Author Topic: Low Level Adventure Help  (Read 1417 times)

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
Low Level Adventure Help
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »
I wish to run my friends through a one shot adventure to help one of them learn the basics of 3.5.  This means using initiative, undead immune to crits, and others things not in current game.  My plan is to write up 4 pre-made characters that are primarily tier 4-5 characters.  It will be undead heavy as it seems to be the theme with us so I know no rogues but things like monk, paladin, barbarian, and ranger would work just fine.  My questions are these:

I wish to have a guantlet style even where they have to face roughly three CR3 encounters in a row. First with skeletons, then zombies, then ghouls.  I figure four ghouls, eight zombies, and twelve skeletons would work (considering CR).  Am I correct with these numbers?

Next is does anyone know a good free program to make a dungeon?  I am fine with drawing one up but a program would be nice.  I am figuring two places to have safe zones inside a crypt like area.

Oh yeah one last thing.  Now I am thinking three bosses at the end.  It would be undead with classes and I am confused on how to figure CR.  Would I take a base like comoner people turned into undead then add on the classes or take the base level for the classes then add the CR from the template?

Thanks in advance.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Low Level Adventure Help
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »
Create the character you want to be an undead boss (like, for example, dwarf fighter 3/rogue 3).

Apply the undead template you want it to be, to it (Wight, Zombie, Skeleton, Dread Warrior... some undead, such as mummies or mohrgs, don't work so well as templates).

Assume it has had the Awaken Undead spell cast on it, or it is an alternate version that is not Mindless (juju zombie, dread warrior instead of skeleton etc), and so therefore ignore any parts of the template that try to change your character's int to zero or make it mindless or anything else like that.

Voila.  After you make the changes the template says to make (getting rid of Con score, giving undead type/immunities, giving any modifiers to attributes or abilities/skills (skeleton template's +4 untyped modifier to initiative, for example)), you should have the character ready to play.

However.  I would suggest giving these minibosses either the Unholy Toughness ability (MMIV) (lets them use cha mod instead of con mod to get bonus hp - normally you lose all bonus hp when you lose your con score cause of undead and all your HD get turned to d12s) or have them be created by a Dread Necromancer with either the corpse-crafter feat or a desecrate effect - giving them +4 HP per HD.

As written, characters with undead templates don't make good minibosses cause due to no con score they go down too fast, especially the fighter types.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »
You are once again a savior to me.  Ty so very much for the info. 

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:19:05 AM »
+1 on notes above.

For graphics, if you can draw at all, make a grid of 1 inch squares in Paint (every PC has it as a utility) and draw various room details.  Even if you can't draw, it still gives you rooms and corridors and so forth, and is visually more attractive than defining the map space with legos or whatever.

Also if you can't draw, google stuff, copy the image, and shrink it to fit your 1x1" square(s).

Most new players won't care that the 10' wide corridor is not stone-textured.  The game speaks for itself.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:51:23 AM »
Most new players won't care that the 10' wide corridor is not stone-textured.  The game speaks for itself.
Fixed that for ya.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:22:09 PM »
 :D :D :D

Arigato!!  I have a day to go if I wish to do the game tomorrow or a week if I feel like waiting.  Still awesome ideas.  I am decent in paint to make things.