Author Topic: With so much magic, how can civilization exist?  (Read 5423 times)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Re: With so much magic, how can civilization exist?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Yeah but ... that's assumed. I don't see the relevance. If he's making the world, he's the DM, and he can have the world exist as he wants it. If he wants everyone to be clerics and wizards, okay, but he can perfectly well consider making everyone magewrights and adepts instead. If he wants everyone to be clerics and wizards, that would be a more sensible response to provide. Um, hence my confusion.  :)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 11:18:17 AM »
Yeah, I don't see it either, but its all he could have meant.

Still, consider how much resources are expended just to keep civilization existing at all, it makes a little more sense.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 09:51:56 PM »
Craft Contingent Spell would be like nuclear weapons: if your enemies take any hostile action, they will deeply regret it.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 12:51:41 PM »
"An armed society is a polite society"

If nothing else people will have a healthy respect for each other. And I'd imagine that the abjuration school become much more desireable due to all the anti-magic spells it has like protection from alignment, dispel magic, and mindblank.

A lot of this too will depend on if the society is lawful or not. A lawful society will probably have lots of rules and regulations detemining how and when you can use certain types of magic and will likely have a 'magic police' to keep things in order. Actually now that I think about it it would not be unsimilar to the Harry Potter universe.