Author Topic: Puerto Rico  (Read 5709 times)

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Re: Puerto Rico
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 02:31:48 AM »
Feh.  Why play a game with a victory scenario if you're not trying to win?  Well, it does have less randomness than Settlers.  I played Settlers on Xbox Live Arcade, and I swear the computer cheats by not rolling the #s I own.  But aside from that, I can't quite tell if I'll like it from "z0mgz, t3h ub@r"-type posts.  I'll have to find someone to show me how it goes to see what its like.

Matchstickman

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 12:15:17 PM »
But aside from that, I can't quite tell if I'll like it from "z0mgz, t3h ub@r"-type posts.
Until there's a reliable game reviewer (i.e. someone who reviews lots of games consistantly; like a film reviewer you don't necessarily agree with but know his likes/dislikes in relation to yours) try before you buy is pretty much the only way to go.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:06:10 PM by Matchstickman »
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 01:53:51 PM »
I've found that if I go to boardgamegeek there are so many reviews it's sort of like Amazon-- you get a really nice scope of all of the different perspectives on a game.  You can also read a bunch about games you know and find someone who has very similar taste and see what else they like. 

Even if there was a film-critic-esque review, I know I personally don't always agree with a lot of film critics.  Much more reliable to find someone with similar tastes and get recommendations from them. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 01:50:43 AM »
I believe that it is possible for me to tell you about a game in such a way that you can know whether or not you are interested.

The tricky part is figuring that out. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 12:40:53 AM »
I don't know if a week or so counts as necromancy yet, but I wanted to weigh in a little.

I think Puerto Rico is one of the five best games I've played ever, and I've played a lot of games. It's also one of the hardest. If you're playing to win, you need to do a lot of "okay, if I do this, then he'll will do that, and then she'll do this, but if I do this other thing then..." thinking. There are a lot of hard games out there that are hard for a lot of reasons. Puerto Rico is hard because there are many strategies to victory and just as many ways to screw your opponents, and a good turn will do both.