Author Topic: I HAVE FURY!!! Lets Play Super Robot Wars Judgement!  (Read 125023 times)

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: I HAVE FURY!!! Lets Play Super Robot Wars Judgement!
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2011, 07:53:25 PM »
Relationship bonuses are a huge spoiler in this game. They really should have changed in time, like they did in OG2.

I usually give everyone the same frame, and it's never the artillery one - it's meh. Either flight or ground, depending on enemies you face. Ground frames have slight priority, because they have at least one decent anti-air move while air frames have only crappy anti-ground moves. For space missions, 0G frames of course. Remember that you can change a unit's frame if you dock it on Nadesico.

Oh, and all my Aestie pilots focus on melee combat. Gekigan FLAAARE!

Gundam Optimal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Current Roster:

Bellzelute: In most ways, this appears to be a fine unit....for another player. I've never really gotten into the whole 'Snipe them as they come towards you' school of thought, being more of a Kyosuke Nanbu type, charging straight for the middle of the enemy. Thankfully Calvinas Hit and Away means I can compromise as long as the enemy are within range before she moves, otherwise she's reduced to using the Shot Launchers again. The minimum range of 3-4 squares on her best attacks can be annoying when fighting melee enemies.
The Bellzelutes dodge can easily be increased to obscene levels, but I've been avoiding doing so since, as I've stated, doing that too much will make the enemy ignore it in favour of other units, meaning less XP. But with Originals favorited, Calvinas already on level 7 while most are on 5 still, so she's not hurting too badly for levels or anything.

Aestivalises: All these units are useful but never gamebreaking. They're survivable reals with great barriers and lots of support skills, so they're never a bad pick. But without big attacks, they're never your stars either.
The Mints/Angels: These are probably the best Aestis because they're guaranteed to have Formation attacks. Also, since they're 'support' characters, they tend to have useful spirits as opposed to a main characters usual suite of combat stuff.
Akito: Akitos main character status means he has the most combat-oriented spirit commands, so he'll stay alive and do some damage with his Distortion Attack or whatever. He's also useful as a stat booster for Yurika on the Nadesico, and others in the team apparently.
Akatsuki: Because he has Accel, Alert, and apparently no incentive to stick around in the Group Hug, Akatsuki is good for flanking and picking off enemies on the sidelines of battle. What he isn't good at is diving into the middle of crowds, because he doesn't have focus. Perhaps if you upgraded him enough, he could do that, but so can any character with upgrades and Accel.

Mazinger: The toughest super robot we've got, Mazinger can take big hits with ease and laugh at the enemies efforts, drawing attention away from all our more vunerable units. But apparently he left his firepower in my other games because he just can't seem to kill anything until he gets to 130 will and his Mazinpower activates. Which is an issue because he's got decent but not the greatest speed, so he tends to be just a little behind our first wave and doesn't always get attacked. Definitely a powerhouse but one that needs development or a strategy rethink.
Aphrodite: Sayakas mech is basically an equippable item attached to Mazinger to heal it and boost its damage. Its a useful repair unit at a point where we don't have as many, but it can't really function on its own as it can't dodge or take more than a few hits. Hence keeping it next to Mazinger so the enemy go for it seems to be the only strategy.

Layzner: Layzner hasn't really begun to shine yet as it has to unlock certain things first, so right now its a real with decent but not overly damaging attack that works best at close range. Eijis accel means we could use it as a deep striker if we were willing to burn spirit points, but with the Layzner Formation our current tactic, he's held back.
Baybull: Right now theres little to differentiate Baybull from Layzner, other than that Baybull has less dodge and is thus shot at more, and Davids melee focus means his Knuckle Shot is slightly better than Eijis.
Buldy: A useful little unit for repair and sniping, not a standout but handy.

Combattler: I swear, it was never this good before...Combattlers super robot status, and the fact that it has no real hangers-on to slow it down, means its the enemies favorite punching bag, and it seems to be well able to survive with spirit commands (5 pilots after all) and heals from the Blue Earth. And with the high will from all the fighting, its big attacks get unlocked quickly for lots of killing power. It may be a quirk of the game mechanics but right now its one of our best units....It still looks ugly though.
One could argue that having it around is sucking up XP that could be going to our other units, so making it slower by taking off its Booster, or sidelining it altogether, might change that.

Blue Earth: A very useful support vessel thats never bad to have around. could stand to be improved a little, but doing well enough as it is.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2011, 12:22:17 AM »
Mazinger Z sucks offensively (without Mazin Power that is) because Kouji later upgrades to a different machine. A much stronger one. Trust me.

Layzner units kinda suck at the moment. They dodge well but their attack power leaves something to be desired. As always, wait for upgrades... for Layzner itself, that is. The two others don't upgrade, they just learn a group attack.

Combattler usually is a good unit. It's not liked because it's... yeah, ugly.

Nerd-o-rama

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »
For the puzzle, move Ryoko onto a Colony space and punch the Radam.  The added Defense from terrain should let her survive.  Then have Akito kill it with his machine gun.  Also go for Land Frames for your Aesties on this next level - all the enemies are on the ground (I'm a Newtype, I can see the future).

By the way, you should probably start putting some upgrades into either Bellzelute's or Nadesico's weapons (or the battleship you're about to get next level).  In a couple of missions, the game's going to start throwing pairs of bosses at you that both retreat if one of them gets knocked down to critical - this seems to be ZAFT's official policy.  If you want both the money of a battleship and the items and XP of a named character boss, you're going to have to use strong MAP attacks like O Rifle A or the Gravity Blast Cannon.

Also don't always be too quick to get Calvina out of the red health zone - it was probably necessary this time, but as she levels up, she gets several levels in Prevail, which increases pretty much all of her stats at low HP and can make her unhittable without preventing enemies from targeting her, not to mention give her more damage and consistent crits.  Of course, surviving to get down into the red is another story...

Oh, and one more thing - I like having Calvina hang out with the Layzner Formation to give them all Leadership bonuses (Aestis get it from Ryoko or Yurika and supers don't need it).  Have Calvina and Roanne snipe and move in, then Eiji and David fly in next to them to punch things.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:33:50 PM by Nerd-o-rama »

OvermanXAN

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2011, 11:20:37 PM »
Ground units.

Also, just a general recommendation AGAINST upgrading Combattler. Given the route we're likely to go it's going to be out of our party for a gooood while. Also it gets forced removed for a long while during the midgame REGARDLESS of what route we take...
This space for rent

Decessor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
If Combattler needs to be pumped up more for later game shenanigans, then keep it about. Otherwise, it does seem pretty damn powerful at the moment compared to the others.

For the rest:

Bellzelute, The Mints/Angels, Mazinger, Aphrodite, Layzner, Buldy, Blue Earth

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
Part 6.1: Surely a place so idyllic couldn't be a trouble spot, right?

As explained, the secret here is to rely on the defense benefits of the nearby colony, which raises Ryokos defense enough that, in combination with the Distortion Field, allows her to take a shot without dying. Akito finishes the thing off, and we get 5000 credits and a defense booster.

Taking a mix of the suggestion for the Aestis, I put Akatsuki in an Artillery Frame, thinking his Accel and Alert spirit commands will get it into position and keep it safe. The Mints get Ground Frames and Akito goes aerial.

We have enough funds to give a bar of weapons power to Bellzelute and the Nadesico, but that doesn't leave a lot left over, and in any case you guys only told me to upgrade weapons. Apparently you all scoff at the concept of upping our mechs survivability, prefering to focus on killing power instead. We'll see how that works out.

Aki and Noel call their boss Freeman, who promises to use our info for good. Well, the alternative is giving it to the UEFA, so I think this was probably the best option.

"We tried asking them, but they raped the ambassadors to death and then vomited on the corpses."

"Gee Whillikers, drat those motherhumpers."

If I might put my science hat on for a minute, if we were to meet beings from a different planet who happened to look and act exactly like humans in every observable way, even under a medical examination, then frankly I'd expect them to be the same genetically too. Sure, you'd be able to tell which planet they're from with a DNA test, but I wouldn't take it as granted that if they're so similar, that there'd be a random difference in the DNA that just happened to be the only distinguishing non-human feature.

"Its not hazing, its roleplaying! Our characters don't know the new guy isn't an NPC, so they have to torture him for information like everyone else they meet! We're just trying to be realistic!"

Meanwhile, it seems we've picked up another Nergal employee from the local branch.

"I mean, its not like he has a life aside from doting on me, right?"

Their Suck might be infectious, for one...

I really wouldn't call it 'sordid', unless they get up to some wierd stuff in the bedroom involving leather thongs and leftover noodles.

I do try to give Jun screen time, because the poor bastard deserves it, but even the writers of this game give him nothing to do.

Anyway, shock horror, the new arrivals are in cahoots.

....Not sure if evil.

Meanwhile, we skip to the one building in the colony that isn't a clothes store, as some teens chat about how wonderful life is and how much they like not being in a warzone:

"That sounds incredibly non-suspicious and unthreatening to our idyllic colony life. So, how's that war being fought with giant robots going?"

Anyway, Kira spots a girl doing that '...' thing at his Completely Peaceful computer program.

"He's going to be busy for a few hours while he talks with the guys from Hitlerbot Inc. and the Genocidetron design team, but luckily theres enough of those little mints that she won't be too bored."

Meanwhile, outside:

Does no-one see this warship? Does it have a cloaking device? Or are these people so Neutral that a deadly warship can fly around the colony scanning for weak points and launching commando teams and they just shrug?

Anyway, Akito is still crying into that Gekiganger hug pillow:

"Also, you weren't eating, so I stole your fridge."

Don't get me started on that again, Akatsuki. Not if you know whats good for ya...

....I'm sorry, what was the point of that little argument? Akatsuki is saying that Akito is afraid, but that he also likes war, but Akito says he likes peace, but also that he wants to help all the people fighting the war....Does anyone know that they're goddamn doing on this ship?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:40:25 AM by Gundam Optimal »
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
Part 6.2: Why are only our homes and children burning?!

Wait, how do you spread rumors during a giant robot attack? Is someone tweeting this even as mobile suits step on his family? @InnocentGuy: "Giant green robo-thing stepped on house. Mom was hit by shell casing and spine broke. Guess theres no party tonight."

Most of the group head for a shelter, but Kira spots the girl from earlier heading a different way.

Theres a very cheap explosion effect.

Kira: "I'm the main character, bitch!"

Inside the factory, we see a group from the UEFA:

Wait, so Twitter is up, but not high-profile military comms channels?

Kira and the girl stumble in:

Lines like this will be sooooo ironic later on.

Well, granted, they are idiots, but how does building walls that develop breaches when shelled with high-explosive ammunition from giant robots mark them out as particularly stupid?

While I can see why having a nuetral country build your weapons for you might help take the heat off your own beleaugered factories, theres one major problem: The nuetral country won't have any patriotism for your cause and the people in the factory will only be as loyal as you pay them to be. All it takes is one employee who loses his dental benefits and doesn't take it well, and suddenly the enemy have a full report on your new superweapon. This would be a pretty big plot hole except that, as presented here, the UEFA really are stupid enough to not think of this.

"I can say 'behind' in this job, right? I won't get fired if I mean it to mean 'ass', right?"

This is basically Arthurs catchphrase from here on out, just letting you know.

"I have to get used to the fact that half my blood comes from Racists, and half comes from Idiots."

I'm not 100% sure what Calvinas talking about here.

Does Akatsuki get paid extra for every Michael Bays worth of douchebaggery he comes out with?

I think that one line removes all doubt that Yurika is a PC.

It'd be funny to see one end of the colony pop open and the rest shoot through space like a balloon though.

Inside, the factory is awash with explosions, as Zaft forces surround it, including 3 unusual units:

Hold on....What?

You just bug-fixed a faulty Operating System that you've never seen before in the space of a few seconds? But...The OS for something like that must be thousands of lines long minimum, how did you even find all the issues in that amount of time? Theres being really smart and good at computers, and theres being the fucking Flash!

...You're filesharing the patch, right? You're not individually all making your own personal version of the OS just to show off...right?

And off they go....Wait, why were the barely-completed prototypes fully fueled to fly out of the colony and into space? I thought the UEFA were about to take them and ship them out, which sounds to me like the time to make sure they're fully unloaded.

Meanwhile, Kira has apparently gotten rid of the girl and has stumbled into a firefight:

Thats pretty harsh capacity rules considering these shelters have to be roomy enough for long-term survival. You really couldn't have fit one extra lanky teenager in?

The woman in the UEFA uniform is hit, and the two crawl into the cover of one of the robots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32VWELcZUMM

Murrue's traditional upbringing kicks in and she opens up on Athrun to make him break the longing stare and back off, then jumps into the robot and pulls Kira onto her lap.

"I was just born this way, you know..."

"Something beautiful, Miguel, but I can't be sure what it really was...."

Noooooo, not Rusty! DAMN YOOOOUU, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!

"Unless, he were to become....A Player Character!! But that's impossible!!!"

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2011, 09:41:59 PM »
Alas, poor Rusty. Steam knew him well.

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »
Part 6.3: Naked Robot Funtime

"Its like freshman year all over again."

The robot activates its Plot Armor, which blocks a shot from the ZAFT mobile suits. Obviously this is Cutscene Power, In-game Phase Shift Armor only blocks around 800 damage, and then only from missiles and shells, with Beams going right through. Since this unit is a Real it'll usually take 1500-2000 damage from most attacks, so the PS Armor is only so useful.

Wait, so you knew nothing about the giant robots you were seemingly helping to write the software for, but you did know about the special charged armor they used? How the frak does that work?

You went from screaming 'Hey you!' in her ear to begging 'please don't step on them' very quickly, Kira.

Maybe its not the OS, just that you're out of memory. Try closing Firefox and all the Autoupdates that start on startup.

Didn't you spend your summer writing this very program? Or did you get Sai and Kuzzey to do it while you played Minesweeper and Farmville?

"Also, I want a bucket of icecream! And your firstborn!"

"The woman should be in the mans lap. Thats how God intended it!"

Of course it isn't, its a main character's Gundam. If it looked like actual military hardware it wouldn't sell as many model kits.

Its currently armed with two knives and some machine guns barely rated for shooting down missiles, I should point out.

Why not? Thats what we did last time, and that turned out....oh, wait...never mind.

Avoiding damage to the colony basically involves shooting anywhere other than straight down. I think we can deal.

Here you see me desperately trying to deploy my guys while leaving one slot open as a memorial for Gai, but alas, the game doesn't allow it. So we're going in with everyone, which I'm a little surprised at, as I thought we were hitting the unit limit, but ok.

....That was terrible, Koji.

Akito shares our annoyance at Akatsuki doing the 'Humans will always make war on each other' speech way too early.

"Quit apologising already! Your people are just dicks to each other, while my people, er, half-people, are dicks to the whole galaxy. It evens out."

You should be a poet, Calvina. A crazy, weed-fueled poet.

"I'm not sure how I became the master of the most advanced killing machine in the UEFA arsenal, but thats how it turned out." That....is so PC dialogue it hurts.

Kiras friends seem just as relaxed about this whole deal as he is.

At least it took him, oh, 5 minutes while most of the crew were talking, rather than the 5 seconds of the ZAFT guys.

Battle is finally joined and Akatsuki is up first, as his Accel command lets him cover more ground even in the slower Artillery frame. And his Alert command allows him to compensate for the frames low dodge.

Again, Combattler gets stuck in too. The one space of extra speed from the booster really does make a difference.

Murrue is a temporary extra pilot despite being in the worst possible position to help someone pilot anything, so I use her spirit commands rather than Kiras to keep our new unit, the Strike Gundam, safe (This was actually kinda a dumb move since Kira gets a spirit point recharge during this level and Murrue doesn't, but meh, always useful to have Wall on a Real Robot with a barrier).

Anyway, once Focus is up, we charge at the ZAFT units and, erm....give them a nasty poke. Can ya tell this unit was the UEFAs last best hope?

The formation after turn 1: The Nadesico and Layzner formations in the rear, Akatsuki and Combattler out front, with Mazinger and Aphrodite in the middle. Fairly typical of how things have gone so far, really.

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »
Part 6.4: More GINNs demolished than a frathouse graduation party

We begin the enemy turn by seeing just how much Combattler enjoys its job. The usual routine of the enemies shooting at it, gradually using up the spirit commands and Blue Earth Support Defense, before being mauled, plays out again.

One genius tries to be a hero, but just ends up An Hero.

Kira shanks the dude he damaged earlier. The SEED series bonus means he earns us a cool 1000 credits per kill.

However, because he literally has no ranged weapons, most of the enemies are too far away from him to counter, so he just has to evade them.

On our turn, Akito is the only one of the Nadesico crew able to reach a target. This, in fact is pretty much the only battle they get except for a shot or two from the Nadesico, and I don't think the Ground Frame is to blame. The Nadesico is simply spawned too far from the enemy in this battle, and Kira basically has the enemies all to himself.

Similarly, Eiji is the only Layzner guy who gets a shot, though Roanne does help fix a few people.

So most of the action is given to Kira and the speedy Akatsuki.

Miguel makes his move, but Kira dodges without too much trouble.

Calvina takes on the enemy ace. The Bellzelute is doing well, for a simple reason: These mobile suits are Medium sized, while most of the enemies up till now have been Small, and thus got bonuses to hit medium-sized units like the Bellzelute. Also, those Ion cannons are really inaccurate.

....Magic Bullet of Dusk? Thats your nickname? Seriously?

We punish him for his incredibly stupid nickname by killing him in the most ignoble fashion.

End of our turn, and theres one enemy left, who I wasn't quite able to finish off with Akatsuki's missiles. This possibly means things could get hairy in a moment, but I don't have much option but to end the turn.

Sure enough, the last GINN charges straight at Combattler and dies, triggering an event:

.....Badgirl? We've literally got a character called Badgirl in this game, and she's apparently on our side?

...How does that work? Where the entire command staff outside on a smoke break, and the smoking section got grenaded?

http://streamlikehell.co.cc/covers/ship_archangel_a.gif

The Strike moves to the ship and heads inside, as another UEFA unit shows up.

Yup, sounds about right.

Yup, sounds about right.

To punctuate this, the screen shakes to represent an explosion, or maybe that the cameramans drunk, I dunno.

Stop mixing political observation in with your status reports, please.

Looks like its less Badgirl and more Bitchgirl.

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Part 6.5: Hello? I'm not dead! I'm just very badly burnt!

The interruption to the action continues as a second boss and his squadron arrive:

Our new pal and new enemy have backstory together, it seems. Probably meant to hint at spinoff manga or the like. Still, the fact that they apparently get a little feeling when they're near each other is interesting. [spoiler]Could it be implying they're Newtypes?[/spoiler]

Kira reappears with a properly equipped Strike. Thank the lord for Cutscene Time.

Yes, Mr. Ultra-Genius, the robot named after a sword has a sword. Well done.

I would have thought the 'Or else Space Nazis will kill you' excuse would be enough to bypass this debate.

Anyway, talking is finally done and we get back to fighting. Since its still the enemy turn, they all decide to focus on the closest tempting target, which happens to be Akatsuki, hiding in a building.

Now you might think, based on that Video, he's in an ok position. He only has a 50-60% chance to be hit, and doesn't take too much damage. You think he'll take a few knocks, his will will build up, and he'll start one-shotting dudes with that main cannon.

But you'd be wrong, because the closer ones start using their Ion cannons, which despite being less accurate get several hits and cut through his D-Field like butter.

And sure enough, despite the odds, Akatsuki chokes and goes down in flames. Our first casualty!! Wooo!

Our turn comes and I start moving guys up again. The Archangel quickly shows how much its not designed for moving, with average flight speed, no decent post-move weapons and (currently) no Accel or Assault commands to help rectify this. The Nadesicos missile launcher might not be devestating but they're useful and allow it to fire on the move, the Archangel practically demands either spirit abuse or you setting it up so the enemy comes to you.
To be fair, the battleships in most games are like this, so its less a matter of the Archangel sucking as the Nadesico being awesome.

But lets not lament that, the real star of this show is Kira, and the little hand says it's Hero Time!!

Mu also charges in, firing his basic gun to minimal but appreciated effect.

Oh, David did get to do something this map. Cool, need to keep the massive throngs of David fangirls happy.

Yeah, Eiji's already doing very well with just the basic bonuses, now that the enemies are bigger than him.

Y'know, I'm thinking this idea of Calvina going with the Layner Formation might work.

With our will pumped by the previous wave, the enemy really aren't a threat to our guys anymore. (Except for Akatsuki, apparently)

Something incredible happens during this turn: Mazinger manages to dodge something! Man, these enemies suck.

Not that they can really hurt him anyway.

This really says all you need to know about the enemy AI in this game.

Mu kicks some ass of his own, and shows off his ability to control multiple gundrones to attack from multiple angles. [spoiler]Another 'newtype' ability?[/spoiler]

Ok, when the enemy are actually in range, the Archangel is pretty good.

Mazinpower just kicked in yo. Kouji finally gets an overdue level-up and the important Wall command.

And Kira joins in too. They're almost all gone, except for that masked dude. We start off by having Calvina try to take him on from range. Thats not quite enough, and in order to finish them off this turn, I let my impatience get the better of me and let Combattler have another kill.

Rau doesn't think much of our Super Death Robot and XP Sponge.

Five sets of Spirits, bitch!

We don't ask how a 50-meter tall robot drills through one less than half its hieght.

XP and parts, including another HE Radar. Yayifications!

They never seem to realise that all their allies are already dead when they say this.

I mean, its not like we're gonna treat you seriously, so you have to be the bigger man.

O'Niell cylinders, being huge and all, aren't going to leak all their contents just because a few holes have been poked in it. It would take days for the air to leak out, during which time one hopes that repairs can be made and the air somewhat reclaimed. It still ain't healthy to be outside, of course, what with the gale-force winds forming cyclones around the holes.

Escort mission! Wooo.

Ramius knows how to discipline Badgiruels.

'The ship just can't function without a months supply whipped cream and lube onboard.'

'Which means we're obligated as PCs to do the opposite!'

'That sounds like a challenge!! Gentlemen, we must kill the Earths Stratosphere! Start making plans.'

AHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHA

Don't worry, Badgirl, we'll leave no room for doubt.

Fixing Akatsuki's Aesty is quick and easy, apparently taking mere minutes, but takes a slice out of our earnings for the level. We might have to do something about this in future.

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:33 PM »
Part 6.6: 'You look doomed and incompetent enough to be our fellow adventurers. Why not join our merry band?'

We now return to Exposition/Angst mode:

'-cut all those guys in half? Well, I found this sword the size of a jet fighter, and then I-'

'Except Kuzzey. Fuck that guy.'

'Well you s-'

Apparently the UEFA are just so used to picking up the bedraggled survivors of other operations that its barely a formality anymore. Even after they butt into your vital conversations, granting permission is barely worth mentioning.

'Whats so funny about my-"
'Its the most japanese thing ever, thats what. Yamato, really? God, even the Hungarians we sell this show to will be able to tell you're Japanese.'

I can just imagine her pulling out a tommy gun or something that she carries specifically so she can turn on her allies.

This line never works and I never can tell why. Why do people like Natarle assume that suspicious people would bust their asses to save their lives only to kill them themselves a little later? Is it some kind of entitlement complex? 'God told me that my death would be at least as convoluted as the plot of Metal Gear Solid 2.'?

'Yeah, what she said!!....Wait, who are you again?'

Mu is currently the most mature person on the ship and he can barely stand to be in the presence of Natarle and Kira for more than 30 seconds. That should say something.

This....shouldn't even come up. Mu is obviously the air force equivalent while Murrue is 'navy', and those are vastly different fields. You wouldn't put even the highest-ranking pilot in charge of an aircraft carrier, even a deckhand would have a better idea of what the ship needs to function and fight. But since Gundam plots have trouble with the whole 'multidisciplinary fighting force' thing and just lump everyone in one United Federation Army, apparently even the dentist can captain the ship if he's the ranking officer.

Anyway, Murrue is kept in charge, and we move to see what the ZAFT guys are doing.

'And dead. But mostly a laughingstock.'

...Wait, what data? The shitty OSs? Or did Morgenroete, the supposedly competent robot-makers around here, somehow leave gigabytes of field testing data in the Gundams themselves, as opposed to, y'know, their nice secure computers, where it'd actually be used? These kinds of mecha series really like to wank on about 'combat data', but they never explain what kind of data they mean. We're apparently supposed to guess.

And we're back in Intermission. Checking the roster, we see that Kira is a forced deployment next time, no surprise. Also, we can choose whether Murrue or Natarle is in charge of the Archangel.
[spoiler]Unlike Ruri and Yurika, theres basically no debate here. Theres no reason why you'd put Natarle in charge of the Archangel, and even if you did, the game would just mess with you anyway.[/spoiler]

So now we have our second Battleship, the Mobius Zero mobile armor for use in space, and the Strike Gundam and its three swappable packs.

The Aile pack gives the Gundam speed and mobility, making it a good choice to boost our ability to dodge. It suffers in offensive power though, its weapons lacking both range and punch.

The Sword pack has less mobility and is slower, but has its big sword, which is a powerful melee weapon and doesn't cost energy. This is short-range armament however.

And the Launcher pack is made of guns, with superb range and shooting power, and a map attack. The best weapons are More or Fire though, and cost either ammo or a lot of energy. The Packs work like Aestivalis Frames, and can be switched at intermission or by putting the Strike on a battleship for a turn

While you ruminate on that, heres our Puzzle Robo for the level.

We have the Buldy facing three damaged Gradosian units, and we have to destroy one of them. The main cannon is move or fire and has a minimum range of 3 squares, or we can use the Knuckle Shots despite Roanne being a ranged character.

Okay!! Solve the puzzle, pick which pack we'll be using with the Strike for the time being, suggest whether we just use Zero-G frames again or try Artillery Frames one more time on the Aesties, decide whether Akatsuki should be reinforced or punished, and in general say where our funds and parts should go.

Stealthyboy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »
Okay!! Solve the puzzle, pick which pack we'll be using with the Strike for the time being, suggest whether we just use Zero-G frames again or try Artillery Frames one more time on the Aesties, decide whether Akatsuki should be reinforced or punished, and in general say where our funds and parts should go.

Launcher Strike is pretty good in space, at least if Kira has Hit And Away. I can't remember if he has it automatically, so if he doesn't, feel free to go Sword Strike until you can give him it. Aile Strike should only be used on Earth/In colony, at least until you can give the other Strike's a flight unit instead. Aesties can go all 0G.

Akatsuki is, to put it bluntly, a bit useless, mainly due to him lacking Focus.

Lets boost the Strike's EN a bit, it'll need it for Launcher's big gun. Giving it some mobility boost wouldn't go amiss either.

As for the puzzle, I can't remember this one, so I'll give it a go!

I'd say... Shoulder Cannon the one on the asteroid, I believe it's the one with the lesser terrain bonus...

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
This game started the tradition of the Aile striker pack being terrible. It's fast, but its damage output is just... urgh. Use it only when facing aquatic enemies, because for some reason the beam sword is great against them.

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
This game started the tradition of the Aile striker pack being terrible. It's fast, but its damage output is just... urgh. Use it only when facing aquatic enemies, because for some reason the beam sword is great against them.

I never got why Beam Rifles have Ds in Water but Beam Sabers usually have As or Bs. Aren't they the same technology? Are they specially designed with Water in mind, and if so, why can't they improve the rifle? Stupid arbitrary balance.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
Here's how UC Gundam did it, and I guess everyone just copied it.

Beam melee weapons: a "sheath" of Minovsky particles that is full of super-hot mega particles inside. Later, a technology to form this sheath into different shapes was perfected, so you get crazy stuff like beam scythes (or was that Wing?) and other weird shapes.

Beam ranged weapons: just an emission of a huge mass of mega particles that barely sticks together. It easily disperses underwater.

There are special underwater-use beam guns, I guess their mega particles are protected by the same sheathe as with beam sabers. How did they do that without constant access to a Minovsky generator? Magic, I guess. At any rate, it's complicated and expensive so it's rarely used.

Yeah, I'm a Minovsky particle nut.

OvermanXAN

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »
I'd say that even though Kira's stats don't fully support it, Sword Strike is flat out BETTER than all the other packs. Speaking of stuff that's just flat out better, the 0G frame should ALWAYS be what you're using in space missions. Always. And Punish Akatsuki. That'll teach him for having a fucking worthless Aestivalis II in W >:(
This space for rent

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »
You said it. Aestivalis II is pathetically weak, especially for a secret unit. Good that it comes wrapped up together with two other, more badass machines.

Which is why in W, I give post-timeskip (it's not spoilers, J doesn't have that) Akatsuki the X-stivalis. And this theme song.

Decessor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
Launcher pack. More shooting!

Upgrade Akatsuki. Armour seems like a plan. Unless his dodge is really terrible.

HE Radar and cartridge, not sure what these do.

EDIT: In that case, cartridge to whoever we cannot afford to have run dry in a critical battle and HE radar to a unit that is behind on xp (for counterattacks). Don't bother with dodge for Akatsuki.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:34:43 PM by Decessor »