Author Topic: I HAVE FURY!!! Lets Play Super Robot Wars Judgement!  (Read 124972 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: I HAVE FURY!!! Lets Play Super Robot Wars Judgement!
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »
As for frames, I like the idea of mostly air with one in artillery. The girls? Why not.
There are five Aest pilots, the two guys and the three girls. Giving each member of the group the same frame lets them use a combination attack (i.e. there's an Akito/Gai combination and a Ryoko/Hikaru/Izumi combination).

So it would make more sense to give Artillery Frames to both Gai and Akito (their Artillery Combination is the "Ganger-Cross" he was shouting about).
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Stealthyboy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »
As for frames, I like the idea of mostly air with one in artillery. The girls? Why not.
There are five Aest pilots, the two guys and the three girls. Giving each member of the group the same frame lets them use a combination attack (i.e. there's an Akito/Gai combination and a Ryoko/Hikaru/Izumi combination).

So it would make more sense to give Artillery Frames to both Gai and Akito (their Artillery Combination is the "Ganger-Cross" he was shouting about).

However... Gai and Akito (Especially Gai, gotta love that BURNING SUPER ROBOT SPIRIT of his...)are more designed to be melee fighters. Putting them in the Artillery frame doesn't play to their strengths.

Decessor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »
I see! Then I subtly change my vote to "whoever has a decent artillery combo in art frame, the rest in air"

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2011, 06:25:09 AM »

I'm with this one.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Gundam Optimal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2011, 09:18:20 PM »
Part 3.1: With that unpleasantness all behind us...

First the solution to the Puzzle Robo: Simply place Combattler between the ship and its objective. It will fly around our unit and shoot it for minimal damage, and we are credited with solving the puzzle. Not much of a challenge, really.

As agreed, I up the mobility on the Blue Earth and the Bellzelute, and also improve the Bellzelutes other stats. In Alpha Gaiden, one could get away with just upgrading a Real Robots dodge, and be confident that once its hit percentage was zero, you had a perfectly usable unit you could park in front of the enemy and forget about while it killed them. With J, however, its a little different: Enemies tend to attack the units they have the best chance of hurting, which means they'll ignore a unit with too many dodge upgrades. If you fully upgrade a real, you're essentially making it so it only gets XP when it attacks on your turn, when any SRW veteran will tell you the key to victory is setting things up so you hurt the enemy as much as possible on their turn from your counterattacks.

This is a roundabout way of saying that it pays to upgrade a Reals HP and Armor and risk taking a few hits in this game. So we won't go crazy on the Bellzelute just yet. The +16 mobility and +5 from the Servo Motor will do for now.

The Booster goes to Combattler, the slowest of our units other than the Artillery Frames.

The votes were fairly split over what to do with the Aestivalis, but I could see that while Air Frames were favored, people did want to see the Artillery Frames at least once. To maximise the number of Air Frames in use while maintaining combo potential, I gave the ArtFrames to Gai and Akito and let the three girls take the skies.

On the Nadesico, Ruri and Megumi are on night shift when Koji and Sayaka ask for news of Earth.

Or the UEFA nuked it thinking it was a new superweapon. "Oh no!! It emits radio waves! Kill it!"

Theres a flash and a sound of something being absorbed.

So we have cutscene invunerability, eh? Those are the best kind of shields.

So, what, Calvina is now so into the idea of being a pilot again she's trying to make the mecha move without the plot-required copilot? Where's all the Squall-esque meh-ing from level 1? Was her player missing that session but then showed up and was completely different from what the GM thought?

This awkward vagueness about what actually happened in that facility has probably launched hundreds of worrying fanfics and doujins...

I'd question how you could possibly be of use as a Cytron controller with absolutely no idea how it works, but we'll see much later on that Cytron can work around this.
Also, if they were so good at stifling your personality, why were you all dressed in such expressive clothing when we found you?

Good to know everyone is equally suicidal, then.

Thats kinda harsh, Calvina. Gai sounded like he might have had a point that time.

Woah, wait...So the Cytron lets the girls read each others minds? Is that a bug or a feature?

And with that, our character development for the day is done. Back to wacky hijinks!!

Wow, thats flagrant abuse of captains privledges. Yet if I were a PC in this campaign, I can't say I wouldn't do the same.

...Er, for someone other than Akito, at least.

They're apparently watching the climactic scene at the end of Gekiganger 3 where Joe, the second pilot dies while getting the final boss into position to be destroyed. [pointless fanwank]This is in rather out-of-place contrast to Getter, the obvious homage here, where its Musashi, the third pilot (fat guy who drives the tank-like Getter 3) who dies, leaving Joes counterpart Hayato alive. Musashi dying is sorta a tradition at this point in Getter, as he's done it in nearly every incarnation. And I don't care how epic the Gekiganger version is, nothing will top Musashis CMOA in Shin Getter Vs Neo Getter.[/pointless fanwank]

...Thats for damned sure. The most efficient route to Mars, a Hohmann transfer orbit, would take Eight and a half months and would require a delta-V (Total change in velocity, speeding up and slowing down) of 5.6 Kilometers a second. And those are only possible when everything lines up exactly right, which is every two years.

Ok, lets assume they didn't make an orbit (ignoring the massive energy requirements for such a thing), but just went point to point. From the solar system map in the game (Which I tried and failed to get a screen shot of), the two planets were pretty far apart. I've looked up the figures, and I'm going to take 300 million kilometers as the distance, covered in 12 days. Thats an average of 25 million km a day, or over 1,000,000 kmph. To say thats ludicrous as interplanetary speeds go is saying something.

....Wait, so are the nanomachines in the air, or in the soil? Or both? Isn't having inhalable metal machines just floating in the air dangerous for peoples health? How do they stick together in 'colonies' if they're airborne? If something is only a few atoms across I can't see it having propellors or jet engines or anything...

Thankfully, explosions in the game prevent explosions in my brain.

Oh awesome, some action!! I was getting annoyed at all the stupid sci-

....The battle is in text boxes? Really?

Because murder is fun for the whole family!! Just like incest! ;D

DON'T JINX IT YOU MORON!
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2011, 10:36:43 PM »
Part 3.2: Oh look, the plot is screwing us over. Gee, I'd never have expected that.

With the battle done (And no XP or money gained, which is what I'm really pissed about), the plot marches on.

So they are in the upper atmosphere! But if they are, how the heck do they improve the soil? Do little robot balloons ferry martian rust-soil up to be processed into soil, nanomachines, and other carcinogens that you really shouldn't be messing around with in the upper atmosphere of your new planet? Are they that afraid of their nanomachines going rampant and eating the planet?

Ruri, I just calculated that your ship can fly at speeds of 300 kilometers a second. Thats like a jet pilot saying 'There are no enemies making wierd faces against the canopy.

....DaDaDUN!

Lies. Noal traded his ability to feel optimistic thoughts for a candy bar ages ago.

The....Ship? (Its not entirely clear) is picked up, and we see who we've got.

Roannes going to be one of those glasses-wearing sidekicks, isn't he?

...Could you be more specific?

....Heero? Jiron? Kidd? Wait, wrong SRW.

Nice to see your heroic concern for the mechanic there, Koji.

...That sounded more like the back of the DVD box than an explanation. Fan of Stan Lee, Dr. Elizabeth?

Oh, and thanks for not explaining what a Super-Powered Tracer is.

A Wipe:

"A very dear friend, but not as dear as Adolf or Benito."

Get used to this 'half my blood' bullshit, because it comes up in nearly every goddamn conversation Eiji has. The way he talks you'd think half his blood were alive and telling him to do things. That is not how genetics works, Japan. If it did, every half-black person in the world would be running back to Africa to end exploitation and sectarian violence. Doesn't that sound racist and stupid, Japan? Well, it goddamn should.

Chronic Backstabbing Disorder is not a real illness, goddammit!

Maybe its just because I'm Irish and my 'ancestral homeland' is the same few square miles of stormswept bog that I grew up in, but I feel that the sudden change of topic isn't helping your case that earth needs to be warned.

Also, Eiji is in for some EPIC dissappointment when he sees who runs things on earth.

Uh....Didn't the Federation nuke them first?

This girl has been lost on Mars for 6 months, with no contact with Earth, and she *still* knows exactly how much the UEFA sucks.

Anyway, theres a brief conversation between Akito and Megumi that doesn't really give any new info, and then we get to the shelter at last.

Wow...That was pure exposition. In its raw form. Dr. Elizabeth, all is forgiven.

Well thanks, Little Miss Negative.

Theres a scene change for no clear reason:

....Can we get Gai back as our Doesn't-Shut-Up Person?
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2011, 11:33:29 PM »
Part 3.3: So, all we got out of that was some bratty kids, tiny robots, and two walking exposition-bots. Maybe earth wasn't such a bad place to be after all.

"-That we're going to leave them to starve to death in pools of their own bodily waste while we fly back to earth in our jaccuzi-equipped invincible battleship? Yeah, that what I think we should do."

But no, seriously, what problem do these people have with the Nadesico? Fressange claims is more dangerous to be onboard it? Why? Does she think we're going to ram the first enemy battleship we see? Heck, with the Distortion Field, I'm fairly certain we could do just that and come off unscathed!! Do these morons really think waiting for years for a 'better' rescue is the smart call?

....If the Tulips were really that good, and capable of launching infinite troops in no time, the Earth would already be Grados Colony #9123. There obviously have to be limits to how much they can deploy, or how long they can keep their portals open before needing to recharge. Sure, thats no guarantee we'd be able to handle the numbers, but dammit woman, you're more pessimistic than Noal!

[spoiler]And the thing that gets me is that later on in the game, she has none of this pessimism as all. She's practically chipper. Probably because she gets to exposit so much.[/spoiler]

WILL YOU STOP BEING SO SMUG ABOUT OUR IMPENDING DOOM?!?

Yeah, this is Talking Heads mode. If it were in-game, we'd have no trouble at all.

GOD DAMN you are annoying.

I can see the two players looking at each other thinking "Well, I know I wrote Lawful Good on my sheet, but maybe thats not exactly the kind of character I had in mind.

The screen whites out...

....Wait, why the hell did you come aboard the ship again? To tell us that no-one else in the shelter wanted to come aboard? Forgive me for being paranoid, but....

FUCK YOU!! ITS LEVEL 3!! THERE'S OVER 50 STAGES LEFT TO GO!

Well, looks like its finally Go Time.

Classy. The old 'Monkeys' routine, yet you look exactly like us, so what the fuck did you evolve from that was so non-monkey?

YES WE KNOW SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY

So I suppose you're going to half-exterminate Eiji then?

Oddly enough, despite this being Eiji's big debut, keeping him alive isn't one of the mission objectives. Everyone in the team can crash and burn, so long as the Nadesico is still flying at the end it counts as a win.

The initial tactical map, to give an idea where the enemy are in relation to us.

This is Eijis unit, the Grados Superweapon that was talked about, the Layzner. Its small, fast (and Eiji has Accel), and has an interesting mix of medium and long-range attack (but the long-range missiles have low ammo). It doesn't have an Aestivalis' field, though, so right now its not the most impressive unit. [spoiler]This will change.[/spoiler]

David and Roanne also have SPTs looted from the Gradosians. The Baybull is a lesser version of the Layner without the missiles, so its a close range unit, which can also resupply allies. The Buldy (worst name ever) is shockingly enough a long-range unit thanks to its shoulder cannon, but it also a repair unit, making it handy for support.

And finally, this mission Calvinas copilot is Katia, who has a different set of spirit commands. Break is useful for bypassing forcefields and the like, while Bless helps to get big rewards of bosses and enemy ships. We can Bless once or Break twice.

So, whats our strategy folks? In particular, what should we do about this Gale fellow? Should Eiji try to reason with him, or will we just shoot him down and damn the consequences? Prompt suggestions would be appreciated.

Stealthyboy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2011, 11:54:02 PM »
Gale's pretty bro. I say we try to CONVINCE him.

Strategy wise, we should keep the Aesties together and within the Nadesico's field, and also keep the three SPT's together.

Friendship bonuses can be really nice things, especially when multiple are stacked together. The Aestivalis's combo attacks only work when the units involved are next to each other too.

Stealthyboy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
Remember to keep the cooking kid near the Nadesico since the captain is all heads over heels for him (shame it's not the other way around... For now).

Speaking of  :love Love :love bonuses, the leader of the three Angels has a Love bonus to give to Akito too, so keeping her next to him will also help to boost his damage.

Lucky bastard. Poor guy.

[spoiler] :shakefist :shakefist :shakefist :shakefist :shakefist :shakefist :shakefist :shakefist :shakefist[/spoiler]

Decessor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »
Convince Gale. We can use more NPCs.

Funky new spirit commands sound like a plan. Rack up them xp!

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »
Part 3.4: Suddenly I find myself only having to take a large number of screenshots, not a ridiculous number.

As agreed, I put everyone into formation to maximise the number of relationship bonuses in play. Unfortunately, this means that the Nadesico crew have to hang back to crowd around Akito, who had to stay still so Gai could catch up with him. The swift Bellzelute takes the lead, with Mazinger and Aphrodite right behind.

The enemy attack, starting with Mazinger, who responds with his classic technique. Nice, but not a one-hit kill, unfortunately.

Next up is Bellzelute, with its basic attack. 25% chance to be hit without using spirits is fairly good early on in an SRW, and means the enemy won't ignore the Bellzelute completely, even with easy but tough targets like Mazinger nearby. Its a little annoying that our attacks come so close to killing these guys, but come a few hundred damage short.

Another one comes a little too close for the rifle, so we get to see the pistol attack. Check out the, erm, attention to detail on the animation.

Lower down, Billy's Baybull comes under fire, but he manages to dodge. His lasered gun (just go with it) is noticably less powerful than the attacks of Koji and Calvina, but then he is a melee character.

One rather dim Jovian Lizard unit attacks the Nadesico, with fairly predictable results.

Calvinas been hit a few times, not as badly as in the last level but enough to put her in danger. We heal her up to a point where she won't die in one hit, cast focus to make her basically unhittable, and then have her charge into the middle of the enemy formation shooting. Damage still seems to be lacking somewhat...

With the enemies weakened after their first turn, we can use weaker attacks to finish them off, to save on energy and ammo.

Also, they're a lot closer now, so Gai can get in on the action with his new longrange guns.

Akito also gives it a try. The powerful Artillery Frame weapons come so tantalisingly close to one-shotting these guys.

David tries again, this time with his Knuckle Shots, electrified knuckle-dusters that the SPTs use for melee. It does a lot more than the rifle, but still not quite enough to one-shot the bad guy...and because David flew out ahead of his friends and didn't cast Focus, he gets a hit for his trouble. Still, thats not as bad a hit as it could be.

Roanne heals his bro, because thats what support characters do.

Eiji then does his own Knuckle Shot attack. Again, tantalisingly close...

Again, I can't really move Akito or the Reinforcemints, because you ordered me to keep all the relationship bonuses together.

Interestingly, this screenshot implies Akito *does* love Yurika, but considers Ryoko a friend. I don't think this is a plot point, though, since I've noticed it in places it shouldn't be like the Brain Powerd characters when they've just met for the second time. I think the programmers just didn't bother having the plot affect relationship bonuses at all, so we get things in their late-game state once the plot is wrapping up, instead of how they are right now.

Despite her hit percentage being 0 for them, some of the manned Gradosian units think they can take Calvina anyway, and are treated to lasers to the face for their trouble. Again, not quite dead....

She kills one with a critical though, and levels up, gaining the Support Attack skill and the Snipe spirit command, meaning she can hit things even further away if she needs to.

A weakened Jovian unit makes a long-range attack on Mazinger, with the usual pitiful results, and Koji responds with the Rust Hurricane, a metal-decaying breath weapon that for some reason is one of Mazingers best long-range weapons. Its also a status-causing weapon, reducing armor and making an enemy more vunerable to the attacks of Mazingers allies. There are a few more of these in the game, mainly belonging to enemies but there are a few PC examples.
[spoiler]The main problem with Mazinger having an attack that weakens an enemy boss is that it upgrades to Mazinkaiser, who does such ridiculous amounts of damage in the lategame that any boss so tough as to need its armor weakened, he can usually just brute-force damage to death anyway.[/spoiler]

The enemy ships finally fly in to attack, including one that thinks its advanced weaponry can take Bellzelute. Calvina shows that its not how advanced your weapons are that matters, but how stylish your attack.

One of the main problems of the Baybull is that it lacks any weapons with range greater than 4, so it has to just dodge many enemy missile attacks. They're not much threat when David is getting bonuses off Eiji and Roanne, but its still annoying.

Still, when they do get close, he can show them whats what.

The slaughter of enemies combined with the earlier beatings brings Kojis will to 130, activating Mazinpower, which ups Mazingers damage by 30%.

The AI-controlled battleships really don't have good software for choosing proper targets, do they?

SPTs are small-sized, which gives them accuracy boosts, and melee weapons tend to be more accurate than guns, so Knuckle Shots have a high hit percentage against the Bellzelute when it doesn't have Focus on. Still, Calvina manages the dodge and hits back, her will finally high enough that she can kill in one shot.

Roanne gets hit by another Braver's Knuckle Shot, but tanks it rather well, and hits back with his own, earning his first kill. Treasure it, kid, you probably won't be getting too many more.

Blue Earth has been following Combattler around for most of the fight, keeping it at a reasonable HP level even as the enemy beat on it, so its no surprise its there to support defend from this battleship. Combattler counters with one of its crotch missiles, but the danged Distortion Field makes the pelvic penetrator into a damp squib.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Gales lieutenant Karla appears from the rear lines and begins beating on Combattler like a drum. They have little chance of hitting her, as she's a Real Robot boss, so I just set them to defend to minimise the damage. In the late game, it can be worth keeping a unit at low HP to take advantage of its Potential skill, which boosts stats at low health. At the start of the game, however, it ain't something to rely on.

A similar problem strikes with Gale, who attacks Calvina with a more than reasonable hit percentage. I choose for her to dodge and she does.

On my turn, I respond by having Calvina use her Map attack on Gale and the Grados trooper blocking Eijis path to his brother-in-law, then letting David resupply her, which nets him a sizable chunk of XP. Enough to level up, as a matter of fact.

With the way clear, its down to Eiji.

...Well so much for that.
[spoiler]Still, its an event flag triggered, so we got somewhere.[/spoiler]

At this point, there aren't many enemies left, so I concentrate on finishing off the ships and their damned fields. For some reason I thought that with Mazinpower on, Mazinger Zs best attack would be enough to get through the field, but it didn't work out that way.

Annoyed at the stubborn refusal to die, I finish off the ship with total overkill. Its actually starting to worry me how much more useful Combattler is being for me compared to Mazinger. I don't remember it being like that in my first playthrough, though I did have Mazinger favorited.

Gai tries taking on Karla, but whiffs. Thankfully she has the same range problems as David.

Akito has more success, thanks to all the bonuses he's getting, but still, not a lot of damage.

I try to finish off the other ship with the Nadesicos missiles (can't use the Gravity Blast because I had to reposition next to Akito), but again I underestimate the defense power of those damned Distortions Fields, and their own attack wounds the Nadesico. Nuts. And I wasted Katias Bless too.

Its usually dangerous to use Hikaru's Luck instead of saving her SP for Focus, but with all the formation bonuses we're using, we can risk it.

Hikaru strikes true, and kills the thing with a Distortion Punch. Gravity-Based attacks like the Blast and D-Punchs are the best way to get through a Distortion Field, other than using Break or an attack which ignores special defenses altogether.

Not to be outdone, Ryoko takes aim at Karla, and also wins through.

Karla drops our first Module, a part which is added to a pilot rather than a mech to boost stats or add skills. They allow for a certain level of customisation of pilots, but its hardly a patch on the popular Pilot Points system from the OG games. Nothing like giving all your pilots regenerating Spirit Points, the equivalent of Mazinpower, reduced cost for Spirit Commands and attacks and added move and weapon range. Ah, good times.

Izumi tries to follow her teammates, and bashes Gale to within an inch of his life....only for him to return the favor, despite the dodge bonus from Focus. The D-Field just barely keeps her alive.

With his health in the red, Gale decides to leave, denying us XP and money, but at the least the story advances. Kindly, unlike earlier games, you can check at what HP an enemy is going to retreat at, and try to set things up to KO them so you get loot, but I didn't bother here.

...Its just you thats left, dude.

"I'm so sorry for being born black half-earthling..."

Ah nuts...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:09:07 PM by Gundam Optimal »

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2011, 12:43:15 AM »
Part 3.5: Well, now that we've finished brutalising the reasonable aliens...

It's pronounce 'Mon-Kiegh'. Jeez, can't we get a higher class of racist, at least?

This is always the line with these kinds of aliens, but they never explain in what way we're worthless, when they act in exactly the same way as us at our worst. At least in SRW OG2, the aliens trying to conquer/destroy us have a more reasonable variant of it: Humans are too fucking dangerous and have developed enough weapons and space technology to make every other galactic civilisation shit their pants. Here, they just say we're terrible, and send in their waves of kill-bots.

Its like this guy is trying to compensate for all of Gales moral ambiguity all on his own.

I'm starting to get the impression that he controls his SPT by strangling kittens and kicking puppies.

Finally, Mazinger starts to one-shot mooks with its lesser attacks, like its supposed to.

The positioning of our formation means that most of this new wave are in a position to attack Nadesico, and choose to do so. The result is a slaughter, and a level gained for the crew.

Then on our turn, there are two damaged sitting right in our gunsights...

While the Nadesico holds them off, our repair units desperately try to put Izumis Aestivalis back together.

I always forget to turn off Support Defense, and so my fragile units end up jumping in front of shots aimed at my uber-tanks.

The enemy continue to charge in and get slaughtered. Thankfully, we get a turn to try out some of the Aestivalis combo attacks we were making such a big deal about before.

I think its turn 6 or 7, and this is the entire allotment of units remaining on the map, on one screen.

Poor bastards don't even stand a chance at this stage.

I send in Combattler to deal with the last of the Bravers, but not before preparing it for Gosterros inevitable attack by casting Wall and Strike, to ensure a hit on the dodge-loving bastard. And sure enough, the asshole flies right into our clutches, and gets pounded into the dirt.

Oh goddammit, will you quit it!?

As the Nadesico heads away from the scene:

And thats why people who've had their appendix removed can never be robot pilots.

Might'a helped if you'd taken off your '99 Problems But A Bitch Ain't One' T-shirt before you started the call, Noel.

One of the more refreshing things about old-school anime protagonists like Koji is the lack of teenage romantic tomfoolery. Koji and Sayaka are a steady couple who know whats what, and don't hold up the action or plot angsting over each other. Sure, they argue a fair bit, but at least thats something natural compared most romances in later anime.

"Nothing is useless, because I'm the President of the Great United States of America!"

I really don't know what Akito is so hung up about when it comes to Yurika. He's not gay, he has no other girlfriend that we know of, and she's an old friend. I mean sure, she's obviously insane, but the same could be said for 90% of the people in this game, so I don't see why that'd be such a big factor.

Anyway, back to the intermission:

No real parts to worry about, but we do have the new module to give to someone who needs to improve their dodge ratio.

The Puzzle Robo is another easy one: Layzner versus two enemy Battas, one in a moon crater and one on a base, we have one attack to kill one of them, and we're too far away for Calf Missiles so we'll need to close in and use the Knuckle Shot. What do we do folks?

Also:

Who gets upgrades? Remember, you can upgrade HP, Armor, Dodge, Energy, and Weapon Power on any of our units.
Will we try again to get Gale on our side? How far are we willing to go for him?
Will we try different frames for the Aestivalis?
Any special tactics you want me to try this time? Will I keep the Nadesico Group Hug routine going?
And are there any moves you specifically want videos of this time? Or any other changes to the routine you'd like to suggest?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:07:25 AM by Gundam Optimal »

Stealthyboy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »
Who gets upgrades? Remember, you can upgrade HP, Armor, Dodge, Energy, and Weapon Power on any of our units.
Will we try again to get Gale on our side? How far are we willing to go for him?
Any special tactics you want me to try this time? Will I keep the Nadesico Group Hug routine going?
And are there any moves you specifically want videos of this time? Or any other changes to the routine you'd like to suggest?

Let's put a tiny bit of cash into improving the damage output of our Invincible Fortress of Black Steel
Keep trying to CONVINCE Gale
I say we put Akito and Gai in the Air Frames, like the girls.
Nadesico Group Hug works for me, and will work a lot better with everyone in frames that can actually move faster than a turtle.
How about a video of Buldy's shoulder cannon? For a repair unit, it does pack a nice gun. And of course, if we do put Akito and Gai in Air frames, we need a video of the ever amazing DOUBLE GEKIGAN FLARE.

Once again, I'll be leaving the puzzle robo solution for everyone else to figure out since I've already done it myself before. :p

OvermanXAN

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2011, 12:22:50 AM »
Upgrades: Layzner's Mobility. Possibly its weapons if we have the cash. You'll thank me later.
Gale: If we already tried, then yes, continue.
Frames: Air Frame
Tactics: Nah, we're good.
This space for rent

NHOrus

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »
So, convincing, upgrade Mazinger to be able better oneshot and Bellzelute just to hit better.
Puzzle Robo... We need to strike that Batta what has less armor bonus. I has no idea what Batta it is. Crater?

Decessor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 12:44:03 AM »
Puzzle robo: move into range of one of the enemies guns but within range of calf missles. Counter for win. Also, is it just me or is Calvina changing outfits for different attacks?

More HP on Bellzelute. Counterattacks look great. Getting more bots to oneshot would be a good thing.

All the way. We must have ever more characters on side!

Sure. Airstrikes!

I'm cool with keeping them together.

Ones with huge frakking blasts. I approved of gravity blast.

Stealthyboy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »
Also, is it just me or is Calvina changing outfits for different attacks?

What you're seeing is the way that J randomises whether Calvina or her subpilot gets the cutin. It happens that way with Touya too, so no matter which character you choose you'll always get some boobs bouncing around. :flirt

Decessor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
What you're seeing is the way that J randomises whether Calvina or her subpilot gets the cutin. It happens that way with Touya too, so no matter which character you choose you'll always get some boobs bouncing around. :flirt

Gotcha. Serves me right for looking at it at ridiculous o'clock. ;)

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »
Part 4.1: Sure, we only got seven people, but they have names, so they're totally more important than the millions of other martians.

The trick is indeed to attack the one in the crater, which allows you to do just enough damage to kill it. Extra funds and a free Repair Kit are ours.

I throw a few upgrades around, with what funds we have, mainly to weapons (the most expensive upgrade option) and Mobility (the second most). So theres' not enough to upgrade everyone who was requested.

And finally, we put Akito and Gai in the Air Frames like the others, to see how it works out.

Arthur really has such a punchable face, doesn't he? I guess with the red hair and freckles, he's meant to be Irish. Even in Japan, they know to keep the Paddies down...

YOU FLEW ACROSS THE INNER SOLAR SYSTEM IN 3 WEEKS.

Look, just because we set everything we see on fire does not make it a 'blazing situation'...

Man, this old guy really doesn't do much but agree with things, does he?

Its part of the entry fee for being a PC, Noel. If what she said and did made sense, the game wouldn't be as interesting.

Poor Jun. You just don't stand a chance. You're just too normal.

Oh, they understand, Ruri, but they assume the GMs just going to up the Encounter Level a bit, nothing they can't handle.

I get the distinct impression that Ruri has some kind of Tragic Backstory, but references like this are the only glimpses we see of it in this game. We never actually deal with what it is.

Calvina's team and the Blue Earth crew head to the vending machines, which is apparently the place to go to discuss how boned we are:

Noel, being pessemistic? Who'da thunk it?

I seriously don't remember this previous fight on Mars coming up in any detail in my earlier playthrough. I really thinking its a plot hook for Original Generations 3, but we can't prove that until it comes out.

Guess her player isn't that into the game yet...

Ooohh, hard luck fella.

I...wouldn't call what Yurika does 'controlling' her emotions. Its more.....'focusing'. With laser-sharp precision.

Meanwhile in the actually restaurant, Akito finally sounds like he's having some fun, doing his actual job.

I'm starting to think Gai just mistakes all his bodily functions for BURNING JUSTICE, and he happens to be incontinent.

Each of the three Bellzelute girls gets their own dietary quirk: Festenia is a big eater, Melua likes chocolate, and Katia consumes all joy in the room.

SUDDENLY!!

....Is he in a costume? Can we see it?

....Wait, are they still rolling?

This is possibly the only non-Akito-related thing she's done since level 1, so yeah, guys, lay off.

WHAT COSTUME?! Let us see it, you cheap bastards!!

You were practically shoving Eiji out on stage!!

YOU HAVE A FUNCTIONING ANTIGRAVITY DRIVE. YOUR SHIP IS FLYING A SIGNIFICANT FRACTION OF MARS' CIRCUMFERENCE IN A DAY OR SO. A TV SHOW WILL NOT CONSUME THAT MUCH ENERGY.

Gah....I feel cheated. I bet it was a hilarious costume too...