Author Topic: Nytemare's Class Rewrites: Druid  (Read 1720 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Nytemare's Class Rewrites: Druid
« on: March 06, 2011, 05:49:41 AM »
The Druid

Druid Changes:

Wild Shape rules excerpt: The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with.
Correction: The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid has spent at least 1 hour interacting with, as well as identified via the appropriate knowledge check. Variants (such as a Hydra with extra heads, or the cold subtype) must be learned separately.
Duration Change: Minute/druid level, down from Hour.

Animal Companion Change: The Druid advances its animal companion with a -3 to her druid level to determine the advancement.

Discussion:

On "Wildshape Duration": Now it's a limited duration buff, not a all day form. Should it go down to Round/level?

On Wildshape Correction: Now cherrypicking will be less rampant in druid forms, returning it to the nature-themed roots and making RP between the druid and the campaign world more important.

On Animal Companions: Much less powerful. Now just another tool in the arsenal of a very flexible class.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Nytemare's Class Rewrites: Druid
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 05:58:44 AM »
Me, I'd make it take less time to change, but have total minutes/day instead of X uses which each lasts /hours.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:03:20 AM »
With the requirements of the forms chosen with Wild Shape the nerf to duration may even be unnecessary, but I like it being there. I would suggest an "Extended Form" feat allowing the Druid to choose one Wild Shape form he knows and extend the duration to 1 hour/level. Another suggestion would be to cap the number of forms the Druid can know. I don't know what formula would be best, 1 form known per Druid level, 3 forms known per Wild Shape use per day, who knows, but given that Wild Shape is as powerful (or more so) than any level equivalent spell, and that most spellcasters have a limited list of spells known (stupid Cleric), I feel it's only reasonable to limit the Druid's Wild Shape forms.

Compare the half-progression Animal Companion to a full-progression Familiar. If by comparison the Animal Companion is significantly less useful you might as well get rid of it. On the other hand, if it offers about as much use as a full-progression Familiar then you're probably right on the money.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:10:30 AM »
Rather than half-progression, I say -3 progression might be better. Or else give them full progression, but must divide it amongst multiple companion.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »
Rather than half-progression, I say -3 progression might be better. Or else give them full progression, but must divide it amongst multiple companion.

I was following the ranger's example, which was only useful as a scout and RP aid, rather than a combat presence.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 09:18:31 AM »
Yeah well, -3 makes it usefulish, but it won't be a Fighter Replacement.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]