Author Topic: I HAVE FURY!!! Lets Play Super Robot Wars Judgement!  (Read 124827 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: I HAVE FURY!!! Lets Play Super Robot Wars Judgement!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »
I'd like to once again thank Gadwin Software for their freeware Printscreen program, for making this LP possible.
Eh? Pressing Alt+Printscreen captures the current window, you know. :p
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:03:38 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Gundam Optimal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »
PART 1-4: You mean theres an actual game?

It seems Akito shares my suspicions about Calvina. Oh well, onto the fight:

Here's the command menu for our unit, giving us our options. Move is self-explanatory, Land is the command to switch from flying to walking or vice versa, and Spirit access pilot spirit commands. Lets check status to see what we've got:

Here is the Aestivalis Akito Version (AKA the pink one, since emasculation is hilarious to the japanese), equipped with its Zero-G frame. 3600hp is about right for a Real Robot, though 110 Energy is actually kinda low (theres a reason for it though). The Aestivalis can travel on land or underwater, and can fly, but notice the terrain rankings: While it does well underwater or in space, it only has a B in Air or on Land. This affects its preformance significantly, as the B ranking would mean the unit can only use 90% of its stats in those terrains, something to note. Move 6 is normal for a real robot, as are the Mobility above 100 and the armor under 1000. Poor Akito starts at level 1, and Will (affecting damage and defense) is set at 100 at the start of every level (Items can improve this, and getting 50 or 100 kills lets you start at 105 or 110 respectively. Max is 150, there is not Break Will Limit in this game). AKitos stats are fairly normal too.

A quick look at the Aestivalis' more detailed stats reveals a couple of special abilities. Exchange means the mech can change Frames mid-battle, but you need a battleship to do this so it won't come up just yet. The Distortion Field is a very useful defense feature which reduces damage, but costs 10 EN each time you're hit. The G-Wave Antenna allows a unit to pick up Gravity waves to recharge its EN each turn, but again, you need the right battleship to send the waves, so we won't see this feature this time.

The Aestivalis' current weapons. The Immediate Knife and Rapid Rifle are usable straight away. The 'Gekigan Flare' requires you build up to 110 Will through fighting before you have the ballsy-minded suicidal streak determination to use it, and the Immediate Knife (C) is a Chain Attack, which requires a skill learned from equippable modules or from levelling up. Like units, Weapons have terrain ratings, which are affected by what terrain the target is in.

Akito currently only has 1 special skill: The Image Feedback System, which gives stat boosts: His stats increase by 2 points for every 10 points his will is above 100, which can be quite significant, but isn't the most gamebreaking.

Anyway, enough stalling, time for fighting. We approach an enemy and select the 'attack' option, to see our odds. We have no problems hitting these 'Battas', but they have good odds of hitting us too. Hmm, not the kind of numbers I like to see on a Real Robot...

We skip back and select Spirit, and sure enough, Akito has Focus, which we promptly cast.

Much better.

Nice. A Critical hit almost kills the thing, and it misses us in turn. Akito gets some XP for landing the hit, but not much: Its 500 to go up a level.

We have no other units, so we just open up the menu to end the turn. Unit List tells us our units, who's moved and who hasn't, their health, EN and other useful stuff. Reference lets you zoom to whoever has a certain Spirit Command or special skill you need. Theres a quick save option, and finally...

The ability to change each and every units Background Music that plays when they fight. Not the most useful feature for you guys, but it is interesting, and gives me an excuse to link some stuff:
Judgement Justice
GO! Aestivalis!

The nearby Jovian units attack on their turn, but only get counterattacked in turn. The weakened one is destroyed, netting much more significant XP gains and some cash.

One of the enemies actually manages to hit our hero, but to my mild surprise, the distortion field deflects the whole thing! Guess these really are cannon fodder enemies.

The increase to our Will improves damage slightly, so that on our next turn, attacking with the knife again, a similar crit one-shots the enemy.

Varying appraisals of Akitos competence come from the crew.

The Nadesico starts to head for the Underground Gate.

Now that Akito is closer, the Battas try their stronger Missile attacks (Dozens of flying Coke Cans in typical Macross fashion), but he's able to dodge and hurt and kill his attackers.

This nets him a level, and means he has enough Will to unleash his BURNING JUSTICE!!

Using the Distortion Field as a battering ram, Akito crushes the enemy like his childhood idol Gekiganger. I missed the screencap, but this crit did 4000+ damage, easily one-shotting an enemy. Shame it took so much Energy to do though. Also, note that Akito gets less XP now that his level is higher than these level 1 enemies.

With this new attack, Akito easily finishes off the remaining foes, causing, inevitably, more to arrive. This is SRW after all.

Calvina doesn't seem to have a high opinion of Gai. Can't imagine why...

So, seems we have some new arrivals:

....You're being paid by Nergal, remember? As are the other newcomers:

...I now have a mental image of Aki in a Commisars outfit.

LIAR.

This is SRW, Aki. Theres always time to have ten-minute-long conversations in the middle of pitched battles.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
I'd like to once again thank Gadwin Software for their freeware Printscreen program, for making this LP possible.
Eh? Pressing Alt+Printscreen captures the current window, you know. :p

Perhaps, but does it allow you to mash the capture key like a retarded gibbon, automatically pasting the images to the right folder with automatic names, for easy bulk upload to photobucket later? Because thats my LP style, capturing everything first time and then sorting it out later. I took, no joke, 584 caps of the first level alone. If I had to copy-paste each one into Paint, name it and save it individually, I'd go mad, and would probably have to excise most of the talking sections. I only plan to post plot-essential scenes and funny moments, but remember, this game has both Nadesico and FMP in it, so theres a lot of comedy to showcase.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »
PART 1-5: F**king Supermagnetic Robots, how do they work?

The previous event was triggered during the enemy turn, so the enemies get to act first. A few head towards Akito, but most attack the new arrivals:

As a Super Robot, Combattler has little ability to dodge attacks unless you use spirit commands, but it has far more armor and HP, so while a hit like this would be significant to a Real Robot without a forcefield, Combattler can take a few more of these easily.

SRWs famous Super-Deformed artstyle can have unfortunate implications for robots that use stomach-mounted attacks.....Still, good to know Combattler can finish off these dudes easily enough.

Note that despite doing the same amount of killing as Akito, the Combattler Team get less XP and Cash for their effort. This is the Favorite Series bonus at work.

Some attack the Blue Earth, which has Real Robot stats but not the biggest dodge chance. Oh well, better hope for the best...

It makes the first dodge, and hits back, but only does about 2000 damage with its lasers, its only weapon.

The second hits, but the Blue Earth has a barrier, just not as effective as the distortion field. I can't but notice that when they dodge, Noel takes the credit, but when they get hit, suddenly its Aki's fault.

Anyway, our turn, time to counterattack:

A handy melee attack from Combattler.

Blue Earth doesn't fight though, but goes about its real job, as a support unit for repairing damaged units and acting as a resupply station. Repairing 560hp might not seem much, but by the end of the game most repair units will be able to wipe away huge amounts of damage. Plus, its safe and plentiful XP for units that aren't great in direct combat.

As I mentioned before, Akito is low on energy from using Gekigan Flare. With only 21 energy left, he can't use it anymore, and theres no obvious way to recharge it...

Other than landing on this base and letting it recharge 20% a turn.

...Unfortunately we're too far away to get there this turn, so we move to a point where we can shoot an enemy and then get there next turn.

Oddly enough, this time the enemy hits, and the damage from the missiles actually gets through the distortion field, hurting the Aestivalis slightly and reducing EN even more.

Because it was parked beside Combattler to repair it, Blue Earth is in prime position to Support Defend it from the first enemy attack. Support Defense means the defender takes the hit instead, but only suffers half damage which can then be reduced by forcefields and the like. Its pretty handy for spreading damage around so that no one unit is in too much danger, but still, it can be annoying when your lighter units jump in front of a sturdy super and cripple themselves on an attack the super could easily have absorbed. It is possible to turn off support, but its the kind of thing you can easily forget to do.

The enemies hit by Blue Earth go for Combattler, who finishes them with its weakest attack.

Our turn again, and we find that Akitos Aestivalis is so low on Energy its barely able to fly, only able to move one square. We get around this by having it land and hoof it overland to get close enough to finish the last enemy.

Notice that even with Focus, the Batta still has a higher chance to hit than it did when Akito was in the air: Thats the B Rank on Ground having an effect.

We finish it off and then:

You're one to talk.

Then suddenly, out of a nearby canyon:

Its the enemy half of Turn 4, so apparently it took them less than 5 minutes, given that each minute is a turn generally.

....Huh.

Would have been better if we'd gotten money and XP for it, but its act of plot, so we'll have to do without.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:19:46 PM by Gundam Optimal »

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »
PART 1-6: Too many PCs means nothing ever gets done.

Oh Akito, you so tsundere.

Heh. Lady knows what she wants.

The incredible close-knit bonds of the Combattler Team, ladies and gentlemen. Given how they're supposed to unite their minds to make the robot join together, its a wonder it doesn't fall apart every five minutes.

Smooth, Noal. Real Smooth.

Our heroes, ladies and gentlemen.

We're almost dine, but time for a few more ominous voices.

Yes, because racist extremists can so easily get into top jobs worldwide to form global conspiracies. "Member of Kill All Spaceez, CE23 Onwards" looks so good on your CV when applying for Secretary of State.

I'd feel a lot worse about this backhanded compliment if it weren't so obviously true.

Thank you, Omnipotent Council of Doing Nothing.

Anyway, to the most important part of SRW, the Intermissions menu.

Theres all the expected elements: Saves options, Stats for pilots and units, another option to change background music, another chance to change the names of our original unit's (which we haven't recieved yet) attacks, and the option for the next level. But there are a few options I want to talk about in more detail.

One is Pilot Training, an option which is more comprehensive than the 'Just level them' of Alpha Gaiden, but far less in-depth than the PP system of Original Generations. Basically, for ever level a pilot is over 1, they get a stat point they can apply to any of the pilot stats. I generally only spend them when a pilot gathers 5 or 6 of them, and I spread them fairly evenly as all stats can be useful, but if you want me to use some other method, say so.

Here are the unit upgrade screens for Nadesico and Combattler, to point out some of the differences. One is that Nadesico has 15 upgrade bars for each main stat, where Combattler only has 10. Again, this is the Favorite Series bonus at work. Each bar is about a 5% bonus to each stat, so if you invest the money a favorited unit can have 175% to all stats. Expensive, but makes for some broken units. The other thing is that Nadesico has an extra stat, which represents it being able to swap a deployed unit for one that you didn't initially deploy a certain number of times a turn. Not an option I've ever really considered using, preferring as I do to stick with the units I have.
Weapons can be upgraded the exact same way, but for various reasons where always given a seperate upgrade page until the most recent games.

Equippable items are back as they always are, but right now, all we have are a consumable HP and EN refill each. Not the best. I'll put them on the Nadesico for now, unless there are objections.

Some units can be piloted by a choice of pilots, usually only Real robots but occasionally some lesser supers too. Right now, we don't have many units to pick between but we still have some options, namely choosing who is the main pilot and who the subpilot on the Nadesico and the Blue Earth.
[opinions]Its really academic who pilots the Blue Earth at this point, Aki and Noal are virtually identical statwise, with only a few points between them. You can access both pilots Spirits regardless so you never really lose any flexibility. For the Nadesico, however, its a more interesting choice. With Yurika at the controls, the Nadesico is sort of the fortress of your line: It gets a lot of support defenses to keep your units safe, and Yurikas Leadership aura enhances the dodge and defense of nearby units. With Ruri in command, however, it becomes an offensive juggernaut, with a high number of support attacks (which don't have the damage penalty they had in Alpha Gaiden), and her IFS system means that though her stats look the same as Yurikas, they'll grow the more the Nadesico fights. It sort of ties in which how you want our battleship to be used, supporting the troops or charging in as a combat unit in its own right.[/opinions]

Unit Variants allows us to see several of our units which can altered with different equipment. So far, only the Aestivalis can do this, switching between the Zero-G frame, the swift Air Frame, the ground-pounding Ground Frame and the heavily-gunned Artillery Frame. However, I'm not going to show you these right now [spoiler]because the next level is in space and Zero-G is the only feasible option.[/spoiler].

And finally, a feature that you're unlikely to have seen or expected if you'd only seen OG and Alpha Gaiden: Puzzle Robo! This is where a significant portion of the games cash is locked up, as well as some of the best gear: In special puzzle sections where you must use your knowledge of the games mechanics to fulfill various obligations. These don't have to be solved, but you'll have significantly less cash if you don't get them. They start out easy, but by the end they're fairly obnoxious, to the point that the Gamefaqs for them can take pages to explain. Still, it'll be fun to try, right?

Heres the objective for level 1: Keep Sayaka, pilot of Aphrodite A from Mazinger, alive for a turn. Sounds simple right?

Unfortunately this is a trash Aphrodite that is being held together with string and hope, versus an untouched Jovian Batta. Now, Aphrodite can't dodge (hit rates in Puzzle Robo are 100% unless you use Alert), its own weapons probably aren't enough to kill the Batta in one hit, and she has no Spirit points.
A depressingly common scenario for Sayaka, unfortunately...

Here is Sayakas movement range. It won't be enough to take her outside of the Battas attack range. WHAT WILL SHE DO?

So, your business as the audience are to solve the Puzzle Robo, choose who pilots what, and decide which unit will be getting the first couple of upgrades, and to what stats. Plus, feel free to bug me about anything else. Sound cool?

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 06:51:03 PM »
I aprove of wall of images.

Also you're kinda cheating with the intel of the puzzle robo. The trick it's that mountaints give a fat defense bonus to units standing on them. Combine with defense option and you can live one more turn.

Terrain defense only applies to units actually on the ground in planetary maps, giving a reason now and then for units to land and not be flying all the time.

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
Also you're kinda cheating with the intel of the puzzle robo. The trick it's that mountaints give a fat defense bonus to units standing on them. Combine with defense option and you can live one more turn.

Terrain defense only applies to units actually on the ground in planetary maps, giving a reason now and then for units to land and not be flying all the time.

Its not cheating so much that I don't have the time to explain everything in the game (and I was trying to finish the update after working on it for hours). If someone were to ask "Do you get more defense for hiding in the mountains?", or the like, I would have told them as much.

Balancing the defense bonuses from terrains with each mechs terrain ratings, and the need to move, is an important part of the strategy in the game, though probably not as much as learning to use supports, command auras and friendship/love bonuses, and how to pace your use of spirit points.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »
Balancing the defense bonuses from terrains with each mechs terrain ratings, and the need to move, is an important part of the strategy in the game, though probably not as much as learning to use supports, command auras and friendship/love bonuses, and how to pace your use of spirit points.
Well, when you have one those golden pieces of terrain that grant +25% defense/dodge and regen to life and energy, any of your units becomes able to face whole mook armies by itself whitout any other kind of support.

Judgement at least shows you the relationships right on. Back in my day, we had to figure out who loved who and who was just a friend by deducing their relationships. Sometimes clear as day, other times not so much (what do you mean Katina and Russel don't love each other? :shakefist)

But yeah, all that stuff important. Specially when stacking them over each other. It totally gives you a reason to do cool shoulder with shoulder formations, considering the terrain itself doesn't doesn't really you give any reason for properly organizing your troops.

Also, I notice now you're using Visual Boy Advance. You know it can take screenshots on it's own right? Even make short movies? Just saying because seeing the top of the window lowers the coolness factor for me. Still pretty cool mind you, but I'm left with the depressing feeling that the Nadesico crew uses some sort of Windows. :p

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 09:28:51 PM »
Also, I notice now you're using Visual Boy Advance. You know it can take screenshots on it's own right? Even make short movies? Just saying because seeing the top of the window lowers the coolness factor for me. Still pretty cool mind you, but I'm left with the depressing feeling that the Nadesico crew uses some sort of Windows. :p

I already said at the bottom of my first post, the VBA screenshot thing is just too slow for how I take pictures. I have to select the correct folder, and a different name for each one, and I take HUNDREDS of pictures each time. And theres no way to set it up to auto-name the screencaps or to pic the right folder. With Gadwin Printscreen, so long as I have the window selected, all I have to do is hit my chosen hotkey, and the screencap is taken, named and saved in the right spot without breaking the flow. I can let a battle scene play, take a dozen screencaps without pausing, and pick the best ones when I make the post here. The convenience is worth the price of the window bars. Also, I can choose the size of the picture by resizing VBA, to make it more comfortable to read.

Now, as for taking videos, thats a different thing. I wasn't really planning on doing it that often, because I dont have any editting software and I'm inexperienced with youtube uploads. Doing the game as a video LP doesn't appeal because that'd be 60 hours of gameplay, and I've have to start predicting where to pause things to insert snarks. However, if there a few places that people would like to see video, I might be willing to give it a try.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 09:42:13 PM »
Meh, I did the hundreds of pictures on my LP the "hard" way, but I also kinda have a masochist vein so nevermind that.

As for videos, I would strongly sugest you making a couple of battle ones per update. Animations are one of the main points of SRW, not really capturable by pictures, and you will know when to pause and when to stop easy.

Uploading to youtube... It's as simple as it gets really. Make account, press upload button, profit. I also started uploading to youtube precisely because of my LP, and their system is really newbie-friendly. Also learned a few tricks with windows movie maker later on, altough that's not really necessary for you should you choose to stay picture-video hybrid.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »
Doing the game as a video LP doesn't appeal because that'd be 60 hours of gameplay, and I've have to start predicting where to pause things to insert snarks.
You don't need to pause it. Just insert annotations through Youtube.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
Doing the game as a video LP doesn't appeal because that'd be 60 hours of gameplay, and I've have to start predicting where to pause things to insert snarks.

Or cut the video when needed with Windows Media player. It's the most basic trick.

Altough VisualBoy Advance will produce defective videos if you try to record 5+ minutes in one go in my experience, so you would have to record 3-4 videos per session while counting how much time each one lasts.

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »

What I mean is, I'd have to learn to leave enough space so that I can insert annotations. I tend to read very quickly, and so I power through the text sections of the game without pause. I'd have to learn to stop that and wait for the audience to read the game text as well as my own.

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »
So....Is anyone going to suggest any upgrades, or are we saving our money?

OvermanXAN

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »
Save our money til we have more units available. Unless something is very obviously going to be performing exceedingly well or exceedingly poorly, it's better to save upgrades to fix any deficiencies in the lineup. Besides, we haven't even gotten our original yet.
This space for rent

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 01:34:59 AM »
I rather like the image form myself, though it'd save a lot of pics(but a lot of work) to transcribe most of the conversations.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Stealthyboy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 04:28:43 AM »
I'd suggest giving Blue Earth a bit of an upgrade to its Mobility. Nothing too extravagant, just enough to make it a touch more dodgy.

That thing is probably one of the best support units there is in this game, given that it can both repair and replen, as well as being not overly bad at grunt softening, so it should probably end up on the final team anyway.

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 10:29:47 PM »
Part 2.1: This will all be relevant in another dozen updates, so its good to introduce it now.

As explained by our wonderful audience, the trick is to use the terrain bonus from the mountains. Sayaka survives with a mere 18 HP, which is about as good as she ever does in the Mazinger cartoon, and we pass the scenario and get our bonus.

This gives us just enough cash to upgrade the Blue Earths mobility by two bars. Not the biggest improvement, but its a start, as was requested.

We now return to the plot, to find ANOTHER Shadow Council of Vague People in progress.

Oh look! These guys are evil. What a twist.

We then cut to two faced stooges of the UEFA Military, Yurikas Father and the hilariously helpfully-named General Colbert. I'm sure theres no way I could use his name to mercilessly mock the entire organisation.

So is Dr. Snuggles rocket, and thats made of wood.

I won't go all out bitching about how this makes no sense, because most of the characters do that for me in-game.

...Wait, so you're sending one of your most decorated Admirals and his fleet, with the knowledge that its potentially a suicidal mission....To capture one civilian ship? Jesus, even the UEFA themselves know how much they suck!!

Now we skip elsewhere to take a peek at one of the other plots in the game, as the UEFA shake their fists in vain at yet another small group of civilians with better technology:

I've played through the game twice, once with Brain Powerd as a favorited series, and its plot still loses me at times. So don't ask me what a B-Plate is.

Uh...Didn't you just say you were here to look for Plates? It sounds to me your instructions were fairly clear.

Stop lying, Yuu.

We come to a ruined cityscape where a new character is seemingly trying to get two kids to safety.

Two really well-fed kids. Also, apparently these Plates have been studied enough for even the TV to get them right. That means they must have been around for years.

Brains only talk mentally, so we don't get anything but a weird sound like a robot whale would make. And do these really look like gentle eyes to you?

Brains have what I'll kindly refer to as a crotchpit to avoid bringing things down any further. Thankfully it doesn't protrude like the one from Zone of the Enders.

Hime quickly appoints herself as the 'childs' surrogate mother, and begins teaching it life skills and figuring out where its going to go to college. However, she's soon interrupted by the two Reclaimers from earlier:

Nope, still spelling it Powerd. Don't care. :P

Don't ask how they can talk to each other from the opposite ends of the city. It just works that way in SRW.

...Don't you have to destroy even if she does abandon it?

Brain Powerd and Grand Cher attacks are really tough to capture, because they continually teleport around the screen shooting clumps of random pixels. One to record to give the proper effect, if I get around to it.
Anyway, Yuu attacks but Hime Brains' forcefield is too strong, since this is a plot scene.

I'd question how useful the ability to stand there and be shot in the face is, but most of the Super Robots do nothing but and they're some of the best units.

Religious Zealotry finally meets a force that can counter it: An Irate Mother.

Yeah, don't want them leaving all that wreckage everywhere. It'd look messy.

Who knows, Hime. Ah well, he's probably noone important...

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 02:45:44 AM »
Part 2.2: Because more characters can't possibly slow the narrative down any more, right?

Thought that was the lead-in to the next level? Nah, that was basically just a cutscene. We return to the talking heads on the Nadesico, as Prospector explains they aren't gonna fire Akitos ass for his little stunt.

Tellin' ya. Guy has an employment fetish.

As the main character, Calvina knows how stuff like this is gonna work.

...Didn't you just accept Prospectors big fat paycheck 2 minutes ago?

Anyway, we have other characters to deal with.

"And by us I mean Noal."

At this point, some late arrivals turn up.

But no-one cares.

That really doesn't say why you wanted to go, especially as we find out in a minute that the mission objective is still secret. [spoiler]On Touyas route, theres a very good reason for it: They need to hide from the UEFA after Touyas mech causes an incident and they have to rescue him.[/spoiler]

With introductions done, Yurika gets back to the vital business of chasing Akito.

Well.....this is unexpected.

Phew! For a moment there, I thought the plot was going to turn serious.

Oops, no time for murder mystery now.

They do this kind of thing regularly? No wonder they hire so many PCs...

Also, massive donations to their super-science labs. That always speeds the desicion-making process.

Oh no!! A couple of kids are in danger!! That makes the plight of the millions of others on the planet so trivial!!

Gundam Optimal

• Email
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 01:53:17 PM »
Part 2.3: Oh no, its a plot hook! Run!!

With our destination established, Yurika returns to her hobby:

Uh-oh.

Yes, but you're civvies with a weapon of mass destruction under your belts. The military has some right to go 'Waaaaiiit a minute...".

Then again, if they had no problem with you building the thing in the first place, its kinda a dick move to go after it now.

One convenient wipe later:

She's declaring war on most of the Earths military, like any good PC would.

Buh-bye Daddy. See you once we've won the war single-handedly.

The peanut gallery feels the need to make commentary.

Calvina knows exactly how retarded the UEFA can get.

UEFA doesn't care about Mars People!

...Theres no context to that line. He just comes out with it.

...Whoops. Oh well, we'll avenge them I'm sure.

Calvina really doesn't like Gai, does she?

The real Super Robot pilots facepalm at Gais antics.

The Superelectomagnetic Robot Combattler V Comes Forth!

Our 5 deployable units for this level. Akito stays behind while Gai takes the stage this time.

And by 'take the Stage', I mean he takes most of the theater and fills it with delicious ham.

"And by 'support', I mean 'make me a sandwich'."

Minor point: One of the main features of the Nadesico is that, like Combattler, it has 5 sets of pilots, meaning it has all the Spirit commands it could possibly need. Right now, selection is tight, but that will change quickly as they get levels.

We move the Nadesico forward to engage the enemy, and a little warning icon pops up on Gais Aestivalis.

The reason for this is that he's now outside the Nadesico's Gravity Beam Range, so he can't be recharged. Moving him into the yellow boxes fixes this. Moving in space always costs EN, which can be a bit of a bummer for faster units.

Just a note: Gais spirits are entirely the kind you'd expect to see on a Super Robot pilot. No big shock there.

Another note. Hovering your cursor over Mazinger causes a heart to appear over Aphrodite A, to show that Koji loves Sayaka and will get bonuses to dodge, defense and damage if he's beside her. Since its mutual love, she gets the same bonus. [spoiler]Yurika gets a love bonus from Akito, but Akito only considers her a friend right now, so he doesn't get the damage boost. Not sure if this changes later.[/spoiler]

For the first turn, the Blue Earth is the only unit that can strike the enemy, and it gets hit in return. Not much damage, but annoying.

On the enemy turn, one of the battleships makes a longrange attack that the Blue Earth can't counter, so I set it to evade instead.

This time, the Batta try doing their own Gekigan Flares, but the Blue Earth manages to hold its own.

Several more attack Blue Earth and Combattler, before one makes a fatal mistake:

Needless to say, he's dead.

The infamous Choudenji Yoyo attack. Hey, it was the 70s, yoyos were still cool back then.