and Pegas count as one unit, although you can seperate them. As a combined unit, Pegas is a second 'pilot', giving Blade some very, very useful spirit commands. Its no slouch to say that Blade just got a major upgrade.

I missed you, D-Boy.

Meanwhile, Kira throws boomerangs. Laser Boomerangs.

The Archangel goes a-killin', with even Dagger taking a knock. Meanwhile, Blade takes the time to thin the Radam Herd.

We continue the easy killing, triggering a warning that theres more on the way.

The Brain Powerds cut through the enemy with relative ease. Without the big power consumption issues of before, they can afford to let loose.

Levels for all, but saving stuff like Cheer for the bigger enemies. Like Dagger.

Even without Strike, Blade manages to hit the dodgey Dagger.

Nanga and Lasse come critically close to beating Dagger. That leaves Eiji to finish the job.

And then Blade smacks him down for good.

Another permanent villain death, woo! Can we keep this pace up?

Damn, I sure hope we can...

[/spoiler]

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #285 on: August 23, 2011, 09:53:33 PM »
Part 15.4: All part of the routine.

[spoiler]
Finally, the stragglers show up:

Cagalli rough houses when and where she wants, dude.

Even Natarle has given up on military protocol at this point. Good to know.

"Stay safe and only screw people your best friends have tried first."

Apparently only letting the city be blown up by Radam is a problem, if the Gradosians blow it up its no big.

At this point with will up and SEED mode active, Kira can easily deal with flimsy SPTs.

As can Blade.

And the Archangel.

Cagalli, on the other hand, has issues.

But most of the enemy attack the Archangel and get slaughtered, so its ok.

The rest attack Blade and get not-quite-as-slaughtered, although we do get this.

After all that the Archangel is barely touched and Blade was hit once (For 10 damage thanks to Wall).

Because he loved up to the Archangel to deliver CAgalli, David can get some XP off the survivors. Roanne is still back at the starting point and doesn't have Accel, so he'll basically get to do nothing this mission.

Kira blows his own trumpet as he bitchslaps Karla. No change there then.

After that we spend the rest of the turn mopping up surviving grunts, to finish off Karla at our leisure.

And then she magically regains health!! Mini bosses will sometimes do this to regain HP and/or EN, but theres never any indication over who will do it. Thankfully main bosses never do this.

The Archangel puts her in the red again, giving the honors to Hime this time.

We're spared a longwinded Team Rocket Speech this time.

Thats literally all Pegas ever says, and in the anime it just sounds wierd. Its not the japanese 'yokai', its this really mumbled "RUUUUSSUUUUHH" sound.

"We call it Flay. Don't get too close, we don't know who's been in it."

Thats an abrupt subject change. Possible fanfic fodder?

Yup, definite fanfic fodder.

Wait, so are they keeping the Mars thing a secret? Or has Nanga just totally missed who Eiji and co are?

And the fangirls swooned.

....Don't they have in-built training software that allowed the two of them to learn how to pilot in a few weeks? Wouldn't that work on anybody?

Also, she can just teleport back there and see it herself. Heck, Simone might be Future Cagalli in disguise.

Again, Dr. Liz isn't even 25. She must have had a really shitty adolesence to be giving all this sage advice now.

Meanwhile, Anna is 14 and just having a pointless crush.

Back in Adult Land, the UEFA is jerking us around again:

That implies there was ever a point where you were worth the trouble.

Eh. Its closer than Alaska, thats good enough for me.

Which makes them LAW.

WHAT A COINCIDENCE!

Oh Arthur. Your dick is going to get to in so much trouble...

Spoilers: She basically does nothing but pine after Eiji for the rest of the game.

WE GET IT. WE ALL HAVE TO GO TO JAPAN BECAUSE IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT COUNTRY IN ALL ANIME. WE GET IT.

'Probably?'
'Look, I'm the doctor, not their goddamn maid. This isn't TNG where the counsellor is third in command of the ship, y'know!'

'Rumors'. The Secretary General of the UN has heard 'rumors'. Either you're terrible at your job, Geybridge, or you're being awful coy.

Spoilers: The only coherent moral of SEED and SEED Destiny, other than 'War is Bad', is that one person can change everything, so long as they're Space Jesus and gets the most merchandisable robots.

Little hope of that...

Ooh, intriuge...

I think the game just ominous'd itself.

Anyway, intermission time again.

The red mechs are our must-deploys for the next mission.

Our Puzzle Robo this evening. How do we arrange things so all the enemies die?

And the usual request for who gets parts and upgrades. Next mission will be a big one, so I'd suggest not going wild, considering everyone but Cagalli basically had no trouble last level. But maybe you guys wanna reward someone.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #286 on: August 24, 2011, 02:27:52 AM »
And the usual request for who gets parts and upgrades. Next mission will be a big one, so I'd suggest not going wild, considering everyone but Cagalli basically had no trouble last level. But maybe you guys wanna reward someone.
Maybe we can do something about the one outlier?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #287 on: August 24, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »
Maybe we can do something about the one outlier?

[spoiler]The main issue with upgrading Skygrasper 2 is that its a repair unit and really not up to much. It can be somewhat useful on route splits but during recombination you're probably going to want the Blue Earth and the Buldy more. The only thing going for it is that we've Favorited SEED and thus any kills it makes are worth more.

The other issue is that Cagalli does get a better unit later on, but not for a half-dozen levels or so.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #288 on: August 24, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
Ah, well, use it to get her some exercise then. XP makes everyone better.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #289 on: August 25, 2011, 12:51:15 AM »
For the puzzle, we have 3 units who have to take out 2 enemies, right? So someone has to one-shot something. Mu has Support Attack (SA), right? So that's an extra attack, possibly. I don't know effective everyone's attacks are, but I'm guessing that nobody one-shots anything with any attacks, even with Mu's command aura and Mu/Kira's friendship, right?

Given that I don't actually know how anything pans out, nor do I understand the mechanics and math well enough to actually know what will happen what, here's the ideas I have from the setup of the puzzle.

The first thing that comes to mind is that Blade and Mu take out the first enemy, which might let Kira move far enough with Accel to attack and one-shot the second one.

The other, far more convoluted idea I have is for Kira to move in to attack the first guy with Mu's SA, then Mu moves over to the second guy and attacks, then Blade comes in and finishes the 2nd one off with another Mu SA? Do the mechanics even work like that? Am I over thinking things?

Also, good to see you back.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Decessor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #290 on: August 26, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
More weapons for Blade. Can't let him get rusty after all.

EDIT: Oh and Weapons/HP upgrades for Cagalli.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:09:49 PM by Decessor »

Stealthyboy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: August 26, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »
Puzzle Robo
[spoiler]Hm... Have Blade attack the rightmost enemy, supported by Mu. That should finish it off. Then have Kira use Accel and attack the leftmost enemy, and finish it off with Mu's attack.

Why have Mu support Blade and not Kira? Mu's in a flying unit that can't land, Kira's in a land unit that can't fly, so the two are incompatible for support. Blade, of course, can use both terrains, so Mu can support him as long as he's in the air.[/spoiler]

Sucrose

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: August 26, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »
Upgrade Cagalli a bit, particularly in weapons, that she may join the stronger units in one-shotting mooks.  Wouldn't want to force her to resort to piloting her TARDIS.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #293 on: August 26, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »
Upgrade Cagalli a bit, particularly in weapons, that she may join the stronger units in one-shotting mooks.  Wouldn't want to force her to resort to piloting her TARDIS.
Nah, the TARDIS is only a playable unit in the Alpha series. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Stealthyboy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: August 27, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »
Oh, also, don't upgrade the Skygraspers. If they need a boost, give them some parts, since the then you can at least take them off again once the units become obsolete, while if you spend money on them, it's pretty much a waste since it's almost guaranteed that they'll end up on the bench.

Sucrose

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Oh, also, don't upgrade the Skygraspers. If they need a boost, give them some parts, since the then you can at least take them off again once the units become obsolete, while if you spend money on them, it's pretty much a waste since it's almost guaranteed that they'll end up on the bench.

...I suppose that this is a fair point.  Give Cagalli some solid damage-improving parts, but don't upgrade the Skygrasper 2.

Decessor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #296 on: August 31, 2011, 09:02:43 AM »
If upgrades for Cagalli end up voted down then I second the use of components to give her a temporary boost.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #297 on: September 01, 2011, 11:26:17 AM »
If upgrades for Cagalli end up voted down then I second the use of components to give her a temporary boost.
Components seconded.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #298 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:47 PM »
Part 16.1: Getting the Band back together

[spoiler]

As Stealthyboy said, we start with a combo attack from Blade and Mu to finish the first Radam.

Then Kira attacks...

And Mu bags us the prize. AB coating works like the Laminate Armor on the Archangel, reducing damage from Beam weapons. Unfortunately it doesn't make the mech gold, which would be a cool visual throwback to Zeta Gundam. Maybe someday, the SRW sprites will show the equipped parts, but not today...

As I do my usual check, I find that now, Simone counts as a full pilot, who can be used on any of the SPTs. We can come back to this later.

Making Cagallis Skygrasper do more damage isn't as easy as it sounds in the current setup, parts rarely help improve damage directly. What I can do is steal parts from others to improve its critical hit rate and its terrain ranking, which indirectly up the damage output, and increase dodge a touch. Coupled with some pilot points put into Cagallis dodge stat, and hopefully she'll have less to worry about in a firefight.

I hand out the rest of the loot to the others, but don't spend any money, as there are no-one at risk other than Cagalli.

Feels kinda wierd saving with that much money banked. Oh well, it'll get used up somewhere.

So, the Archangel arrives in Japan and oh fuck its him.

Isn't he an american? And didn't we fight him in space? Why is he in Japan?

"Not nearly enough people died pointlessly. We had to up our casualty quotas everywhere else."

5 angsty teens, 2 older women, and 3 pilots is more than most UEFA ships get.

Yeah, the definition of traitor mean he would have to be a citizen of the Federation, which he isn't. But then, villains tend to use 40K logic, where all non-Emperor religions are heresy because all humans are meant to beleive in the Emperor by default.

"My position as the nations purveyor of truthiness requires I have great empathy for people I consider completely wrong."

"You explain things? I thought you just stood in front of monitors looking serious."
"And that is explanation enough."

Wait, which of them is the monster? Or do you think they've been sewn together to make some kind of frankenstein mutant?

Wait, so the UEFA have the authority to force the OSDG to help them....but not enough to actually have any say in how they help them?

And a big high five to Blade!!

And your lack of competence never fails to make me facepalm.

"Which is why I'm giving you free reign to run all our military operations in the pacific for the next quarter of the game!....Wait..."

"Being smart is expressly forbidden!"

"Its now at 3%. Keep it up and I might spot spitting on you in the corridor!"

"But SITF? Really? Why couldn't you find a synonym for Force that starts with H? You're crippling us here!"

"Which is why I'm leaving now to keep you out of my suck radius."

With the good General heading off to record tonights episode, our heroes begin the process of catching up:

"I mean, letting competent people do their own thing? Thats just not like them...."

Are there any good places to be in this crapsack world?

Its not people who fight, MEgumi, its just Akatsuki.

Aww, you guys have all the fun....

And the award for stupidest form of racism goes too....

Indeed, if Metal Gear Solid 4 taught us anything, its that Private Companies with advanced weapons are always the answer!

Noals dickery is just kinda a thing around the OSDG offices.

Uh.....Its a bit late to take Amnesia as a Flaw, Calvina...

"I helped out, but still...I wasn't *really* helping. Saving your life doesn't count except on tuesdays."

Mazinkaiser: The ultimate example why driving while tired is a bad idea. "I just closed my eyes for a minute and when I opened them again, Colorado was just gone!"

Master Asia is not someone you want as an enemy.

"Hundreds died. It was exceptionally funky."

"I mean, what are the chances of our supercomputer going crazy twice in the same game? I asked our supercomputer, and she calculated it was a 0% chance. So we're fine!"

"No, I've resolved to be better than the average UEFA soldier."

Aren't you guys mercaneries? Who's paying you? Or is the convenience the constant waves of enemies you can kill guilt-free?
[/spoiler]

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #299 on: September 03, 2011, 12:39:15 AM »
Part 16.2: Lets start our brand new job by doing the same thing as two levels ago!

[spoiler]

See? It takes a few weeks, tops. If they'd just let Morgenroete take their simulators we could have earth-made SPTs in no time.

Yeah, real shame he couldn't have any character development along the way. It really would have helped.

Whats the difference between a jet fighter and a space fighter, anyway? And would the difference mean he can't use his nickname anymore?

Don't listen to her, Boss. We all know Boss Borot works on Orky Logik, so its fine.

Unlike Alpha Gaiden, there actually is a point in getting to know the Combattler and Voltes teams, since they get more than one storyline mission each.

I assume this is a honorifics thing.

Oh god, another one.

Its a little annoying to have to retread both teams actions when we only missed one, but it does help show Ruri hasn't lost her edge. Still, I skip over a bit here.

Where there any enemies that could beat us before? Except maybe the Devil Gundam?

Anyway, slight timeskip:

They blast off, leaving the others to prep for launch like the slowpokes they are.

Yay! More angsty teens for the collection!

Wait what? This was never mentioned! And I dont think its mentioned again. Unless I've completely got my characters crossed.

"Because I'm in the Liberal Democrats, I must say no."

Oh right, the physical and mental stress thing, I guess.

"I bet you run Linux, you plebian! Base Unix is the way of real Antibodies!"

...And if they blow it up, it'll be ok so long as it isn't Orphan that kills us all?

Calvinas apparently not worth counting, I guess.

Spoilers: Again, the Love and Friendship bonuses are right there. So this big act really doesn't pan out in game terms.

The game says everyone has to live, for now.

So we arrange our guys in Friendship formation, with Calvina in the middle giving them her Command aura.

We charge in headfirst, as usual. And the Grand Chers still prove to be annoying.

And Calvina is still queen of damage.

Yuu and Hime do slightly more damage, and Hime gets to attack further away dudes because her Antibody level is high enough to extend her Brain Powerd's range.

Enemy turn, and they choose an unexpected target:

Calvina, who apparently, because of a lack of Friendship bonuses, is the easiest person in the formation to hit. Luckily she's right next to 2 support defenders, so all in all this is probably a good outcome.

A few of the Grand Chers decide to go for Nanga, but he's similarly in little danger.

By the beginning of our turn, we're surrounded by very thoroughly pummelled Grand Chers, ripe for the pickings of our lower-XPd guys.

Yuu is surprisingly at an average level for this part of the game, 17 compared to 19 for our best. So I give him a kill.

This triggers the Grand Cher kill limit:

And we get our reinforcements!! Which raises an odd conundrum: Who to use, now that we have two battleships of mechs to choose from?

Three full pages of robots to choose from, including some new faces:

Mazinkaiser is the Ultimate Mazinger, an invincible fortress of black steel, with a ridiculously high armor stat and some very strong weapons. Its Koujis new unit, and such a quantum leap from Mazinger Z, which was already one of our better units, that you'll wonder how you ever used the original.

Great Mazinger is always a funny unit to use: Better than Mazinger Z, worse than Mazinkaiser. Because it always has to be compared to its brothers, it can seem to be a backup unit or something to unlock combo attacks. But really, Great is a perfectly usable Super Robot that can fight with the best of them.
And unlike in Alpha Gaiden, Tetsuya isn't a whining bitch, but a proper older brother to Kouji.

Boss Robot, as said earlier, is a hunk of junk that seems to be kept running more by Boss's force of will and cartoonish tolerance for violent dismemberment than anything else. Its stats are terrible, its attacks mediocre and restricted to ground enemies unless you give it a Flight Unit, and its main use is as a repair and resupply unit in one, a job the Blue Earth does just as well. That said, Boss Borot has some advantages: It carries three pilots, each of which have useful spirit commands both for keeping it alive and for helping others, and it costs next to nothing to repair, if it does get shot down.

Voltes is, as usual, a slightly different version of Combattler, with a difference here and there, but generally hitting the same basic points. If theres a playstyle difference between the two, its that Voltes is more of a closeup fighter, while Combattler eventually shows its ranged chops.

Heres the big shocker of the new arrivals: Ten no Zeorymer, one of the Hakkeshu Robots of the mysterious Tekkoryu cartel. It is probably the strongest non-secret unit in the game, with Super Robot stats, a Barrier that also acts like an Afterimage at 130 will, HP and EN regeneration, and the incredibly powerful Meioh attack, in both direct and map versions (the map version is the first SRW attack I've seen that requires your will to be maxed out to use).
[spoiler]The only robots that can really claim to be equal to it are Mazinkaiser, the Original mechs in their final forms.....and its own upgraded form, which we won't be seeing this time through.[/spoiler]

Of course, we haven't seen these units in a while or at all, so they're behind on upgrades. Luckily, we have the option of ducking into this preparation menu before deployment, a lite version of the intermission screen, which lets us uprgade units, and swap around parts, modules, and even pilots (if for example we wanted to give Simone a spin in the Buldy or even the Layzner)

So, who among this motley band will we use? What will they pilot? And how will we garb them for battle? Answers please!

[/spoiler]