Author Topic: Break My Monstrumologist  (Read 5309 times)

TheVorpalTribble

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • *snicker-snack*
    • Email
Re: Break My Monstrumologist
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 12:04:32 PM »
Does "another creature with the same ability" mean "a different creature type" or "another individual creature"? As written it can be read as the latter, which means there's no reason you can't keep putting efreeti under the knife for all the Sp component-free Wishes per day you want.
Yes, if you found a second efreeti you could learn it a second time, and a third efreeti a third.

#1. How would you restrain and render helpless an efreeti for two hours?
#2. You wouldn't be able to cast it until 17th level.
The caster/manifester level of the power or spell must be one you'd be capable of if your level equaled your HD.
So by that point you get wish 3 times a day. So can a sorcerer.
#3. As many free wishes? You get 3/day of any gained ability. Max.
#4. How many efreeti do you normally encounter? Generally not three...

n Archivist/Monstrumologist 1 who found a domain with Planar Binding, for example, could bind any outsider she wanted and vivisect it for the abilities, slowly gaining new spells and SLA's each day by butchering called creatures.
"Impossible demands or unreasonable commands are never agreed to."

I would say 'Sit very still as I cut you into tiny pieces until you die for my informational curiosity' would be considered unreasonable.

I have a question, if you vivisect something with an at will spell like would you get it as an at will spell like or would you get it once per day? RAI seems once a day, but RAW implies at will.
3/day. Max. As written.

The wording of the prerequisites is slightly unclear - is only one feat of the four required, or is the "or" joining the last two feats? (This is mainly a problem with the clipped grammar commonly used for prerequisites.)
One of the four.

The main issue I see is that you get a lot from a one-level dip.
Possibly, but then again, I can take Metamorphosis and Metamorphic Transfer and use any of its spells up to 3/day.
Over hill, over dale, through bush, through briar, over park, over pale, through blood, through fire...

A Dying Ember
(Campaign Setting)

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
You don't need to get the outsider to agree to get vivisected when you call them with Planar Binding. You just need them to be there long enough to be bludgeoned into submission with nonlethal damage and debilitating spells. If you do it right, you can even have that happen in the surprise round.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

TheVorpalTribble

• *snicker-snack*
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »
If you can just summon these potentially helpless creatures willy nilly why not just make them XP fodder and keep leveling up?
Over hill, over dale, through bush, through briar, over park, over pale, through blood, through fire...

A Dying Ember
(Campaign Setting)

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 04:46:25 PM »
summoned creatures usually don't give xp.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

TheVorpalTribble

• *snicker-snack*
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 04:48:18 PM »
summoned creatures usually don't give xp.
Even if you are bringing them physically into the world, not just a 'seeming' like summoner nature's ally?

A Dying Ember
(Campaign Setting)

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »
If you can just summon these potentially helpless creatures willy nilly why not just make them XP fodder and keep leveling up?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 01:12:02 AM »
#2. You wouldn't be able to cast it until 17th level.
The caster/manifester level of the power or spell must be one you'd be capable of if your level equaled your HD.
Why?  The CL of an efreet's wish is 12.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.