Author Topic: Chained Shield Other  (Read 2308 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Chained Shield Other
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:21:46 PM »
Let's assume I'm a Cleric who uses Chain Spell on shield other.  All the targets have the appropriate focus.

How is damage split?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Chained Shield Other
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 11:24:25 PM »
All the damage comes at you. In BoED there is a spell that's basically Chain Shield Other without the metamagic and at a lower level.

TeslaWolff

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »
What's the best way to take advantage of that? Some ubertank/caster build or something?
"What does monk stand for? Master Of Not Killing."

Knowledge is power. Arm yourself for battle.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:34:19 PM »
More or less. Delay Death + Masochism perhaps.

I've always thought Psions were in better position to abuse this, they have Vigor + Share Spells with Psicrystal (Which has 8 Hardness btw), plus a number of other tanky powers.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:37:57 PM »
Get Regeneration on the Tank so the damage is Nonlethal. Even if it knocks the Tank out, the effect will continue.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

TeslaWolff

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:47:32 PM »
Get Regeneration on the Tank so the damage is Nonlethal. Even if it knocks the Tank out, the effect will continue.

That's a good job for a monk actually since he can't do anything else might as well soak up all the damage. Lol
"What does monk stand for? Master Of Not Killing."

Knowledge is power. Arm yourself for battle.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 02:17:39 AM »
I wonder if I can somehow force such an effect on a target? Then, my blasts will do times n the damage, and ignore the target's save.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sharePainForced.htm

Works, but isn't enough and has a save.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 03:28:15 AM »
This + Delay Death and Beastland Ferocity, both made Persistent if at all possible.  A delayed Revivify when the durations are about to wear off is handy, too.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 05:33:05 AM »
I wonder if I can somehow force such an effect on a target? Then, my blasts will do times n the damage, and ignore the target's save.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sharePainForced.htm

Works, but isn't enough and has a save.

Binders can use a vestige that sends half the damage from them to a target.  One more reason why Archivist 3/Binder 1/Anima Mage 10/Tenebrous Apostate 5/Tainted Sorcerer 1 is the strongest build ever.

JaronK

tomoqiel

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:28:05 AM »
I was just fiddling around with shield other, as I'm currently playing a very tanky character. and I believe that I may have found the sollution, since the wording is as it is.

the spell distinctly say: "the subject takes only half damage from all wounds and attacks" and then goes on to say: "The amount of damage not taken by the warded creature is taken by you". so what if I can't take the damage? say, if I have a mystic shield on me for instance (anouroch p.142). the spell shields me from all magic effects of level 6 and lower.
this should mean that the target of the shield other should still only take half damage, but the damage never gets to me. easy-peasy.